The List Of Beatitudes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Raven Guardia
My mom was telling me about the beatitudes and with her help I was able to find where they were at in the Bible. I will share these with people who are interested.

Matthew 5:3-10.

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are they who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure of heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven

Raven Guardia
Here are the Beatitudes explained: (http://jesuschristsavior.net/Beatitudes.html)

ON THE BEATITUDES

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
"Poor in spirit" means to be humble. Humility is the realization that all your gifts and blessings come from the grace of God. To have poverty of spirit means to be completely empty and open to the Word of God. When we are an empty cup and devoid of pride, we are humble. Humility brings an openness and an inner peace, allowing one to do the will of God.

It is pride, the opposite of humility, that brings misery. For pride brings anger and the seeking of revenge, especially when one is offended. If every man were humble and poor in spirit, there would be no war!

"Blessed are they who mourn, for they shall be comforted."
Gregory of Nyssa taught that the Beatitudes built one upon another. Thus if we are humble and appreciate that all of our gifts and blessings come from God, we grow in love and gratitude for Jesus Christ our Savior. But this can only produce mourning and regret over our own sins and the sins of this world, for we have hurt the one who has been so good to us.

"Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth."
A person who is meek is gentle and kind, and exhibits a docility of spirit. Obedience and submission to the will of God are certainly not in vogue these days, but they will bring one peace in this world and in the next.

"Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied."
A continuous desire for justice and moral perfection will lead one to a fulfillment of that desire - a transition and conversion to holiness.

"Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy."
Love, compassion, and forgiveness towards one's neighbor will bring peace in your relationships. And your Heavenly Father will be merciful with you! Jesus reminds us that whatever "you did to the least of my brethren, you did it to me ." Here are the Corporal and Spiritual Works of Mercy:

The Corporal Works of Mercy
1 Feed the Hungry
2 Give drink to the thirsty
3 Clothe the naked
4 Shelter the homeless
5 Comfort the imprisoned
6 Visit the sick
7 Bury the dead

The Spiritual Works of Mercy
1 Admonish sinners
2 Instruct the uninformed
3 Counsel the doubtful
4 Comfort the sorrowful
5 Be patient with those in error
6 Forgive offenses
7 Pray for the living and the dead

"Blessed are the pure of heart, for they shall see God."
To be pure of heart means to be free of all selfish intentions and self-seeking desires. What a beautiful goal! How many times have any of us performed an act perfectly free of any personal gain? But an act of pure and selfless giving brings happiness to all.

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called children of God."
Peacemakers not only live peaceful lives but also try to bring peace and friendship to others, and to preserve peace between God and man. Gregory of Nyssa pointed out that by imitating God's love of man, the peacemakers become children of God.

"Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven."
Jesus said many times that those who follow Him will be persecuted. "If they persecute me, they will persecute you ." But the Lord promises his disciples that their reward will be the Kingdom of Heaven!

finti
explained?explained by who, god? or just someone who thinks this is what it means

debbiejo
Originally posted by Raven Guardia
My mom was telling me about the beatitudes and with her help I was able to find where they were at in the Bible. I will share these with people who are interested.

Matthew 5:3-10.

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are they who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure of heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven

This could also be taken with a buddhist view also....and the Kingdom of heaven/god is within...Just as Jesus said..

"And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation: Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you."
(Luke 17:20-21 KJV)

I believe it's telling us how we should treat others and act here and now.

Raven Guardia
Originally posted by finti
explained?explained by who, god? or just someone who thinks this is what it means

Its actually Gods word. Its explained, But what is there not to understand?

Originally posted by debbiejo
This could also be taken with a buddhist view also....and the Kingdom of heaven/god is within...Just as Jesus said..

"And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation: Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you."
(Luke 17:20-21 KJV)

I believe it's telling us how we should treat others and act here and now.

If God and Heaven is your heart, then you will do your best to do his work. Thats what I get from it. Such as how we should treat others.

finti
if they were gods word why do they need to explain them further like its done on this website, and whats not to understand well it was yo who linked these so called explanations

Raven Guardia
if they were gods word why do they need to explain them further like its done on this website, and whats not to understand well it was yo who linked these so called explanations

I gave a link, so incase any of you gave me a hard time you could see my source. Just because there the words of God doesnt mean that they cant be explained. Some people may not have not understood them. Plus it is always good to understand and know the words of God.

finti
if reading the bible doesnt tell you what you need then what use is it at all

Raven Guardia
if reading the bible doesnt tell you what you need then what use is it at all

It does tell you, but there is nothing wrong with discussing it or looking at deeper.

Beliver
So who did God "speak" these words to. What if the guy was a bit slow and didn't catch the right words or meaning. Whats to say the guy who said that God had told him this wonderous thing, didn't actually have voices in his head (just like the ones talking to me). Maybe he was just a really chilled out, great person but was a bit shy and gave God all the publicity.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Beliver
So who did God "speak" these words to. What if the guy was a bit slow and didn't catch the right words or meaning. Whats to say the guy who said that God had told him this wonderous thing, didn't actually have voices in his head (just like the ones talking to me). Maybe he was just a really chilled out, great person but was a bit shy and gave God all the publicity.

I've seen people in churches do that all the time...the "God gave me a message" thing...

If god wants us to know something, I think it could be done with a very loud voice instead of a book....don't ya think?

Beliver
I've seen people in churches do that all the time...the "God gave me a message" thing...

If god wants us to know something, I think it could be done with a very loud voice instead of a book....don't ya think?

Maybe God has got a really silly voice like the big nasty bounty hunters in the film "Suburban Commando" with Hulk Hogan?!?

Raven Guardia

God doesn't chose to speak to everyone. Look at yourselves, do you really think we would speak to you if knows your already not going to listen.

Originally posted by Beliver
Maybe God has got a really silly voice like the big nasty bounty hunters in the film "Suburban Commando" with Hulk Hogan?!?

Your a real funny one, you are roll eyes (sarcastic)

debbiejo
Originally posted by Raven Guardia
God doesn't chose to speak to everyone. Look at yourselves, do you really think we would speak to you if knows your already not going to listen.

How do you know god doesn't speak to me?....I'm always listening and I do hear...It's just not what you would call god.

Raven Guardia
How do you know god doesn't speak to me?....I'm always listening and I do hear...It's just not what you would call god.

I never said he didn't. I am just saying he doesn't speak to everyone especially if they wont listen.

finti
certain christians should follow the last example here, and as of god what kind of god is it that would give up

Beliver
Whats the point in only telling people who will listen. Not the best way spread a message. Look at Martin Luther King...wouldn't of conveyed the same message if he gave his "I have a dream" speech to just black people.

finti
well for me who doesnt believe that would be called progress

debbiejo
Something talks to me.... blink ....who is it?

mr.smiley
It's me.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.