In relation to Phoenix expertise :) how Kabbalah should be spelt

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Whirlysplatt
Our Phoenix expert confused believes the "Kabbalah" explains marvel hierarchy in relation to the Phoenix but no one spells it as he does can anything else his essays say be taken seriously smile I say no

Taken from "Understanding the Kabbalah"

What does the word "Kabbalah" mean, and how should I spell it?
The word "Kabbalah" is derived from the root "to receive, to accept", and in many cases is used synonymously with "tradition".

No-one with the slightest interest in Kabbalah can fail to notice that there are many alternative spellings of the word, the two most common being Kabbalah and Qabalah. Cabala, Qaballah, Qabala, Kaballah (and so on) are also seen. The reason for this is that some letters in the Hebrew alphabet have more than one representation in the English alphabet, and the same Hebrew letter can be written either as K or Q (or sometimes even C). Some authors choose one spelling, and some choose the other. Some (the author for example) will even mix Q and K in the same document, spelling Kabbalah and Qlippoth (as opposed to Qabalah and Klippoth!). A random selection of modern Hebrew phrase books and dictionaries use the K variant to represent the letter Kuf, so anyone who claims that the "correct" spelling is "Qabalah" is on uncertain ground.

There has been a tendency for non-Jewish books on Kabbalah published this century to use the spelling "Qabalah". Jewish publications are relatively uniform in preferring the spelling "Kabbalah".

The author takes the view (based on experience) that the spelling "Kabbalah" is recognised by a wider selection of people than the "Qabalah" variant, and for this purely pragmatic reason it is used throughout the FAQ.

he consistently spells it as in the post below

Originally posted by GalacticStorm
He uses Kaballah terms to refer to Phoenix and her actions. I simply explain them for all he need to know. No didnt from someone well versed in science explaining a function of Iron Mans armour described on panel.

Whirly read up on Kaballah (well one interpretation anyway LOL)

I suggest you google the 2 spellings smile

and see whose right smile If his wrong on how its spelt how can anything else be taken seriously.

He preys on your ignorance.

Keep the faith smile

Stay Whirly rock

remember herd behaviour is a comical thing - challenge your ideas smile

kgkg
Originally posted by Whirlysplatt
Our Phoenix expert confused believes the "Kabbalah" explains marvel hiearchy in relation to the Phoenix but noone spells it as he does can anything else his essays say be taken seriously smile I say no

Taken from "Understanding the Kabbalah"

What does the word "Kabbalah" mean, and how should I spell it?
The word "Kabbalah" is derived from the root "to receive, to accept", and in many cases is used synonymously with "tradition".

No-one with the slightest interest in Kabbalah can fail to notice that there are many alternative spellings of the word, the two most common being Kabbalah and Qabalah. Cabala, Qaballah, Qabala, Kaballah (and so on) are also seen. The reason for this is that some letters in the Hebrew alphabet have more than one representation in the English alphabet, and the same Hebrew letter can be written either as K or Q (or sometimes even C). Some authors choose one spelling, and some choose the other. Some (the author for example) will even mix Q and K in the same document, spelling Kabbalah and Qlippoth (as opposed to Qabalah and Klippoth!). A random selection of modern Hebrew phrase books and dictionaries use the K variant to represent the letter Kuf, so anyone who claims that the "correct" spelling is "Qabalah" is on uncertain ground.

There has been a tendency for non-Jewish books on Kabbalah published this century to use the spelling "Qabalah". Jewish publications are relatively uniform in preferring the spelling "Kabbalah".

The author takes the view (based on experience) that the spelling "Kabbalah" is recognised by a wider selection of people than the "Qabalah" variant, and for this purely pragmatic reason it is used throughout the FAQ.

he consistanly spells it as in the post below

and see whose right smile If his wrong on how its spelt how can anything else be taken seriously.

Keep the faith smile

Stay Whirly rock

remeber herd behaviour is a comical thing - challenge your ideas smile smart thumb up

Scoobless

And then look up "irony".... it'll help you see the humour of someone saying they can't take someone else seriously due to spelling mistakes.... WHILST making his own spelling mistakes in the same sentence.

big grin

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by Scoobless
and then look up "irony".... it'll help you see the humour of someone saying they can't take someone else seriously due to spelling mistakes.... WHILST making his own spelling mistakes in the same sentence

big grin

indeed laughing out loud but Kabbalah is spelt right smile

laughing out loud

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by kgkg
smart thumb up

smile

Swanky-Tuna
Whirlysplatt: King of Unnecessity

Scoobless
indeed laughing out loud but Kabbalah is spelt right smile

laughing out loud

perhaps... but other words were spelled wrong

just found it amusing

stick out tongue

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna

laughing out loud

Whirlysplatt
perhaps... but other words were spelled wrong

just found it amusing

It is amusing, no spell checker works on my mac sadly for KMC - but answer me if he is not using the accepted spelling for his big theory how seriously can it be taken scoobs smile

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna

I just realised your back smile nice to see you Swanky smile

Scoobless
to be honest, i think using any non-comic text/fiction to explain comic powers to be a bit silly

Whirlysplatt
to be honest, i think using any non-comic text/fiction to explain comic powers to be a bit silly

As do I its a completely ludicrous thing to do.

GalacticStorm
Please dont play along with this game. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Basically Whirly read up on Kaballah in an attempt to catch me out (yes i know quite sad really). He found one interpretation out of a multitude (if only he'd asked) and thought he knew it all. This interpretation was different to what id been saying so Whirly thought he'd caught me out. Whirly then made out that he'd been reading about it for years and that he'd been laughing at my ignorance for months now. I took one quick look at his post and i burst into a fit of laughter. From the basic grasp of the principles and the fact that he believed there was only one was to spell Kaballah i knew the man was a novice who got busy with google the night before LOL. laughing

It was me who pointed out the flaws in his understanding and I who initially posted some of the correct ways to spell the word. Just check here to see this for yourselves:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=301985&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=21

It seems Whirlys pride took a bit of a battering after i unveiled to the forum that despite the pretence that he is well read he is nothing but a google wh*re. embarrasment eek!

Through this thread and others in my absence it seems he's quickly tried to get his version of events across to as many people as possible as a way of saving face. embarrasment

Visit the appropriate thread (given above) and join in with the hysterics. It was a long time coming. laughing out loud

Khellendros
EDIT: Nevermind, not like it would have gotten through anyways.

Scoobless
It seems Whirlys pride took a bit of a battering after i unveiled to the forum that despite the pretence that he is well read he is nothing but a google wh*re. embarrasment eek!

do you think you have to have read the Kaballah (i don't care how it's spelled) to be well read?.... i haven't read it.... and i'm pretty sure the vast majority of people i know haven't read it... and some of them go through a couple of books a week

GalacticStorm
do you think you have to have read the Kaballah (i don't care how it's spelled) to be well read?.... i haven't read it.... and i'm pretty sure the vast majority of people i know haven't read it... and some of them go through a couple of books a week

I never said that or meant that as you very well know, you said that Scoob. wink

Creshosk
So much for not getting personal about the attacks there Whirly. . .

Also you should understand that there usually is not one set method for romanizing non-roman alphabet based languges.

Enforcing your opinon of "what the proper spelling is" when using the roman alphabet for these langauges is a bit condesending.

For example in transliterating japanese into roman characters there are a number of different romanization systems in use; the three main ones are Hepburn, Kunrei-shiki, and Nihon-shiki. But not one of them is "more correct" than any of the others. Which is best to use is merely opinion. As is how to romanize other langauges, such as Arabic or Hebrew.

GalacticStorm
Originally posted by Creshosk
So much for not getting personal about the attacks there Whirly. . .

Also you should understand that there usually is not one set method for romanizing non-roman alphabet based languges.

Enforcing your opinon of "what the proper spelling is" when using the roman alphabet for these langauges is a bit condesending.

For example in transliterating japanese into roman characters there are a number of different romanization systems in use; the three main ones are Hepburn, Kunrei-shiki, and Nihon-shiki. But not one of them is "more correct" than any of the others. Which is best to use is merely opinion. As is how to romanize other langauges, such as Arabic or Hebrew.

Exactly.

Having been proved wrong and with no counter Whirly had to resort to criticising my spelling of the word in an attempt to save face. When i then pointed out that there were many different ways to spell the word in my absence Whirly made a number of these threads in an effort to save face.

This is no competition. You brought forward queries i answered them. Dont react with spite thats completely against the true spirit of a forum. smile

Lets all be grown ups here ok? smile

Creshosk

Keep the faith smile

Stay Whirly rock

remember herd behaviour is a comical thing - challenge your ideas smile I googled it, as you said, and got a very interesting result.

http://66.218.69.11/search/cache?ei=UTF-8& amp;p=Qabalah+variant%2C+and+for+this+purely+pragm
atic+reason+it+is+used+throughout+the+FAQ.%22&u=www.digital-brilliance.com/kab/faq.htm&w=& quot;qabalah+variant+and+for+this+purely+pragmatic
+reason+it+is+used+throughout+the+faq"&d=N-xgzGFULhTv&icp=1&.intl=us

So "who is" right then? Did you really comprehensively read the FAQ you got most of your post from?

It's saying that there are multiple ways to spell it. I thought it was odd that you talk about how there are multiple ways to spell it, and then go off talking about "who is" right.

GalacticStorm
I googled it, as you said, and got a very interesting result.

http://66.218.69.11/search/cache?ei=UTF-8& amp;p=Qabalah+variant%2C+and+for+this+purely+pragm
atic+reason+it+is+used+throughout+the+FAQ.%22&u=www.digital-brilliance.com/kab/faq.htm&w=& quot;qabalah+variant+and+for+this+purely+pragmatic

So "who is" right then? Did you really comprehensively read the FAQ you got most of your post from?

It's saying that there are multiple ways to spell it. I thought it was odd that you talk about how there are multiple ways to spell it, and then go off talking about "who is" right.

Exactly yes

Hit_and_Miss
Hang on..... So because he might spell it one way the rest of his views are incorrect???

...from a self confessed dyslexic you sure don't help your own view there Whirly...

Plus I've come to notice that when ever a thread seems to be going badly for you, another thread on similar lines pops up... Is this a diversionary tac tic?? Cause you seem to loose the new thread that pops up as well!

Whirlysplatt
laughing out loud I always know how to spell my subject matter laughing out loud

"Kabbalah"

I guess I know why his called hit and miss - because he misses the point smile

its Kabbalah and that means tha the "Kabalah" of GS's is drivel
Pillars are not a hierarchy laughing out loud they are all intervonnected and part of each other.
Never use religion to try and explain comics, its like using science it does not hold up.
smile Missed the pointsmile

Whirlysplatt
I googled it, as you said, and got a very interesting result.

Drivel smile

Whirlysplatt
Methinks they dost protest to much one main spelling the rest is drivelsmile

Expertise laughing out loud

no longer worth discussing its been shown as drivel.

The ignorant can be fooled because they are ignorant laughing out loud

GalacticStorm
laughing out loud I always know how to spell my subject matter laughing out loud

"Kabbalah"

I guess I know why his called hit and miss - because he misses the point smile

its Kabbalah and that means tha the "Kabalah" of GS's is drivel
Pillars are not a hierarchy laughing out loud they are all intervonnected and part of each other.
Never use religion to try and explain comics, its like using science it does not hold up.
smile Missed the pointsmile

The funny thing is with each attempt to ridicule my perfectly acceptable spelling Whirly quotes my spelling differently. Even funnier is that theyre all perefectly acceptable so Whirly is making a big fuss out of nothing.

Yeah you were proved wrong but to go to all this trouble to save face? embarrasment sad

One interpretation doesnt not equal he sum total of a religion. I soon showed you that didnt i mate? laughing out loud

Hit_and_Miss
Trying to hide your own mistake behind a small inconsistency in the spelling, due to "Popular vs historic" is lame

I get your whole "I'm whirly, I can't lose..." attitude, I showed in the Holocaust threads you made up... you lost then, and your losing now...

Why don't you start another thread??? its about that time...

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by Hit_and_Miss
Trying to hide your own mistake behind a small inconsistency in the spelling, due to "Popular vs historic" is lame

I get your whole "I'm whirly, I can't lose..." attitude, I showed in the Holocaust threads you made up... you lost then, and your losing now...

Why don't you start another thread??? its about that time...

not really laughing out loud

but it gets to you smile

same old retorts just another one with no answers smile

What do you think the point of the holocaust threads was laughing out loud your not very bright are you smile

GalacticStorm
how about spelling Kabbalah right for GS digi laughing out loud

A bitter old man googled kaballah, read up on one interpretation and thought he knew it all. He proceeded to post smugly in hope that he had caught me out only to have his hopes dashed when i tore apart his over night studies.

Trumped and somewhat perturbed the old man rushed around the forums making false claims on threads in a last ditch effort to save face.

That is the story of Whirlysplats demise. sad

Swanky-Tuna
Reading this thread made me grow a pocket protector out of my nipple.

Hit_and_Miss
Yes, we already discussed your "trollin" attitude..

Your such a pedantic guy whirly... Its a minor point at best... but you treat it like its the world... Colour/Color ... Whats the point???

Predictable response that I'm "miss"ing the point plz...

Creshosk
Drivel smile Why because it shows you to have not only contradicted yourself, but been shown wrong? this is a new low for you.

Pushing your opinion off as fact? no

Whirlysplatt

yes Kabbalah smile

GalacticStorm

Isnt that standard practice. Do you know what i almost feel sorry for him. laughing out loud

GalacticStorm
A bitter old man googled kaballah, read up on one interpretation and thought he knew it all. He proceeded to post smugly in hope that he had caught me out only to have his hopes dashed when i tore apart his over night studies.

Trumped and somewhat perturbed the old man rushed around the forums making false claims on threads in a last ditch effort to save face.

embarrasment sad smile big grin eek! laughing out loud

Whirlysplatt
Its spelt Kabbalah boy smile google it smile it even corrects your spelling smile

GalacticStorm
Its spelt Kabbalah boy smile google it smile it even corrects your spelling smile

Lookie here :

embarrasment sad smile big grin eek! laughing out loud

Creshosk
yes Kabbalah smile What difference does it make how it's spelled? If that's the way you prefer to spell it fine. But don't go saying that another person is wrong for spelling it in an accepted manner.

"A rose by any other name..."

You are FAR from one in a position to correct another person's grammar. And even using improper grammar does not render a person's point mute.

Or by your logic all of your points are wrong because you said "whose" in a place where it should have been "who is".

But that is certainly drivel. The whole conncept of "if you don't use impecable grammar you know nothing." is drivel

Whirlysplatt
Insults boy don't change how its speltsmile

Its spelt Kabbalah boy, google it, it even corrects your spelling

anyone neutral knows you can't spell it smile

Whirlysplatt
What difference does it make how it's spelled? If that's the way you prefer to spell it fine. But don't go saying that another person is wrong for spelling it in an accepted manner.

"A rose by any other name..."

You are FAR from one in a position to correct another person's grammar. And even using improper grammar does not render a person's point mute.

Or by your logic all of your points are wrong because you said "whose" in a place where it should have been "who is".

But that is certainly drivel. The whole conncept of "if you don't use impecable grammar you know nothing." is drivel

laughing out loud it proves his no expert smile

Hit_and_Miss
all it proves whirly is your soo pedantic to prove GS wrong, your targeting the name rather then the bulk of the argument... Even if he was wrong (not saying he is) it doesn't mean the rest of the post is wrong... Its like American/English spellings.... Just cause they spell it color doesn't mean there not referring to colours...

Get over it whirly... your fighting a losing battle, and only making yourself seem stupider the more you debate about a minor spelling due to translation problems....

Creshosk
laughing out loud it proves his no expert smile Because he spells it a certain way he dosn't know about it?

Then why don't you spell it קַבָּלָה instead if you are so knowledgeable?

Scoobless
Ok... I have to ask....do any of you actually care about what you're arguing about here?

I don't.

GalacticStorm
Ok... I have to ask....do any of you actually care about what you're arguing about here?

I don't.

Its just a laugh really. wink

Nothing serious. big grin

Paola
How does a thread like this relates to movies based on comics?!?!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.