Is Thor Bulletprooff?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mindship
Just read this in another thread and it got me a-thinkin'.

The only time I've seen Thor shot at and get hit was just before his first encounter with the Destroyer. The hunter who later found and animated the Destroyer, managed to take Thor out first with a tranquilizer bullet.

As for demoralizing. Hell, what can be more demoralizing that seeing bulletproof skin, as opposed to a whirling hammer or bracelets? I dont know about you guys, but I'd be thinking, "Man, if I could just get one shot past his hammer / her bracelets...!"

Mindship
Sorry. In my haste to post, put this in the wrong forum. Well, let's just pretend...

olympian
You have examples of both in his comic.

Moreso that he is, than he isent IIRC.

K3VIL
Thor can take Power Cosmic blasts.
Bullets hurt him when the writer is dumb.

olympian
> caughbusiekcaugh <

Scoobless
bullets can't hurt him....... nuke level explosions don't bother him too much either apparently

olympian
Thats why its stupid to have him even bothered with bullets.

Great scan there.

BlaqChaos
Hey, wasn't that scan Ultimate Thor?

wannabe
A person who is able to take hits and blasts of cosmic level and survives a nuke without a bruise HAS to be bulletproof.
K3VEL is right wis his comment should Thor be written vulnerable to them.

Scoobless
Originally posted by BlaqChaos
Hey, wasn't that scan Ultimate Thor?

no, it's from Thor Disassembled.... yes, Odin is dead at this point, but No, Thor doesn't have the Odin power there

roughrider
Originally posted by K3VIL
Thor can take Power Cosmic blasts.
Bullets hurt him when the writer is dumb.

Absolutely right - drive me nuts. He and Wonder Woman should both be declared bullet resistent, at least.

Wynndar
In the secret wars Thor was in an alien thunderstorm that had rain drops hitting as hard as magnum bullets and thor was just hanging out enjoying it.

Cameron Scott
Thor, like Wonder Woman should be invulnerable to bullets due to the physics involve. If they aren't, then it shows that the writers really needs to go back to High School imo.

I can understand being invulnerable to physical forces and being vulnerable to heat, but against a person who can survive reentry of the Earth, he shouldn't even notice bullets.

Khellendros
Thor's survived in the center of the friggin sun, no way should a bullet should do more than get his attention.

leonidas
<<Thor's survived in the center of the friggin sun, no way should a bullet should do more than get his attention.>>

nuh-uh . . . that wasn't 'really' the center of the sun when he visited atum. thor states he was in some kind of 'sphere' in the heart of the sun. i've always taken that to mean he was in some sort of 'magical plane' hidden within the sun itself. thor has never been shown (before or since) to be able to fly through stars.

as for bulletproof -- a recent black panther issue caused a stir when thor is ko'd by a sniper bullet that hits his head. he is said to have to spin his hammer because bullets are capable of 'stinging' him. both have been portrayed as true though admittedly, given what thor has withstood, it seems silly to think bullets would bother him.

King_Mungi
Puck is bullet-proof and he is a dwarf...an underated dwarf, but still a dwarf that was compressed to maximum density smile

Mindship
I'm not sure about the numbers (ie, pounds per square inch), but possibly a bullet might hurt Thor when a nuclear blast doesnt because a bullet generates more pressure per square inch on the surface of whatever it is hitting than the much "broader" impact of a blastwave. This is why a person with a knife can stab through a bulletproof vest: the p.s.i. at the teeny tiny tip of a blade exceeds the p.s.i. at the much broader tip of a bullet's nose. Ah, physics. Can't live with it, can't live without it.

Solidus Snake
Originally posted by Mindship
I'm not sure about the numbers (ie, pounds per square inch), but possibly a bullet might hurt Thor when a nuclear blast doesnt because a bullet generates more pressure per square inch on the surface of whatever it is hitting than the much "broader" impact of a blastwave. This is why a person with a knife can stab through a bulletproof vest: the p.s.i. at the teeny tiny tip of a blade exceeds the p.s.i. at the much broader tip of a bullet's nose. Ah, physics. Can't live with it, can't live without it.

brilliant

as wonderwoman said insecret origins featuring the JLA

"there is a big difference between a small point of an arrow or a large surface of a boulder. try hammering in a nail by driving the head into the wood instead of the point. if a surface is small with a great deal of force behind it, like an arrowhead or bullet, it can penetrate when something larger might only bruise"

she was asked
"i dont get it diana. how could you be hurt by an aroow? i've seen u take a hit from doomsday. i mean the rock should have done more damage tahn a puny arrow right?"

thor may have a higher resistance to energy attacks and blunt attacks, but piercing attacks may hurt/sting/annoy

look at a sandbag, u can try to beat a boxers sandbag to a pulp, but it doent change form or appear to be damaged. but a bullet, ir a knife will slash right through it. thor and wonderwomans body may work the same way

roughrider
Yet, still, there have been inconsistent incidents regarding getting shot with a bullet - by Thor anyway.

kgkg
not like superman

whobdamandog

Good argument..but Thor not being able to withstand a bullet is just plain silly. The amount of pressure per square inch on ones body when reaching levels above the Earth's atmosphere would be way more than any amount of pressure a bullet would exert. A lot of these writers need to just plain "edumicate" themselves in some basic physics before writting some of these stories. Suspension of disbelief can only be taken so far...

jplatinum
I think that the writers meant to say that even though he can take incredible blunt(punching and etc) trauma he can't take things like bullets(piercing trauma).
Things are two complete different types of force.

However, I do agree.
Him being able to survive a punch from a class 100 fighter and not being able to take a couple 800 psi ak-47 slugs is stupid.

Hey, sometimes writers smoke weed, just look at batman's writers.
Sometimes, weed is bad.
In batman's writers' case, its' evil.
Evil I tells ya'.

Whirlysplatt
Just read this in another thread and it got me a-thinkin'.

The only time I've seen Thor shot at and get hit was just before his first encounter with the Destroyer. The hunter who later found and animated the Destroyer, managed to take Thor out first with a tranquilizer bullet.

As for demoralizing. Hell, what can be more demoralizing that seeing bulletproof skin, as opposed to a whirling hammer or bracelets? I dont know about you guys, but I'd be thinking, "Man, if I could just get one shot past his hammer / her bracelets...!"

Thiis thread has been done a while ago, I proved he was not bullet proof. bullets hurt him smile

Scoobless
Originally posted by Whirlysplatt
Thiis thread has been done a while ago, I proved he was not bullet proof. bullets hurt him smile

wow... who did you prove it to?

certainly nobody here

stick out tongue

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by Scoobless
wow... who did you prove it to?

certainly nobody here

stick out tongue

Not you perhaps but I posted Scans of him being hurt by bullets so..........

I rest my case as its cannon bullets hurt him.

As for the pounds per square inch thing. I suspect a blastwave from a nuke at ground zero has greater kinetic energy than a bullet. smile

I'm not saying its sensible but he blocks bullets with a hammer for a reasonsmile

Bullets hurt him smile

So sorry scoobs I guess I should have said Marvel proved it by having him hurt by bullets, and they proved it again with the tranquilizer dart in BP, my bad, I hope you can forgive me for taking the credit for Marvel's ideassmile

Keep the faith smile

Stay Whirly rock

Avoid getting the bullet smile

Scoobless
Originally posted by Whirlysplatt
So sorry scoobs I guess I should have said Marvel proved it by having him hurt by bullets, and they proved it again with the tranquilizer dart in BP, my bad, I hope you can forgive me for taking the credit for Marvel's ideassmile

they also disproved it by the times they have had him shot without any injury

i guess your proof scans must have been before yet another Marvel upgrade.... making them... and your argument..... obsolete

so i guess i can forgive you for making such an obvious mistake... i mean, it's not like you would just look for old scans to try and wind people up

roll eyes (sarcastic)

as for this tranquiliser thing, well i haven't read that... what was the dart made from? was it a flashback? do you have a scan?

Whirlysplatt
they also disproved it by the times they have had him shot without any injury

i guess your proof scans must have been before yet another Marvel upgrade.... making them... and your argument..... obsolete

so i guess i can forgive you for making such an obvious mistake... i mean, it's not like you would just look for old scans to try and wind people up

roll eyes (sarcastic)

as for this tranquiliser thing, well i haven't read that... what was the dart made from? was it a flashback? do you have a scan?

No I don't have that scan but I've seen it on the forum and its very recent sooo...... my old scans and suspected motives shifty aside my charming jocular jock, its still happening to Thor. I don't like it anymore than you do. Its silly as I said but he is vulnerable to bullet like projectiles.

smile

Scoobless
perhaps if the bullet was made of adamantium or some other similar substance it could pierce him.... but i don't believe regular ammunition could achieve that result

Whirlysplatt
perhaps if the bullet was made of adamantium or some other similar substance it could pierce him.... but i don't believe regular ammunition could achieve that result

problem is though scoobs it has smile

so what you believe is a mute point. I know its off kilter, I'm not jockeying for position over this neither am I jocking. I'm taking the highland in this discussion. If Marvel has him hurt by projectiles ergo he is not bulletproof smile

snoopdogg
I dont know about him being bullet proof or not but I know for a fact he is not "heat vision" proof. shifty

Scoobless
pffft... that didn't even break his skin

olympian
Considering that he took it and was still attacking after that, he is.

K Von Doom
I've seen Thor spin Mjolnir around really fast to deflect bullets. Why would he do that? Unless bullets are annoying as hell to him, like flies are to us.

Scoobless
he's also Axe proof (asgardian battle axe wielded by an Asgardian.... these have been shown to slice through tanks before)

long pig
Enough biting flies will kill you.

roughrider
I would say he could be bullet resistant, but not like Superman - they might as well be empty air to him. But they could be a stinging annoyance, just like we would wave off a bunch of biting insects. That's why you pull the whirling hammer bit.

snoopdogg
Originally posted by olympian
Considering that he took it and was still attacking after that, he is. The point I was making was that it indeed hurt him.

Look at the smoke rolling off his motionless body.

olympian
I think everyone agrees that Superman is more durable, but Thor "not being buttleproof" according to some when he has taken things like it has been showed here its a bit retarded.

ok, alot.

roughrider
Originally posted by snoopdogg
The point I was making was that it indeed hurt him.

Well, Supes vision is what, 11,000 degrees at max? He still waded through it( should've used the hammer to absorb it, dammit) to get a shot in, but it wasn't easy on him.

Sentry
Originally posted by snoopdogg
The point I was making was that it indeed hurt him.

It was the punch that hurt him. He basically walked through the heat vision as if it weren't even there.

long pig
You didn't know that Superman has telepathy that forces more powerful people to fight like idiots against him?

roughrider
No telepathy...just corporate DC sending down orders! ( S no lose!)

olympian
"I dont know about him being bullet proof or not but I know for a fact he is not "heat vision" proof"

"The point I was making was that it indeed hurt him.

Look at the smoke rolling off his motionless body"

Nah. The point you wer trying to make was, that he couldnt take it. Hence the why "not being heat vision proof" When it wasent that, that got him ko in the first place.

snoopdogg
Originally posted by olympian

Nah. The point you wer trying to make was, that he couldnt take it. Hence the why "not being heat vision proof" When it wasent that, that got him ko in the first place. Either way it hurt Thor. He felt the pain of the heat vision.

And you are right it wasnt the heat vision that knocked him out it was a fist.

Good point. wink

whobdamandog
I just thought of something...technically..Supes really isn't bullet proof either..at least not now a days. The forcefield that extends from his body at all times can be weakened, and its quite possible for him to be hurt during these times. A bullet could take him down just as quickly as any normal human.

leonidas
<<i guess your proof scans must have been before yet another Marvel upgrade.... making them... and your argument..... obsolete>>

actually, the sniper ko's his ass with a bullet in a VERY recent black panther arc. don't have scans, but someone may. it's in a synopsis of the issues if you need proof. i think the arc is 6 - 8, or something in the new series.

Scoobless
Thor hasn't been around for a while...(since disassembled)... when did he come back?

leonidas
not sure the pub date of the issues, but it was very recent - near the end of his run i suppose . . .

Solidus Snake
Originally posted by whobdamandog
I just thought of something...technically..Supes really isn't bullet proof either..at least not now a days. The forcefield that extends from his body at all times can be weakened, and its quite possible for him to be hurt during these times. A bullet could take him down just as quickly as any normal human.

i dont know about that, he was still pretty durable when he died and they were trying to revive him

wannabe
Originally posted by whobdamandog
Originally posted by mindship
Good argument..but Thor not being able to withstand a bullet is just plain silly. The amount of pressure per square inch on ones body when reaching levels above the Earth's atmosphere would be way more than any amount of pressure a bullet would exert. A lot of these writers need to just plain "edumicate" themselves in some basic physics before writting some of these stories. Suspension of disbelief can only be taken so far...
1)The pressure difference between atmosphere and space is just 1,01325 bar...0 bar in space and 1,01325 bar on earth...it's really not that much...even a normal human can survive this for some seconds! The deep sea is much more potent in this case than space.
2)A fist punch of a 100 class character delivers much more energy per square inch than a bullet, same goes for a nuclear blast.
3)A clear "YES" to the writers part...!
The substance the bullet is made of is of FAAAR less importance then the force that propels it. Even a rubber bullet could pierce a steel wall when you shoot it with enough energy. And an adamantium bullet would make no difference for a bulletproof character (which Thor SHOULD be according to logic) when it's shot from a normal weapon.

olympian
"And you are right it wasnt the heat vision that knocked him out it was a fist.

Good point"

Of course its a good point. Nobody its invulnerable to a good punch from a guy of the same class.

"Either way it hurt Thor. He felt the pain of the heat vision"

Heat vision hurts him the same way Magic hurts Kal.

Juntai
I can agree with that, but you and I both know if they had a comic with an adamantium bullet, it would cut swathe until it lost momentum from tavel... a vary far distance.

Juntai
And for the record, with modern nuclear weapons, if you can even SEE the blast, from way way way off in the horizon..you're dead. The PPPSI of a bullet doesn't in any way account for the complete atomic breakdown of the elements at the core of a nuclear explosion.

wannabe
Originally posted by Juntai
I can agree with that, but you and I both know if they had a comic with an adamantium bullet, it would cut swathe until it lost momentum from tavel... a vary far distance.

And for the record, with modern nuclear weapons, if you can even SEE the blast, from way way way off in the horizon..you're dead. The PPPSI of a bullet doesn't in any way account for the complete atomic breakdown of the elements at the core of a nuclear explosion.
Exactly my thinking!!!!!!! yes sad

Mindship
Wow. Even though I posted this thread in the wrong forum, it's brought out some great file attachments of Superman vs Thor. Makes ya wonder why a lot of people think Hulk is Supes' proper Marvel counterpart (yeah, I know, I know, it's the whole Strength thing). I presume this was the much-vaunted JLA vs Avengers crossover I've always heard so much about but never been able to find.
Cool stuff, people. Tres cool.

Scoobless
Originally posted by wannabe
The substance the bullet is made of is of FAAAR less importance then the force that propels it. Even a rubber bullet could pierce a steel wall when you shoot it with enough energy. And an adamantium bullet would make no difference for a bulletproof character (which Thor SHOULD be according to logic) when it's shot from a normal weapon.

i know, but on initial impact an adamantium point wont flatten like a regular bullet against Thor's skin..... so it would have some advantages regular ammo doesn't .... probably

wink

wannabe
i know, but on initial impact an adamantium point wont flatten like a regular bullet against Thor's skin..... so it would have some advantages regular ammo doesn't .... probably wink
smileRight...the bullet would not loose some of it's kinetic energy to it's transformation during impact...but even the initial energy is not enough in the first place, so it would make no difference.

Scoobless
but if it's point is sharp enough it should still damage his skin..... Wolverine managed it and his PSI for a claw swipe has to be less than a bullet

yahman
bullets can't hurt him....... nuke level explosions don't bother him too much either apparently

When did that happen ?

yahman
Originally posted by Cameron Scott
Thor, like Wonder Woman should be invulnerable to bullets due to the physics involve. If they aren't, then it shows that the writers really needs to go back to High School imo.

I can understand being invulnerable to physical forces and being vulnerable to heat, but against a person who can survive reentry of the Earth, he shouldn't even notice bullets.

And yet Superman can travel faster than the speed of light and Captain Atom can shrink to smaller than an atom, without causing a black hole, hulk can lift buildings without them crumbling, Flash apparently has infinite mass when he's travelling near light yet he doesn't have any effect on the planet what so ever, Atlas can grow to enormous heights although his bones should be crumbling under the immense weight. The list goes on and on and on.

Physics .... puhhh lease ? smile

yahman

Very good point !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can help you half way with this.... A megaton war head creates 15 tons per square inch near the center. smile I don't know how much a speeding bullet creates, but i know a wolf's bite creates about one and half tons per square inch.

To counter this argument though, if one was to fire a bullet at a nuclear Bunker, it would be unlikely to go through. Good point, mate any way. smile

wannabe
but if it's point is sharp enough it should still damage his skin..... Wolverine managed it and his PSI for a claw swipe has to be less than a bullet
Please don't refer to feats shown by Wolvie (as cool as he may be)!!!
This character has cut Hulk and steel etc., even though , according to physics, he would need superhuman strength to do so.
And he survived a nuke as well...
So much for this characters credibility as a tool for comparison! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Scoobless
Originally posted by yahman
And yet Superman can travel faster than the speed of light and Captain Atom can shrink to smaller than an atom, without causing a black hole, hulk can lift buildings without them crumbling, Flash apparently has infinite mass when he's travelling near light yet he doesn't have any effect on the planet what so ever, Atlas can grow to enormous heights although his bones should be crumbling under the immense weight. The list goes on and on and on.

Physics .... puhhh lease ? smile

some of thse fools still refuse to acknowledge that the earth is, in fact, flat

dontgetit

Wolvie .....

lol..... i've heard that mentioned a few times and it still cracks me up

i only mentioned the Wolverine cutting Thor incident because it happened in a Thor comic

yahman
Please don't refer to feats shown by Wolvie (as cool as he may be)!!!
This character has cut Hulk and steel etc., even though , according to physics, he would need superhuman strength to do so.
So much for this characters credibility as a tool for comparison! roll eyes (sarcastic)

I can't believe that I'm saying this but.... I thinks its better to use this as an example rather than applying physics. smile

Whats the earthis ? scoobs wink

Scoobless
Whats the earthis ? scoobs wink

too slow man... i edited before you got that last part added to your message

stick out tongue

Happy Dance

yahman
too slow man... i edited before you got that last part added to your message

stick out tongue

Happy Dance

embarrasment

How come Thor doesn't have the Odin Force, when that nuke hits ? I'm ordering Thor Disassembled, but i can't be bothered to wait. smile

wannabe
I can't believe that I'm saying this but.... I thinks its better to use this as an example rather than applying physics. smile
I understand...you're thinking of the difference between Comic physics and real world physics...right? smile
But Scoobless and i were talking on that particular level, so...

Btw:
Marvel comics feature the same basics of physics like the real world, there are just some additional aspects when it comes to super powers and super sciences.
Adamantium's only super characteristic is his indestructibility, in all other aspects it's a normal metal, following known real physics.
Wolverines only super characteristics are his senses, the healing factor and some slightly increased physical attributes, in all other aspects, going beyond this, he is bound to the laws of known real physics.
Letting characters do "super-things" that are beyond their described super powers is comic literature anarchy, makes other characters "specialties" more arbitrary and less special and lessens the quality of the whole fiction...in MY opinion, of course!

yahman
I understand...you're thinking of the difference between Comic physics and real world physics...right? But Scoobless and i were talking on that particular level, so...

Btw:
Marvel comics feature the same basics of physics like the real world, there are just some additional aspects when it comes to super powers and super sciences.
Adamantium's only super characteristic is his indestructibility, in all other aspects it's a normal metal, following known real physics.
Wolverines only super characteristics are his senses, the healing factor and some slightly increased physical attributes, in all other aspects, going beyond this, he is bound to the laws of known real physics.
Letting characters do "super-things" that are beyond their described super powers is comic literature anarchy, makes other characters "specialties" more arbitrary and less special and lessens the quality of the whole fiction...in MY opinion, of course!

IMO

'Marvel comics feature the same basics of physics like the real world, there are just some additional aspects when it comes to super powers and super sciences.'

Is scrapping the barrel.

Scoobless
embarrasment

How come Thor doesn't have the Odin Force, when that nuke hits ? I'm ordering Thor Disassembled, but i can't be bothered to wait. smile

ok, Disassembled happens after the Reigning.... and, during that story, Thor proved himself unworthy to wield the Odin power.... so he doesn't get it in Disassembled

P.S.... it isn't actually a nuke that hits.... i just used that as a comparison due to the level of the explosion/destruction..... but the source is more.... Asgardian magic based

EDIT: if you want to know what caused the explosion i'll tell you... just didn't want to ruin it for you... it's not the end of the story anyway.... not by a long shot

wannabe
IMO

'Marvel comics feature the same basics of physics like the real world, there are just some additional aspects when it comes to super powers and super sciences.'

Is scrapping the barrel.
Did you even read the examples i gave to make clear what i mean...not to mention eventual understanding??? huh

However...your opinion is at least as valuable as mine.

yahman
Did you even read the examples i gave to make clear what i mean...not to mention eventual understanding??? huh

However...your opinion is at least as valuable as mine.

no i didn't stick out tongue But i have now. You have a good point. smile One that writers should keep i mind more often. big grin

I was referring more to the origins, sources and general usage of the powers, which make a mockery of your previous statement.

Mindship
yahman, thanks for the help. And something else just occured to me: a nuclear blast is more than just a shock wave: it's heat (in the millions of degrees), and radiation (eg, gamma. which is highly penetrating). On the other hand, thanks to the Inverse Square Law effect, the power of a nuke (or any) blast drops off really fast with distance. Example: though the Hiroshima bomb exploded with the force of 15 kilotons of TNT, it exploded some 2000 feet above ground, which--if I've done my math right--translates to "only" about 7 or 8 TNT-pounds of force directly beneath ground zero, even less as you angle away. (Actually, I'm still being generous: inverse Square law applies to radiation and heat; shockwaves follow the inverse-Cube law, so that drops off even faster).
Oh how I love discussing nonsense.

Scoobless
drop off or not... the explosion in question occured right next to Thor... only a few inches from his hand

yahman
yahman, thanks for the help. And something else just occured to me: a nuclear blast is more than just a shock wave: it's heat (in the millions of degrees), and radiation (eg, gamma. which is highly penetrating). On the other hand, thanks to the Inverse Square Law effect, the power of a nuke (or any) blast drops off really fast with distance. Example: though the Hiroshima bomb exploded with the force of 15 kilotons of TNT, it exploded some 2000 feet above ground, which--if I've done my math right--translates to "only" about 7 or 8 TNT-pounds of force directly beneath ground zero, even less as you angle away. (Actually, I'm still being generous: inverse Square law applies to radiation and heat; shockwaves follow the inverse-Cube law, so that drops off even faster).
Oh how I love discussing nonsense.

Me too !!!!!!!!!!! big grin wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.