Wonderism

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Wonderer

debbiejo
How wonderful...you named a thread after yourself... wink

Many things fit nicely into boxes to make others feel comfortable...but as with many things....they can't....Metaphysics is one of them....Everything belongs into a big "Whole"...of ONE, I feel....There is just too much evidence to deny it...If a person looks or experiences it.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Firstly, welcome back...Wondericus.

Secondly, SA may have been part of the cradle, but we've grown-up since then.

Thirdly, just because we can't absolutely answer why 'it' is, doesn't mean that 'it' is an absolute mystery.

Fourthly, if we cannot talk in absolutes, then we cannot state that there is absolutely no nothingness.

Fifthly, the implication of us 'knowing' that we should treat people how we would like to be treated does give us an implicit notion of 'good' and 'bad' - at the very least, on a personal level.

Sixthly, depending on your definition of 'real', your final statement could be considered inherently false.

Finally, I enjoy reading your opinions.

Wonderer
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Firstly, welcome back...Wondericus.

Thanks, but welcome back from where?

Well, the world's oldest skeletal human forms are still found in South Africa (Sterkfontein Caves)

It must be a mystery if the most essential what and why of existence still eludes our knowledge. It is an absolute mystery because in the absolute sense we do not know existence.

Exactly. I agree, that's why I say existence is a mystery.

It's not a matter of 'knowing' how to treat people, but rather a matter of deciding for our own sake to treat them as ourselves. 'Knowing' or knowledge of correct treatment would imply a source of conduct which we discover and conform to - there is no such source, that's why it's rather a decision based on our own well being. Rather than an 'implicit notion', it is a realisation of what is beneficial and what is detrimental to the our personal condition.

I disagree. In this case of 'imagination makes things real or unreal' the 'imagination' takes a side and perceives itself as 'real' and that which contradicts its essence, as unreal. Nothing false about the condition.

Thanks, I enjoy reading your comments.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Wonderer

It's not a matter of 'knowing' how to treat people, but rather a matter of deciding for our own sake to treat them as ourselves. 'Knowing' or knowledge of correct treatment would imply a source of conduct which we discover and conform to - there is no such source, that's why it's rather a decision based on our own well being. Rather than an 'implicit notion', it is a realisation of what is beneficial and what is detrimental to the our personal condition.

True...it's a learning experience....many have tried to teach it, but many don't grasp it, and it makes hell ones own....

finti
still but have they found skeltal older than that of Lucy? Also I read some weeks ago about a find in asia they said could match the age of Lucy havent heard more about it though

debbiejo
I saw Lucy in Chicago....think it was Lucy....

finti
Lucy in the sky with diamond

debbiejo
NO....Lucy full of bones!!! laughing out loud

LSD.....wasn't in Chicago...

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Thanks, but welcome back from where?

I think you know what I'm refering to...

Like I said - we may have began there, but we've moved on...It's like saying: 'Kindergarten - the birth of education'....catch ma flow, yo?

Let me speak plainly...It's not an absolute mystery because we know something, but we just don't know everything.

It may seem that I am playing with semantics here, but I'm not; existence may be a mystery, but it's not an absolute mystery.

From an anthropological perspective, the essence of quality - good/bad, etc - is a notion formed by society. Therefore, our history is our measure of quality. Ergo, we do have a solid foundation to refer against in regards to 'good' and 'bad'.

The 'real' of the mind is different from the 'real' of the physical.

Wonderer
Originally posted by finti
still but have they found skeltal older than that of Lucy? Also I read some weeks ago about a find in asia they said could match the age of Lucy havent heard more about it though

Yes, it is older than Lucy.

Wonderer
I think you know what I'm refering to...

Ok.

I merely stated an interesting fact. Whether we have moved on is debatable...well, some of us definately haven't moved on. haha!

Exactly, if we don't know everything, it is an absolute mystery.

Yes, but we (those of us with brains) still probe society's moral codes and then decide what to accept. The point is that society's ethical ideas originated from what I call 'a realisation of personal benefit'

Not clear. What is mind and what is physical? We don't know, so it's mysterious again.

Be humble and admit that we know nothing...it is questionable whether we really and truly know anything.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Exactly, if we don't know everything, it is an absolute mystery.

Saying it's an 'absolute mystery' implies that we know nothing, but I belive we know something.

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

An individual's imagination cannot be subjected to another individuals comparison. However, the composition of 2 different types of rocks can be subjected to tangible comparisons.

You're getting all Socratic on me! I like it!

Wonderer
Saying it's an 'absolute mystery' implies that we know nothing, but I belive we know something.

So, we know something of the great mystery? What is this 'something' we know?

um..the chicken...or was it the egg...it was the instinct in this case.

Now that's mysterious. Just shows that we know even less than nothing.

What constitutes 'two distinct individuals'? Imagination...?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
So, we know something of the great mystery? What is this 'something' we know?

If we know absolutely nothing, then why do we even search? We must know something to consider the possibility of something more...

If it is instinct that denotes our comprehension of 'quality', then it is a universal concept.

I refer to an individual in the physical sense that we function biologically independent from each other.

Wonderer
Your arguments doesn't follow logically, but assumes.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Your arguments doesn't follow logically, but assumes.

If - as you propose - we know nothing, then why would the use of logic be the best solution to knowing something?

Shakyamunison
If - as you propose - we know nothing, then why would the use of logic be the best solution to knowing something?

Any time we think of something, we constrain it into a model (an understanding). The universe is not a model and can not be understood. However, if this is kept in mind, models can be used to improve understanding as long as they are always questioned.

Wonderer

Our use of Logic is natural, but I do not mean that it is a 'best solution to knowing something'.

You assume that we know something, based on the premise that we 'want to know more', BUT the 'want to know more' does not imply that we already know something.

Where do you suppose we get this assurance from that we what we consider to be knowledge, really is knowledge? It is nobody but ourselves that tell us that we know things.

Also, if we do not know the essence of things, then we cannot really say that we know things, because we cannot rely on only knowing a bit of something.

How do we know that what we know has any real meaning? We are too small to know. Why do you think that we don't think insects really knows anything? Because they are too small and not aware of the bigger picture. It's the same with us - we are not really aware of the bigger picture.

There is no 'god' in the sky to verify our 'knowledge'.

debbiejo
It's part of our nature to want to inquire about the unknown...All throughout history....and the more we find the more we understand...and the more we want to know....But we will probably never know everything...not in this life in human form...maybe not after either....just another unknown...But hey, the ride is fun... big grin
What is this wanting to know anyway...where did this come from?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.