Best Artist

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mindship
Whom do you consider the best comic-book artist ever, and why? My vote goes to Jack Kirby: the guy's drawings just radiated power. Funny thing, though, he had a lousy knowledge of anatomy. Still, his Silver Surfer and Thing (eg) are the best (IMHO).

Marvelgeek
I'm not that into artists so I don't know alot of them, but what I've seen of Alex Ross seems very very good. smile

pr1983
jim lee, alex ross, whilce portacio, ed benes, michael turner... all good imo...

and this has been done before... erm

willRules
Jim Lee IMO............

armandovalles
Jim Lee and Steve McNiven.

SnakeEyes
Those are all great artists, but it really comes down to personal preference IMO...

manjaro
Turner, i put his last name cuz thats all the intro he needs........batman/superman vol. 2, and godfall. if youre lost

GalacticStorm
Jim Lee, Andy Kubert, Salvador Larocca, Leinil Francis Yu, Gary Frank.

Theyre my faves.

8bitChris
Currently,

I like Patrick Zircher and Greg Land.

Salvador Lorocca is hit or miss with me.

I really like Oliver Coipiel's work on house of M too.

K Von Doom
Jum Lee - early 90's version

Alex Ross - current version

Ultimate Ion
Perez and Ross

Pointinel
my list would be-

1. jim lee
2. frank quitely
3. david finch
4. john romita jr.
5 mark buckingham

james jean is the best cover artist, IMO

Blair Wind
my fav is turner, but thats just me

havok801125
I like most of your guys picks....there are two names i'd like to add however... Jeff Scott Campbell and Alex Lei

edit: also Joe Madureira art is cool

eleveninches
Ethen van sciver does some GREAT artwork

Spideys Sister
Stan Lee is all powerful....but that's just me.

brice7
Originally posted by Pointinel
my list would be-

1. jim lee
2. frank quitely
3. david finch
4. john romita jr.
5 mark buckingham

james jean is the best cover artist, IMO

John Romita jr??!! He's crap... my one goes to jack Kirby or JRsr Happy Dance blowup

Whirlysplatt
Totleben, Mobius, Perez, Lee, Byrne, Ross

8bitChris
I'm not big on Ross's painted style comics. It's great for an Epic and Iconic poster or cover or something like; just doesn't do it for me in a comic. I guess it isn't very "comicky".

That and a lot of the time he's painting another persons pencils anyway.

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by 8bitChris
I'm not big on Ross's painted style comics. It's great for an Epic and Iconic poster or cover or something like; just doesn't do it for me in a comic. I guess it isn't very "comicky".

That and a lot of the time he's painting another persons pencils anyway.

Mobius painted his own

roughrider
Maybe it's good to differentiate between Artist and Illustrator. People who handle all the art(pencil, ink, colour), some of whom do full painting like Alex Ross and Bill Sienkiewicz. John Totleban is good too, using full colour, and the legend - Barry Windsor-Smith.
Regular pencil and ink, you could really look at Gary Frank, George Perez, Jim Lee, Bryan Hitch, Andy Kubert and Frank Miller.
John Romita Jr. style seemed too odd when I was a kid - he wasn't Perez or Byrne - but I've come to like his uniqueness.

Dreampanther
Just another name to add - Jae Lee

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.