Poetry.com ~ Nothing But A Hoax!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Syren
Please, if any of you have submitted your work to www.poetry.com, DO NOT send them any money!! They are nothing but a sham, I submitted some pieces a while back and I still have all of the correspondence regarding the poem that they were going to publish, but I refused to send the extortionate amounts of money they asked for and I didn't go to the 'conventions' or 'award ceremonies' as they were in the US and I'm in the UK... and I'm glad I didn't!

http://windpub.com/literary.scams/ilp.htm

Check out the link and read through, it's absolutely disgusting and I would really hate for any of you to be taken in by their lies. Luckily I wasn't entirely tricked, although I felt extremely let down when I realised my work was never going to be published erm

NunYahBidness
My apologies to you Syren, as you've got some wonderful pieces. But whenever a publishing house or a website asks money for them to publish your work, then by all means question that policy. Reputable companies pay you for the rights to your works not the other way around.

If you truly want to publish your work, you've got to do it the old fashion way...

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! But you gotta love "My Cat has Fleas"

Syren
Thanks Nun wink

NunYahBidness
No Problem...it's a shame really for any aspiring poets to be had like that.

DreamingWarrior
wow.... glad i was too lazy to submit some... haha... was told to by a friend. hmm, my thanks and gratitude to you, Lady Sy.

Fëanor
you should try zoetrope.com...

Syren
That's a good idea, Fea... post some valid links to poetry competitions big grin

Fëanor
Okay...here's the site www.zoetrope.com/about.cgi. It's not just a site for poetry. It has everything from shorts to scripts (which i've already submitted cool ) to photography.

thing is....once registered, you can submit one work...but to submit more you have to review 5 or more other's work, kinda time consuming, but eh. hope the link works

NunYahBidness
Isn't that Coppola's site?

CrazyInLove
hmm, well both me and my sister submitted a poem to the poetry.com and we did pay the money to get the book and our poems our in their books.. but yeah I trust that poetry.com is just wanting peoples money.. but the book that mine is published in is called A Surrender To The Moon The International Library of Poetry. Howard Ely is the Editor. My sister's poem was published in Invoking The Muse, The International Library of Poetry.

Thanks Julian for the linkwink

Fëanor
Originally posted by NunYahBidness
Isn't that Coppola's site? as a matter of fact it is...Originally posted by CrazyInLove
hmm, well both me and my sister submitted a poem to the poetry.com and we did pay the money to get the book and our poems our in their books.. but yeah I trust that poetry.com is just wanting peoples money.. but the book that mine is published in is called A Surrender To The Moon The International Library of Poetry. Howard Ely is the Editor. My sister's poem was published in Invoking The Muse, The International Library of Poetry.

Thanks Julian for the linkwink no prob thumb up

but i may've posted that link when I was logged on, so it might not work embarrasment

www.zoetrope.com here's the main page

Syren
Originally posted by CrazyInLove

Thanks Julian for the linkwink

Have you received the books yet? Have you seen the books being sold in any bookstores? Mine is supposed to be in a book called 'Eternal Dreams, The International Library of Poetry' and although we didn't buy any of the books for ourselves, I still haven't had a glimpse of this book anywhere erm

CrazyInLove
Originally posted by Syren
Have you received the books yet? Have you seen the books being sold in any bookstores? Mine is supposed to be in a book called 'Eternal Dreams, The International Library of Poetry' and although we didn't buy any of the books for ourselves, I still haven't had a glimpse of this book anywhere erm

Yes, I am actually looking at the books right now. I just searched amazon.com and they sell the International books of poetry on there, but there was too many pages to look at so I didn't see if they had the books that I have on there.. it's probably nothing but a hoax, but there are some good poems in the books.

Syren
yes I'm glad they're actually selling real books, but I have yet to see any proof that anyone I know has had their work published as promised erm

Syren
The book with my poem is called Eternal Portraits, soz big grin

http://poetry.com/Publications/search.asp

BUT, if you click this link, put the name Kerry Barker in the search and then choose any of the following poems {all mine};

A Gentle Warning
Just a Phase
Perception
Reflections
Til Death Do Us Part
Truth
Unity
Vampyr
Vanity
When You Crack

...and then go to the bottom of the page to order the book, it tells you that each poem is in Eternal Portraits, even though I was told the book would only feature 'Just A Phase'... is this not odd to you?

CrazyInLove

BUT, if you click this link, put the name Kerry Barker in the search and then choose any of the following poems {all mine};

A Gentle Warning
Just a Phase
Perception
Reflections
Til Death Do Us Part
Truth
Unity
Vampyr
Vanity
When You Crack

...and then go to the bottom of the page to order the book, it tells you that each poem is in Eternal Portraits, even though I was told the book would only feature 'Just A Phase'... is this not odd to you?

yeah it is odd.

Coldfire

A Gentle Warning
Just a Phase
Perception
Reflections
Til Death Do Us Part
Truth
Unity
Vampyr
Vanity
When You Crack

very odd....

i had a company contact me on dA... xlibris I think it was... and they wanted to send me a self-publishing kit... but that means giving out personal information... so I was like uhhhhhh

Syren
If it was deviant Art themselves who contacted you I would say it was kosher, but if it was a company on dA, then it's probably a good thing you didn't wink

And I'm now sure that poetry.com is a hoax with regard to the amounts of money people are asked for, and the books, because of the above post. It's evidence enough for me.

Lana
Originally posted by Coldfire
very odd....

i had a company contact me on dA... xlibris I think it was... and they wanted to send me a self-publishing kit... but that means giving out personal information... so I was like uhhhhhh

deviantART actually just said in one of their community update bulletins to be cautious of such things like that. I haven't been asked anything like that, but I do well enough selling my prints through dA that I wouldn't bother with it anyway.

Anyway, I submitted stuff to poetry.com a while back, to check them out for Trickster who was unsure as to whether they're real or not, and I keep getting emails asking to buy this book with my poem in it (and I submitted a crap poem so I know it's not real stick out tongue) and to go to this awards ceremony....yeah, it's BS.

And, uh, Coldfire....your signature is killing the page....

NunYahBidness
Is that why my screen has gone whacko!!!!

As I've said before, if you have to pay someone in order for you pieces to be printed and published, then I find that very wrong. It just goes against the firmly held belief that your work, any work is something that someone or whatever company/organisation is willing to shell out for acquiring said artist's creative endeavour.

That be like telling Warhol (not to my liking) he has to pay a gallery to have his work shown!!! Or asking Hemingway to pay to have his story The Old Man and the Sea published. BAH!

Lana
Is that why my screen has gone whacko!!!!

As I've said before, if you have to pay someone in order for you pieces to be printed and published, then I find that very wrong. It just goes against the firmly held belief that your work, any work is something that someone or whatever company/organisation is willing to shell out for acquiring said artist's creative endeavour.

That be like telling Warhol (not to my liking) he has to pay a gallery to have his work shown!!! Or asking Hemingway to pay to have his story The Old Man and the Sea published. BAH!

Yup, it's crap.

I've never had any interested in getting any of my poetry or other writings published or sold, but I have been selling prints of my artwork for some time through deviantART. Haven't had too terribly much success yet, but then again I'm still fairly unknown on there, though as of late I've had people asking to submit pieces of mine to be printed because they've wanted to buy them, and I see my stuff popping up on wishlists more and more.

Besides, don't people realize that the term 'starving artist' is very true?

....man, I'd KILL to get some of my stuff shown in a gallery....

NunYahBidness
Originally posted by Lana
Yup, it's crap.

I've never had any interested in getting any of my poetry or other writings published or sold, but I have been selling prints of my artwork for some time through deviantART. Haven't had too terribly much success yet, but then again I'm still fairly unknown on there, though as of late I've had people asking to submit pieces of mine to be printed because they've wanted to buy them, and I see my stuff popping up on wishlists more and more.

Besides, don't people realize that the term 'starving artist' is very true?

....man, I'd KILL to get some of my stuff shown in a gallery.... Hmm...Really? Post me your link as I'd like to see your work. I've a friend who's very much into such things even if his confidence is not on the same level as his abilities!!

Lana
I'll PM it to you smile

NunYahBidness
Again, thank you! NOT. A. WORD!!

Lana
Lips are sealed smile

Ushgarak
Yup, this is one of the oldest tricks in the book, carried on in the days before the net, for the last 50 years or more.

Golden rule of any form of publication is- publishers pay authors, NEVER the other way around, regardless of how tempting it sounds.

Syren
Thanks for all the additional comments guys, it's great to be able to confirm these kinds of things for aspiring poets... I'd hate for anyone to get sucked in by the lies. It's really sad erm

NunYahBidness
Unfortunately for every 1 that learn the hard way when it comes to these shams, there are 10 new ones to fall for that trap!

Syren
yes

So, beware poets! There are so many obstacles...

traci
I'm sorry to say but I would have to disagree with all of you about Poetry.com. My husband submitted a poem "Dear Drunk Driver" not only did he win a contest but if you look on the very first page of "A surrender to the Moon" you will find his poem, and the only money we paid was for the purchase of the book itself.

Dear Drunk Driver
Dedicated to Suzanne Murphy, killed by a drunk driver on 03/27/04.

Dear drunk driver, this message is for you,
What were you thinking, what did you do?
You started to drive home drunk,
Why couldn't you give up your keys and not be a punk?
Who do you think had to clean up your mistake?
How many more lives do drunk drivers have to take?
The tears I've seen the people cry
Or the lines where the dead bodies once lied.
The nights I can't sleep because of the images you create,
You wonder why in my heart there is so much hate,
Granted when I get there the mess is almost cleared away,
But I have ears and can hear what the people say.
How you decided to drive home drunk,
But like the others you just walked away.
It's the people you hit that get placed in their grave.
You're not the only one who lives with the grief,
I bet you can't count the hearts you've hurt, you thief.
You stole their lives just to have some fun,
But in the end no one has won!

James Edward Allen

Fëanor
i actually got an emailer from poetry.com about a contest and the grand prize is $10,000. SWEEEET!!!!

Syren
Do you have the book? If so, then I am glad to hear that poetry.com is in fact sending out publications. The real problem is that people are paying extortionate amounts of money for awards ceremonies, trophies, buying the books in bulk etc. And these are the people who are being let down.

This thread is not based on opinion, it's fact.

Fëanor
i'm not actually going to enter it as i have my reservations. but honestly though i'm thinking of printing all of my stuff (over 200) and submitting to a publishing house just to see what kind of reaction i get out of it!!! y'know, maybe it'll be published....now wouldn't that be grand!!!!

any advice!

Syren
Go for it Fea, just remember that if your work is worth publishing, they will pay you. And I'd buy a copy of your book if you ever became famous wink

Fëanor
Oh most definately i will....just don't know how to go about is all, getting it published that is!

but you wouldn't have to buy it Sy!!! I'll send ya an autographed copy if it came to that!

Syren
That would be wonderful cry

I suggest you open a thread asking for advice on how to get your work published, someone's bound to know.

Lana
Try contacting some publishing houses, send them samples of your work or copies of your manuscript....I really don't know, in fact messed

Syren
Good ideas nonetheless, Lana...

Fëanor
according to this idiot's guide i purchased, it also states it is a good idea to get an agent messed

that way the author cannot be taken advantage of, even by legitimate houses....this i did not know!

Lana
Yeah, an agent and an attorney are always good things to have, that way they can't try and screw you over.....

Syren
Always have protection yes

Lana
laughing

Syren
eyes

Fëanor
LMAO!!!! laughing

good one! wink thumb up

Coldfire

Fëanor
and me too?? happy

laughing out loud and i'll send yah a special one! smile

Coldfire

Fëanor
not so fast! i've got to get it published first, if that happens wink

Coldfire

Fëanor
lol well of course stick out tongue wisen hiemer(sp)! glare

Coldfire

Fëanor
HA! gotcha! stick out tongue

NunYahBidness
Okay you two need to stop!!!!! One thread maybe, two threads, mmmm...i'll let it slide! But THREE!!!!!! You both act like a couple of loons in friggin' love or something!!!! AAAAAGH!!!!

NunYahBidness

Coldfire
Okay you two need to stop!!!!! One thread maybe, two threads, mmmm...i'll let it slide! But THREE!!!!!! You both act like a couple of loons in friggin' love or something!!!! AAAAAGH!!!!
hysterical

Fëanor
Okay you two need to stop!!!!! One thread maybe, two threads, mmmm...i'll let it slide! But THREE!!!!!! You both act like a couple of loons in friggin' love or something!!!! AAAAAGH!!!! ah. ha. ha. ha....ah. ha. ha. ha. no expressionOriginally posted by NunYahBidness
Oh FFS!!!!! I've only been telling you this for weeks to do it you maroon!!!! Someone with so much talen, you really have no confidence do you! ALL RIGHT!!!! i got the picture already! sheesh!!!!Originally posted by Coldfire
hysterical funny is it?

Syren
Hilarious, obviously... and you do, some kind of married couple.

Coldfire

Fëanor
yeah...i'd like to know why that is? huh cause i'm confused as to why NOW and not before dontgetit

ohwait...you just said that! nevermind...stick out tongue

Coldfire

Fëanor
i know...it's not like we've acted any different than...uh, um

we're not acting any different i don't think? dontgetit

Coldfire

Fëanor
The same as always, minus a few smilies and pet names.... oh really? shifty

Coldfire

Fëanor
oh so then we better not start that again, eh? naughty big grin

Coldfire

Fëanor
you mean we never finished it?? huh i'm confused!

Syren
Schnookums... you forgot to call each other schnookums nono

Fëanor
Schnookums... you forgot to call each other schnookums nono i refuse to play the game on the grounds it might incriminate me in a court of law...in accordance to article 12 section G4 paragraph 3C yada yada yada!

but some arm twisting and chocolates i may reconsider!

Coldfire

Fëanor
lol stick out tongue

Or someone tying you to a chair and tickling you with a blue feather?? wink

laughing out loud eek!...............laughing

well that might work! stick out tongue

Coldfire

Fëanor
riiiiiiight! wink thumb up

and i'll just sit there and do....nothing??? i should think NOT! harr dee harr harr!!! big grin

Coldfire

Fëanor
awww dammit no fair.... you're bigger than I am... I think I'm gonna need some help tying you down then stick out tongue hahaha!!! laughing

what makes yah think i'll....resist? (notice the use of no smilies here so as to not give others more than they need to think of) <--wow! that was a bit long.

Coldfire

Fëanor

Coldfire

Fëanor
wha? seriously i don't recall ever being embarrassed...*thinks*

ohwait!!! nevermiiiiiiiind! big grin

Coldfire

NunYahBidness
Schnookums... you forgot to call each other schnookums nono They may as well start saying "I love you my poopoo bear....howzabout a huggle wuggle??" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Ouch! I almost felt my food go back up!!

Really you two...if you must (and I really wish you didn't) CAN YOU KEEPT IT TO ONE THREAD!!!!

Syren
awww dammit no fair.... you're bigger than I am... I think I'm gonna need some help tying you down then stick out tongue

*falls off chair in eagerness to volunteer*

eek! I'm in!! eek!

Syren
They may as well start saying "I love you my poopoo bear....howzabout a huggle wuggle??" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Ouch! I almost felt my food go back up!!

Really you two...if you must (and I really wish you didn't) CAN YOU KEEPT IT TO ONE THREAD!!!!

You're just jealous, sweetie-doll-baby-honey eyes

Fëanor
*falls off chair in eagerness to volunteer*

eek! I'm in!! eek! perv oh maaaaaan...my ticker's about to give! eek!

Syren
laughing

I thought you said 'pecker'...

Fëanor
wha? i......was thinking it!!! eek!

Coldfire

Fëanor
shrug

Syren
hysterical2

Fëanor
hysterical2 mhm

Syren
mad

Fëanor
cry...................flowers

Syren
schmoll

Fëanor
serenade

Coldfire
hysterical2
laughing out loud

sheesh you two stick out tongue

NunYahBidness
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! What the hell is this??? First Cold, now Sy??? Dude, you got yourself a woman already....leave these one's alone ffs!!!!

Syren
Nun, sweetie... I gotta have some company when you're gone eyes

danagrint
Once I sent my poem to them, and 2 weeks later I got a letter saying that I won a trophy and they were going to send it to me and I never got it.

And they told me I should send $50.00 so I could get a book of poems and so I could meet and tell George W. Bush my poem

Fëanor
Nun, sweetie... I gotta have some company when you're gone eyes laughing hopefully i pass expectations!! big grin

Syren
Originally posted by danagrint
Once I sent my poem to them, and 2 weeks later I got a letter saying that I won a trophy and they were going to send it to me and I never got it.

And they told me I should send $50.00 so I could get a book of poems and so I could meet and tell George W. Bush my poem

Did you send the money? I hope you didn't, and I'm sorry you were deceived.

Coldfire

Fëanor
hahaha I sooooo am not gonna say anything about that stick out tongue

He had to have somebody else while my computer was bein fixed after all haha stick out tongue you know...i get the feeling that you don't like me huh

Coldfire

Fëanor
Wha?? huh How do you get that impression??! Of course I like you huh *rereads posts*Originally posted by Coldfire
hahaha I sooooo am not gonna say anything about that stick out tongue

He had to have somebody else while my computer was bein fixed after all haha stick out tongue

Coldfire

Fëanor
I was just buggin ya.... confused i know....and i like messin' with yah too...stick out tongue

Coldfire

Fëanor
gah you always do that too.... damn you stick out tongue hahahaha!! laughing thought you knew me by now...big grin

Coldfire

Fëanor
As you would say: Shut it! laughing out loud as you would say: now you know you can't make me! laughing

Coldfire

Fëanor
dammit laughing out loud But maybe I CAN make you shifty oh right...you and what, what? shifty

Coldfire

Fëanor
Don't make me come over there Julian shifty hehehe...i could take that one of two ways amber...shifty

Coldfire

Fëanor
Yeah, I'm sure you would stick out tongue hey you said it...not me big grin

Coldfire

Fëanor
oh right! my bad......not! big grin

Coldfire

danagrint
Did you send the money? I hope you didn't, and I'm sorry you were deceived.

I didn't

Fëanor
laughing out loud You're such a dork stick out tongue laughing but you gotta love it though big grin

Coldfire

Fëanor
lol yeah I guess so stick out tongue you guess? well i'm hurt! schmoll

Coldfire

Fëanor
Awww I'm sorry if I deflated your over large ego hug laughing out loud

wink hahahahahaha!!! laughing

you said "large" shifty

Coldfire

Fëanor
laughing out loud *falls off chair*

omg I should have known you'd say that hysterical laughing could i have done any less? big grin

Coldfire

jerseygirl788
I don't know guys, i sent in a poem and im in two books. i actually have one of them. (a surrender to the moon) So is it real or not?

Fëanor
You're a guy; of course not stick out tongue laughing out loud oh hey cool....at least you remembered that much about me, yeah? stick out tongue

Coldfire

Fëanor
I remember a lot about you wink lol eek oh yeah, that's right.....

bag no need to let the smilie out the bag, m'kay?

Coldfire

Fëanor
for now??!??eek! how about...for never stick out tongue

Coldfire

Fëanor
We'll see, we'll see..... heh heh heh heh heh oh crap eek

Coldfire

Fëanor
You know it wink oh you wouldn't dare!! shock

Coldfire

Fëanor
nyaaaaaaah!!! fear

Coldfire

Fëanor
heh heh heh heh big grin oh stop! stick out tongue

Coldfire

Fëanor
somehow... i had a feeling you were gonna say that big grin

Coldfire

Fëanor
Well then why did you bother saying that? stick out tongue i dunno... i had nothing esle to say? big grin

Coldfire

Barbeau
I (the fool that I am) have had a couple of poems published on the site , and I (the fool that I am) DID buy a book (or two maybe), but yeah, they were in there...along with some other good ones...but definitely some very crappy ones were in there too. Thanks for giving me the headsup before I post anymore on there.

Fëanor
lol you should have thought of something else then stick out tongue i'm sorry... but i wasn't feeling witty at that moment.Originally posted by Barbeau
I (the fool that I am) have had a couple of poems published on the site , and I (the fool that I am) DID buy a book (or two maybe), but yeah, they were in there...along with some other good ones...but definitely some very crappy ones were in there too. Thanks for giving me the headsup before I post anymore on there. dude! i feel for yah, maaaan! post your stuff here... we promise to be nice, ya know.

Coldfire

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>