Math Lovers Unite. Explain To Everyone How Fast Surfer Really Is.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

long pig
This is a page if from I.G #4, where he makes a mad dash for the I.G and...fails.

Anyway, Surfer and Warlock are over a lightyear away waiting for their moment, Surfer is using his super vision to watch Thanos. As soon as he gets a chance, he goes for it.

What happens here is insane, Surfer flies OVER a lightyear in LESS than the time it takes for Thanos to throw a punch he's already cocked. Probably around 3 seconds at most.

So, you math wizards, exactly HOW fast is Surfer flying here?

One Lightyear in THREE seconds?
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/5497/theinfinitygauntlet04436iy.th.jpg

Mindship
about 11,000,000 c

Actually, he's probably throwing the punch in a fraction of a second (how long does it take us ordinary mortals to throw a punch--1/10 of a second?), in which case Surfer is probably doing something like 320,000,000 c.

This is almost warp factor 700, based on ST-TOS scale.

long pig
So, if Surfer focuses on speed alone, not just blasting, he's capable of going near 350 million times the speed of light?

Holy damn.

Mindship
In the Superman/Silver Surfer crossover, it shows SS traversing lightyear after lightyear in seconds.

This implies a tremendous amount of power on SS's part, I mean, we're talking probably like equivalent of a star's output. It's so easy to write/draw a character doing something like this (remember Superman, Wonder Woman et al towing the Moon?), but when you stop and try and translate such a feat into real numbers, sometimes it strains the bounds of belief, so to speak.

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by Mindship
In the Superman/Silver Surfer crossover, it shows SS traversing lightyear after lightyear in seconds.

This implies a tremendous amount of power on SS's part, I mean, we're talking probably like equivalent of a star's output. It's so easy to write/draw a character doing something like this (remember Superman, Wonder Woman et al towing the Moon?), but when you stop and try and translate such a feat into real numbers, sometimes it strains the bounds of belief, so to speak.

well it does as the neare to C you get the more energy you need in normal space untill everything goes infinite. If surfer is warping space this is slightly different, but unless we can work outhow much exactly he is shortening space/time in front of him and extending it behind him - no sum is possible.

Keep the faith I did a much more detailed thread on realtivistic problems and space travel a while back.

Keep the faithsmile

Stay Whirly rock

yahman
Originally posted by Whirlysplatt
well it does as the neare to C you get the more energy you need in normal space untill everything goes infinite. If surfer is warping space this is slightly different, but unless we can work outhow much exactly he is shortening space/time in front of him and extending it behind him - no sum is possible.

Keep the faith I did a much more detailed thread on realtivistic problems and space travel a while back.

Keep the faithsmile

Stay Whirly rock

Indeed laughing

Mindship
Whirl, I couldn't agree more: no sum is possible.

With regard to the Albucciere (spelling?) warp drive, it was pointed out that the amount of power even to do this would be "incalculable." After all, it takes the mass of a planet or star just to warp space to a normal degree, let alone to warp drive levels. So unless the Surfer is using techniques we can't even imagine--entirely possible--the amount of power required--either STL or FTL--perhaps would involve the resources of at least a Type II civilization.

Whirlysplatt
Whirl, I couldn't agree more: no sum is possible.

With regard to the Albucciere (spelling?) warp drive, it was pointed out that the amount of power even to do this would be "incalculable." After all, it takes the mass of a planet or star just to warp space to a normal degree, let alone to warp drive levels. So unless the Surfer is using techniques we can't even imagine--entirely possible--the amount of power required--either STL or FTL--perhaps would involve the resources of at least a Type II civilization.

undoubtedly the problem is things like Vpoint just do not produce enough energy - in fact V point produces a tiny amount according to some confused Yup would have to be totally alien methods, outside our Physics.

smile

roughrider
And to think - The Runner is arguably FASTER than him. whistle

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by roughrider
And to think - The Runner is arguably FASTER than him. whistle

Yes its ridiculous isn't it RR

long pig
Ya lost me at Albuquerque Warp Drive. sad

Quick Freeze
the runner is faster than him
i recall someone saying in the forum that the runner was looking for people to race and he found surfer, when the surfer went as fast as he could the runner was taunting him at how slow he was in comparison.

but runner is an elder and theyre essential gods so there's not much science in that at all. . .

Mindship
Originally posted by long pig
Ya lost me at Albuquerque Warp Drive. sad

Try this.

http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/A/Alcubdrive.html

roll eyes (sarcastic)

long pig
Hey, don't get all uppity with me because I don't know what the Alcubierre drive is.

Sheesh.

Mindship
My apologies, no offense intended. Just tryin' to be helpful.

Swanky-Tuna
about 11,000,000 c

Actually, he's probably throwing the punch in a fraction of a second (how long does it take us ordinary mortals to throw a punch--1/10 of a second?), in which case Surfer is probably doing something like 320,000,000 c.

This is almost warp factor 700, based on ST-TOS scale.
Doesn't it cap out at warp 10? Ten being infinite speed and at warp 9.9~ the speed ramps up exponentially for every extra decimal gained of warp. Kind of like the richter scale.

Juntai
Originally posted by Quick Freeze
the runner is faster than him
i recall someone saying in the forum that the runner was looking for people to race and he found surfer, when the surfer went as fast as he could the runner was taunting him at how slow he was in comparison.

but runner is an elder and theyre essential gods so there's not much science in that at all. . . If that's the cosmic race, Flash was smoking all of them.

Mindship
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna
Doesn't it cap out at warp 10? Ten being infinite speed and at warp 9.9~ the speed ramps up exponentially for every extra decimal gained of warp. Kind of like the richter scale.

You are quite correct. Warp factors for the new Treks were based on the scale you're talking about, and I havent the foggiest idea how they are calculated (something to do with logarithms). That's why I referred to the old-style WFs: they were easy - warp factor # = # cubed.

I think the warp-10-top-limit warp factors were used so fans couldnt say "Hey, but at that speed, such-and-such distance should take such-and-such time!" The old way limited writers in a way the old Marvel strength classes did, especially with writers who did not do their homework.

long pig
Who else in either Universes can duplicate 350 million times the speed of light?

Juntai
Is there a previous scan? Because in that one it doesn't look like he went but a short distance of space during the punch throwing.

long pig
That's because to Surfer, a lightyear is but a short distance.

He went from a standstill to 350millionx lightspeed. I don't know anyone other than the Runner who can even attempt to try that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.