Superman lifespan

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

tonyman1989
How long could John Byrnes Superman live?

And how long can the current superman live (I want to see how its changed)

(please base numbers on facts)

Francisco
John Byrnes Superman and current Superman are one and the same.
About how much he can live. I think that as long as he is under a yellow sun he will pretty much live for ever. Unless he gets killed or something.

darth-yoda
wrong superman did of old age in one of the superboy comics i think it was the first one anyway he was old in that about 120

Jargon343
In Superman Prime he just kept getting older and stronger, he got to godlike levels in that story after many hundreds of thousands of years.

In Kingdom Come it was eluded to that he gets stronger, not older...they said Kryptonite doesn't work on him anymore in that future.

And I think it was Dark Knight Returns where Batman comments that Superman dyed his hair grey to fool people into thinking that Clark Kent was getting older.

Mindship
My impression is that Superman will continue to thrive as long as he has our yellow sun to sustain him. Thing is, in about 5 billion years, our sun will swell into a red giant then exhaust all its fuel and become a cold dwarf. So unless Supes migrates to another yellow star (and 5 gigayears should give him enough time to do so, especially if he sees us leaving for a new star), he loses his powers and ages normally (whatever "normally" is for a Kryptonian).
However, in time, all the stars will burn out, and Superman will pass on. But that's okay cuz there won't be any mortals left to save.
I suppose Supes could shift into a younger, parallel universe (Marvel's?), but what's the point? I would think that after countless eons he might realize it's time to move on from the physical plane. In far less time than a few billion years, us ordinary folk will perhaps have evolved to a higher plane. Conceivably, we could even leave Superman in the evolutionary dust.
I propose that it may be his very attachment to his superhuman identity which may, in the end, keep him "prisoner" in that form (hmm, now wouldn't that be an interesting story...)

DarkCrawler
^nice post.

Mindship
Thanks smile

Cosmic Cube
Originally posted by Mindship
My impression is that Superman will continue to thrive as long as he has our yellow sun to sustain him. Thing is, in about 5 billion years, our sun will swell into a red giant then exhaust all its fuel and become a cold dwarf. So unless Supes migrates to another yellow star (and 5 gigayears should give him enough time to do so, especially if he sees us leaving for a new star), he loses his powers and ages normally (whatever "normally" is for a Kryptonian).
However, in time, all the stars will burn out, and Superman will pass on. But that's okay cuz there won't be any mortals left to save.
I suppose Supes could shift into a younger, parallel universe (Marvel's?), but what's the point? I would think that after countless eons he might realize it's time to move on from the physical plane. In far less time than a few billion years, us ordinary folk will perhaps have evolved to a higher plane. Conceivably, we could even leave Superman in the evolutionary dust.
I propose that it may be his very attachment to his superhuman identity which may, in the end, keep him "prisoner" in that form (hmm, now wouldn't that be an interesting story...)

Wow. Nice to see signs of intelligent life every once in a while on this forum. Great post.

Mainstream
Superman shall live until I destory him..it's as simple as that.

Mindship
Originally posted by Cosmic Cube
Wow. Nice to see signs of intelligent life every once in a while on this forum. Great post.

Thanks. Now and then, a few of my brain cells do talk to one another.

Avalonofthewind

Great post.

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by Jargon343
And I think it was Dark Knight Returns where Batman comments that Superman dyed his hair grey to fool people into thinking that Clark Kent was getting older. How did he dye his hair?

Jargon343
with hair dye I guess.

Jargon343

I get the feeling he'd get killed by something before that happened. That's billions and billions of years away; he's only thirty something now and he's encountered dozens of villians with the potential to kill him, and at least one (Doomsday) who is known to be more than capable of it.

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by Jargon343
with hair dye I guess. Hair dye... the only substance that can penetrate the biofield.... Superman's secret fourth weakness....

Jargon343
Well for Louis' sake I hope water and soap can penetrate it as well.

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Hair dye... the only substance that can penetrate the biofield.... Superman's secret fourth weakness....

roll eyes (sarcastic) shifty He used Kryptonian hair dye from the fortress, it has a form of "gentle" kryptonite in it - which also gets rid of "super" dandruff confused

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.