VILLIANS!! Who's path of destruction was absolute?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SlimYout
When answering give a few reasons and examples why?
Make sure you leave uhhh.......I think it's spoil marks.
GO!

SaTsuJiN
sephiroth wreaked quite some havoc..

ganon always left hyrule in ruins , until confronted by link

Magus from chrono trigger messed some stuff up good

most game villians destruction isnt really long-lived...
even after city 17 was abused by the "government" , gordon still whupped em silly in their own arena

Pezmerga
What about Dark Force from Phantasy Star IV? =P

FeceMan
Go fifty years in the future and fall to your kness before my tyrannical rule.

snake_eyes616
Selphy, Revolver Ocelot, and the Colossi from Shadow of the Colossus

Deus Ex
Originally posted by Pezmerga
What about Dark Force from Phantasy Star IV? =P

This is a good candidate. Dark Force resulted in the destruction of an entire planet and a solar system-wide collapse of modern technology. Dark Force was a cosmic evil, predating creation itself along with its opposing element of Light (Which left the known system after the creation of the planets, which were left to act as seals on the Profound Darkness, which is the actual incarnation of Dark Force, a mere avatar.

Lavos of the Chrono Trigger series did a lot of damage (World wide collapse and destruction) but this pales in comparison with Dark Force.

Kefka of FF VI ruined an entire world too, as did Bob Page's machinations in Deus Ex. But destroying one world is standard fare for any good villain. My vote goes for Dark Force.

SlimYout
Good one feceMan haha. Funny name too. I always here contradictions with sephiroth, some say he was running away during most of the game. He then puts an end to you know who, walks into flames, and some even call him the best villain ever! I don't know, but I'll add Liquid Snake to the list because of his statement. He apparently wants to plunge the world into war, the arena where he can demonstrate his ability. What do you think is the make up of a villain? Does he/she have to be to deal planetary damage? Or can they just be vile scum that don't deserve the gift of life?

Deus Ex
"Who's path of destruction was absolute?"

It's rather self explanatory. They need to do excessive collateral unaltered damage.

BackFire
Kefka succeeded in destroying and ruling the world in FF6, beat that.

SlimYout
Gotcha. But does it always have to be in vein of let's say, destroying a world, village, etc. Could something of smaller magnitude have a more devastating effect? Or is that the measure by which we judge? A whole world is psychotic but.....c'mon

BackFire
Well, Kefka also killed the whole family of Cyan, was responsible for the death of Lockes love (I think), was responsible for using Terra for destructive purposes by capturing her and forcing her to wear the slave crown......the list goes on.

Kefka was truley an excellent villian.

SlimYout
Can we also reach the conclusion that all/most rpg villains are the got to villains? The ones that always come through in za clutch? And could someone respond to my post about Sephiroth?

Deus Ex
I think this is pretty straightforward. The avatar of the Profound Darkness (Read: Dark Force) destroyed an entire planet and crippled the economy, lifestyles, and everything of two other inhabited planets.

That beats Kefka, Sephiroth, and any other two-bit RPG villain.

SlimYout
Ok now we have a more unique measure to judge by. That being the said crippling of economy, lifestyle. Don't want nag but can get to why Sephiroth um.........it think roxwhors?

BackFire
I'm not a big fan of Sephiroth, he's a decent villian but the hate just wasn't their as it was for Kefka. While playing through FF6 you truley begin to despise him, as you should with a villian. The fact that he's so well developed as a villian, and so evil, and so purely hateable is more important actually then any of his acts.

You can have the most powerful villian in ever seen, but if the player doesn't hate him, and doesn't care about the final encounter he's still a failure as a main villian.

SlimYout
True Mr. LeatherFace, so true. I was getting to that a little bit before. Isn't Sephiroth most hated for acts? I never played FF6, but if those are the feelings that sprout from watching his character develop, then Kefka must be something serious.

BackFire
Sephiroth is more or less hated because he killed Aeris. This, while being a key plot device to the game, is incredibly cliche as a way to get the villian "over" in an easy and effective way. They more or less took the easy way out by doing that, and it allowed them to take the time that would normally be dedicated to developing a good villian, and place it elsewhere.

Kefka on the other hand, had more screen time then any other FF villian I can think of. And the great thing is there's never any real motive for his actions, he's just evil, crazy, spiteful and brilliant, and the hate and excitement I remember feeling leading up to the final battle with him at the end of the game is truley amazing, I remember it very vividly, despite the fact that I first played that game over 10 years ago.

SlimYout
Damn, that must be a great feeling. Now for the post interview wrap up, how did the victory feel Backfire?

Deus Ex
Originally posted by BackFire
Sephiroth is more or less hated because he killed Aeris. This, while being a key plot device to the game, is incredibly cliche as a way to get the villian "over" in an easy and effective way. They more or less took the easy way out by doing that, and it allowed them to take the time that would normally be dedicated to developing a good villian, and place it elsewhere.

Kefka on the other hand, had more screen time then any other FF villian I can think of. And the great thing is there's never any real motive for his actions, he's just evil, crazy, spiteful and brilliant, and the hate and excitement I remember feeling leading up to the final battle with him at the end of the game is truley amazing, I remember it very vividly, despite the fact that I first played that game over 10 years ago.

I agree. Kefka was easy to hate, and he was just crazy; probably a result of his being a magicite test subject. Who knows? In any case, if we assign points for wicked evil, he would be way way up there.

Did you ever beat FF 6 from the World of Ruin on with only the three neccessary characters? (Edgar, Celes, and Setzer?) It's a blast.

Deus Ex
However, I'd like to reiterate the depth of the Profound Darkness' evil- it is THE source. It's also about absolute destruction of all life in the galaxy. And it's considerably powerful compared to Sephiroth or even the godlike incarnation of Kefka. Zio, a magician who was given a sliver of its power, did some considerable evil for being a local pawn: things like burning an entire village, turning another village's inhabitants entirely into stone statues, murdering a main character with a flick of his wrist, etc. He's also in control of the technological mainframe of the planet, a hub from which the Mother Brain computer in PS II controlled the climate of the planet.

Dark Force, a portion of the Darkness' power, was directly responsible for the destruction of Palma. The age after this (a millenium of technological decline which lead up to PS IV) showed lots of desperation, increase in lawlessness and monster attacks, climates spiralled out of control (The two inhabited planets were a desert and a wintry planet rspectively).

While more impersonal than say, Sephiroth or Kefka, the amount of damage was considerable.

You know, there is probably another video game baddie who is even worse (Both personal and capable of great evil), but I can't think of one right now.

SlimYout
OK Deus, I will elaborate on your last statement. We always seem to mention the Sephiroth, Kefka's, etc. Aside from the norm who else embodies a putrid, inhumane bastard ass, who is heartless, and will not hesitate to kill?

Deus Ex
Every RE badguy.

BackFire
Originally posted by SlimYout
Damn, that must be a great feeling. Now for the post interview wrap up, how did the victory feel Backfire?

Very well deserved. Upon first beating the game I felt a great sense of accomplishment, though I was very sad that the story had ended, the game had been a large part of my life for a good 2 months, and I had been playing is a large number of hours a day and had gotten very attached to the characters. Though, beating the game and seeing the beautiful ending was a wonderful feeling, and still, to this day, I consider FF6 the best game ever made.

Deus Ex
I rather felt the ending was too cinematic and not enough closure.

SlimYout
Originally posted by Deus Ex
Every RE badguy.

So very true, because they know nothing else. Damn science projects, they never go out of style.

Deus Ex
In particular, Albert Wesker, the running villian of RE series, has every virus and parasite sample in the series. While Capcom wants to make as many REs as there are James Bond movies, the end battle is gonna be brutal. I would not discount the idea of almost total annihilation of the human population or near there.

SlimYout
Originally posted by BackFire
Very well deserved. Upon first beating the game I felt a great sense of accomplishment, though I was very sad that the story had ended, the game had been a large part of my life for a good 2 months, and I had been playing is a large number of hours a day and had gotten very attached to the characters. Though, beating the game and seeing the beautiful ending was a wonderful feeling, and still, to this day, I consider FF6 the best game ever made.

A friend of mine was playing FF6 with his brother and fell asleep. His brother continued to play until 6am. My friend woke and his brother said
"I....I beat it," and passed out. LO friggin L. That must have been a real addicting game.

Deus Ex
FF VI is good. Perhaps the pinnacle of the series (Either that or FF IV, depending on who you're talking to). Anything after that went too deep into the realm of Ja-pop and stat building. Stat building in particular irks me, because it was never neccessary in the original RPGS. Wise and time consuming, but never neccessary. FF VI I could beat on as low a level as 35, and with only three characters for the second half of the game. Once you get good with the battles and arm yourself smart, this is possible.

But in all these new games, the idea is massive stat building, leveling up... and don't even get me started on the overly flashy, half hour attacks.

Meh. Sorry.

SlimYout
I don't know, I've played rpgs but I never really got into them too much. I mean they are considerably the best type of game to play. They are practical in that they are like a few games rolled up in one. Maybe I should try some again. The last one I played was FFX and I was helping a friend beat this part with summons. Knights of the Round anyone?

SlimYout
Let me try to get back on topic. Heihachi Mishima is another true evil old fart who needs his just deserts forced down throat. He wanted to make his son Kazuya stronger by using lions education. Ends up killing him. And shoots his grandson multiple times. He's new but Arkham from Devil May Cry 3 was pretty screwed up. The lengths he went to......

Deus Ex
Hm. Not familiar with either of those.

But as far as going with enemies that are horribly evil (irredeemable, I'd even say), some of the RE kooks take the cake.

SlimYout
What about Ares from God of War. He seemed to do a lot of damage after helping Kratos. Nightmares, destruction, etc.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.