Tongue-eating bug found in fish

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Capt_Fantastic
http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_4200000/newsid_4209000/4209004.stm

"A gross creature which gobbles up a fish's tongue and then replaces it with its own body has been found in Britain for the first time.
The bug - which has the scientific name cymothoa exigua - was discovered inside the mouth of a red snapper bought from a London fishmonger.

The 3.5cm creature had grabbed onto the fish's tongue and slowly ate away at it until only a stub was left.

It then latched onto the stub and became the fish's "replacement tongue". "

Pretty nasty, eh?

Alpha Centauri
Pretty amazing, in my opinion.

Sly.

-AC

debbiejo
Ewwwwwwwww...Is this what you look at in your spare time???? blink big grin

Fishy
Cool smile Didn't even know animals like that existed... And this just gives me one more reason for not wanting to be a Fish.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Fishy
Cool smile Didn't even know animals like that existed... And this just gives me one more reason for not wanting to be a Fish.

How do you know your tongue is really yours? Have you looked at it recently? eek!

pr1983
Clever bastard...

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Pretty amazing, in my opinion.

Sly.

-AC

Amazing, but nasty.

Originally posted by pr1983
Clever bastard...

Exactly what I was thinking. Not your typical parasite. I keep thinking of Flukeman from the X-Files.

Fishy
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
How do you know your tongue is really yours? Have you looked at it recently? eek!

The article says it doesn't affect humans...

Unless of course you are referring to my name, in which case I will respond with this. "Goodbye cruel world" I don't want to live with a replacement tongue in my mouth... That would suck.. Or make me unable to suck, depending on how you look at it.

Lana
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Exactly what I was thinking. Not your typical parasite. I keep thinking of Flukeman from the X-Files.

I thought of the same thing when I saw this....

(I love the X-Files)

pr1983

lol yeah...

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Fishy
The article says it doesn't affect humans...

Unless of course you are referring to my name, in which case I will respond with this. "Goodbye cruel world" I don't want to live with a replacement tongue in my mouth... That would suck.. Or make me unable to suck, depending on how you look at it.

Yes, I was talking about your name. laughing

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by debbiejo
Ewwwwwwwww...Is this what you look at in your spare time???? blink big grin

Yes, it is. I shold find a hobby I guess.

DanieLs_4_Ever
http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_4200000/newsid_4209000/4209004.stm

"A gross creature which gobbles up a fish's tongue and then replaces it with its own body has been found in Britain for the first time.
The bug - which has the scientific name cymothoa exigua - was discovered inside the mouth of a red snapper bought from a London fishmonger.

The 3.5cm creature had grabbed onto the fish's tongue and slowly ate away at it until only a stub was left.

It then latched onto the stub and became the fish's "replacement tongue". "

Pretty nasty, eh?
Not nasty...Interesting, but not nasty. There are plenty of things in this world that we havent ever known about..and wont ever know about.
Btw your page doesnt work.

Dudester
Pretty cool but gross at the same time

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by DanieLs_4_Ever
Not nasty...Interesting, but not nasty. There are plenty of things in this world that we havent ever known about..and wont ever know about.
Btw your page doesnt work.

Um, no. That's nasty! I didn't say it wasn't interesting. I suppose, apparent to all, you have a different definition of nasty.

And, to what page are you reffering? You mean the link? Because it still works for me.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.