Student film about Salem Witch Trials- need advice!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ellewoods2001
Hi, in my film class the assignment for our FINAL GRADE (this isn't due until December, but I want to film in the fall to get the halloween-feel) is to make our own movie. My group and I decided to make a partially true, partially fiction movie about the Salem Witch Trials. We kind of snazzed up the story a bit though-there are these three real witches in Salem (but they always go to Church and have immaculate reputations so no one suspects them) and if they don't like a certain girl or something they get her in trouble for witchcraft by framing her and eventually- well, she gets hanged. So anyways I need some ideas for costumes on this NO budget movie, I want it to look cool and not cheapo though.. anyways, i need some ideas for special effects involving magic scenes, and remember this is not a true story so yes there is magic in it, and i dont want it to look tacky. also, does anyone know how i can use a green screen or some sort of chroma key to make it look like their standing on air or something, or maybe to make things look like they're floating? and i also need to know where to get a cheap chroma key and software... thanks to any one who's willign to help me out a little! smile

GCG
squibs

FeceMan
Originally posted by Ellewoods2001
Hi, in my film class the assignment for our FINAL GRADE (this isn't due until December, but I want to film in the fall to get the halloween-feel) is to make our own movie. My group and I decided to make a partially true, partially fiction movie about the Salem Witch Trials. We kind of snazzed up the story a bit though-there are these three real witches in Salem (but they always go to Church and have immaculate reputations so no one suspects them) and if they don't like a certain girl or something they get her in trouble for witchcraft by framing her and eventually- well, she gets hanged. So anyways I need some ideas for costumes on this NO budget movie, I want it to look cool and not cheapo though.. anyways, i need some ideas for special effects involving magic scenes, and remember this is not a true story so yes there is magic in it, and i dont want it to look tacky. also, does anyone know how i can use a green screen or some sort of chroma key to make it look like their standing on air or something, or maybe to make things look like they're floating? and i also need to know where to get a cheap chroma key and software... thanks to any one who's willign to help me out a little! smile
The "witches" during that time period did things that didn't have fancy special effects--like (allegedly) taking control of another's body, putting curses/hexes that had more subtle effects than flying around or shooting lightning bolts.

GCG
yes Squibs for lightning bolts

ElectricBugaloo
how about adding a good storyline?

jaden101
if period costumes are out of the question due to budget then why not simply do what baz luhrmann did with romeo and juliet and give it a contemporary look...keep the witch hunt theme but apply it to a modern concept...immigratants, sex offenfers, something like that

botankus
Give Winona Ryder a call. I'm sure she could use the work.

FeceMan
Originally posted by ElectricBugaloo
how about adding a good storyline?
WTF are you babbling about? Those went extinct years ago.

BondJamesBond
Use homeless people...they work for food

botankus
So where's the critique for this thread's responses, Brianna? Even though my help in the other forum was basically a recipe for suicide, what about the responses from the good folks of the GDF? I like the homeless people idea, too.

Ellewoods2001
well i dont know if you're insulting me or what. all the people at this other forum thought it had a great storyline and were really excited to see it

tabby999
call it Harry Potter and The Salem Witch Trials and everyone will love it

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.