I Need Help!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BlackC@t
Does anyone know any special food traditions of celebrations/festivals that happen in Scotland that are associated with food!?

I can't find much! please help!

Corran
I'd look for porridge, whiskey and Haggis.

BlackC@t
I'm looking for traditions.

Ah screw it! Homework is stupid!

Corran
I think Haggis is some sort of tradition.

WickedTexasMomA
Go here to find what you need.

http://www.scotlandonline.com/heritage/cookery_index_main.cfm

WickedTexasMomA
Haggis is awful stuff...yuck!

METHOD
To make a modern haggis, the pluck (liver, heart, lights or lungs) is washed and put to boil until tender. When cool, the meat is chopped or minced finely and mixed with the oatmeal, onions, salt, pepper and spices. It's then put again through a coarser mincer. The mixture is moistened, usually with meat gravy, put into a filler and pumped into the prepared natural, or artificial casings which are then sealed. The haggis is then cooked in boiling water for about an hour, depending on size, the mixture swells up to fill the skins, then it's left to cool. An independent butcher specializing in haggis might make an annual 200 tons, while a large meat-processing company may make the same amount in a month. It is also sold tinned. The weight can vary from 75-100g/3-4oz (individual size) to 4-5kg/8-10lb 'Chieftain' haggis which would feed 20. An average over-the-counter haggis to feed a family of four is around 250g-500g/1/2-1lb.

Wickerman
Originally posted by WickedTexasMomA
Haggis is awful stuff...yuck!

METHOD
To make a modern haggis, the pluck (liver, heart, lights or lungs) is washed and put to boil until tender. When cool, the meat is chopped or minced finely and mixed with the oatmeal, onions, salt, pepper and spices. It's then put again through a coarser mincer. The mixture is moistened, usually with meat gravy, put into a filler and pumped into the prepared natural, or artificial casings which are then sealed. The haggis is then cooked in boiling water for about an hour, depending on size, the mixture swells up to fill the skins, then it's left to cool. An independent butcher specializing in haggis might make an annual 200 tons, while a large meat-processing company may make the same amount in a month. It is also sold tinned. The weight can vary from 75-100g/3-4oz (individual size) to 4-5kg/8-10lb 'Chieftain' haggis which would feed 20. An average over-the-counter haggis to feed a family of four is around 250g-500g/1/2-1lb.

You may say that now, just because you read it. But i doubt you've ever actually eaten haggis. It's so awesome droolio

~wickerman~

WickedTexasMomA
I've had Haggis,my grandmother came down from Scotland often when I was a kid and she'd make us eat haggis..said it would put hair on are chest...o.O"

Wickerman
Originally posted by WickedTexasMomA
I've had Haggis,my grandmother came down from Scotland often when I was a kid and she'd make us eat haggis..said it would put hair on are chest...o.O"

laughing out loud

Well she was right laughing

That might be a very important point, you being a woman and all. I for one love it.

~wickerman~

WickedTexasMomA
Yes she was right..I once found a hair on my boob..thankfully it was one of my husband chest hairs...scared me for a minute tho!I love the fresh lamb stew she used to make tho*droooools*

Kosta
Good haggis is yum. Bad haggis, like my grandmother once made tastes like something way to foul to put in to words. I guess its the same for most foods, if prepared well, they taste good, if not, they don't.

nitro-swicked
i love haggis yes

DarkC
Haggis sounds nasty but it tastes okay.

Gold Digger
here

big gay kirk
On Burns Night, the Haggis is piped to the table by a man in full plaid with the Bagpipes.... that's a tradition....

amity75
A traditional Scottish snack is a donner kebab.

amity75
Originally posted by amity75
A traditional Scottish snack is a donner kebab. Forgot to mention a very important thing - With no salad.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.