The Devil's Backbone aka "El Espinazo del diablo"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

novice
Who has seen this movie?
How do you rate it?

BaronOBeefDip
Nope. Haven't seen it. Could you give a little info on it?

novice
Actually the title should have read:
"El Espinazo del diablo" aka The Devil's Backbone
as this 2001 movie is a Spanish horror-thriller.

Briefly, it is about a haunted orphanage in 1939 Spain.
A new arrival becomes bold enough to discover the ghost's warnings of impending danger while the adults bicker over love, lust and hidden gold.

I like it. Firstly, intriguing plot (it's definitely not hollywood).
Second of all, there are supposedly socio-political innuendos in the movie.

novice
Note to girls and (gay) guys: ya need to check out the superhunk villain Jacinto :P (played by Eduardo Noriega) in this movie.

To Straight dudes: my apologies... what can i say, sex sells. mwa hahahah smokin'

MildPossession
Yeah saw it a few years ago, really really enjoyed it, it's from director Guillermo del Toro(Blade 2, Hellboy, Cronos).

I'd give it 8/10, atmosphere of the film is wonderful.

doomsday49
excellent movie!! highly recommend. 8/10 as well.

Cinemaddiction
Pretty good, kinda creepy, 7/10.

papabeard
I liked this film also, good aesthetic, 6/10

deathbycorn
Watched this last night for the first time and I think Cronos and Pan's Labyrinth are better films. And I like Mimic the most out of Del Toro's films.

ragesRemorse
Great story telling and visuals 9/10

MildPossession
deathbycorn - If you haven't, check out The Orphanage, he didn't direct it but Del Toro helped a lot with it. Amazing film.

deathbycorn
Seen it, didn't really like it. Devil's Backbone is better than The Orphanage.

MildPossession
Didn't like it?! what didn't you like about it. I thought it is one of the best horror films to come out in a longgggggggggg time. Classic.

deathbycorn
The pacing was my main problem. It felt a bit slow. But you know what, cause you rate it, I'm going to watch it again tonight!

Here is a post I made on another forum about it actually.

MildPossession
Ah slow pace, okay that's cool. I'm just someone who can sit through some of the most slowest films ever(Gerry for example, you would probably fall asleep lol), and The Orphanage pace was nothing for me, it was like The Others in pace too.

But it was built up brilliantly. I actually cried at the end too, very emotional film.

It was one film I watched where I didn't know the 'twist' either and didn't see the end coming, so that knocked me too.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.