Student film about Salem Witch Trials- need advice!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ellewoods2001
Hi, in my film class the assignment for our FINAL GRADE (this isn't due until December, but I want to film in the fall to get the halloween-feel) is to make our own movie. My group and I decided to make a partially true, partially fiction movie about the Salem Witch Trials. We kind of snazzed up the story a bit though-there are these three real witches in Salem (but they always go to Church and have immaculate reputations so no one suspects them) and if they don't like a certain girl or something they get her in trouble for witchcraft by framing her and eventually- well, she gets hanged. I'm very excited to be filming this and I'm going to visit some relatives so I'll have the opportunity to get some shots of the real Salem (although it's very modernized now) and some other isolated New England towns. I need some ideas for costumes on this NO budget movie, I want it to look cool and not cheapo though.. and more importantly some ideas for special effects involving magic scenes, and remember this is not a true story so yes there is "real"magic in the storyline, and i dont want it to look tacky. also, does anyone know how i can use a green screen or some sort of chroma key to make it look like a person is standing on air or something, or maybe to make things look like they're floating? and i also need to know where to get a cheap chroma key and software. my cousin used pinnacle and a blue sheet and it worked but looked REALLY obvious.. thanks to any one who's willing to help me out a little! smile

botankus
To insinuate the illusion of floating, tie fishing line around their stomachs and hang them from a ceiling fan. That really does the job and it's cheap, too!

T.M
Originally posted by botankus
To insinuate the illusion of floating, tie fishing line around their stomachs and hang them from a ceiling fan. That really does the job and it's cheap, too!

good idea, quite dangerous though yes

botankus
Yeah, but if they can't find any fishing line then I would recommend using piano wire.

T.M
Yeah, but if they can't find any fishing line then I would recommend using piano wire.

again a good idea. still might hurt a bit yes

MildPossession
If it's a film class assignment, doesn't the school have a studio to work in with all the equipment to use for the students??

botankus
Originally posted by T.M
again a good idea. still might hurt a bit yes

If it's too painful wrapped around your stomach, the neck is much tougher. Tie it around the neck portion and then let go of the ceiling fan. As long as you have the piano wire there, it will only be minor pains, but the stunt quality will be exceptional.

botankus
If you're modeling characters after The Crucible, casting will be easy. Just go to your nearest mall and pick any female standing outside, loitering beyond belief, and wasting their evening. Odds are they will be perfect for the bratty characters you need to play these witch-girls. They could probably ad-lib it, too. Just take away their cell phone during the scenes that require the biggest temper tantrum.

Ellewoods2001
wow, you people are very immature. i came here thinking i'd get some good advice. wow. and no, we have to use our own equipment and everything

magic_hate_ball
well as im pretty sure you can look up what they wore and make costumes based on that....Black clothing and im sure someone can make bonnets and hats for the men....as far as special effects go if its possible to use computers at school(esp if its the A/V dept.) im sure they can help you with pointers on how to do sfx...smile
piano wire indeed....glare

botankus
Originally posted by Ellewoods2001
wow, you people are very immature. i came here thinking i'd get some good advice. wow. and no, we have to use our own equipment and everything

Well, Brianna, you've come here before asking the same questions. In June it was for an action movie. Did you already finish that one? I think you should take these projects one at a time. Besides, up in Detroit your Lions are undefeated - you should be concentrating on getting them another win and to change those ugly uniforms they've switched to.

magic_hate_ball
Well, Brianna, you've come here before asking the same questions. In June it was for an action movie. Did you already finish that one? I think you should take these projects one at a time. Besides, up in Detroit your Lions are undefeated - you should be concentrating on getting them another win and to change those ugly uniforms they've switched to.
does everyone have to flame?
embarrasment

botankus
No, they don't. Tell Briana to cool it with the harrassing talk ("you people are very immature"wink and this thread will be as perfect as it was when it was originated last night.

MildPossession
I am just tring to take in that somewhere that offers a film class doesn't have any equipment to let you use?

That's like offering photography but telling you to go build your own dark room...

Ellewoods2001
No, its not like NY film academy or something where they give you everything to do it. This is just a highschool class. And about the action thing, I was going to do that but I ended up getting this class first semester when I'll have to film it in the winter, and in Michigan it's freeezing in the winter. I was hoping to get this film class 2nd semester because I'm going to Florida and I could have filmed some scenes there. AND I also realized that yes, you were right, I was stupid and an action movie is very unoriginal and difficult to do. OKay so anyways, I'm not trying to get myself over my head here, this is a group project and we've decided to do it about the Salem Witch Trials. I thought it was a brilliant idea and I'm going to Boston to visit relatives for Thanksgiving, so I can get some stuff from Salem and everything. So now will you PLEASE take me seriously because this isn't some like elaborate project that I was planning on earlier so I don't see what you have to make fun of me about.

Cinemaddiction
Everyone chill out, and just submit your input accordingly.

m4cepingu
woah

tabby999
just call it Harry Potter and the Salem Witch Trials and everyone will love it

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.