Obvious flaw in Fellowship of the ring

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Wild_7
Im not sure if anyone else has noticed it, but galadriel in the prelogue said '...for now none lived who remember it' and in the middle of the film, Elrond gives his account of when Isildur failed to destroy the ring.

DanielLB
Sorry to disspaoint you here but im sure theres been a thread b4 about this....if you think about it the War of the Ring took place in the 3rd age....we are in the 7th...what she means is that none now (2005) live to rember it. Make sense?

Was quick explaniation cos i got 2 go.....other ppl can elaborate this if the wntbig grin

The Inkeeper
Yet she somehow knew there would be a film adaption of the story and filmed her scene and left it somewhere to be found by hollywood before she perished messed

Ushgarak
Galadriel isn't referring to any specific event at the time. Her quote is:

"Much that once was is lost. For none now live who remember it."

She then proceeds to tell the story of the Ring.

A more obvious conclusion to come to, if you think she was talking about the events she then narrates, would be to say that Galadriel herself is still alive, hmm?

What is forgotten dates from long before the time of the Rings.

Wild_7
ahh bollocks. sorry im new here so cannot be asked to read all the million posts here before i joined sad

gandalftheblack
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Galadriel isn't referring to any specific event at the time. Her quote is:

"Much that once was is lost. For none now live who remember it."

A more obvious conclusion to come to, if you think she was talking about the events she then narrates, would be to say that Galadriel herself is still alive, hmm?

I think the way to interpret is that Galadriel herself does not remember the times before the creation of the ring - the only source of info would be word of mouth or some elvish manuscripts.

Also, from gramatical point of view, 'for' is completely useless in this quote. A better conjunctive would be 'and' - for implies some sort of interdependence, where there isn't any. Tolkien should have known better... ;-)

And 2005 has nothing to do with it.

Batman Returns
she probably meant "most" ppl other then elrond, herself, and a few other elves dont remember the events that happened thousands of years ago. thats how i always took it.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by gandalftheblack
I think the way to interpret is that Galadriel herself does not remember the times before the creation of the ring - the only source of info would be word of mouth or some elvish manuscripts.

Also, from gramatical point of view, 'for' is completely useless in this quote. A better conjunctive would be 'and' - for implies some sort of interdependence, where there isn't any. Tolkien should have known better... ;-)

Except that she does remember, though!

'For' is appropriate to the style of speech.

Batman Returns
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Except that she does remember, though!

umm duh? she was refering to everyone BUT her.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.