"The Brood" (Cronenberg)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cinemaddiction
I was curious if anyone else has seen David Cronenberg's "The Brood"? I watched it the other day before work and I was really, really impressed. Now, "Rabid" wasn't exactly a step in the right direction for a debut, but this movie was beyond redeeming, and the beginning of something special.

"The Brood" follows an angry husband who is trying to crack a psychiatrists odd therapy techniques, the likes of which are being performed on his wife, played by Samantha Eggar, who carried the movie. During his investigation, a string of related murders are being carried out, which throw roadblocks left and right in his search. This, all having being triggered by abuse endured by his daughter, at the mother's hands, during the last visit.

With that, begins the genius and timeless of Cronenberg. The killers, who take on a childish appearance, have one of their own killed, and autopsied, where they come to find they have no genitalia nor belly button/umblical cord, ergo, never having been "born". Once Frank, the husband, decides that enough is enough, he forces the truth out of the good doctor, the lethargic Oliver Reed. Disclosing the location of his wife, Frank stumbles upon a cabin, housing both his wife, as well as a literal brood of "children", which he comes to find are all born of his wife, the jealous and vindictive Nola, who is revealed as an alien being of sorts, birthing children outside of her womb. Said children having been the ones executing of the string of killings, to save her children, since she can't have Candice, their daughter.

Is your mind totally numbed yet? It's signature Cronenberg, it's absolutely timeless and very effective, and creepy as hell too. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it as an intro to the Godfather of the mutt genre of Sci Fi-/Horror.

MildPossession
The Brood is one of my favourites from Cronenberg and one of my all time favourites for horror, going to replace my video with the Anchor Bay dvd soon, can't wait.

Absolutely love Oliver Reed in this film.

Deano
gonna buy it off amazon. i already bought rabid and shivers today

b-dan
the only croneberg film i have seen is the fly and its amazing so his other films are also probably amazing

devilsreject304
I own The Brood but havent watched it.

slayer
yea it's a great film, i totally agree with CA.

Also check out soem other Cronenberg like Shivers, Scannerz and The Fly

Solo
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
I was curious if anyone else has seen David Cronenberg's "The Brood"? I watched it the other day before work and I was really, really impressed. Now, "Rabid" wasn't exactly a step in the right direction for a debut, but this movie was beyond redeeming, and the beginning of something special.

"The Brood" follows an angry husband who is trying to crack a psychiatrists odd therapy techniques, the likes of which are being performed on his wife, played by Samantha Eggar, who carried the movie. During his investigation, a string of related murders are being carried out, which throw roadblocks left and right in his search. This, all having being triggered by abuse endured by his daughter, at the mother's hands, during the last visit.

With that, begins the genius and timeless of Cronenberg. The killers, who take on a childish appearance, have one of their own killed, and autopsied, where they come to find they have no genitalia nor belly button/umblical cord, ergo, never having been "born". Once Frank, the husband, decides that enough is enough, he forces the truth out of the good doctor, the lethargic Oliver Reed. Disclosing the location of his wife, Frank stumbles upon a cabin, housing both his wife, as well as a literal brood of "children", which he comes to find are all born of his wife, the jealous and vindictive Nola, who is revealed as an alien being of sorts, birthing children outside of her womb. Said children having been the ones executing of the string of killings, to save her children, since she can't have Candice, their daughter.

Is your mind totally numbed yet? It's signature Cronenberg, it's absolutely timeless and very effective, and creepy as hell too. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it as an intro to the Godfather of the mutt genre of Sci Fi-/Horror.

I agree. It's a totally awesome movie, I own it. What are your thoughts on "ExistenZ", Cine?

Deano
i enjoyed scanners, but wasnt fond of rabid and shivers. they was decent with some cringe scenes but i never enjoyed them too much.

i got the brood today and i hope this one is better, or i will tear c'dic's soul apaaaaaaart

NormaBates
I love the fly, but shiver totaly sucked!!

Deano
the fly was good, and the dead zone was decent also

Zilverz
this movie was very creepy..

questions i have though:

if the daughter was born from this alien like mother .. wouldnt she also be part alien ????

Deano
maybe she come out the right way..

c-dic your soul is saved. i really enjoyed the film ver muchlybig grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.