Stephen kings 'The Shining' VS Stanley Kubricks 'The Shining'

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Deano
i finally watched the tv version stephen king did. it was really good but will never catch the overall tension of the kubrick version. i did like the character development in kings film and i actually cared for the characters. in kubricks version, jack seemed crazy from the start and i didnt really care what happened to him or what he did to his family.
kubricks version still is by far the best and i think kings version was dogged by crappy special effects

what are your views?

http://www.technofile.com/images/shining.jpg http://www.john-bauer.com/movies.shining.jpg[/IMG

MildPossession
I don't think I enjoyed the later one, can't remember much from it. Nothing will beat the original film.

Haven't read the book, but wasn't the new version closer to the book?

Deano
yeh new version was much closer to the book. king didnt like kubricks film because it strayed from the book, thats why he decided to make a version himself

BackFire
The TV version was just awful, plants turning into animals...come on.

It just goes to show, Steven King knows how to write a great book, but doesn't know shit when it comes to making a movie.

Kubrick's version is infinitely better.

tabby999
yep, kubrick was a visionary with the shining, might seem a bit much, but i love it

Wolfie
I watched about five seconds of King's movie before changing the channel. I think it's safe to say Kubrick's version is much better.

Impediment
I, myself, infinitely prefer Kubrick's version because of the masterful filmmaking, the actors, and the genuine creepiness of the movie. The latter version of the movie, yes, was more akin to King's novel but like all movie adaptations of Stephen King's novels, it sucked rectum. Sorry to say. If you disagree with me, read "Pet Semetary" then watch the movie adaptation....................*UGH!!* King's novels, at least 90% of them, are about what is going on the characters' minds (their thoughts and emotions) and it is VERY hard to portay that effectivley on film. I agree that Kubrick's version strayed from King's novel, but I, myself, say that it was very entertaing and horrifying. I personally think that no other actor could have portrayed Jack Torrance like Jack Nicholoson did. Period.

blackdragoon
I think that the classic with jack was the overall best but thats not to say that the new tv version was not good. There are lots of aspects in that version that was great like the women in the bath tub scared the hell out of me, or the overall atmesfier of the movie.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.