Finally: A Holy Grail of DVD Collecting Is Mine

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cinemaddiction
I've been holding off on sharing this news, mainly because I wanted it to be in my possession before doing so. I've been wanting this disc for the absolute longest time, but have never had the funds to spring for it. Often times it would reach $200 on eBay, lately, closer to $150, with hordes of R0 and illegal bootleg copies. Either way, well out of my league.

In fact, there is another surprise to follow this one, but this purchase is probably the most meaningful and intimate of them all for me, and to a lot of you, it won't mean a bloody thing.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present MY latest addition, Image Entertainment's out of print and discontinued title, easily their hardest to obtain release, Joseph Newman's "This Island Earth"

(The auction I won, in case you don't believe me..)

The Ones
well done.

Red Superfly

tabby999
dont mean to be rude cine, but what makes said dvd so special?

MildPossession
I saw someone selling a COPY of that once for in the $60 range, what a cheek. Well done Cine.

Cinemaddiction
Thank you, guys. My hands were literally shaking when I was opening this. There has only been 1 other copy in the past month on eBay, which went for $25 more. Feels good to have it out of the way finally!

Oh, cost me $90 (US) by the way. Rather cheap, all things considered.

Mandorallen
Well played Cine' Well played. the most rare DVD I HAVE BOUGHT. (not including my entire family) is my Mr. brown sleeved, Reservoir Dogs DVD.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2131/img33057rd.th.jpg

I've also got one of the first edition slim-lines of schindlers list.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1534/img33082ev.th.jpg

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/3280/img33075ov.th.jpg

still doesn't compare, but my best none the less.

BackFire
Awesome Cine, I know how great it feels to finally get a movie you've been looking for for a long time, happened to me with Cannibal Holocaust, Battle Royale and Salo.

Too bad you hadn't told me about this movie though, I'm willing to bet they had some copies at the Comic Con I went to, though it may have been bootlegged, the quality woulda been more or less the same, and only woulda cost 20 bucks or so.

But you may want the official edition, in which case congrats on finding a movie you've been wanting for so long. But 90 bucks...damn that's a lot of money for any movie...especially considering the amount of obscure cult movies being released on DVD as of late.

Cinemaddiction
Yeah, I wanted the real deal. That's just me. If they do re-release it, I'll be able to get back what I spent without a problem.

Mandorallen
haha. good point.

one day I hope to get all the reservoir dogs "speacial sleeves" DVD's.

*sigh* damn i'm jealous cine'

tabby999
so, ah, as i asked before, whats the dealio with your love of this movie cine?

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by tabby999
dont mean to be rude cine, but what makes said dvd so special?

Image Entertainment lost the distribution rights to this movie in 2001, and so they stopped producing it. It's a VERY popular movie, contrary to popular belief, has been very desirable, and thus goes for a lot of money on the secondary market, because of so many bootlegs and Region 0 copies of it. Even the VHS goes for $20-$25.

Personally, I saw it a while back and has been one of my favorite movies for a long, long time. I've never seen it in a shop, and probably never will. When I saw it was available, luckily, I had the $100 to fork over for it. Knowing I own it finally, and I don't ever have to worry about looking all over eBay for it, not having to pay $200 on Amazon.com for it is well worth the money.

It's ONE of my TWO DVD holy grails. The other, I'll be sharing with you guys in a day or two I hope. Stay tuned.

The Highlord
Well thats very nice Cine smile very nice indeed, and I too know how it feels to get a piece like that in once hands, I exspirianced this when i got a movie or rather a mini series called MASADA, I just recalled seeing it when I was like 5 or so, then just mounths ago, I saw several auctions on ebay, and I was like sitting infront of the pc all day to just watch the auctions, and then pickin the one that wasint going so high, and luck was with me and I won it big grin a great mini series btw, too bad its only released on VHS sad but it has its place amoung my DVD's big grin , anyway did you get the other ''holy grail'' Cine?

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by The Highlord
anyway did you get the other ''holy grail'' Cine?

Affirmative. Just to save you some time, it was "Mystery Science Theatre 3000: The Movie" on DVD for $64. Last 2 times before, it sold for $150, and $100 respectively. Same deal. Out of print, impossible to find, same company, gone for 4 years.

gregmss
Dude your cool, I thought I was a DVD collector but no my dear cinemadiction you are cool and a worthy opponent int the world of DVD collecting

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.