A Super Star Destroyer or a Borg Cube?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ganner Rhysode
Okay, well, I wanted to match the SSD up against something, but I couldn't think of anything that wasn't insanely more powerful than the SSD, or much much weaker, so I thought a Borg Cube would be a good match up.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/b/b6/SW_Executor_03.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/20/SW_Executor_01.jpg

http://www.galacticempiredatabank.com/Executor.gif

There's the Super-class Star Destroyer. For refference, the tower at the rear of the ship is supposed to be the same size as that of a standard Imperial-class Star Destroyer, I believe a SSD is 11 times larger than a standard Imperial SD, and comes to a whopping size of (I believe) just under 13 kilometers. (12.8, I think)

It has 250 turbo laser batteries, 250 heavy turbo laser batteries, 250 concussion missle tubes, 250 ion cannons, 40 tractor beams, and is decked out in a titanium reinforced Alusteel hull. It also had 12 squadrons of TIE-fighters, four of each (TIE-fighters, TIE-interceptors, TIE-bombers).

Onboard, it also had a full Stormtrooper corps of 38,000 troops, 25 AT-ATs, 50 AT-STs, various ground vehicles, and three pre-frabricated garrisons, ready to land on planet.

Now, onto the Borg Cube.

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/dax/cube_FC.jpg

http://ds9.trekpulse.com/album/albums/1x01/emissary010.jpg

This mammoth is said to be several kilometers both long and wide, and its crew is said to contain "thousands of Borg." Other than that, not a lot of specs are avalible on the Borg cube, other than the fact that it's really, really huge, about one fourth the size of Earth, has a LOT of guns, can "adapt" to weaponsfire and missles just as the Borg themselves can, and is really, really huge.

Anyway, this would be a really close battle, and I'm still not quiet sure. The SSD I feel would have an advantage in the beginning, but if they didn't destroy it fast enough, the Borg cube would adapt to their turbolasers, and then their heavy turbolasers, and even their Ion cannons. I suppose the wings of TIEs could help out, also, as they fire shots at different frequencies, and the Empire could send over Stormtrooper boarding parties, but they'd eventually adapt to that, as well...

I suppose it just depends on how fast the SSD responds, but if this is, say, the Executor with Admiral Piett, or even Darth Vader on board, I'd have to say the SSD would win.

DarthMaul9123
star trek is gay but i will go with the super star destroyer because it has an entire fleet of ships within it and it also has hundred more turrets than the northern hemisphere of the deathstar and its vaders main ship

Darth_Glentract
Go to ditl.org for st specs

DarthMaul9123
GLENTRAWATS UP hey can you tell me when kotor three is due

Darth_Glentract
Not much. I don't think the release date it out yet.

Darth Abominus
borg cube, cause of its ability to adapt and regenerate. if it was a death star, i'd say death star, one shot kill.

Darth_Glentract
The Cube doesn't stand a chance. Look at stardestroyer.net

Tangible God
Yeah, I agree with Abominus.

But as for the SSD, oooooo, too many options.

There's always been an unresolved debate over the actual size of the SSD, some say 8 km, some say 18 km, and there's other.

Ganner Rhysode
The official StarWars.com website says 12,800 meters, so...

Darth_Glentract
It was meant to be a compromise. But, above SW.com is the movies, and if you measure it in the movie, it is 17000 meters, so that is the canon one.

Deus Ex
www.stardestroyer.net

That guy has already extensively and logically (and even scientifically) proven just how much better SW is to ST, and turbolasers on a Super Star Destroyer are more than enough to blast the Borg Cube into oblivion. There is no way the Borg can adapt to a technologically superior weapon in under a second. The initially battery would split that thing in half.

overlord
"George Lucas: Each gun in the Star Wars universe is able to destroy all Star Trek ships, this is official."

"Super Shadow: If they battle will take a while, then the super star destroyer is doomed as the borg cube will adapt although it doesn't make sense."

Here you have it, a word from the world foremost mega geniuses.
As for my opinion, I think we can't compare it to each other as Star Trek doesn't often make sense, at least less compared to Star Wars.

Tangible God
Yeah, Star Trek is just wacky.....that being, it's too related to Earth for it to go that far.

Star Wars was intentionally made to be out of it.

Veneficus
Is there not one person here who likes Star Trek or am I totaly alone?

overlord
I like Star Trek (mainly because of holodeck fantasies!(just kidding)), but I wouldn't bring it up in a Star Wars Forum. Especially not a versus forum..

Tangible God
Originally posted by Veneficus
Is there not one person here who likes Star Trek or am I totaly alone? I would have enjoyed had I not seen the episode or movie in which a old, fat Bill Shatner commands the ship.

Deus Ex
Star Trek is just too... wishy washy of a sci-fi. Here's just a few things I hate about the series:

- Whatever can be said normally, will be said overly long and with much pseudo-science words used inaccurately at will.

- Melrose Place type drama will be a mainstay of the series, despite the fact that one of the parties might be ugly, alien, or both.

- Technology shall be all unrealistic and extremely goofy looking (Like phasers- who the hell would want to use a weapon like that in combat?)

- Ground troopers, heavy artillery, naval strategy, private ownership of starships.... the Federation needs not these things.

- Good special effects make not one great.

- Every shall attend Starfleet academy, even non officers, and every senior bridge crew member will have a hand in every single mission done by this one ship.

- This series shall suck, period.

There you have it. Star Trek blows.

Spelljammer
Star Trek is a more realistic approach to how our techonology might evolve. But I think Star Wars has some realistics to how our societys will evolve..

I'm going to go with The Borg Cube. The Borg send chills down the spines of the otherwise cold plastic Starship Enterprise.. They've converted Captain Piccard to a borg before, I'm sure they could do the same to the already half machine Vader.. Resistance is futile..

Deus Ex
Originally posted by Spelljammer
Star Trek is a more realistic approach to how our techonology might evolve. But I think Star Wars has some realistics to how our societys will evolve..

I'm going to go with The Borg Cube. The Borg send chills down the spines of the otherwise cold plastic Starship Enterprise.. They've converted Captain Piccard to a borg before, I'm sure they could do the same to the already half machine Vader.. Resistance is futile..

Ah, no.

There's actually been a book written where a professional totally discounted the science behind Star Trek at most if not all levels. Star Trek is NOT realistic of how technology would evolve, unless society became a rigid, unthinking Communist bloc that obviously couldn't contend with a real modern day army. I mean, the Federation doesn't have artillery, it doesn't have privately owned ships, it doesn't have any real currency, it doesn't have human racism but it displays not so subtle speciesism... The list rages on and on.

Star Trek is nothing more than some pseudo-science soap opera where everything's clean and people live in peace and every episode there is a new and strange being and Captain Piccard asks it to please stop, and if he does something mundane or quasi-daring, it does.

Star Wars features realistic settings where things are lawless, dirty, grimey at times. Politics creates chaos, war is rampant, and good is often hard to separate from evil. Blaster technology is easier to swallow than phaser crap, and most certainly more economical. How does one aim a phaser properly anyways? From the hip of that one piece polyster suit?

And the Borg's zOMG converting powers don't mean crap if they get hailed on by SSD turbolasers. You want to know how powerful turbo lasers are?

Well, in one episode of ST:TNG, Riker says it would take an entire payload of photon torpedos from the Enterprise to destroy an asteroid.

In ESB, the Executer is using turbolasers to clear an asteroid field consisting of asteroids upwards of twenty, forty meters across (Comparable with the size of the Falcon). The process actually obliterates the asteroid.

How the hell is the Borg gonna get past that?

Darth_Glentract
Ya, go read "The Science of Star Wars". I was amazed about how much of Star Wars makes sense in science, even if we don't break the laws of physics.

Tangible God
I don't think there's anyone who can argue with that. I would have liked to see a thread with that damndable Eclipse-class SD vs. the Borg Cube.

Who'd win there?

Darth_Glentract
The Eclispe can knock off a quater of a planet in one shot. It blows the hell out of a cube.

Deus Ex
Who is that fat dude in your avatar, Glentract? Do you have a secret you want to share?

Tangible God
HAHAHA! Thank you, that's what I wanted to hear. And what the F*CK is with the naked FATGUY?!

Darth_Glentract
Thats me.

Tangible God
Oh GOD, how big are you?

Darth_Glentract
I weigh 426.

Deus Ex
Bullshit. I've seen that photo before. "s not you.

Darth_Glentract
I was kidding. I'm 183 and 8% bodyfat. I look NOTHING like that.

Deus Ex
183? How tall are you now?

Tangible God
I'm 180 and I'm 6'3. It can happen.

Deus Ex
Heh. 6'1" and approaching 220 myself. Southern food stays near the equator, of course.

Darth_Glentract
I'm 5'11. I do Taekwondo though(doesn't add a lot of muscle really) but I also played football last year and the year before that(but stopped because my knee was messed up. more a pull, doesn't seem to be long term damage) and I weight lift, so I weight a lot, for 14 at least.

Deus Ex
That is quite a bit. I was that tall at 14, but skinny like hell. I was something like 139 lbs. when I was 17 even.

Darth_Glentract
I have always been bulky. I was 90 pounds in second grade, but that was mostly fat. My grandpa(who doesn't even know what weights are, but lived on a farm and did a lot of welding) is 83 and 250 pounds and 6'4, so I have big genes, I guess.

Deus Ex
Go with it. Having mass makes you hit like a brick.

Veneficus
I am 15 years old 5'9 feet and weigh 210 pounds

ResubianNushi
Since were going with height, I'm six four and 180 pounds. 15% body fat. Almost all muscle baby.

Darth_Glentract
Mods, off topic, I know.

How much can all yall bench? I'm at 185.

Deus Ex
I've never measured. I haven't really worked out outside of a few hours (excluding school related and work related exercise).

I really should, though. I have my father's build, which means I could be huge. Arnold, but taller.

Fishy
I have no idea because all you said seems like strange numbers to me. Meaning absolutely nothing.

Tangible God
I'm not going to boast about benchpressing, because most guys, unless you know them personally, will exaggerate, or flat out lie about how much they can lift.

The most I ever lifted was when I was 15,--60 pounds baby!

Strange thing is, I've got hell of a hard punch.

Twilight Janick
The Cube would win, not without having to withstand insane amounts of damage. Unless the Executor's gunners concentrated their fire in a single spot. Remember, the Super Star Destroyers have the Executor as a class name.

Deus Ex
And remember, this has been done before and the Cube would be destroyed. Regular Star Destroyers have varying sizes of turbolasers, which can do more damage in under a second than the entire payload of the USS Enterprise can in all volleys.

Twilight Janick
Don't forget: the Enterprise-D and the Enterprise-E are the only ones who fought Cubes. True, the original Enterprise, for which you're referring to, wouldn't stand a chance against a Cube. But concentrating all firepower in ONE place is the thing that allowed the Federation to destroy the Cube.

Knowing that an ISD's biggest weapons can only fragment an asteroid 25m in diameter, and the energies required for doing so are about 250 TJ per turbolaser tube while phasers-XII (mounted on the Enterprise-E) have a firepower of 7,100 TJ each! Imagine 40*250 TJ (an ISD's firepower) vs. 16*7,100 TJ (Enterprise-E's beam power), it would require several concentrated volleys to destroy said cube.

Deus Ex

Deus Ex
Oh, and I forgot.

OWN3D!

Twilight Janick
Wait... Are you actually telling me the whole thing I built up was some Federation cultist waste?

Deus Ex
Your post says specifically that an Imperial Star Destroyer's biggest weapons can only -fragment- an asteroid ~25 m in diameter. Canon SW material and a good close look at ESB shows that those are point blank trench turbolasers of relatively small size. Your information is tainted by ignorance, and keep in mind this is a Super Star Destroyer versus the Borg Cube. The Borg cube can only adapt to an energy source once it has been hit with it. If the Borg cube can adapt to even the smallest weapons on a regular Star Destroyer in under a second before being split in half, I might be willing to say it can last against a SSD.

Tangible God
Oh yeah, definetely owned.

Darth_Glentract
Actually, Janus, you are giving the Borg too much credit on adaptation. The lasers, as you probably already know, aren't really lasers. They are a plasma, which the Borg have demontrated no ability to adapt to.

Next, TJ, where did you get the idea that there are only 40 turbolasers on a SSD? There are more than that on a regular Star Destoryer.

Also, 250 TJ is FAR to low a number. There was an asteroid in ESB that was over a hundred meters in diameter that was vaporised. This would require over 30,000 TJ to do.

Since a SSd is is about 11 times the length of a ISD, and has more than 11 times an ISD's mass, we will estimate that is has approximatly 660 turbolasers.

660*30,000 TJ=19,800,000 TJ
According to your own calculation. 16*7,100 TJ=113,600

It is completly outgunned by the SSD.

Deus Ex
Oh no, I wasn't giving the Borg any credit. I already know that a salvo from the SSD or even an ISD would split it in half. TJ's argument relies in the lowest possible estimates for SW tech, lowest possible guns used, and also relies heavily on calculations by someone who's credibility is severely in question.

overlord
I'm glad Glentract got his old avathar back.. Congratulate me.
Hey, should I make a thread about making Star Trek SW canon? Then they can really fight!!!! HURRAY!!!

Or should it be apokryphal?

Tangible God
I-I-I'm sorry...but "apokryphal?"

overlord
Ah! Glad you pointed that out to me spelling police, it is spelled with a C of course! And if you are wondering what it means perhaps.. Don't even bother, it is an even gayer bible term than 'canon'.

Tangible God
Apocalyptic? I'm not sure, the whole judgement of man, especially by a quartet of horsemen, sounds kinda neat.

badboyjedi
LETS FACE IT PEOPLE Starwars is just over all better it makes more sense, it lasts longer then startrek the movies didnt suck like the startrek ones the video and comp games are better they got better tech then S.T plus they got the force I mean resistance is futile is nothing when your getting thrown against the wall by darth vader plus even if the borg by some god given mirical adapted to the weponry and boarded the SSD they could seal off part of the ship put darth vader in their and tell him "have a field day dude!" gettin lil crowded round him no problemo just use a force push and theres no way you can adapt to a blade of pure energy disenbowling you!! by the way has neone heard any thing on KOTOR3?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.