Is Physics Science or Philosophy?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Draco69
Discuss.

Kharhmah
Science, or else it wouldn't be included in my college course.

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by Draco69
Discuss.

Science. Philosophy is basically a examination of basic contexts

Ladyluck
Science... at least that's what it's catgorized as

Morgoths_Wrath
that's not a yes or no question blink

Draco69
Crap. Must...edit...

Morgoths_Wrath
oh, and yes it's a science

if you can create a valid experiment and get consistent results, I think it's safe to say it's not merely a philosophy

Draco69
Edit not possible. Bloody hell...

Yes=Science

No=Philosophy

Morgoths_Wrath

Draco69
I'm referring to the poll:

Yes = Physics is a Science

No = Physics is a philosophy

Mindship
Color me confused. May I inquire, with all due respect: why would one even question the scientific validity and reliability of physics? I'm guessing, is it because quantum theory is so mysterious? It is mysterious only in that we don't understand Why it works, only that, from a practical, as-if approach to understanding and dealing with our world, it works. Quantum theory has turned out to be the most powerful theory ever devised. If not for our understanding of physics on this level, much of our modern electronic world would not exist and none of us would be communicating in this manner right now.

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by Draco69
I'm referring to the poll:

Yes = Physics is a Science

No = Physics is a philosophy

Well theoretical Physics has led to a lot of reality, Eienstein never thought his equations could lead to a bomb, but Oppenheimer, Bohr etc made it a reality. Heisenbergs "philosphy" allowed micro chips. I think it starts as ideas but the maths element makes it different to other branches of philosophy and turns the theoretical into the possible and eventually the practical. The "thought experiment" is fundemenatally Scientific method rather than Philosophy. Schrodinger sometimes leaned to much towards philosophy. smile

Acherontia
The REAL discussion We should have here is How to answer "Science or a philosphy" With "Yes or No"

Idiot.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.