Let's Talk Argento..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cinemaddiction
So, as we all know, "Susperia" is probably Dario Argento's best known piece. Anyone else a fan of..well..any of his other work?

I rented "The Church" which he produced, and was directed by his understudy Michele Soavi. It was a VERY coherent and well put together film, in a time where everyone else was just hacking and slashing. It had a very unique storyline, some great characters, and of course the kills were top notch. A few days earlier, I saw "Opera", which wasn't as entertaining, but again, was original in premise, pretty solid overall, just a little drawn out.

I purchased "Deep Red" on a blind buy, and was considering hunting down "Tenebrae". Are his newer films like "The Card Player" worth considering a view, or is he honestly past his prime?

BackFire
Personally, I've tried to watch some of argentos other films, and I just couldn't get into them, they're visually beautiful and a feast for the eyes, his use of visual metaphors and symbolism is second to none, but the films just don't hold me. Even susperia isn't a favorite of mine, I can watch it, and I can appreciate it for what it does and I recognize it as a masterpiece, just something about his films doesn't hold me like some of my other favorite horror films do.

Some of his newer films are, honestly, just bad. I couldn't even finish whatever the last one he made was.

Deano
Suspiria is more style over substance. but it is still very eerie and one of argentos best.

My all time favourite argento films are Tenebrae and Deep Red, brilliant films in my opinion.

i also reccomend 'Phenomena' which is about young girl, with the ability to communicate with insects. she is transferred to an exclusive Swiss boarding school, where her unusual capability might help solve a string of murders.

Another Argento film worth checking out is 'Terror at the Opera'
The scene that makes me cringe is the one where the killer puts some spikes under the girls eyes so she cant close them, but she cant help but close them and her eyes start to bleed! There is also a cool gore scene near the end.

The Church is very cool and is supposed to be the third demons film. It kept me entertained.

also check out 'Two evil eyes' it shows two horror tales based on short stories by Edgar Allan Poe directed by two famous horror directors, George A. Romero and Dario Argento. its a decent watch

so cine, definetly check out tenebrae and deep red.

my fav argento flicks in order

1: tenebre
2: deep red
3: suspiria
4: phenomena
5: terror at the opera
6: the church

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/2770/tenerbre3rm.gif
Sig in honour

zombieman
Has anyone seen 'Inferno'? It was a semi-sequel to Suspira, quite difficult to follow because its more like a piece of art than coherent movie. There is some effective use of sound and colour, not much in the way of dialogue or any kind of unfolding storyline though. Personally, I found it all a touch pretentious, but if you're a fan of 'pure' cinema than its worth a look, just don't expect it to be another Suspiria.

'The Card Player' is VERY different to any other Argento film I have seen, favoring substance over style for once. Its more of a suspense piece than a horror, with the storyline itself akin to that of a below-par CSI episode. Overall, I didn't really like the movie enough to recommend it, but the acting was strong (unusal for an Argento movie, I know) and there was some impresssive camera work.

MildPossession
I didn't enjoy Card Player at all, terrible film with a cringeworthy ending, the parts tied to the railway line . Not one to rush to see. The acting was decent, but the dubbing didn't help at all, is there a subtitled version of The Card Player? anyone? I'm use to dubbing on Argento films, but couldn't stand them in this film for some reason.

Card Player aside, I am a massive fan of Dario Argento's work, excellent films.

I enjoyed a lot:

Deep Red
Trauma
Susperia
Phenomena
The Stendhal Syndrome
The Bird With The Crystal Plumage
Cat o Nine Tails
Tenebrae

Out of most of his films, Four Flies on Grey Velvet is the one I haven't see yet. Worth checking out?

Inferno is worth checking out if you want to see the second film in the Three Mother's Trilogy.

Oo god almost forgot Sleepless, really really enjoyed this film of his too.

Can't wait to see Do You Like Hitchcock?

jaden101
i'm not a huge fan of argento but i know a man who is

here's a link to the piece he wrote...

http://www.cinephiliacs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1716&hl=argento

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.