Machiavelli

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheQuincy
What are your opinions on Machiavelli's philosophy on people being naturally bad? It may seem negative but it is possible truth.

Shakyamunison
It would be against my religion. I am a Buddhist, and I believe that the Buddha (God) is in all of us and everything. If a person was totally evil, then God would be evil. People can do evil things, but what is evil?

To me, what the terrorists did on 9-11 was evil, but to many people in the world it was divine and good, the work of god.

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by TheQuincy
What are your opinions on Machiavelli's philosophy on people being naturally bad? It may seem negative but it is possible truth.

Isn't that name of Tupac's clothing line?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Inspectah Deck
Isn't that name of Tupac's clothing line?

Wow! is that what it is? embarrasment I thought it was... oh never mind.

laughing

Great Vengeance
I agree with him, people are inherently bad, a person with strong will may overcome this tendency and become good but it is not natural. "Well most people follow the rules and are good citizens" you say? This is a direct result of law enforcement, without it most people wouldnt follow any moral codes, need an example? Its happening in new orleans right now, looting, rapes, even murder is a common event once you strip the constraints of society.

Storm
People are individuals who develop in large part due to their experiences. We are inherently human, and subject to many limitations and failings.

Eclipso
People are not inheirnetly bad. We just have impulses that can lead to bad actions, some people simply have more control over them then others.

quickshot
men are born good but corrupted by the society in which they live~Jean Jacques Rousseau. We aren't born bad but others make us bad then we make others bad

Fire
Originally posted by Quincy
Machiavelli mistook evil for corruptable, undisciplined and lack of morals.

When Machiavelli wrote his books he talked about his own 'country' Italy. At that time Italy was divided into about 5 major states. All being pretty powerful but none being powerful enough to unite the country, which is what Machiavelli wanted. He blamed the church for this, but that's beside the point.

What is the point that Machiavelli thought that in a republic people wouldn't be so corrupt, they would have morals and they would have discipline. So in a republic people would not be naturally bad or naturally evil.

inamilist
most research shows people are more "good" than bad, and will bend over suprisingly far backwards to help someone they percieve to to be in need.

The concept of reciprical altruism is very important here. not to mention kin based altruism and genetic survival.

Tangible God
Humans have the potential to be both bad and good, none of us is inherently born to one extreme. Our experiences growing up determine who we are. However, in times without widespread or enforceable laws, and in such conditions as the 16th century Florence, like Machiavelli's time, "badness" and corruption rather rampant, it's not hard to see why Niccolo felt humans were naturally bad.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.