Why did Vader strangle Needa but not Piett?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DiamondBullets
They both lost the Falcon, so did their rank have anything to do with it, or was Lord Vader just playing favorites?

commander gree
he kill them both

DiamondBullets
No, Admiral Piett died when the Executor was crippled by the kamekaze A-wing that crashed into the bridge and then in turn the Executor crashed into the Second Death Star at the Battle of Endor.

Ushgarak
Now, that is a debatable issue. There are three answers really, both related to recent events:

1. Lack of anger. Vader isn't THAT pissed because he feels he just did rather well- he won the confrontation with his son, made the revelation he wanted to make and feels he may yet destroy the Emperor with Luke's help.

2. Whim. Vader feels what has happened is just the way it went, and this time doesn't feel that vindictive. Bad guys are prone to whims

3. Emotion- Vader is so uset at Luke gewtting away that he doesn't even feel like killing.

The most superficially attractive idea is that Vader is feeling pangs of remorse due to contact with Luke. I would avoid that idea though- it ascribes motives to Anakin which do not actually appear until the final confrontation.

Best to ascribe it to a combination of the above; one way or another it made for a very great dramatic moment.

amity75
Piett was an intelligent leader and Vader knew that. He obviously had had some run ins with Needa in the past and knew how stupid he was. It's a bit like Alex Ferguson not critisising Roy Keane after a bad game but taking his wrath out on Fabien Barthez.

Darth Traya
It wasn't Piett's fault that the Falcon escaped.

Canadadude
I am going to say Vader was so pissed that Luke got away that he did not bother killing Piett. Vader in ESB does not tolerate as he was in Return of the Jedi

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Darth Traya
It wasn't Piett's fault that the Falcon escaped.

Yes it was! And it was most certainly his responsibility.

Sesse
It's not a good policy to kill all officers with combat experience. To remain strong, the Empire needs competent leaders. Especially when there is a rebel alliance supported by a jediwannabe.

Travis Hicks
Because Needa let The Falcon escape.

Tangible God
I think I read somewhere that Needa had failed once before. And after letting the precious crew of the Falcon escape...WHEW! Boy Howdy.

steverules
I fthe falcon had not got away though do you think luke would have joined the darkside?

Echuu
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Now, that is a debatable issue. There are three answers really, both related to recent events:

1. Lack of anger. Vader isn't THAT pissed because he feels he just did rather well- he won the confrontation with his son, made the revelation he wanted to make and feels he may yet destroy the Emperor with Luke's help.

2. Whim. Vader feels what has happened is just the way it went, and this time doesn't feel that vindictive. Bad guys are prone to whims

3. Emotion- Vader is so uset at Luke gewtting away that he doesn't even feel like killing.

The most superficially attractive idea is that Vader is feeling pangs of remorse due to contact with Luke. I would avoid that idea though- it ascribes motives to Anakin which do not actually appear until the final confrontation.

Best to ascribe it to a combination of the above; one way or another it made for a very great dramatic moment.

If I remember correctly Vader practically sighs after the falcon jumped into lightspeed. 1 fits that pretty well.

steverules
Since piett admitted that he lost the falcon and took full responsibilty for it, what do you expect vader to do?

overlord
It's because Lucas found it unnecessary, Vader actually can't think, he is a made up character.
(hahaha! I'm such an ass..)

roughrider
All three above reasons have merit. It's an amusing subplot in ESB, Vader's knack for sudden and fatal demotions, and Piett has witnessed them all. When the Falcon escapes, Piett nearly turns white; is it his turn?
I'm sure Vader felt a rush of anger initially, but then felt contamplative. Contact was made, and Luke knows the truth. Maybe it's best to let him simmer on this for a while; Vader can feel Luke is drawn to him. Another day will come. Vader's full feelings are probably unknown, even to himself. The Emperor sensed early how unclear Vader is about Luke.
Nice how Irvin Kershner had Dave Prowse play it: back turned to the audience, looking out the window, before slowing turning and walking away. Vader wasn't above letting Piett sweat it out until he left the bridge; then everyone seemed to breathe easier. shifty

Tangible God
Yet maybe it's because the film and Vader would just seem too.......stupid, if vader had killed Piett.

1st Ozzel
2nd Needa
3rd Piett.

Gl's goin a bit overboard there eh?

commander gree
Originally posted by DiamondBullets
No, Admiral Piett died when the Executor was crippled by the kamekaze A-wing that crashed into the bridge and then in turn the Executor crashed into the Second Death Star at the Battle of Endor. maybe becouse he needed piett to something

Darth Traya
Originally posted by commander gree
maybe becouse he needed piett to something

"Your lack of grammar disturbs me."

Darth Infidus
"Your lack of grammar disturbs me."

LOL

commander gree
"Your lack of grammar disturbs me." shut up

JaehSkywalker
he likes piett

easy as that??

Tangible God
Originally posted by JaehSkywalker
he likes piett

easy as that?? "likes" as in...wink wink, nudge nudge?

Grand Moff Gav

I always thought that he spared Piett 1. Because it was a personal joke of GL's and 2. Because Vader was becoming more human the conflict with his son had started the conflict within himself.

xyz jedi
he didn't choke piett because he

xyz jedi
still needed him to get Millenium Falcoln. If he strangled him he would of lost the ship for sure.

Grand Moff Gav
The Falcon had gone into Hyperspace.........It was lost for sure. (do you know we are talking about the end of the film?)

xyz jedi
Then vader was upset like ushgarak said.

i mean uset

Grand Moff Gav
If Vader was upset it is more likly that he would choke everyone in sight it is what he does!

xyz jedi
maybe he was crying on the inside or somthin like that.

Grand Moff Gav
Yes Vader.............................................................poor shadow of a man.

xyz jedi
miffed

Grand Moff Gav
No I do Like Him

Grand Moff Gav
I will teach you the Knowledge of the spelling of the word Knowledge

xyz jedi
already can

Grand Moff Gav
Indeed laughing out loud

xyz jedi
phallus sucker

overlord

Pondo Booboo

Pondo Booboo
Originally posted by overlord
It's because Lucas found it unnecessary, Vader actually can't think, he is a made up character.
(hahaha! I'm such an ass..)

Pondo Booboo
Vader didn't kill him because Needa is secretly the mother of Jar Jar, and the Grandmother of Luke - see above ("NO, Luke. MEESA...you fadda! Searcha you feelin'...you KNOWWWSA idda to be trooooo!"wink.

Ianus

I'd have to say this best nails the point. Evil badguys kill others because of all sorts of reasons, both legit and otherwise.

Grand Moff Gav
This is why

http://www.geocities.com/imperialchicks/images/shirtresize.jpg

Pondo Booboo
Because, using the force, Vader knew Needa was a squealer!

xyz jedi
hmmm

xyz jedi
Originally posted by Pondo Booboo
Vader didn't kill him because Needa is secretly the mother of Jar Jar, and the Grandmother of Luke - see above ("NO, Luke. MEESA...you fadda! Searcha you feelin'...you KNOWWWSA idda to be trooooo!"wink. confused1

overlord
jawdrop

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.