Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
I am currently reading this since it came out as a a graphic novel and I think it's great so far. (I searched and there was nothing on here). What did/do you think of this?

xmarksthespot
The first one or the new one?

SnakeEyes
I didn't know there was a new one... So I guess the first one. wink

Feel free to talk about both. What is the new one about?

Pointinel
yeah the first one's cool, but kinda ended leaving the readers with too many questions

i wont spoil it for you! stick out tongue

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
I didn't know there was a new one... So I guess the first one. wink

Feel free to talk about both. What is the new one about? 1602: New World is a sequel to 1602. 1602 was pretty interesting, liked all the analogies.

SnakeEyes
Wait a tic! How come I never heard of this, 1602: The New World? I mean, I read every issue of Wizard and go to my local comic store weekly.

long pig
I have it, but I haven't read it. It's about Thor isn't it?

HigH ScholaR
1602 was decent very intresting different but the same very unique.

olympian
Yes Thor was in the first 1602. Pretty cool too, all viking like as he sould be and less of a beach boy.

pirate

Har i kid.

But its a good reason why id like Gaiman to take over Thor. Now it seems he is on to take over the " Eternals " and Millar on Thor.

long pig
I'm trying to read it since you made the thread....but...wtf is this shit?

Who is who and wtf is going on and why??? confused

Juntai
1602 was badass. I never woulda guessed who Cap was.

HigH ScholaR
Originally posted by Juntai
1602 was badass. I never woulda guessed who Cap was.

me too but i knew there was something going on PS the watcher had a very BIG head much bigger and alienlike then usual IMO.

1602 is an 8-issue Marvel comic miniseries written by Neil Gaiman and illustrated by Andy Kubert. Scott McKowen did the covers.

The concept behind it is that it is the year 1602 in the Marvel Universe and the superheroes have appeared four hundred years early. The main characters must solve the mystery behind their own existence, while dealing with intrigue at the courts of Elizabeth and James.

read with caution may contain spoiler warnings.
Characters

Historic characters
Elizabeth I of England, essentially unchanged from the real-world version. She is assassinated by Count Otto von Doom (see below), a year before she should have died.

James VI of Scotland and I of England, also largely unchanged. His firm belief in the divine right of kings and strong views on witchcraft (including the witchbreed) mean he is cast as something of a villain.

Virginia Dare, the daughter of Annaias Dare, and the first child born in the Americas. In this world, the Roanoke Colony did not disappear in the 1580s. Inspired by a legend that Virginia was killed in the shape of a white deer, Gaiman gives his version shapeshifting powers. She has no obvious counterpart in the Marvel Universe. Although many fans assumed that she was based on Snowbird of Alpha Flight, Gaiman denied the rumor, stating that the 1602 characters were only based on Marvel characters who debuted during the Silver Age of comic books At other times, he has told fans that he created Virginia Dare without a Marvel character basis to provide a unique and fully American character to tie in the 1602 universe with our real world.

Uatu, the Watcher who knows this shouldn't be happening, and is tempted to break the rules of the Watchers and interfere (albeit not for the first time).

Sir Nicholas Fury, the Queen's Intelligencer. The 1602 world's version of Nick Fury, in the position of Sir Francis Walsingham.

Doctor Stephen Strange, the Queen's Physician. Also an alchemist and magician. This world's version of Doctor Strange, in the position of Doctor John Dee.

Peter Parquagh, Sir Nicholas' apprentice. This world's Spider-Man, although without the powers. A running gag involves Peter repeatedly almost getting bitten by unusual spiders; something that finally occurs at the very end.

Matthew Murdoch, a blind Irish minstrel and freelance agent, who occasionally works for Sir Nicholas. Matthew acquired heightened senses from a mysterious substance he encountered as a child, and is this world's Daredevil.

Rojhaz, Virginia's blond Native American bodyguard. The colonists assume him to be a product of congress between Indians and Scottish or Welsh traders. In fact, he is actually Steve Rogers, Captain America. Assumed dead in a dystopian future, and sent back in time, Rogers, and the hole his passage left in time, served as the trigger for the warping of history to introduce the other Marvels. He also changed history more directly, by helping the Roanoke Colony through the winter.

Carlos Javier, a Spaniard living in England, where he runs a College for the Sons of Gentlefolk. He is also a witchbreed, but unlike the Inquisitor believes in a future of peace between witchbreed and normal humans (the mondani). He is this world's Professor X.

Javier's students, this world's version of the original X-Men. They are Robert Trefuis (Iceman), a nephew of Sir Francis Drake; Scotius Summerisle (Cyclops) and Hal McCoy (the Beast) who escaped from James' Scotland; "John" Grey (Jean Grey), the traditional Shakespearean girl disguised as a boy; and Werner (the Angel), who was rescued from the Inquisition in issue #1.

The Crew of the Fantastick, a famous group of heroes, who feature in Murdoch's favourite ballad (which Gaiman has written a full version of, although only snippets appear in the comic). They consist of Captain Benjamin Grimm (Thing), Sir Richard Reed (Mister Fantastic), Susan Storm (Invisible Woman), and John Storm (Human Torch), all of whom were transformed when the Fantastick encountered a wave of energy from the Anomaly (the hole in time created by Captain America); their bodies were reshaped into the four elements: Reed's flesh became pliable like water, Grimm's body became solid rock, Susan's body became weightless and invisible like air and John's body became living fire. Trapped in the castle of Count Otto von Doom, they remain in imprisonment until rescued by Sir Nicholas Fury and Carlos Javier. They are this world's Fantastic Four.

Donal, a Knight Templar, who was entrusted with bringing the "Templar Treasure" to Sir Nicholas. This proved to be the hammer Mjolnir, disguised as a simple walking stick. Donal, although believing it was blasphemy, was forced to use the hammer to be transformed to the pagan god Thor. He is this world's version of Donald Blake, aka The Mighty Thor. (In a clever conceit, while the Marvel Universe Thor has Shakespearean speech patterns, the 1602 version speaks in Anglo-Saxon alliterative verse. The calligraphy-style lettering in his speech bubbles is replaced by lettering designed to look like runes.)

David Banner, an advisor to James VI and I, who replaces Sir Nicholas when James takes the English throne. Towards the end of the story he is caught in the energies of the Anomaly and becomes a brutish monster. He is this world's Incredible Hulk

Villains
The Grand Inquisitor, real name Enrique. Born a Jew, he was taken in by a priest. The Christians later refused for him to be returned to his Jewish family, saying that giving him back to the 'Christ-killers' would damn his soul to Hell. Being unable to be reunited with his family left him psychologically scarred. When he grew up he became the leader of the Spanish Inquisition. He was ordered to execute the witchbreed, those born with abnormal powers (i.e. mutants), but hid those who could pass off as normal. Secretly a witchbreed himself, he used his activities as a cover for forming a Brotherhood which will inherit the Earth. He is this world's Magneto.

Wanda and Petros, the Inquisitor's assistants. They are also his children, a fact he has kept from them. They are this world's Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. At the end of the series Enrique gives Javier Petros and Wanda, asking his former friend to look over and teach them but not to tell them that he is their father.

Enrique has a spy in the Vatican which is this world's Toad.

Natasha, a freelance spy and "the most dangerous woman in Europe". She was partnered with Murdoch by Sir Nicholas, but betrayed him and Donal to Count Otto. She is this world's Black Widow.

grey fox
I just read it (graphic novel ftw ! ) was very, very awesome.

Though I noticed something , while most people say Virginia dare didn't have a marvel counterpart i believe she was a amalgam of the historical virginia Dare with pieces of Gwen stacy in.

Let's look at the facts.

1. She's blond and has blue eyes (A little weak i'll admit)
2. Her father is governor of Roanoke a position of authorative power. Gwen stacy's father was a detective (I think) also a seat of authority.
3. Peter has a crush upon Virginia (isn't blatantly obvious but you can tell)

Darth Vicious
I didn guessed who Cap was until like issue 3 and thats because I read it, then Rojhaz made sense!

Loot

grey fox

By Crom!
Gaiman at his not quite best. Still a good read though.

Loot
Originally posted by grey fox
The welsh explanation kinda made sense.

yes, but when you know its a book with marvel super heroes, and cap represents the true american spirit.
Magneto was more cool to find out.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.