Do The rest of the world find the British humour funny ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

yahman
I 've heard that a Brit has been stirring up a bit of controversy round here, but is that because of the uniqueness of the British humour. Who finds us Brits funny and who doesn't ? If not why. No racism or prejudice involved . smile

Bardock42
I do actually.....I am not that knowledgable on your TV Shows, but I find Black Adder, Coupling, Mr. Bean, League of Gentleman, Smack the Pony, Trigger Happy TV and of course Monty Python rather great to be honest....

yahman
Originally posted by Bardock42
I do actually.....I am not that knowledgable on your TV Shows, but I find Black Adder, Coupling, Mr. Bean, League of Gentleman, Smack the Pony, Trigger Happy TV and of course Monty Python rather great to be honest....

German ? I met a few Germans over the summer, and all felt comfortable with our humour. Really nice people as well. I've heard that German people are more like the British than any other country in Europe ? smile

Deano
ali g
the office
alan partridge
men behaving badly
peter kay
monty python
league of gentleman
only fools and horses
Deano
mr bean
absolutely fabulous
the royal family

the list of comedy genius is endless

Bardock42
Well i would agree to that...I love Britain very much...especially your country and your humour......I guess we are similar Tribe Wise too.....

yahman
Originally posted by Deano
ali g
the office
alan partridge
men behaving badly
peter kay
monty python
league of gentleman
only fools and horses
Deano
mr bean
absolutely fabulous
the royal family

the list is endless

Where are you from mate ?

Grand Moff Gav
Well lets look at the other candidates Switserland,no,France,God No,any scandanavian country, no so yup had to be the Germans.

Deano
Originally posted by yahman

guess

Grand Moff Gav
Well i would agree to that...I love Britain very much...especially your country and your humour......I guess we are similar Tribe Wise too.....

sorry but is their a Bardock47 or is it just Bardock and Bardock42

Grand Moff Gav

sig and flag dont give it a way?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Grand Moff Gav
sorry but is their a Bardock47 or is it just Bardock and Bardock42

No...ther is only a bardock, a Bardock42 and there was a sock of me once 42Bardock....when you started your thread you misspelled my name....

yahman

You almost drink as much as us as well. sad

beer

yahman
guess

Sarcasm .... has got 2 be English smile

Englands a big place mate wink

Red Superfly
Red Dwarf
The Office
Alan Partridge
Monty Python
Ali G
Mr Bean
Peep Show
Spaced
Only Fools And Horses

Comedians like Peter Kay, Al Murray, Ricky Gervais, Jimmy Carr etc....

Awesomeness right there.

America has it's moments too. Family Guy, Wonder Showzen and South Park I would gladly add to this list.

yahman
Originally posted by Red Superfly
Red Dwarf
The Office
Alan Partridge
Monty Python
Ali G
Mr Bean
Peep Show
Spaced
Only Fools And Horses

Comedians like Peter Kay, Al Murray, Ricky Gervais, Jimmy Carr etc....

Awesomeness right there.

America has it's moments too. Family Guy, Wonder Showzen and South Park I would gladly add to this list.

Weird how most of those shows are cartoons smile

Grand Moff Gav
No...ther is only a bardock, a Bardock42 and there was a sock of me once 42Bardock....when you started your thread you misspelled my name....

Yeah i did,I thought you where "hitch hiking the galaxy"

Grand Moff Gav
Red Superfly's sig is a great bit of british humor.

Bardock42
Holy shit how could I forgive that....The Hitchhikers Guide.....one of the greatest pieces of British Humour.....by the way is the rocky Horror Picture show british...because it feels so british....

Oh and indeed American Huimour has great shows too (although you might categorize it as JHewish Humour): Family Guy, Scrubs, South park, Futurama, Simpsons, American Dad, Ally McBeal embarrasment ....Boston Public.....

leana marie
i love red dwarf!!! i used to hate it but i love it now!!

Grand Moff Gav
A good bit of German humor......Originally posted by Bardock42
You know...when you see the light at the end of the tunnel.....that must be Raz' mouth.........that's way to far then......

KidRock
Ali g is semi-funny the rest suck.

/end thread.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Grand Moff Gav
A good bit of German humor......
ha yes....you deserved it though.....

Grand Moff Gav
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Red Superfly
Originally posted by KidRock
Ali g is semi-funny the rest suck.

/end thread.

Your Kid Rock sig is comedy gold.

*points and laughs at shit sense of humour*

BackFire
British humor is just like any other type of humor. It can be extremely good, or it can be extremely shitty, depending on the skill and talent of the people involved.

Red Superfly
Yeah but nobody counts the shit stuff.

Pretty much all the stuff mentioned is universally accepted as great.

Only ignorant redneck humourless Kid Rock fans would deny the importance of the likes of Monty Python in shaping comedy across the world.

Monty Python is to comedy just like how Star Wars is to the movie industry - without it the industry would be totally different.

Lana
Monty Python is, IMO, the best thing ever made. I grew up watching it (thanks to the fact that my grandmother was from England and as a result my mom and aunts grew up watching Monty Python).

Capt_Fantastic

Eric Idol Quote:

"And the Germans came to us and said 'look, we don't have a sense of humor, but we understand you do. Would you please come and do a show for us?' "

Monty Python is great! Are you being served? is a classic!

I love British humor. It's some of the greatest humor, ever! It tends to be highly intellectual, while being utterly crass at the same time. It's like high brow potty humor.

The Office is good, but the American version sucks.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
"And the Germans came to us and said 'look, we don't have a sense of humor, but we understand you do. Would you please come and do a show for us?' "

We know how to make cars though no expression

Well not me but still.....

Red Superfly
Germans are hilarious!

"Ja, we like the David Hasselhoff! Vearring suit jackets vith denim jeans is fun, ja? No? Vat about shellsuits? They is gut, ja?"

You Germans and your drugs..........

Grand Moff Gav
Germans are hilarious!

"Ja, we like the David Hasselhoff! Vearring suit jackets vith denim jeans is fun, ja? No? Vat about shellsuits? They is gut, ja?"

thats more sweedish

Lana
Monty Python is great! Are you being served? is a classic!

I love British humor. It's some of the greatest humor, ever! It tends to be highly intellectual, while being utterly crass at the same time. It's like high brow potty humor.

The Office is good, but the American version sucks.

Totally agree big grin

Ever see Eddie Izzard? OMG, he's a riot. My best friend and I were watching him on TV at like 3 am a few years ago....

"Sir, it's the rebels. They're here."
"Do they want tea?"

laughing out loud

Grand Moff Gav
Germans are hilarious!

to be German it would be..............

"Ja,ve ein master race love ze David Hasselhoff! In hez likklesuit und Jackets vith her demin jeans,es ist fun Ja! Ja Ja,Zvat aboot za Shellunsuits? Der ist gut ja ja ja!!!!!!!!!!!Das is gut.

Bardock42
Germans are hilarious!

HEy....i'S not our fault that we like your 1980's ammerican music that just arrived here yesterday...

Red Superfly
Eddie Izzard is awesome.

And I like Germany, I went there on a school trip once to Boppard. Really nice place to visit.

Capt_Fantastic
We know how to make cars though no expression

Well not me but still.....

I think he as joking, well...apparently.

That's from teh Live in Aspen reunion that marked thier 29th anniversary. Apparently, when they went to Germany to do their show, the Germans took them right to auschwitz, but they were closed. And Graham Chapman (who sadly died of cancer) yelled out the window: "Tell them we're Jewish!"

And they let them in!

True story.

The odd part, was that the Germans never explained why they took them there, right off the plane.

Bardock42
I think he as joking, well...apparently.

That's from teh Live in Aspen reunion that marked thier 29th anniversary. Apparently, when they went to Germany to do their show, the Germans took them right to auschwitz, but they were closed. And Graham Chapman (who sadly died of cancer) yelled out the window: "Tell them we're Jewish!"

And they let them in!

True story.

The odd part, was that the Germans never explained why they took them there, right off the plane.

Funny........yes.....we are great hosts....

KidRock
British Humor at its finest:

British Comedian: So I called up the golf club and confirmed my Tee time, they said just a second..IT IS TEA TIME!

British Audience: hhahaha hee hehehe har har

Worst. Comedy. Country. Ever.

Bardock42

British Comedian: So I called up the golf club and confirmed my Tee time, they said just a second..IT IS TEA TIME!

Ah yes.......you are just not funny....

Red Superfly

Stop watching Willl and Grace then, that's not British.

Seeing as they don't sell any sense of humour down at any shop I can think of, the best thing would be for you to, maybe, try killing yourself. You're a little bit dead inside.

KidRock

Dont know what Will and Grace is.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Lana
Totally agree big grin

Ever see Eddie Izzard? OMG, he's a riot. My best friend and I were watching him on TV at like 3 am a few years ago....

"Sir, it's the rebels. They're here."
"Do they want tea?"

laughing out loud

Lt. Sebastian: I don't know sir, but they've brought a flag.

Yes, huge fan of Eddie Izzard. Lots of his performances on DVD, and all.

Bardock42

Seeing as they don't sell any sense of humour down at any shop I can think of, the best thing would be for you to, maybe, try killing yourself. You're a little bit dead inside.

Dude...he's a Redneck..they don't watch either gays nor females.....

KidRock
Dude...he's a Redneck..they don't watch either gays nor females.....

Not all Brits are gays and females, that is a bad generalization. I expect more from you bardo.

Capt_Fantastic
Dude...he's a Redneck..they don't watch females.....

Wouldn't that make them gay?

Red Superfly
Not all Brits are gays and females, that is a bad generalization. I expect more from you bardo.

He said nothing about Brits being gay......

In order for one to understand humour, one must learn to read erm

Bardock42
Wouldn't that make them gay?

well let'S include in my sentence "except they are naked..." in my sentence ....sounds aboot right...Originally posted by KidRock
Not all Brits are gays and females, that is a bad generalization. I expect more from you bardo. No, I am talking general...you don't watch brits cause you are too patriotic ......or at least you might think that....

KidRock
No, I am talking general...you don't watch brits cause you are too patriotic ......or at least you might think that....

Not true, I dont watch them becuase all of the ones I haved watched have been boring and unfunny.

Red Superfly
Wrestling, Monster Trucks and Nascar don't tend to be strong comedy breeding grounds either, so I guess I can understand why there's a lack of sense of humour.

Bardock42
Not true, I dont watch them becuase all of the ones I haved watched have been boring and unfunny.
ie doesn*Okay...well that's your opinion, you are entitled to it...I mean Clovie doesn't like British humour either.....

Red Superfly

What do you find funny then?

KidRock
ie doesn*Okay...well that's your opinion, you are entitled to it...I mean Clovie doesn't like British humour either.....

Yeah, it is my opinion. So why do you feel the need to attack me for my opinion? Real mature. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Wrestling, Monster Trucks and Nascar don't tend to be strong comedy breeding grounds either, so I guess I can understand why there's a lack of sense of humour.

I wouldnt know. Never been to a monster truck or nascar race, nor have I ever watched one. Sorry.

Bardock42
Yeah, it is my opinion. So why do you feel the need to attack me for my opinion? Real mature. roll eyes (sarcastic)

I wouldnt know. Never been to a monster truck or nascar race, nor have I ever watched one. Sorry.

What now...I agreed that it was your opinion.........so I don't attack you anymore.....that before was for my own amusment....

KidRock
What now...I agreed that it was your opinion.........so I don't attack you anymore.....that before was for my own amusment....

You get amusement off attacking other people? Oh yeah I forgot your German, sieg heil right?

Bardock42
You get amusement off attacking other people? Oh yeah I forgot your German, sieg heil right?
Indeed I am rather sadistic...one of my few good character characteristics.....

KidRock

I can tell.

Mindship
"Coconuts? Where'd you get those coconuts?"
Definitely one of the funniest bits I have ever had the pleasure to try to memorize but failed miserably due to my own shortcomings and declining neural functioning.

Bardock42
I can tell.
well...but at least I am not Liberal in the way to describe Democrates, right?

Whirlysplatt

smile Genetics perhaps jk

Whirlysplatt

Bardock42
Originally posted by Whirlysplatt
smile Genetics perhaps jk

Possible......still...i rock....

Whirlysplatt
Possible......still...i rock....

smile sometimes

but not as much as David Hasslehoff

Bardock42
smile sometimes

but not as much as David Hasslehoff

well.....err....sure....What the f**k?

Whirlysplatt
his Mullett was great

Trickster
Lt. Sebastian: I don't know sir, but they've brought a flag.

Yes, huge fan of Eddie Izzard. Lots of his performances on DVD, and all.

Eddie Izzard is brilliant...

The Cunning Use of Flags sequence is amazing, as is the Darth Vader scene...

"This is not a game of 'who the **** are you?'"

Red Superfly
Liking the avatar there Trickster wink

Trickster
Thanks... Like your title...

Deano
kid rocks idiocy has been the highlight of the thread

Victor Von Doom
When we say British comedy, do we mean a particular comedy style, regardless of its immediate origin, or do we mean comedy that originates in Britain, regardless of its style?

To me the term 'British comedy' is slightly pejorative, although the country has a lot of really funny comedians and a fair few shows.

Then there is general humour amongst a people of a country.

What do we mean?

KidRock

Back to your cage..err.. the conspiracy thread Deano.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
When we say British comedy, do we mean a particular comedy style, regardless of its immediate origin, or do we mean comedy that originates in Britain, regardless of its style?

To me the term 'British comedy' is slightly pejorative, although the country has a lot of really funny comedians and a fair few shows.

Then there is general humour amongst a people of a country.

What do we mean?

I think we mean this typical British Humour...of course not everything from Britain would actually considered that branch of humour.....but there is a certain comedy style one connects with British Humour (probably very much shaped by Monty Python) , is there not....

Whirlysplatt

laughing That was funny laughing

Whirlysplatt

that was funny as well laughing out loud equal ops abuse and humour superb laughing out loud

KidRock
that was funny as well laughing out loud equal ops abuse and humour superb laughing out loud

Lol that is funny, unlike British humor.

Whirlysplatt

You would like Bernhard Manning and Roy Chubby Brown trust me on this.

Victor Von Doom
I think we mean this typical British Humour...of course not everything from Britain would actually considered that branch of humour.....but there is a certain comedy style one connects with British Humour (probably very much shaped by Monty Python) , is there not....

Yeah, there is. I don't think it's actually that funny, at least not anymore.

It's evolved about 5 times since then.

I have to say, for all the cynicism towards Americans and their supposed lack of irony, their comedy has been destroying British comedy for the last ten or so years.

Our current crop is Alan Partridge, The Office, to an extent The League of Gentlemen. The rest is more or less shit.

Oh, and anything involving Chris Morris (Brass Eye, The Day Today, etc).

This is all TV based, but we don't come off that much better in terms of actual comedians either.

yahman

I disagree

Imaginary
I 've heard that a Brit has been stirring up a bit of controversy round here, but is that because of the uniqueness of the British humour. Who finds us Brits funny and who doesn't ? If not why. No racism or prejudice involved . smile

Yep, we Aussies love your comedy laughing out loud

Bardock42

I have to say, for all the cynicism towards Americans and their supposed lack of irony, their comedy has been destroying British comedy for the last ten or so years.

Our current crop is Alan Partridge, The Office, to an extent The League of Gentlemen. The rest is more or less shit.

This is all TV based, but we don't come off that much better in terms of actual comedians either.

Well we are talkign of this actual Branch of Coedy as it was though...I don't keep up with it..nor do i receive many British Stations so I would't know...but I think you can still watch the old Shows and it is in the Top of all humour...

Whirlysplatt

Chris Morris is god - nuff said the brass eye "pedo special" with "trust me trousers" and celebrities being conned in joining "Noncesense" laughing out loud, Steve Coogan has produced both Paul Calf and Alan Partridge is funny - have you seen 24 hour party people I used to go to the Hacienda at University - a little before it went really crazy thoough. Genius.

Deano

it is spelt humour.learn to speak the english language please before posting in here

can you enlighten me unto what comedys you do like?

Whirlysplatt
it is spelt humour.learn to speak the english language please before posting in here

can you enlighten me unto what comedys you do like?

I think he would like Bernhard Manning

Deano
he woudnt admit it though. he lives in denial.

Whirlysplatt
he woudnt admit it though. he lives in denial.

I think he would like Roy Chubby Brown and Jethro also smile

Victor Von Doom
Chris Morris is god - nuff said the brass eye "pedo special" with "trust me trousers" and celebrities being conned in joining "Noncesense" laughing out loud, Steve Coogan has produced both Paul Calf and Alan Partridge is funny - have you seen 24 hour party people I used to go to the Hacienda at University - a little before it went really crazy thoough. Genius.

No I haven't seen that- have heard it wasn't great.

Am a big fan of his Alan Partridge stuff, but haven't liked his other things (that I've seen) as much.

Brass Eye was excellent. We have a few people capable of producing top quality stuff, but it happens all too rarely now.

Deano
he would like chubby brown definelty cos he is vulgar and crude.he woudnt like jethro.

other mentions

lee evans
peter kay
ricky gervais

kidrock says he doesnt like brit humour but he probably hasnt seen half the brit comedy thats out there. all of it much better than american comedy.

Deano

dont mention cages. you dont want your past memorys flooding back to haunt you

Whirlysplatt
No I haven't seen that- have heard it wasn't great.

Am a big fan of his Alan Partridge stuff, but haven't liked his other things (that I've seen) as much.

Brass Eye was excellent. We have a few people capable of producing top quality stuff, but it happens all too rarely now.

Sure does I guess because of my age and the fact the manchester scene produced my fave music I loved 24 hr, I also think being a student in the North (midlands) at the time the Hacienda was at it height and visiting it with the "Club Society" helped.

Did you watch that cartoon Monkey dust on BBC2 earlier this year, it was a series of very controversial stuff - outrageous on very late though.

Victor Von Doom

Did you watch that cartoon Monkey dust on BBC2 earlier this year, it was a series of very controversial stuff - outrageous on very late though.

No, I remember hearing about it though. Any good?

Whirlysplatt
No, I remember hearing about it though. Any good?

in bits it was perhaps the most outrageous show ever on british TV, I doubt it will be shown again sad I believe it was pulled 1 episode early, it was crazy smile

Bardock42
Does anyone else here share my love for the great Black Adder show?

Whirlysplatt
Does anyone else here share my love for the great Black Adder show?

yes I do especially (and lets not start again) The last series Black Adder goes forth. Genius.

Victor Von Doom
in bits it was perhaps the most outrageous show ever on british TV, I doubt it will be shown again sad I believe it was pulled 1 episode early, it was crazy smile

Apparently it's still on- just Googled it.

Bardock42
yes I do especially (and lets not start again) The last series Black Adder goes forth. Genius.

Yes...it'S an awesome show, although i think my favorite has to be the Third series....I really need to watch them again...its such a long time ago...oh and I especially need to watch it in English now......

Whirlysplatt
Apparently it's still on- just Googled it.

really cool I will have to look for it again - the cottaging guy is hilarious

Lana

If there was any way for me to get my hands on episodes of either of those shows in the US, I would in a second. Trust me, I've been looking. I've seen a few episodes of them and loved them....reminded me very much of the Onion, a satire newspaper here that I love.

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by Lana
If there was any way for me to get my hands on episodes of either of those shows in the US, I would in a second. Trust me, I've been looking. I've seen a few episodes of them and loved them....reminded me very much of the Onion, a satire newspaper here that I love.

try bit torrent maybe

Lana
try bit torrent maybe

Been checking for a while with no luck -- on the rare occassion that I DO find something, there's no sources for it erm

I did find episodes of The Young Ones once, but my harddrive was full miffed

Bardock42
try bit torrent maybe
Not say that you should.....illegal it is........

But some of the ...older programmes still ahve decent range of shows

Whirlysplatt
Not say that you should.....illegal it is........

But some of the ...older programmes still ahve decent range of shows
me neither shifty

KidRock
he would like chubby brown definelty cos he is vulgar and crude.he woudnt like jethro.

other mentions

lee evans
peter kay
ricky gervais

kidrock says he doesnt like brit humour but he probably hasnt seen half the brit comedy thats out there. all of it much better than american comedy.

I'v listened to them, they all suck. Sorry to say but your countries comedy isnt as good as its food..wait..no i should say it isnt as good as your ladies..no..that wont work either. Hmm...I will get back to you.

Alpha Centauri
How many times have you been to England, KidRock?

-AC

Victor Von Doom
I'v listened to them, they all suck. Sorry to say but your countries comedy isnt as good as its food..wait..no i should say it isnt as good as your ladies..no..that wont work either. Hmm...I will get back to you.

What would be interesting, is to hear what you feel is the best of American comedy.

KidRock
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
How many times have you been to England, KidRock?

-AC

Twice.

Alpha Centauri
Twice.

Wow, did you go everywhere? (You didn't)

Wonder how you'd feel if I went to America twice and said it was all fat people who eat burgers and do nothing good. You'd hate it because it's a stupid generalisation, untrue to boot.

Anyway, what is the best of American comedy? To reiterate.

-AC

KidRock
Wow, did you go everywhere? (You didn't)

Wonder how you'd feel if I went to America twice and said it was all fat people who eat burgers and do nothing good. You'd hate it because it's a stupid generalisation, untrue to boot.

Anyway, what is the best of American comedy? To reiterate.

-AC

I'v seen standup videos of it online and heard it on websites before. It sucks.

edit: and yes I did go everyware cool

Alpha Centauri
I'v seen standup videos of it online and heard it on websites before. It sucks.

edit: and yes I did go everyware cool

Everyware? What's that, a hardware store with every kind of ware in it? Haha, just kidding.

So, the question I asked. Go for it.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Al Centauri
Everyware? What's that, a hardware store with every kind of ware in it? Haha, just kidding.

You mean the question I asked, you insufferable paintcan hurler.

Alpha Centauri

I too, asked it. No need to start calling me a paintcan hurler, you fall mug.

-AC

Whirlysplatt

laughing out loud

Bardock42
I too, asked it. No need to start calling me a paintcan hurler, you fall mug.

-AC

haha..now he changed your name to Al Centauri....you two are hell of entertaining.....you know like the Oasis Boys....except you don't make rather crappy music that still gets compared with the beatles....or do you What the f**k?

Alpha Centauri
Ignore that thing again, he'll continue to raise it whether I ask him to or not. Try not to raise it either.

I'd rather not be compared to Oasis though.

-AC

Bardock42
Ignore that thing again, he'll continue to raise it whether I ask him to or not. Try not to raise it either.

I'd rather not be compared to Oasis though.

-AC

I figured you wouldn't.......but well it came to mind and sadly I don't have a brain to filter what I am typing.......(someone on this board said that....ti was funny....hmm I guess I am tired)

KidRock

-AC

Yeah, I was at a comedy show in london that sucked so much I had to leave and go get piss drunk at Eddie Everywares pub to try and forget about the awful comedy. cool

What was the question again?

Victor Von Doom
The question was, what do you feel is the best of American comedy?

Bardock42
Yeah, I was at a comedy show in london that sucked so much I had to leave and go get piss drunk at Eddie Everywares pub to try and forget about the awful comedy. cool

What was the question again?
What Comedies do you like....be it American or whatever...?

KidRock
What Comedies do you like....be it American or whatever...?

All different types of comedies. Ill give the British one thing, I do enjoy trigger happy tv. That is it though.

Alpha Centauri
Yes, but the question was: What is the best American comedy/comedian to you?

Second, you'll "give us" one thing? As if the entire British nation needs a KidRock fan's affirmation on comedy.

-AC

KidRock
Yes, but the question was: What is the best American comedy/comedian to you?

Second, you'll "give us" one thing? As if the entire British nation needs a KidRock fan's affirmation on comedy.

-AC

I am not a kidrock fan anymore. As you can tell I made this name over 2 years ago. Times change, but bad British comedy doesn't. Yes, you should be glad I gave your country something, they are even lucky I critiqued something about it. You should be honored I even bothered.

Alpha Centauri
I am not a kidrock fan anymore. As you can tell I made this name over 2 years ago. Times change, but bad British comedy doesn't. Yes, you should be glad I gave your country something, they are even lucky I critiqued something about it. You should be honored I even bothered.

Yes, but the question was: What or who is the best American comedy/comedian to you?

In your own time. Though failure to answer will result in the invalidating of your comedic opinion, you realise?

-AC

KidRock
Yes, but the question was: What or who is the best American comedy/comedian to you?

-AC

I don't have a favorite.

Alpha Centauri
I don't have a favorite.

Which implies you like many, seeing as you've said no comedy Britain produces can compare to American.

So name some of these American comedians or comedy shows the likes of which Britain could never compete with. Or ones you think are great comedy/comedians.

-AC

KidRock
Which implies you like many, seeing as you've said no comedy Britain produces can compare to American.

So name some of these American comedians or comedy shows the likes of which Britain could never compete with. Or ones you think are great comedy/comedians.

-AC

Off the top of my head without thinking back at what good comedies I have watched Dane Cook is a pretty good comic, though a little overated still funny none the less.

Alpha Centauri
Off the top of my head without thinking back at what good comedies I have watched Dane Cook is a pretty good comic, though a little overated still funny none the less.

Dane Cook? The 6th grader trapped in a Beverly Hills bodybuilder's body? He's funny if you still laugh at things like the word "dick" and other childish sexual innuendos. He's the American Pie of comedians.

So I'm waiting to see who is supposedly better than all these British comedy acts and shows. Say some more names.

-AC

KidRock
Dane Cook? The 6th grader trapped in a Beverly Hills bodybuilder's body? He's funny if you still laugh at things like the word "dick" and other childish sexual innuendos. He's the American Pie of comedians.

So I'm waiting to see who is supposedly better than all these British comedy acts and shows. Say some more names.

-AC

Oh AC you make-a-me laugh. You're to predictable. I know whatever one I say you are just going to make up some 4th grade insult to throw at him, hence I just gave you the comic I hate the most. So all I will say is every American comic I have heard beats any British comedy I have heard any day of the week..and twice on tuesdays.

Wolf Dog
Conan. O. Brien.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Wolf Dog
Conan. O. Brien.

Funny man but better than every British comedy act ever, he is not.

Oh AC you make-a-me laugh. You're to predictable. I know whatever one I say you are just going to make up some 4th grade insult to throw at him, hence I just gave you the comic I hate the most. So all I will say is every American comic I have heard beats any British comedy I have heard any day of the week..and twice on tuesdays.

For your information, my favourite comedian ever is American. He's dead, but I'm curious as to who these mass numbers of comedians are that are better than all British comedy. If you name a good one, I'll say so. You named Dane Cook, a man who - if I didn't know his age- would be mistaken for a horny 16 year old.

Surely if there's so many better American comedians you can name them? Come on, no need to suggest I'm insulting you. We're discussing. So discuss. If you don't have any and you're just being a patriot, fine. Don't say it if you can't name any.

-AC

Lana
Well, Dane Cook DOES suck.

Personally I like Dave Chappelle, when it comes to American comedians.

KidRock
Funny man but better than every British comedy act ever, he is not.

For your information, my favourite comedian ever is American. He's dead, but I'm curious as to who these mass numbers of comedians are that are better than all British comedy. If you name a good one, I'll say so. You named Dane Cook, a man who - if I didn't know his age- would be mistaken for a horny 16 year old.

Surely if there's so many better American comedians you can name them? Come on, no need to suggest I'm insulting you. We're discussing. So discuss. If you don't have any and you're just being a patriot, fine. Don't say it if you can't name any.

-AC

It will take too long to type out 400 names. I like some of the black comedians when they make racist jokes like Chris Rock and Murphy, also Headburg had some good shows as well.

Alpha Centauri
I'm not saying there are no great American comedians.

I'm just asking Kid Rock to name this myriad of comedians who surpass anything ever produced by Britain.

It will take too long to type out 400 names.

So type 20. Type 10. Hell, type 5 if you want. I'm asking you to name some, not all.

Name some that are better than every British comedy act ever. You've named Dane Cook, funny joke, but be serious this time.

EDIT: Chris Rock is great, Mitch Hedburg was quite decent. But I'm waiting for names as to comedians who are better than every British comedy act, ever. Like you claimed.

-AC

KidRock

EDIT: Chris Rock is great, Mitch Hedburg was quite decent. But I'm waiting for names as to comedians who are better than every British comedy act, ever. Like you claimed.

-AC

Well all 4 of the ones I have named are better then any British comedy, slightly but they are better. If I were to name the better ones it would just make British comedy look like barney, or something. And I don't want to do that. I'm done with this thread for the night. cool

Alpha Centauri
Well all 4 of the ones I have named are better then any British comedy, slightly but they are better. If I were to name the better ones it would just make British comedy look like barney, or something. And I don't want to do that. I'm done with this thread for the night. cool

Why are they? What about their comedic technique puts them above all the great, intelligent british comedians? If you PREFER them, that's fine by me. But to claim they are actually better comedians than every comedian to come out of Britain ever is dumb.

You said you like those when they make racist jokes. It doesn't take a comedic genius to make a racist joke. It just takes a dullard to think it's funny. Eg: A horrid British comedian named Bernard Manning. People who are impressed by racism think he's funny when he's really just a fat, obnoxious moron.

I think you're confusing preferring certain comedy over other types, with them being actually better.

-AC

Deano

dont lie to me. it makes you look silly

GuitarBunny
Bill Bailey is pretty hilarious but honestly i do find american humor to be more funny...not to be cocky or anything confused

Alpha Centauri
That's fine, I said before that my favourite comedian is American. Brits are more likely to "get" American humour than Americans are to getting British humour, though. When American comedians normally make fun of someone, they just blurt it out or what not. British comedians are generally smarter.

I'm curious as to why KidRock won't name all these people (allegedly 400, he's named 4-5) that he claims are factually better than any British comedy act ever. If he prefers them more, fine. He's claiming they are actually better though. He's named comedians who aren't, claimed they are and now we're supposedly gonna see him name more people and prove why they're better, factually.

-AC

D-Double
Benny Hill kills me... laughing

... and Monty Python is genius. wink

Alpha Centauri
I like Monty Python now and then and I respect its status but I can't help thinking that it has become The Beatles of British comedy.

While good, there are much better comedy shows, Monty Python just gets way too much credit.

-AC

Hit_and_Miss
Do americans understand most english comedians??? or are you saying you don't like them cause you don't get there jokes?

These quite a few American comics I've seen that joke about stuff you have to be american to know about... so I just don't find them funny...

GuitarBunny
That's fine, I said before that my favourite comedian is American. Brits are more likely to "get" American humour than Americans are to getting British humour, though. When American comedians normally make fun of someone, they just blurt it out or what not. British comedians are generally smarter.

I'm curious as to why KidRock won't name all these people (allegedly 400, he's named 4-5) that he claims are factually better than any British comedy act ever. If he prefers them more, fine. He's claiming they are actually better though. He's named comedians who aren't, claimed they are and now we're supposedly gonna see him name more people and prove why they're better, factually.

-AC I have a feeling KidRock is just a lil too into this country of his. I doubt we even have 400 comedians.
Maybe you should check out Stephen Lynch, Dane Cook, Pablo Fransico and Carlos Mencia. Those are my favorites. smile

By the way, Mr.Bean still makes me laugh. laughing

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Hit_and_Miss
Do americans understand most english comedians??? or are you saying you don't like them cause you don't get there jokes?

These quite a few American comics I've seen that joke about stuff you have to be american to know about... so I just don't find them funny...

What are you talking about with the first part? Not sure what you're implying. If you are suggesting I don't like American comedians because I don't get their jokes, you'd be wrong. Because a lot of my favourite comedians are American. I'm just curious as to who KidRock believes is better than all British comedians and comedy acts of all time without exception.

Anyone can joke about shit within their own country and have it unknown to outsiders as it were, but The Office, for example...isn't understood by a lot of people here. Nor is Brass Eye or The Day Today. You have to be of certain mind and intelligence to get it. I'm not saying there have been no American comedians who make smart comedy, I think the best comedian ever is American (although Kid Rock doesn't like him I'm willing to bet). I'm saying that if you lined up comic geniuses from both countries, a bulk of the American ones would be found to be funnier because they're easier. The smarter people from both areas would find the smarter comedians, funnier. Which are, by comparison, British. I've never seen American comedians besides Bill Hicks, Doug Stanhope and maybe a couple of others who are on par with the intelligence of the best British comedians.

The best we've come up with so far is Dane Cook, Chris Rock and Mitch Hedburg. Chris Rock is very, very funny. I agree he's an awesome comedian. Mitch Hedburg I can take or leave. Dane Cook, is not funny. Let me stress that point clearly. He is, as I said before, the American Pie/Not Another Teen Movie of comedians. He isn't saying anything different than a macho guy hanging out with his friends. You aren't hearing anything from him that you haven't heard before, which weirdly, is why people find him funny. Because everything he says, they go "Hahaha yeah that would be funny wouldn't it? Oh how embarassing."

-AC

Trickster
I think she was talking to KidRock, AC.

Personally, I think British comedy is much funnier than the comedy from other countries. That said, I would be willing to back it up with a number of my favourite comedians, and some of the quotes by them... It would show which were funnier easily.

Also, on the Monty Python issue, I think Fawlty Towers was better than quite a lot of their sketches.

D-Double
I like Monty Python now and then and I respect its status but I can't help thinking that it has become The Beatles of British comedy.

While good, there are much better comedy shows, Monty Python just gets way too much credit.

-AC

I think I like the katz in the show more than the show itself.

Originally posted by GuitarBunny

Maybe you should check out Dane Cook and Pablo Fransico.

By the way, Mr.Bean still makes me laugh. laughing

Those guys ROCK!! big grin

... and Mr. Bean is my hero. no expression

GuitarBunny
Originally posted by D-Double
I think I like the katz in the show more than the show itself.

Those guys ROCK!! big grin

... and Mr. Bean is my hero. no expression Pablo Fransico does the best imitations ever thought of. laughing Incredible i tell ya stick out tongue

Hit_and_Miss
ok I'll try to make myself clearer....

As a none American I don't know all your TV stars, So when people use there names in jokes. Ie calling someone a fatty... But I don't know the star I wouldn't get it.... And not knowing anything of the sports teams in america I don't get those jokes either!

Most English humour requires you to actually live in England a bit...

So do people not like English comedians cause they don't get the jokes... Or do they 100% understand the jokes, and just not find them funny.....

Otaku

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Hit_and_Miss
ok I'll try to make myself clearer....

As a none American I don't know all your TV stars, So when people use there names in jokes. Ie calling someone a fatty... But I don't know the star I wouldn't get it.... Most English humour requires you to actually live in England a bit...

So do people not like English comedians cause they don't get the jokes... Or do they 100% understand the jokes, and just not find them funny.....

Well I'm English too, so that solves a bit of confusion as to what I'm debating.

I think it's both really. Britain's best have that weird mix of being exclusively British and exclusively intelligent.

-AC

Hit_and_Miss
whos your fav american comic by the way?

Alpha Centauri
The Incredible Hulk.

(But seriously, Bill Hicks.)

-AC

Hit_and_Miss
Some of the much fabled english humour there AC... its no wonder they don't like english comics...smile

Alpha Centauri
(Because it's an American comic.)

-AC

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>