asaaj ventress vs. yarael poof

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mace=badass
idk...

Deus Ex
I don't either. What has Yarael ever done to show that he can even duck a low doorway?

Admiral Akbar
Well he did save coruscant and die in the process. But still thats nothing special, he was not a hot shot jedi.

Darth_Glentract
The New Essential Guide to Characters has this to say on Poof:

Trigger Spontaneous fires by exciting the molecules in combustible objects
Can contort his body in strange ways because of no spinal cord
Battle meditation

He also is a master illusionist and was a Veteran of the Stark Hyperspace War.

Deus Ex
But could he whup her ass?

Illustrious
It doesn't say anything about his saber skills. That's great that he could be a master limboer or be Smokey the Bear's worst nightmare, but can he swing that glow stick around?

Admiral Akbar
No he was a kung fu master. He ran around and TK-o all the driods.

Deus Ex
Is that why the droids all made it to AOTC and he didn't?

Darth_Glentract
Originally posted by Admiral Akbar
No he was a kung fu master. He ran around and TK-o all the driods.

Why do I keep hearing about all these Jedi being Kung Fu masters?

Deus Ex
Curious, because kung fu doesn't exist in Star Wars.

jollyjim311
jujitsu jedi

Deus Ex
That doesn't exist either. Or if it does, it's because of some nimrod EU author, like the guy who made Lando Calrissian make hot chocolate.

jollyjim311
jujitsu jedi is a song www.watermanstudios.com go to the cd section

Admiral Akbar
Maul was quite the acrobatic, he used a form of martial arts..

Lord Darkstar
yeah, he used terasi kasi, it blends with lightsaber combat making your lightsaber skills stronger. It also lets you take advantage of your phyiscal strength and provides an advantage in a fight by surprising your opponent with a kick to the head

oh and again, what he used is made up in the SW universe, there is never any mention of judo, tae kwon do, etc. The only martial art that we know of for sure in the SW universe is the terasii kasi, and we don't know who mastered it enough to be effective in a fight

Deus Ex
The Medstar first book features an individual who practices many fighting styles. That is mentioned, as is "echani" and a few others. I'll double check it later tonight.

darthsith19
We don't really know how strong Yarael Poof is but we know he's a Jedi Master and a Council Member so he must be pretty strong. I'd assume he'd beat Asajj Ventress from Clone Wars Volume 1, seeing as she lostr to Padawan Anakin, but by the time of Obsession she has beat Kit Fisto, one of the strongest jedi in the order so by that time I'm fairly sure she'd beat Yarael. But like I said, we really don't know how strong he is.

Darth_Glentract
Yarael can cause objects to spontaneously combust, but I unless they are fighitng in gasoline, I don't think that will help much. Asajj wins.

Lord Darkstar
Originally posted by darthsith19
We don't really know how strong Yarael Poof is but we know he's a Jedi Master and a Council Member so he must be pretty strong. I'd assume he'd beat Asajj Ventress from Clone Wars Volume 1, seeing as she lostr to Padawan Anakin, but by the time of Obsession she has beat Kit Fisto, one of the strongest jedi in the order so by that time I'm fairly sure she'd beat Yarael. But like I said, we really don't know how strong he is.

I wouldn't place that much faith in the council membersr, remember that Coleman *jump, grin get shot* Trebor was a council member as well. The council members are chosen for wisdom, not for lightsaber ability. And seeing that we know next to nothing of Yarael's ability with a blade, he looses. Asajj was strong enough in the force that it would come down to a contest of blades, and she was a challenge for Anakin, meaning that she would beat most others. The only council members of note in a duel are Yoda, Mace, Obi-Wan and Anakin. Though Kit also wasn't bad.

kamikz
Yeah I also always thought that people was accepted as memebers of the council baised on their wisdom until I saw ROTS, (Anakin).

Fishy
Originally posted by kamikz
Yeah I also always thought that people was accepted as memebers of the council baised on their wisdom until I saw ROTS, (Anakin).

Well he was accepted because he needed to be.

darthsith19
Originally posted by Lord Darkstar
I wouldn't place that much faith in the council membersr, remember that Coleman *jump, grin get shot* Trebor was a council member as well.
Yeah, but Coleman sucks.

Read what kamikz said. Anakin is not wise. Anyway, who says they're chosen form wisdom and wisdom only?

Yeaj but still, most of the Council members are strong as well. The four strongest PT Jedi are on the Council. Generally the Council members are all strong for Jedi. Based on that and the fact that Poof's a Jedi Master I'd guess he's a pretty strong Jedi. Not saying he'd beat Asajj.

Fishy
Hmm Cin was stronger then most council members he wasn't a council member. Dooku wasn't a council member in TPM and he was far more powerful then most people in the council. Stronger in the force and with a lightsaber and wiser too if you ask me. There is a reason why people are let into the council and its not always strength in any way or form.

kamikz
Originally posted by Fishy
Well he was accepted because he needed to be.

It was a joke, I know they are selected because of wisdom. Hard to tell on the internet though.

Darth Faunus
Asajj Ventress gets another Jedi skull to hang on her wall. The woman beat Kit Fisto and Obi-Wan Kenobi. Well, the latter would have been defeated twice had there been no interference. Once in the Cestus Deception (Kit saves his ass), and once in the comics, where he escapes on a star ship. Poof has some ability, but next to someone like this, he'll be nothing if not wasted.

Deus Ex
Word. Also, Luminara was a good swordswoman and council member. She could hang for a bit. Poof? Just that. Poof. Gone.

Darth Faunus
Actually, I'd put Luminara as one of the only Jedi outside of Le Six who could defeat Ventress. With the exception of maybe Kit Fisto. But both of them would be pressed like living hell. Fisto lost once as it is, but I think he has a chance if he'd done that well. And Luminara, well, she's a Soresu master rivaling Kenobi.

Deus Ex
I'm surprised she's not better than him, considering she was a master and a Soresu practitioner before TPM (See The Approaching Storm and Cloak of Deception). Obi-Wan must be really good to surpass her.

Fishy
Or its just biased views from a lot of people... I wouldn't be surprised actually. Who ever really judged fairly over Obi Wan his powers?

Darth Faunus
Dude, Obi-Wan is the height of good. He's incredible. Look at what he's done. Hell, if I hadn't read EU, I'd put him on par with Windu. He's put Maul on his back at the age of 25, stood up to Dooku and had him giving ground at 35, and 38, he defeated a droid general who slaughtered Jedi for a living, ravaged an entire star cruiser, and defeated in single combat the Sith responsible for the death of a thousand Jedi. He would have been amazing had he cut loose in combat like he did against Maul. Imagine him as a Sith Lord. . . damn.

Fishy
Originally posted by Darth Faunus
Dude, Obi-Wan is the height of good. He's incredible. Look at what he's done. Hell, if I hadn't read EU, I'd put him on par with Windu. He's put Maul on his back at the age of 25, stood up to Dooku and had him giving ground at 35, and 38, he defeated a droid general who slaughtered Jedi for a living, ravaged an entire star cruiser, and defeated in single combat the Sith responsible for the death of a thousand Jedi. He would have been amazing had he cut loose in combat like he did against Maul. Imagine him as a Sith Lord. . . damn.

Oh yeah Obi Wan was brilliant, thats why he won all those fights. But was he actually better with a lightsaber? He was a better fighter, but i'm not so sure if he was better with that weapon. It would be hard to do, to become better then somebody that has practiced a lot longer then you.

Darth Faunus
Well, tactical thinking and mental aptitude aren't going to win fights on their own. It takes skill and ability to do what he did. Now, there are maybe four or five people in his time who could outduel him, and we know who they are. Two of them happen to be Sith Lords. Taking this into account, I can safely say that Obi-Wan was in the top three Jedi duelists of the time, unles Anakin is considered. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he was in the top ten Jedi duelists of all time. His superiors would include:

Luke Skywalker
Master Yoda
Mace Windu
Nomi Sunrider
Cay Qel-Droma
Vodo-Siosk Bass
Vandar (?)

And actually, that's all I can think of. I doubt that Kavar or Vrook could take him, despite the time period they lived in. And Vandar I'm not sure about, either. Keep in mind however, that this includes pure Jedi only, not Anakin and Ulic-type converts.

Point is, I don't see how Obi-Wan's saber skills can be denied or in any way lessened. Tactical thinking will only take you so far.

Lastly, Fishy, how could Obi-Wan have floored Maul the way he did through tactical ability? You saw the fight. He matched him blow for blow, forced him back, and completely floored him. That was dueling skill right there, not simply being a 'good fighter'.

Fishy
No, i'm not saying he is weak with a lightsaber... I'm just saying that perhaps he isn't as good with a lightsaber as Luminara. Pure lightsaber fighting he might be beaten, of course a fight is never like that so he wouldn't lose. Don't get me wrong I don't think she can beat Obi Wan. And I do think Obi Wan is a better fighter, but I don't know if he controls Form III beter then she does. Thats all I'm saying.

And actually I would rate Obi Wan high, but that high? Come on seriously...

Darth Faunus
Well, who would you put above him? Can you name a Jedi not on that list who would defeat him in a duel?

Don't get me wrong, Luminara was incredible. But I just don't think she can match his aptitude for the weapon. From a young age, Obi-Wan has proven himself more than capable time and time again. Hell, he held off a Dark Jedi, Xanatos, when he and Jinn were seperated. Unduli may have agility, flexibility, and certain physical attributes on her side that would give her an advantage, but I just can't see her surpassing Obi-Wan.

Deus Ex
I can.

Darth Faunus
Why? I really don't get it. She's good. But not that good.

Fishy
Jedi that could defeat Obi Wan?

Hmm...

Vandar, Kavar, Vrook, Zez Kai-Eil and every other Jedi Master from every other time that had a high position and actual experience against Dark Jedi and Sith.. Ohh Obi Wan is good for his time, but you have to admit he just doesn't match the greats.

Deus Ex

ReverendMakashi
Back on topic...Yarael was a master of mind tricks. Assaj isn't a weak minded foll. Yarael was rumored to be a dangerous opponet with a lightsaber. Assaj nearly killed "the chosen one" Skywalker. The only way Skywalker defeated her was by feeding his rage. That says alot for Assaj. Yarael was a decent Jedi but he in my opinion was a master of the force, not the lightsaber. Assaj wins.

Darth_Glentract
Originally posted by Darth Faunus
Well, tactical thinking and mental aptitude aren't going to win fights on their own. It takes skill and ability to do what he did. Now, there are maybe four or five people in his time who could outduel him, and we know who they are. Two of them happen to be Sith Lords. Taking this into account, I can safely say that Obi-Wan was in the top three Jedi duelists of the time, unles Anakin is considered. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he was in the top ten Jedi duelists of all time. His superiors would include:

Luke Skywalker
Master Yoda
Mace Windu
Nomi Sunrider
Cay Qel-Droma
Vodo-Siosk Bass
Vandar (?)

And actually, that's all I can think of. I doubt that Kavar or Vrook could take him, despite the time period they lived in. And Vandar I'm not sure about, either. Keep in mind however, that this includes pure Jedi only, not Anakin and Ulic-type converts.

Point is, I don't see how Obi-Wan's saber skills can be denied or in any way lessened. Tactical thinking will only take you so far.

Lastly, Fishy, how could Obi-Wan have floored Maul the way he did through tactical ability? You saw the fight. He matched him blow for blow, forced him back, and completely floored him. That was dueling skill right there, not simply being a 'good fighter'.

I'd say the following could all beat him:

Luke
Marka
Nadd
Exar
Ulic
Naga
Ludo
Tulak(we know he is powerful)
Ajunta(see above)
Sidious
Dooku
Vodo
Yoda
Mace
Vandar maybe
Simus
Lord Hoth
Shimera(maybe)
Darth Bane
Lord Kaan
Nihius(of course)
Cay
Cray(I think he is different than Cay)
Nomi

and probably some others

edit: didnt see only Jedi. Still, there are some Jedi more in my list.

darthsith19
Originally posted by Fishy
Hmm Cin was stronger then most council members he wasn't a council member. Dooku wasn't a council member in TPM and he was far more powerful then most people in the council. Stronger in the force and with a lightsaber and wiser too if you ask me. There is a reason why people are let into the council and its not always strength in any way or form.
Cin,s one, Dooku's another, Quinlin Vos is another. I'm not saying the Council Members are the 12 strongest Jedi, merely stating they are powerful. Most of them, anyway, the exceptions being Coleman trebor and Saesee Tiin.

Darth_Glentract
Saesee is pretty good, I think. Didn't het take like 20 of GG guards to protect Palpatine or was that Shaak Ti?

Deus Ex
Shaak Ti, I think. But Saesee did outrank Yaddle and Poof and several others before TPM.

Darth Faunus
Janus, I never said that she didn't have a prayer. I'd give her the chance of victory against Obi-Wan. In, as you said, what would be the longest duel in history. However, I simply view him as the superior combatant. Obviously not by any considerable margin however, as I made clear in past posts. If I say she could defeat Asajj Ventress, then I hold her in very high regard. Again, she is likely in the top ten duelists of her time, after 'Le Six', and maybe Cin Drallig.

And, yes, that was Ti. Although that was an idiotic occurrence to say the least. Not impossible, but it would hurl her up in the ranks to a level that shouldn't be hers.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.