How is taking your own life a sin?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BlackC@t
How could it be? When someone takes their own life they are mentally ill. It is not their fault. So let me ask you this, is it a sin to have a mental illness? No!
To say that it is is defying logic. When somebody is about to take their own life the chemical imbalance in their brain is so high that they are incapable of rational thought.

Legend Of Chibi
Originally posted by BlackC@t
How could it be? When someone takes their own life they are mentally ill. It is not their fault. So let me ask you this, is it a sin to have a mental illness? No!
To say that it is is defying logic. When somebody is about to take their own life the chemical imbalance in their brain is so high that they are incapable of rational thought.

Let me tell you this, mental illness or not, if they were good they wouldn't kill themselves, god chose us a time and it shouldn't be changed.

That kind of 'mental illness' is self caused, if you don't WANT to kill yourself don't TRY and if you don't TRY you won't, in other words a christian wouldn't kill themselves mental illness or not.

Imperial_Samura
!!!!!?????!!!!!! If they were good? Mental illness isn't some form of punishment. It isn't chosen (in most cases.) One doesn't control it. Advanced forms of schizophrenia, depressions and the like take away much control of a persons life, their ability to act reasonably. That kind of mental illness is NOT caused. And if a person commits suicide in such a state, as many sadly do, then it is not there fault.

And God chose a time? If God is all knowing, as is claimed, then he knows that they are going to commit suicide at the time they do so. Therefore that is their time, and as such it must be God's time as well. Being all knowing he knows exactly how each person will end up, and if he exists, and dooms a person to eternal damnation for something they did to themselves while under the influence of a mental illness, then he really is quite nasty.

And Christians do kill themselves while suffering mental illness. And throughout history have killed themselves. And will continue to do so. A little silver cross doesn't ward of a chemical imbalance, or a degenerative neurological disease, or brain damage. Nor does putting down Christian on a census form.

debbiejo
...^^^^ True.....And People like that hopfully get help..
Happened to my cousin...at 15.. sad

Imperial_Samura
I am sorry to hear that. It's so sad that things like that happen. And if only there was more help out there for people in such need. sad

Atlantis001

mr.smiley
I've always found something fasanating with the act of suicide.We always say someone "commited" suicide.That term has always sounded strange to me.However,the opion of suicide just depends on where you live.In America suicide is looked upon as moraly wrong and a ticket to Hell.We look at Japans history though,and we learn taking your own life was the highest way to attone for your sins (or dishonor).So I belive most peoples views on suicide will stem from their cultural backround.

debbiejo
^ yeah true...In Japan even today I saw in a documentary where men were going to a forest to commit suicide because of honor because they couldn't support they're families...I do think there that honor has gone too far though....But for the Christian world...It's a hell sentence..Many can't bear the thought of it...Some believe it's the unforgivable/unpardonable sin, others feel it's the "do not commit murder" sin.....sad.

Shakyamunison
Any murder is wrong, but can be forgiven. Suicide is murder that can't be forgiven in this lifetime, cause there is no more lifetime. However, forgiveness is not a part of Buddhism. For all things we do, we have the consequences that can not be avoided, in this life or any life time.

BlackC@t
But suicide is something you cannot control! It is NOT a choice!

Even though I don't believe in Hell, if there was a Hell you would not go there for simply taking your own life.

What do you mean Christians don't commit suicide? My grandad is a very hard-out christian and he tried suicide himself.

debbiejo

I still believe it's pretty much a choice though.

mr.smiley
Regardless if you can control it or not,I don't see it as a ticket to hell.

finti
eehhh ending your own life, how is that not a choice?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by mr.smiley
Regardless if you can control it or not,I don't see it as a ticket to hell.

Most likely, it's a way out of hell, but I don't think it will work. Karma is something you can not run away from. What ever caused the hell in a person's life and lead to suicide, will still remain until it has had it's full effect.

So instead of suicide, "suffer what there is to suffer and enjoy what there is to enjoy".

leana marie
sometimes i would get so confused and pained that i would contemplate suicide, but i chose not to. i dont think it is a sin, for that i would have to believe in god, but i dont.

suicide is a choice, and i dont think its wrong if someone chooses it. that was their choice.

Legend Of Chibi
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
!!!!!?????!!!!!! If they were good? Mental illness isn't some form of punishment. It isn't chosen (in most cases.) One doesn't control it. Advanced forms of schizophrenia, depressions and the like take away much control of a persons life, their ability to act reasonably. That kind of mental illness is NOT caused. And if a person commits suicide in such a state, as many sadly do, then it is not there fault.

And God chose a time? If God is all knowing, as is claimed, then he knows that they are going to commit suicide at the time they do so. Therefore that is their time, and as such it must be God's time as well. Being all knowing he knows exactly how each person will end up, and if he exists, and dooms a person to eternal damnation for something they did to themselves while under the influence of a mental illness, then he really is quite nasty.

And Christians do kill themselves while suffering mental illness. And throughout history have killed themselves. And will continue to do so. A little silver cross doesn't ward of a chemical imbalance, or a degenerative neurological disease, or brain damage. Nor does putting down Christian on a census form.

A christian is taught not to commit suicide, so a christian with a 'mental illness' wouldn't, simple as.

Or as a alternative, whoever didn't take enough care of the mentally ill would get the blame for not making sure they didn't commit suicide.

"And God chose a time? If God is all knowing, as is claimed, then he knows that they are going to commit suicide at the time they do so. Therefore that is their time, and as such it must be God's time as well. Being all knowing he knows exactly how each person will end up, and if he exists, and dooms a person to eternal damnation for something they did to themselves while under the influence of a mental illness, then he really is quite nasty."
Ever heard of death by Old Age? That's gods plan and when you kill yourself it breaks that plan.

Legend Of Chibi

Even though I don't believe in Hell, if there was a Hell you would not go there for simply taking your own life.

What do you mean Christians don't commit suicide? My grandad is a very hard-out christian and he tried suicide himself.

Why'd he try? The BIBLE I repeat BIBLE, the book that christianity revolves around, says commiting suicide is wrong. He is important so why commit suicide?

_Sanctuary_
... I'm really worried my friend is going to commit suicide....

svnthdysthsbbth
Paul wrote .......

Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

Scoobless
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura

well... you just saved me 5 minutes of typing

smile

debbiejo
Originally posted by svnthdysthsbbth
Paul wrote .......

Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

Sure, we should all take care of our bodies, but the way you put it...Little babies sure have a clean temple...so why would god destroy that little temple?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.