drizz vs blade sword fight

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

wolverine8888
it a sword fight drzz from forgotten realms vs blade vampire hunter

Dizzle
I'm not a big Blade fan... He's definitely got a physical edge over Drizzt, but that's never stopped him before, now has it? I don't really have an accurate scope of where Blade's at though... If he's really godly, he'll probably take it, but it's really really hard to outskill Drizzt.

wolverine8888
blade can heal but not that good. he peak strength thou im not sure about speed and every thing eles.

LGodamus
Drizz't is an amazing fighter and would run circles around blade....he has years of fighting experience on blade and would rival marvels best hand to hand combatants for pure skill...no to mention he has magical goodies to help him out.....

DigiMark007
Blade is lots stronger, so he might be able to take Drizzt there. But skill-wise Drizzt would own him. Long fight either way, Drizzt 8/10.

Laminator_X
I'll second Digi's assesment.

DigiMark007
There seems to be some confusion about Drizzt. Hopefully I can provide a decent "bio."

He's got some magical do-hickeys to aid him (like speed-enhancing ankle bracers) but he's basically peak human agility, and moderate strength (he's not known for strength, just his speed). He fights with two scimitars, and very few outside of those with supernatural help and/or millenia of experience (nods to Laminator) will beat him in a heads-up sword fight. His reflexes, instincts, fighting ability, and experience are on par with anyone in a comic universe.

Much as Blade might enjoy the night, he'd drop a globe of darkness around him (that infravision can't penetrate) and hit him 10 times before he knew hat was going on (Drizzt enjoys fighting in complete darkness, just letting his instincts and other senses guide him). And if we allow everything about Drizzt, a 600 pound magically summoned panther would be dropping onto Blade during the fight as well.

Orestes
There's no reason whatsoever to assume that Drizzt is more skillful than Blade. Blade could even be more skillful than Drizzt, for all we really know. The fact that Drizzt uses two swords at once doesn't cut it, either -- that style of fighting is not automatically BETTER; it's just different. Both display incredible skill. If anything, I can't help wondering how Drizzt would react when Blade started mixing modern martial-arts techniques in with the swordplay, but it really doesn't matter anyway because whatever negligible skill difference there may be, it isn't going to save Drizzt even if he's the more skillful fighter after all. Here's why:

Drizzt, being peak-dark elf in speed/agility, is slightly above peak human in that category. Blade is WELL above it. Drizzt's speed-enhancing bracers MIGHT enable him to keep up.

Drizzt, being elven, is slightly handicapped in durability. However, he's unusually tough for an elf, so he's a little bit above human average. Blade is WELL above peak human.

Drizzt is a little stronger than the average human. Blade is WELL above peak human.

To put it into perspective, Blade as a D&D character would probably have something like all 30s (or so -- maybe more) in strength, dexterity and constitution. He'd be a FORCE OF NATURE if he were dropped into Faerun and would very quickly become famous for his exploits. He's stronger than Drizzt ... MUCH stronger. He's tougher than Drizzt ... MUCH tougher. He's AT LEAST as fast as Drizzt WHILE Drizzt is using his speed bracers, if not faster still. Drizzt has NOTHING on Blade save a puny immobile (and it IS immobile, folks, and can easily be moved out of) globe of darkness that Blade could probably fight inside of as well as Drizzt anyway.

And if Drizzt gets to start extra weapons (like that globe and his panther Gwenhwyvar) outside of just his sword, then Blade can start using HIS extra weapons ... and you just DON'T want to go there, man. wink

Drizzt is awesome, don't get me wrong, but Blade is like Drizzt with superpowers. And this fight's going to be Blade about 8-9/10.

Dreampanther
Nah, not a chance. Blade is used to battling vampires. Drizzt is used to battling EVERYTHING. Drizzt would tear Blade apart.

Everything Orestes said should be turned around. I don't mean that Drizzt is stronger, or more invulnerable, what I mean is all these abilities would do would be to let Blade keep up a little bit longer. The only advantage I see Blade having, is that he is stronger than Drizzt, which counts for exactly SQUAT when it comes to a sword fight.

All Blade's abilities, like speed, strength and endurance, would do, is to make the fight last a little bit longer. Maybe.

I wouldn't even make it Drizzt wins 8/10. I would make it Drizzt takes it 9/10, and the only reason I would give Blade a win, is because as we all know, anything could happen, Thor could be flying over and let Mjolnir drop because he is drunk and it might fall on Drizzt.

Blade is good, especially against vampires and mortals.

Drizzt is legend

Orestes
Strength doesn't mean squat in a swordfight, huh? Yeah, okay. stick out tongue

Anyway, getting back to reality for a moment ... so what if Drizzt fights "everything"? He comes from a world that HAS all of those things! Blade fights the best his world has to offer, which includes some beasties Drizzt would need help fighting (like the super-vampire at the end of Blade II -- no way Drizzt could fight him solo and live). Drizzt is WAAAY overrated, basically because he "looks cool" with his twin scimitars. He really ain't all that.

Actually, his D&D build is kind of weak for his level ...

EsteemedLeader
If Drizzt has his magic panther, Blade is F'ed.

Strength advantage? Meh, he took on the barbarian with Aegis-Fang, which is basically like Thors mjolinr, and won...

Orestes
He wasn't fighting someone who is also MUCH faster and MUCH tougher, as well as being probably about as skilled. Additionally, if he gets his panther, then Blade gets his guns. And then Drizzt is REALLY screwed.

Wickerman

Orestes
Unlike Drizzt, however, Blade doesn't conform to and does not come FROM D&D reality ... now does he? wink

In Blade II, we see his head smack a pillar with enough force to knock a large chunk out of it. That dazed him a little. Had that been Drizzt's head, his skull would have exploded like an overripe grape.

That's just ONE example of his durability, which so far exceeds Drizzt's that the two can hardly be compared.

In the first movie, we see Deacon Front sidestep a BULLET on OPEN GROUND ... AFTER IT IS FIRED. He doesn't dodge the shooter -- he dodges. THE BULLET. Blade is still both faster and better than Frost.

That's just ONE example of his speed, which again far exceeds Drizzt's.

Blade is not D&D's idea of a half-vampire. He's on a whole other level entirely.

Furthermore, I say again: if magic tricks are allowed, then guns are allowed. It's either "swords only," or it isn't. Arguing that "Drizzt doesn't go anywhere without" something is silly because Blade never goes anywhere without a considerable arsenal of varied weapons. His sword is just one tool.

Edit: And again, quit trying to apply D&D stats to NON-D&D characters. Would you cite D&D's idea of a vampire when speaking of Lestat? How could you justify that, given how much more powerful Lestat is than that? laughing

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Orestes
Furthermore, I say again: if magic tricks are allowed, then guns are allowed. It's either "swords only," or it isn't. Arguing that "Drizzt doesn't go anywhere without" something is silly because Blade never goes anywhere without a considerable arsenal of varied weapons. His sword is just one tool.

Drizzt's magic ability is INNATE, he is born with it. In the beginning he could even levitate, slightly, although he graduall lost that power. If you don't want Drizzt to be magical, the ability he is BORN with, then you should take away ALL Blade's powers.

And yes, Blade fights the best his world has to offer. But the best his world has to offer wouldn't last long in Drizzt's world.

Wickerman
Edit: And again, quit trying to apply D&D stats to NON-D&D characters. Would you cite D&D's idea of a vampire when speaking of Lestat? How could you justify that, given how much more powerful Lestat is than that? laughing

To put it into perspective, Blade as a D&D character would probably have something like all 30s (or so -- maybe more) in strength, dexterity and constitution. He'd be a FORCE OF NATURE if he were dropped into Faerun and would very quickly become famous for his exploits.

Contradiction much? laughing I was just replying to that portion of your post mon ami. And if you want us to ignore stats and go into feats, we shall, but alas, i have to go take a bath, i have some classes to teach and then when i get back we can proceed. Okay?

ps: oh come on.....the banging head on wall thing??? you mean when his FARKING SUNGLASSES WEREN'T EVEN SCRATCHED???? yeah......that was a good one roll eyes (sarcastic) . Comments in movie theater at the time: "Damn......i wanna get me one of those pair of glasses" laughing out loud

~wickerman~

Orestes
Originally posted by Wickerman
Contradiction much? laughing I was just replying to that portion of your post mon ami. And if you want us to ignore stats and go into feats, we shall, but alas, i have to go take a bath, i have some classes to teach and then when i get back we can proceed. Okay?

ps: oh come on.....the banging head on wall thing??? you mean when his FARKING SUNGLASSES WEREN'T EVEN SCRATCHED???? yeah......that was a good one roll eyes (sarcastic) . Comments in movie theater at the time: "Damn......i wanna get me one of those pair of glasses" laughing out loud

~wickerman~

Well, I was trying to give some perspective on how completely outside of Drizzt's level Blade really is. The point again remains: Blade took a hit that would kill any human being (and especially dark elf, as dark elves are actually less resilient than humans), and it only dazed him a little. Not even Captain America could take a hit like that, simply because a human skull can't. It would cave in.

And, again, there's the whole "able to dodge a bullet on open ground after it's been fired" thing. So yeah, if you converted Blade to D&D stats, he'd have to be in the 30s or so (30 is right around air elemental level, and that sounds about right for Blade's speed).

Blade would be a good match for an ANIME swordsman like Gutts of Berserk or Gourry of Slayers (either of whom would mop the floor with Drizzt, as they're both superhuman themselves). Drizzt isn't in that league.

Dreampanther
Yeah, but you're talking about Hollywood movie effects here, man, with, as Wickerman said, unbelievable special effects. And I DO mean unbelievable.

I do agree with you, however, that Drizzt and Blade are at completely different skill levels. In fact, that's what I have been arguing all along. cool

Dreampanther
PS We are not even talking about the time Drizzt regressed to a primitive level and turned into the Hunter. When he was in that state, Blade wouldn't have a prayer.

The only reason I think it would make an interesting fight, is because Drizzt like playing with his opponents, sometimes, just like Big Black. She frequently enjoys playing with her food. I think that's why they get along so well. wink

Orestes
Sure, yeah, okay. Blade's a superhuman with arguably equivalent skill and training, but Drizzt is ... he's ... uh, he's Drizzt! He has white hair and pointy ears!!! And lavender eyes, man! Fear the eyes!!

Thing is, I've made my case. Your counter-arguments amount to, "Nu-uh! Drizzt is uber!" Which sounds a lot like a new Batman Almighty ... wink

You know, there needs to be a Drizzt vs. Batman vs. Wolverine vs. Spider-Man fight. Let's just get all of the most highly overrated characters out there on the battlefield together at once and see what their fans have to say. stick out tongue

Edit: And that "hunter" garbage was just a low-level barbarian rage. OR ... if you want to take it from a cinematic point of view, it's just a "bad***" moment for Drizzt, where you know he's about to go all postal on the bad guys. It's basically analagous to Blade putting on his sunglasses and looking all hardcore, with the difference being Blade is still superhuman, and Drizzt still simply is not.

Wickerman
Right. Back home now, so time for another essay-like post stick out tongue

First of all i'm gonna ask you Orestes to address the points i make the way i do.

I'm going to post like this:

1. xxxx
2. xxx
etc. etc. and it'd save much time and trouble if you could reply to my points in the same manner

1. yyyy
2. yyy

Anyway.......here we go:

1. Infravision: In the novels, Drizzt as all drow has Infravision. What this means is that he can see in the infrared spectrum, detecting heat signatures and such. Darkness poses no problem to him.

2. Weapons:

- Icingdeath

The hilt of the scimitar is of black adamantite and the blade is made of silver with a diamond edge. The weapon absorbs fire and heat, protecting its wielder against fire.

- Twinkle

Twinkle is Drizzt's defensive scimitar. Not only does Drizzt have incredible skills in battle, but the magic imbued in this Scimitar makes it even harder to land a strike on him. Forged by elves, Twinkle has a star-cut sapphire on its pommel and it glows blue when danger is near.

3. Combat strategies/knowledge:

Drizzt fights in the two long-weapon style common among drow warriors. He was trained by his father, Zaknafein, the best weapons master in Menzoberranzan and then, officially at Melee-Magthere, the Menzoberranyr school for warriors, and later, again by Zaknafein (or Zak as he was sometimes known) who helped him to hone his skills further. It was Zaknafein who taught Drizzt the movements to transcend the basics of the drow martial art, to think creatively about any fight. His technique was more about training one's muscles to respond, quickly and in perfect harmony, to the calls of the mind, and more importantly, to the calls of the imagination. He taught that improvisation, not rote responses, was what separated a warrior from a weapons master. Drizzt then surpassed his father, becoming the best fighter in Menzoberranzan.

Often, if Drizzt enters combat with an opponent he has to fight but isn't confident he can easily defeat he calls upon his innate Drow abilities to conjure up a globe of magical darkness that effectively blinds both himself and his opponent. He then begins to go into a self-imposed trance where, through a mixture of sheer skill, concentration and luck he often gains the upper hand, parrying enemy blades and making attacks that find holes in his opponent's defences that they, not used to fighting blind cannot possibly see coming. (hope you read this part, seeing as it's pretty important, stating how the globes are INNATE)

4. The Hunter:

I remembered about this when Dreampanther mentioned it. He doesn't go into a barbarian-like rage.....this is much worse.

Twice in his life, Drizzt had regressed into a bestial and instinctive state of mind in which he was identified as the Hunter. The first time this happened was after Drizzt had fled from Menzoberranzan and was living in the wilds of the Underdark. The second time was during the war with King Obould Many Arrows and his horde of orcs. Drizzt had thought Bruenor dead, and wasn't certain if his other friends were alive. When Drizzt is the Hunter, he reaches his physical apex, his skills honed to their utmost peak. His scimitars are like extensions of his own arms, and his senses are heightened beyond their normal capacity.

5. Speed and Agility:

His agility and fighting prowess are legendary, and many have described his movements as too fast to follow with the eye, drow or human.
(granted, this is from Wikipedia, but the quote actually exists.....it was stated in Sojourn i believe...)

6. History and feats:

As a child, Drizzt displayed amazing reflexes and coordination. Consequently, Zaknafein was able to persuade Malice that Drizzt should become a warrior, instead of replacing Nalfein as the house wizard. Thus, at the age of sixteen, Drizzt began his weapons training. (Zaknafein convinced Malice when he told Drizzt to put 5 coins on each hand, 10 in total, and toss them all in the air at the same time. he caught them all before they touched the ground).

At twenty years of age, he went to Melee-Magthere, Menzoberranzan's warrior academy, where he excelled in his studies despite his resistance to the attempted brainwashing by the masters of the academy. When it was clear that there were none in Drizzt's class who could beat him, the masters of the academy matched him against students three years above him. Drizzt defeated that class easily. His time at the academy would have been spotless (by Drow standards) except for the graduation ceremony, where he disgraced himself by refusing to take part in an orgy, refusing the advances of two high priestesses, one of them his sister, and damning Lolth. Although he thought that no one noticed because they themselves were too "distracted" by the ceremony, therefore he still graduated with honors.

(notice him being better than any other fighter in the entire city. And before you say "It's just a city", it'd be the equivalent of a small country.....and it's THE most powerful city in the Underdark)

After leaving Menzo, he stayed in the Underdark, was attacked by Mind Flayers (psionic beings), was enslaved, fought them, won.
He then fought Zaknafein again (Zaknafein being the best warrior in Menzo after Drizzt) and won. Zak was undead (sic) and enhanced, even though mind controlled.

In the Icewind Dale Trilogy, after having befriended the dwarves, his favorite sport was HUNTING DOWN YETI AND GIANTS....i mean seriously.......

When the barbarian tribes threatened to attack the Ten Towns, Drizzt faced their leader, the most powerful barbarian there himself, and won (the wounds included a stab to the stomach and a slash across the abdomen).

Later, Drizzt together with Wulfgar (still young and unexperienced Wulfgar) took out an entire lair of giants.....in one go.

The next order of businness was Drizzt and Wulfgar travelling to find Ingeloakastimizilian, a Wyrm dragon (almost most powerful). Toegther they killed the dragon, and that's how Drizzt found Icingdeath.

Please don't tell me Blade is better than a Wyrm Dragon roll eyes (sarcastic)

What happened next you ask? Well, the wizard Akar Kessel posessed by the power of the crystal shard Crenshinibon summoned a balor (just so you know, Balors are the most powerful demons out there. As in angels crap their pants and run when they see one. yes.....BALOR....please don't tell me Blade is better than a damn Balor roll eyes (sarcastic) ).
Drizzt, sensing the demon Errtu, and recognizing the balor from his days in Menzoberannzan, called the demon and faced it alone with Guenhwyvar. After a battle, and the aid of the fire-banishing properties of the scimitar Icingdeath, he managed to defeat the demon, banishing it to the abyss for one hundred years.

After this, Drizzt follows Akar Kessel to the Crystal Tower, where he has to go through Akar's own personal army of orcs and goblins to reach him. he does exactly that.

In The Thousand Orcs, Drizzt faces orcs, goblins and drow, and wins....I think i posted the pic in the last post eh?

7. Conclusions:

While Drizzt may be a trite character, a selling character, a commercial item, R. A. Salvatore has incredible writing skills. And Drizzt has the feats to match (obviously).
After reading about these feats (there are more but i'm too lazy), how can anyone say "He's just a drow, Blade is superhuman" ?

ps:

This guy:

http://www.cineclub.de/images/2005/01/blade-trinity-2.jpg

is NOT this guy:

http://www.newsarama.com/DC/Superman/Kerschl-Superman.jpg

~wickerman~

Laminator_X
While I wouldn't say that strengh "counts for squat," part of the point of being a very skilled fighter is so that you can beat less skilled opponents even if they have physical advantages. Having superior skill entails knowing how to overcome your opponent's advantages.

If Blade can get his hands on Drizzt, the Drow is in real trouble. Short of that I envision him being sliced to ribbons. A couple of precise cuts to key tendons...

Wickerman
Originally posted by Laminator_X
While I wouldn't say that strengh "counts for squat," part of the point of being a very skilled fighter is so that you can beat less skilled opponents even if they have physical advantages. Having superior skill entails knowing how to overcome your opponent's advantages.

If Blade can get his hands on Drizzt, the Drow is in real trouble. Short of that I envision him being sliced to ribbons. A couple of precise cuts to key tendons...

The moment Blade's hands reach Drizzt's neck, or any other part of his body, he won't HAVE any hands laughing out loud

That being said, i agree with your point. This is like saying Cap. America should lose to anyone stronger than him .......

~wickerman~

Dreampanther
Wow, you know, I haven't actually read Drizzt in years, but after your awesome description, Wickerman, I can't wait to get home and dig them up again!

Good job, my man!

Wickerman
Originally posted by Dreampanther
Wow, you know, I haven't actually read Drizzt in years, but after your awesome description, Wickerman, I can't wait to get home and dig them up again!

Good job, my man!

No problem thumb up I've been in hundreds of RP's, and after seeing people try to copy Salvatore's ranger drow over and over and over and over again, i became fed up with it. But after cooling down, i always remember i love both Salvatore's and Cunningham's writings thumb up

I was actually once going to pit Asmodeus vs. Mephisto from Marvel, but the stats given to Asmodeus in the book of vile darkness are disgustingly low. If we go by the books, he's at least as strong as Mephistopheles from Marvel.

I think it was in "Elminster in Hell" that Mystra, the Goddess of Magic threw an incredibly powerful spell at him and he just brushed it off, then turned the skies of the 9 layers of hell into blood evil face

~wickerman~

Dreampanther
To Orestes:

One of my favourite quotes from Scrubs, the first series, where the maintenance guy took out the wimpy lead character and he walks off sulking:

"Hey, where are you going? Stay and play! Stay and play!"

Look, I am just teasing you, but here is a serious question: How many of the Drizzt books did you read? And where did you pick up your admiration/ information regarding Blade? From the Wesley Snipes movies?

Because, don't misunderstand me, I loved Blade, the first movie (the only thing that made Blade 3 worthwhile for me was Ryan Reynolds, as for Blade 2, some of the fighting scenes were kinda cool, I like most of Wesley Snipes' action movies) but while initially the idea of pitting Blade against Drizzt must have seemed like a great inspiration, by now, putting everything in perspective, you must admit, that Blade is just a teeny-weeny bit outclassed.

Don't you agree?

And there is no shame in admitting defeat against Drizzt. Demons, wizards, dark gods, dragons, giants, all have had to kneel before Drizzt (usually to look for their heads).

Wickerman
To Orestes:

One of my favourite quotes from Scrubs, the first series, where the maintenance guy took out the wimpy lead character and he walks off sulking:

"Hey, where are you going? Stay and play! Stay and play!"

Look, I am just teasing you, but here is a serious question: How many of the Drizzt books did you read? And where did you pick up your admiration/ information regarding Blade? From the Wesley Snipes movies?

Because, don't misunderstand me, I loved Blade, the first movie (the only thing that made Blade 3 worthwhile for me was Ryan Reynolds, as for Blade 2, some of the fighting scenes were kinda cool, I like most of Wesley Snipes' action movies) but while initially the idea of pitting Blade against Drizzt must have seemed like a great inspiration, by now, putting everything in perspective, you must admit, that Blade is just a teeny-weeny bit outclassed.

Don't you agree?

And there is no shame in admitting defeat against Drizzt. Demons, wizards, dark gods, dragons, giants, all have had to kneel before Drizzt (usually to look for their heads).

Very well put man thumb up

I'd just like to say that i never got to see Trinity, because
1. i was in the middle of exams when it came out
2. My download programs crashed......

But i saw the first two movies, and liked them. Especially the fight scenes in the 2nd movie. I like the character blade, and everything. Only time i felt like he was getting the short end of the stick was in the spiderman cartoon in the 90's. Bleh.... sick

Anyway, rant mode off stick out tongue

~wickerman~

Orestes
Irrelevant. And just to restate it, even though I know you vaguely allude to it yourself later: Drizzt's infravision does not work on his own magical darkness.

Yeah, I already knew he had a couple of swords.

Irrelevant. I've already read all about this myself anyway, so none of it is news to me. Who trained him and how great he was in a given city means nothing as far as this fight is concerned and is little more than a smokescreen.

It is either a swordfight only, or it is not a swordfight only. You can't have your cake and then eat it, too. Declaring that it's a swordfight only just to get Blade to not use his other weapons, then saying, "Oh but Drizzt can use his magical darkness because THAT weapon is innate!" is ridiculous.

Aside from that, Drizzt is trained to fight in the dark, yes, but he's not the only person who has ever learned how. For all we know, Blade may know that, too. But it shouldn't matter anyway because this is a SWORDS. ONLY. FIGHT.

No actually, it's a first-level barbarian rage. 4 Strength, 4 Constitution, -2 AC, etc. I have his writeup. wink Would you care for me to post it, just to prove my point?

It's not bad, but it isn't even enough to push his strength up to a level sufficient to be remotely close to equal to Blade's. It is, however, an excellent illustration of how important a strength boost can be in a fight, so thanks for that. wink

People have said the same thing about many real-life fighters. The difference is that -- once again -- unlike real-life fighters and also unlike Drizzt, Blade is at a level of speed sufficient to react to and sidestep a bullet on open ground after it is fired.

And Blade sent that whole collection of needles flying at Deacon all while he was still in mid-leap. The difference is that wasn't even a high feat for Blade, and it isn't even something that really stands out in your mind 'till you really stop to try to remember it. It was casual. Effortless. Other than the coin trick, this is just a history lesson. roll eyes (sarcastic) It's also meaningless because I already know this history, and it's further irrelevant to the discussion. But it's great if you're hoping to draw attention away from the raw facts.

Other than the part about how he did great in school, what is this even DOING here? What does it have to do with his ability as a swordfighter?? Yes, I've read Homeland as well, thanks. stick out tongue

Menzoberran, metropolis -- population, 32,000. I prefer to stick to hard data, thanks. wink

With outside help. They punked him out BADLY at first and nearly beat him even with help. This was NOT his finest hour. I read that book, thanks.

He also DID NOT WANT to kill Drizzt, and it later was made apparent that that was the case. Drizzt figured out Zak was still in there somewhere and got him to take over by leaving himself open to attack. Drizzt did not actually beat -- AND COULD NOT HAVE BEATEN -- the undead Zaknafein. That was made clear as well.

Not as impressive as it sounds, actually. Any exceptional character can do it. If Blade's world had yeti and giants, he'd be killing them, too. They're really not THAT powerful overall -- powerful compared to the average person, but so what??

Irrelevant.

Talking about this is like me talking about Blade taking out an entire lair of vampires. With the exception of the small fact that vampires are more powerful than giants -- especially Blade vampires -- it would be relevant ... how?

Actually, yeah, I think he could solo it. If Drizzt is fast enough, God knows he is.

No, I really don't. Because you haven't addressed the issue of comparative power at all. Really stop and think ... compare how you're arguing this fight to how every other fight on this forum is argued. Whenever ANYone says "Wolverine beat so-and-so" or "Elektra killed that guy," they ALWAYS go out of their way to explain why beating this person or that person was significant, if people wouldn't automatically know. Moreover, they probably at least try to show why "the other guy" couldn't have done it, too.

You've got Drizzt winning this battle and Drizzt winning that battle, but you really haven't proven that those battles were all that impressive compared to what Blade could achieve (and has achieved). You certainly haven't proven Blade couldn't have done them as well. You haven't proven ANYthing. All you've done is give a summary of the history of a character.

So in conclusion, I'd try further to respond to your argument, but you haven't really, well ... made one.

pimpmytoots
i think blade would take his sword and take drizz temperature with it. say ahh! maybe he wont do it orally now thats not a pretty picture

wolverine8888
I think drizz winns this he just as fast as blade and he deffently a beter fighter. plus we all know even if blade did start winning bruenor would cleave blades head off

DarkCrawler
Drizzt. He is faster and way more experienced.

Wickerman
Well first of all, thanks for using numbers like I asked roll eyes (sarcastic)

Irrelevant. And just to restate it, even though I know you vaguely allude to it yourself later: Drizzt's infravision does not work on his own magical darkness.

Stating his abilities, something you haven?t even done. All you?ve done so far has been give examples from the movies. Are you even aware of the comic book Blade? I wonder?.

Yeah, I already knew he had a couple of swords.

laughing Come on buddy, you?re embarrassing yourself?seriously though??if you?re going to ignore their magical aspect, you?re making an excellent point at proving how ignorant you are

Irrelevant. I've already read all about this myself anyway, so none of it is news to me. Who trained him and how great he was in a given city means nothing as far as this fight is concerned and is little more than a smokescreen.

Who trained him is irrelevant how? When you?re trained by Farmer Joe who?s got beef with vampires and has a crappy accent in comparison with the best skilled fighter in an entire city of fighters, I?d say it?s quite relevant

It is either a swordfight only, or it is not a swordfight only. You can't have your cake and then eat it, too. Declaring that it's a swordfight only just to get Blade to not use his other weapons, then saying, "Oh but Drizzt can use his magical darkness because THAT weapon is innate!" is ridiculous.

Aside from that, Drizzt is trained to fight in the dark, yes, but he's not the only person who has ever learned how. For all we know, Blade may know that, too. But it shouldn't matter anyway because this is a SWORDS. ONLY. FIGHT.

You?re funnier than I expected. Which part of innate don?t you understand? Fine, Drizzt doesn?t get the globes of darkness, Blade doesn?t get his healing factor. What? That?s innate, but hey, we don?t wanna take innate abilities into consideration??so I suppose Blade should be a normal human then eh?

You just keep insisting it?s a swords only fight don?t you? How many sword fights have you seen where one doesn?t use his innate abilities to the fullest? Not too many I assure you. As for Blade training to fight in complete darkness (darkness that he himself doesn?t see through), I?d like some proof of that. I?m not saying it doesn?t exist, I?d just like to see some.

No actually, it's a first-level barbarian rage. 4 Strength, 4 Constitution, -2 AC, etc. I have his writeup. Would you care for me to post it, just to prove my point?

It's not bad, but it isn't even enough to push his strength up to a level sufficient to be remotely close to equal to Blade's. It is, however, an excellent illustration of how important a strength boost can be in a fight, so thanks for that.

Contradicting yourself again? laughing Wow?..you CAN carry a debate all by yourself?.you?ll just keep contradicting yourself laughing out loud
No??you insisted on not using stats, seeing as how Blade?s different from DnD. So I put up the FEATS. Not the stats which were made for a handbook. Also, if you know your DnD you?ll know those aren?t canon while the books are considered canon. Therefore, your point is moot. The things he was able to do while being the hunter surpass a barbarian rage, but for game purposes, they changed that.

And no?..i?m really not proving how important a strength boost can be in a fight, because ALL his features were maxed out. Ya see, normally his incredible speed and agility are his main weapon. Far greater than his Strength. When he went into the Hunter mode, they got even moreso powerful. Therefore?..my point is that a boost in all domains, strength included, yeah, is great.

People have said the same thing about many real-life fighters. The difference is that -- once again -- unlike real-life fighters and also unlike Drizzt, Blade is at a level of speed sufficient to react to and sidestep a bullet on open ground after it is fired.

Actually blade did no such thing. Deacon frost did. And it was while he was STARING at Blade, so noticing him even SLIGHTLY moving his hand is time enough to dodge. Your point is moot. Funny thing is in the movies (which you love to use obviously) I?ve never seen Blade move so fast that you can?t see his hands moving??and in the books Drizzt is stated to move so fast that you can?t see his hands move?..hmmmm??how interesting eh?

And Blade sent that whole collection of needles flying at Deacon all while he was still in mid-leap. The difference is that wasn't even a high feat for Blade, and it isn't even something that really stands out in your mind 'till you really stop to try to remember it. It was casual. Effortless. Other than the coin trick, this is just a history lesson. It's also meaningless because I already know this history, and it's further irrelevant to the discussion. But it's great if you're hoping to draw attention away from the raw facts.

raw facts? Like the ones that you haven?t posted about Blade?

Actually, he WASN?T in mid-leap. He jumped, caught the needles in his hand, landed, tossed them into the air and just swung at them. Look again. That was a move any martial arts master can reproduce. Not something to be proud of, I agree erm . Not really superhumany like laughing out loud
As for Drizzt being able to do something like that at that age?..i think it?s quite relevant. But if you don?t see that, then, well?..ignorance is bliss

Other than the part about how he did great in school, what is this even DOING here? What does it have to do with his ability as a swordfighter?? Yes, I've read Homeland as well, thanks.

Actually, I just felt like typing in something about orgies?? shifty ??

Menzoberran, metropolis -- population, 32,000. I prefer to stick to hard data, thanks.

Your point being? You do realize population number is not the only thing defining a small country?s strength right? Or are you presuming I meant in terms of numbers?
Especially not when it comes to drow

With outside help. They punked him out BADLY at first and nearly beat him even with help. This was NOT his finest hour. I read that book, thanks.

Did he or did he come out winning out of a lair of psionic beings that the entire Underdark (and most of the surface world) is afraid of? How many times has Whistler bailed Blade out of crap hmmm? I doubt one can count that high.

He also DID NOT WANT to kill Drizzt, and it later was made apparent that that was the case. Drizzt figured out Zak was still in there somewhere and got him to take over by leaving himself open to attack. Drizzt did not actually beat -- AND COULD NOT HAVE BEATEN -- the undead Zaknafein. That was made clear as well.

Show me where it was made clear that he couldn?t beat the undead Zaknafein? Eh? It?s true that Zak was trying to hold back but didn?t really show it, reason why Drizzt was fighting him in the first place. Only at the end of the fight did Zak start to hold back and then killed himself. Drizzt was by no means losing my friend

Not as impressive as it sounds, actually. Any exceptional character can do it. If Blade's world had yeti and giants, he'd be killing them, too. They're really not THAT powerful overall -- powerful compared to the average person, but so what??

You know, I haven?t yet seen ONE single solid argument for Blade. I give fact after fact and all you say is ?Blade could do this too?. That?s quite belittling for the ?superhuman? blade to ?just be able? to keep up with a pathetic little drow
And I really doubt Blade would be taking down Yeti and giants. Give me feats to prove me otherwise.

Irrelevant.

Of COURSE it is roll eyes (sarcastic) Because it?s Drizzt beating someone a LOT stronger than he is. But wait?Blade?.nah?..logic has nothing to do with it

Talking about this is like me talking about Blade taking out an entire lair of vampires. With the exception of the small fact that vampires are more powerful than giants -- especially Blade vampires -- it would be relevant ... how?

And with the exception that the Blade vampires died if you pricked them with a silver needle. They burst into flames and died. Hell?..given the amount of garlic Bruenor eats, I?d say he breathes and kills a lair of Blade vampires. Not impressive in the least bit. And Blade vampires stronger than Giants? lol right?..and please don?t give me the mutant vampires example from Blade 2 where he used UV?..cause it?s just cheap. Also, since you like to say ?Blade could do it?, Drizzt could?ve done anything Blade does only faster. If you would?ve read instead of said ?Irrelevant? where I presented the weapons, you?d notice Icingdeath is imbued with silver

Actually, yeah, I think he could solo it. If Drizzt is fast enough, God knows he is.

laughing You have no idea what you?re saying do you? laughing Either that, or you just smoked some really REALLY good stuff. Seriously now?..you just said Blade can solo a Wyrm Dragon??. ??.Man??I can?t stop laughing?..

Wickerman
No, I really don't. Because you haven't addressed the issue of comparative power at all. Really stop and think ... compare how you're arguing this fight to how every other fight on this forum is argued. Whenever ANYone says "Wolverine beat so-and-so" or "Elektra killed that guy," they ALWAYS go out of their way to explain why beating this person or that person was significant, if people wouldn't automatically know. Moreover, they probably at least try to show why "the other guy" couldn't have done it, too.

You've got Drizzt winning this battle and Drizzt winning that battle, but you really haven't proven that those battles were all that impressive compared to what Blade could achieve (and has achieved). You certainly haven't proven Blade couldn't have done them as well. You haven't proven ANYthing. All you've done is give a summary of the history of a character.

If you think that was all just a history lesson, it just goes to prove how well you?ve read into my post?.which is close to zilch.
And I don?t HAVE to prove ANYTHING. I?ve spoken his feats. You have spoken of a few crappy feats from the movie series, that were absolutely pathetic. YOU haven?t proven why Blade would be able to do the things Drizzt has. You also haven?t presented enough Blade feats. You also haven?t addressed all of my points. You also haven?t given any sort of scenario. You also haven?t properly refuted a LOT of my points. And anyone can see that?..

~wickerman~

DarkCrawler
We Finns were able to fight for five years against Soviet Union in the Winter War...

There was 180,000 of us in the army...and 450,000 of them.

Finland remains independent country still...and there is no Soviet Union anymore.

It's not numbers that matter.

Wickerman
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
We Finns were able to fight for five years against Soviet Union in the Winter War...

There was 180,000 of us in the army...and 450,000 of them.

Finland remains independent country still...and there is no Soviet Union anymore.

It's not numbers that matter.

Finland rocks droolio
And yeah.....back in my WW2 studying days i was like "Woah.....dude.....awesome" . wink

Hey DC, didn't you make that Wolverine vs. Forgotten Realms characters thread?

~wickerman~

DigiMark007
Hehe....a good duscussion. Drizzt is used to improvising (it's what sets him apart from many other drow elves) so Blade's martial arts probably wouldn't give him much trouble.

Drizzt's most recent fight was with an orc-god-empowered orc by the name of Obould. The dude was easily Class 10, maybe more (F. Realms doesn't quantify strengths). And nearly as fast as Drizzt to boot. Drizzt changed his fighting style, got a bunch of hits in, and wasn't able to kill the dude but definitely got the better of the fight. He's no stranger to locking baldes with someone much stronger than him.

No one is arguing that if Blade wraps a hand around him, he's done. But between globes of darkness, his agility, and his skill, I'd say Drizzt is about as hard to touch as Spider-Man (that's right, I went there). No he's not as strong or durable, but he's built around speed and elusiveness. That would be enough to get him past Blade more often than not.

Magic_attack
Again Wicker seems to have everything covered concerning everyones favorite drow.

Wickerman
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Hehe....a good duscussion. Drizzt is used to improvising (it's what sets him apart from many other drow elves) so Blade's martial arts probably wouldn't give him much trouble.

Drizzt's most recent fight was with an orc-god-empowered orc by the name of Obould. The dude was easily Class 10, maybe more (F. Realms doesn't quantify strengths). And nearly as fast as Drizzt to boot. Drizzt changed his fighting style, got a bunch of hits in, and wasn't able to kill the dude but definitely got the better of the fight. He's no stranger to locking baldes with someone much stronger than him.

No one is arguing that if Blade wraps a hand around him, he's done. But between globes of darkness, his agility, and his skill, I'd say Drizzt is about as hard to touch as Spider-Man (that's right, I went there). No he's not as strong or durable, but he's built around speed and elusiveness. That would be enough to get him past Blade more often than not.

Absolutely correct. You're saying what i also said that was completely ignored by Orestes:

3. Combat strategies/knowledge:

Drizzt fights in the two long-weapon style common among drow warriors. He was trained by his father, Zaknafein, the best weapons master in Menzoberranzan and then, officially at Melee-Magthere, the Menzoberranyr school for warriors, and later, again by Zaknafein (or Zak as he was sometimes known) who helped him to hone his skills further. It was Zaknafein who taught Drizzt the movements to transcend the basics of the drow martial art, to think creatively about any fight. His technique was more about training one's muscles to respond, quickly and in perfect harmony, to the calls of the mind, and more importantly, to the calls of the imagination. He taught that improvisation, not rote responses, was what separated a warrior from a weapons master. Drizzt then surpassed his father, becoming the best fighter in Menzoberranzan.

Often, if Drizzt enters combat with an opponent he has to fight but isn't confident he can easily defeat he calls upon his innate Drow abilities to conjure up a globe of magical darkness that effectively blinds both himself and his opponent. He then begins to go into a self-imposed trance where, through a mixture of sheer skill, concentration and luck he often gains the upper hand, parrying enemy blades and making attacks that find holes in his opponent's defences that they, not used to fighting blind cannot possibly see coming. (hope you read this part, seeing as it's pretty important, stating how the globes are INNATE)

He actually FOUGHT Obould???? In the lone drow or where? I don't remember that happening.....Woah.....must've been pretty awesome droolio

~wickerman~

Wickerman
Originally posted by Magic_attack
Again Wicker seems to have everything covered concerning everyones favorite dorw.

Actually Drow is derived from the elven word Dhaerow which means traitor wink

~wickerman~

Magic_attack
Actually Drow is derived from the elven word Dhaerow which means traitor wink

~wickerman~

I knew that. wink

Wickerman
I knew that. wink

Do you know why they live in the Underdark though? evil face

~wickerman~

DigiMark007

He actually FOUGHT Obould???? In the lone drow or where? I don't remember that happening.....Woah.....must've been pretty awesome droolio

~wickerman~

Yeah, it was in the most recent book "The Two Blades." They actually had two fights, but the first was relatively short. Obould is magically enhanced enough that even when Drizzt wounded him considerably he didn't go down. A bunch of people intervened in fight #2 but given enough time Drizzt probably would have taken him out. So it wasn't a "win," but Drizzt was definitely the better of the two.

Cool fight, but still nowhere near the Drizzt/Entreri fight at the end of The Silent Blade....which has to be the best fight scene I've ever read.

Dreampanther
the Drizzt/Entreri fight at the end of The Silent Blade....which has to be the best fight scene I've ever read.

No lies. Can you remember how long that fight lasted, more or less? I seem to remember it lasting for quite some time. . .

DigiMark007
I've re-read it a few times...in my mind it's more grand than in the book, but it's still a damn good fight. Salvatore jumps back and forth from it a few times during the fight, but the actual fighting takes up the better part of a chapter....maybe 6-7 pages worth of fighting, give or take a few.

Salvatore isn't the greatest writer ever, but as an avid fantasy reader I can say he does one-on-one battles and small skirmishes better than any writer I've seen.

Wickerman
Yeah, it was in the most recent book "The Two Blades." They actually had two fights, but the first was relatively short. Obould is magically enhanced enough that even when Drizzt wounded him considerably he didn't go down. A bunch of people intervened in fight #2 but given enough time Drizzt probably would have taken him out. So it wasn't a "win," but Drizzt was definitely the better of the two.

Cool fight, but still nowhere near the Drizzt/Entreri fight at the end of The Silent Blade....which has to be the best fight scene I've ever read.

Awwwww......i havent read the two blades yet cry

But damn......that fight between him and Entreri is incredible. Seriously. Salvatore's fights, starting with Homeland and all the way to Lone Drow (since i haven't read the two blades) are simply amazing.....if someone could ever put them in motion......it would be incredible.

~wickerman~

Magic_attack
Do you know why they live in the Underdark though? evil face

~wickerman~

There is 2 sides to that story tho. The Drow have their tainted version and the Elves have their own. But u can enlighten me. Its been a long time since I read anything Forgotten Realms.

Magic_attack
Awwwww......i havent read the two blades yet cry

But damn......that fight between him and Entreri is incredible. Seriously. Salvatore's fights, starting with Homeland and all the way to Lone Drow (since i haven't read the two blades) are simply amazing.....if someone could ever put them in motion......it would be incredible.

~wickerman~

Ive always wanted to see either Drizzt series or Heroes of the Lance made in to a series of movies. That would be something....

Wickerman
There is 2 sides to that story tho. The Drow have their tainted version and the Elves have their own. But u can enlighten me. Its been a long time since I read anything Forgotten Realms.

Look around on the net for the Crown Wars thumb up

i think it says the story in there about how the drow created by lolth were disgustingly evil and such. However, Corellon forgave themcause of his love for Lolth. But when Lolth and the other drow gods tried to kill him, Corellon banished them all from Arvandor, including Mielikki (cry), and the Crown wars began between the normal elves and the drow, until the drow were driven into the Underdark.

~wickerman~

Wickerman
Ive always wanted to see either Drizzt series or Heroes of the Lance made in to a series of movies. That would be something....

Unless it had a brilliant director like Pete Jackson, it'd end up being crap.......remember the disaster known as Dungeons and Dragons.....god.....i felt sick for 3 days after watching that sick

~wickerman~

Dreampanther
Any of you guys read David Gemmell? Waylander, Druss the Legend, Skilgannon the Damned?

I like Salvatore, but I WORSHIP Gemmell

Dreampanther
Unless it had a brilliant director like Pete Jackson, it'd end up being crap.......remember the disaster known as Dungeons and Dragons.....god.....i felt sick for 3 days after watching that sick

~wickerman~

No lies

Magic_attack
Look around on the net for the Crown Wars thumb up

i think it says the story in there about how the drow created by lolth were disgustingly evil and such. However, Corellon forgave themcause of his love for Lolth. But when Lolth and the other drow gods tried to kill him, Corellon banished them all from Arvandor, including Mielikki (cry), and the Crown wars began between the normal elves and the drow, until the drow were driven into the Underdark.

~wickerman~

I will do that. thank you.

Magic_attack

~wickerman~

Agreed.
I think a lot of ppl base there thought of the Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance on what they saw in Dungeons and Dragons, Harry Potter and LOTR. That is the problem with these threads, they have never read the books. At least LOTR was close. Some things could have been done better imho.

Wickerman
Any of you guys read David Gemmell? Waylander, Druss the Legend, Skilgannon the Damned?

Didn't read any of those, started reading the Rigante series, my HDD died and i was too lazy to dl them again sad But he did look awesome.

Elaine Cunningham is also incredible. As is the Dark Tower series by .................................yep.....you guessed it.......S. King. Fantasy meets the Wild West...... = droolio

~wickerman~

DigiMark007
Nah, I don't read Gemmell. Salvatore, Brooks, C.J. Cherryeh (sp?), Robert Jordan, assorted others, etc. There's a lot out there, but Drizzt seems to be one of the most popular fantasy people.

Oh, and a new Entreri/Jarlaxle book is coming out (October I think). Apparently he's popular enough for his own series, sans Drizzt and the Icewind Dale posse.

Wickerman
Agreed.
I think a lot of ppl base there thought of the Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance on what they saw in Dungeons and Dragons, Harry Potter and LOTR. That is the problem with these threads, they have never read the books. At least LOTR was close. Some things could have been done better imho.

I didn't even know there was a Dragonlance movie. I shudder to think how they destroyed a beautiful campaign setting erm

Errrr......while looking for Crown wars, dig up the info you can get on the Blood wars, the wars between Demons and Devils evil face
I think those are most detailed inthe cunningham books.

~wickerman~

Wickerman
Nah, I don't read Gemmell. Salvatore, Brooks, C.J. Cherryeh (sp?), Robert Jordan, assorted others, etc. There's a lot out there, but Drizzt seems to be one of the most popular fantasy people.

Oh, and a new Entreri/Jarlaxle book is coming out (October I think). Apparently he's popular enough for his own series, sans Drizzt and the Icewind Dale posse.

Yep, i know. You should see people orgasming over that at wizards.com boards laughing out loud

Man, i cant wait to downlo.... i mean legitimately buy that book whistle

~wickerman~

Magic_attack

Havent read any by Gemmell.

I was reading pretty much Salvator, Weiss and Hickman, Jordan stuff.

Is that a trilogy or each an independant book?

Magic_attack
Yep, i know. You should see people orgasming over that at wizards.com boards laughing out loud

Man, i cant wait to downlo.... i mean legitimately buy that book whistle

~wickerman~

where do u down... I mean get your books from. If you dont mind me asking. PM it to me if you could.

Dreampanther
Once you've read Gemmell, you will cry because you didn't start sooner. The Rigante is cool, kinda, but remember these names:

Waylander the Slayer, who was cursed with the ability to be able to kill ANYTHING.

Druss the Legend, who remained a legend millenia after he died.

And Skilgannon the Damned, who was resurrected after he died because a world on the brink of destruction needed one of the most ruthless swordsmen that ever lived.

These are the books that changed fantasy for me.

Forever.

Wickerman
Once you've read Gemmell, you will cry because you didn't start sooner. The Rigante is cool, kinda, but remember these names:

Waylander the Slayer, who was cursed with the ability to be able to kill ANYTHING.

Druss the Legend, who remained a legend millenia after he died.

And Skilgannon the Damned, who was resurrected after he died because a world on the brink of destruction needed one of the most ruthless swordsmen that ever lived.

These are the books that changed fantasy for me.

Forever.

Will be sure to check for them in that case.

Man......i've got such a long list of books i wanna read and never get the chance to though sad

Magic: PM incoming shifty

~wickerman~

Dreampanther
Only the Rigante are a series, the rest like Waylander, Druss and Skilgannon each stand on their own, but because they were so popular, he wrote some more. They follow-up books do refer to events in the previous books, though

Wickerman
Only the Rigante are a series, the rest like Waylander, Druss and Skilgannon each stand on their own, but because they were so popular, he wrote some more. They follow-up books do refer to events in the previous books, though

"In chronological order of story-line:
Waylander (1986)
Waylander II: In the Realm of the Wolf (1992)
Hero in the Shadows (2000)
The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (1993) (Part 1 - early life of Druss)
The Legend of Deathwalker (1996)
The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (1993) (Part 2 - Battle of Skeln Pass)
White Wolf (2003)
Legend (1984)
The King Beyond the Gate (1985)
Quest for Lost Heroes (1990)
Winter Warriors (1996)
The Swords of Night and Day (2004)"

That sound about right to ya?

~wickerman~

Dreampanther
Yup, more or less.

The Swords of Night and Day is the sequel to Skilgannon the Damned.

Druss got so big (Legend, remember?) that I think even Gemmell himself got confused with the chronology towards the end (lol).

Just start with the one where he is still young, and they torch his village and kidnap his sweetheart, and he goes and gets his axe.

And then follow the blood-trail

Wickerman
And then follow the blood-trail

laughing Classic laughing

~wickerman~

Orestes
This will be my last post on this topic and this debate in general, as I'm positively livid ... and that's extremely unusual for me in any such discussion (I normally just do this stuff for kicks and don't feel anything about it at all). In a moment, I'll explain WHY I'm angry.

First, yes, I know there was a comic book Blade. I also know that the movies effectively revived AND revised him, so yes, I'm going by the movies.

Second, Wickerman, I did a little research. I said to myself, "Hey, didn't I once thumb through a book wherein Errtu was taking on Drizzt's entire party at once and practically beating them?" That didn't seem to fit, somehow, with Drizzt whipping Errtu solo (or just with Guen).

But hey, guess what? I happen to do part-time work in a bookstore! How handy. It just so happens I was able to flip through The Crystal Shard today -- as, no, I didn't read all of the Drizzt books ... only the Dark Elf Trilogy. So I needed to check up on some claims you made.

And what did I find out about the Drizzt/Errtu fight? That it went something like this:

1. Once the talking stops and the fighting is about to start, Errtu uses his power to burst into flame. Drizzt is immediately having difficulty dealing with the heat and the brightness.

2. Errtu moves to swing his sword, and Drizzt braces himself to defend, but Guen (his panther) leaps onto the demon's arm. Errtu shoves Guen against the wall in an effort to dislodge it but otherwise focuses on Drizzt ... continuing to fight with a panther attached to his arm.

3. Errtu swings his whip instead, "too quickly for the drow, still reeling from the sudden burst of brightness of the flames, to deflect the blow or dodge aside." He then yanks Drizzt off of his feet with ease.

4. Errtu drags Drizzt into his flames. Drizzt knows he's thoroughly beaten and has no way to respond and even flatly states, "And so I die."

5. The flames don't burn Drizzt. In fact, after a moment, they go out. Neither Errtu nor Drizzt immediately know why, but it turns out that a new scimitar Drizzt happened to pick up earlier did it.

6. Drizzt tries to attack with his other scimitar, but it does nothing. He attacks with the one that saved him from the flames (easily hitting since Errtu doesn't believe he has any reason to try to block it), and since it has the magic needed to do it, he cuts into Errtu's knee ... surprising both of them.

7. Drizzt then follows up on a surprised and crippled opponent with a blow to the chest, banishing him. Yay.

That's your epic "Drizzt beat Errtu" battle, right there, in a nutshell. Bottom line? He basically struck an opponent in the knee who wasn't trying to block the attack, then stabbed the crippled and surprised opponent in the chest. *I* could have done that, for God's sake!

Meanwhile, someone was trying to compare him to Spider-Man in terms of dodging ability? My ***. He didn't even dodge ONE ATTACK. He only even SURVIVED because (a) Errtu was playing with him, (b) he happened by blind freaking luck to have picked up a magical toy that could save him, and (c) he was then able to do the swordplay equivalent of a sucker punch with said toy.

Not only does that battle NOT highlight his swordfighting or dodging ability (if anything, he looks a little pathetic in it), but it can't even be used to show how smart he is. It's not like he planned it that way -- he was as surprised by what happened as Errtu. He just blundered into a technical win. It would be like having Superman kick you around and then pick you up by the scruff of the neck, only to find that you somehow managed to pick up a big lump of kryptonite earlier without even realizing what you'd found.

And what makes me angry here is that you, Wickerman, represented it as though Drizzt beat Errtu straight up, when instead, he blundered into a win through sheer dumb luck. That's even more of a misrepresentation than people claiming Batman can easily defeat the JLA just because he was able to come up with a way to beat them after YEARS of ONE-SIDED prep-time. In fact, it's so much of a misrepresentation, I would instead call it a LIE.

As for the giants Drizzt fought with Wulgar (AND Guen!) ...? Sure, they won, but they cheated like hell. They did things like surprise them and fling powder into their eyes, sneak up behind a group and hamstring the last one in line ... etc. And when they did end up in a face-to-face fight, Drizzt got knocked down, and it was flatly stated that he was about to be dealt a death-blow by the giant facing him when Guen jumped in and saved his behind. That blow that would have killed Drizzt, by the way, would probably have been enough to briefly stun a guy like Blade who can survive having his head used to knock out a chunk of a pillar.

So once again, a misrepresentation. Not to the extent of the flat-out BS you presented with the Errtu fight, but ... still, a misrepresentation. Drizzt and friends didn't beat the giants in ANYthing like a fair fight, which is what counts if we're talking about pitting Blade against Drizzt in a straight-up swordfight.

And that's it. I'm done here. I don't like being lied to, and I'm not going to continue to waste my time researching every claim that's made about Drizzt ... which I'd clearly have to do if this continued.

Dreampanther
Uh, I think perhaps you forgot the second time they fought? Or perhaps you just did a little "selective" reading, which is very convenient, but unfortunately for you, we actually read ALL the books, didn't just page through them to find stuff to support our one-sided views.

So how do you explain Drizzt figuring out his spinning technique, WHILE IN COMBAT, and then eventually beat Errtu so bad he ran away?

Read MORE! Watch less Hollywood.

Quoting Hollywood at me REALLY impresses me. Wow. What Hollywood says MUST be canon. I mean, they don't do it for the sensation, right?

Orestes
Yeah, I forgot about that, especially since it wasn't in that book at all. wink Maybe it was in a later book; I dunno. So what? With a weapon that could counter Errtu's flames and injure him as well, I'm sure Blade would have no problem with him at all. Who the hell cares?

And yes, I said I wasn't going to post again, but I just wanted to add that I found where Wickerman got his entire post from. Here it is ... he nearly copied it word-for-word, and at certain points, he DID:

http://www.answers.com/topic/drizzt-do-urden

Sad.

Magic_attack
Wicker- Dont you know that you are supposed to post a bibliography with all your posts. mad

DarkCrawler
Finland rocks droolio
And yeah.....back in my WW2 studying days i was like "Woah.....dude.....awesome" . wink

Hey DC, didn't you make that Wolverine vs. Forgotten Realms characters thread?

~wickerman~

It does big grin.

Yeah, I made the thread. Drizzt is uber.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.