Wolverine and Storm overated because

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Comic Book
I hate when everyone, is like storm and wolverine, are the best. People, only like wolverine, because he is, a savage, badass type, that doesn't take junk. People only like Storm, because she is black, and I am tired of it. If storm was white, she wouldn't be nearly as popular. The comics and the movies, should be based, more on the leader, of the x-men, Cyclops, and the other originals. Wolverine and Storm, wasn't even apart of the original team, so I don't know how, this could of happened. what do you X-men, fans think ?

psycix
i think it depends on the views of people of liking a character or whatnot...

Comic Book
I would love to see, Wolverine as a boyscout, and storm white, then I will love to see how many, fans they have then. Same stories and everything.

kichiku_beihei
I really never notcied any one raving about Storm.... but Wolverine appeals to the masses more so than Ice Man, Cyclops, Beast, and so on. I think people can relate more to Wolverine mainly due the fact (IMO btw) that he is constantly dealing with inner demons as other people are. Also, boy scouts suck, and that means Cyclops sucks too. If cyclops were to go villan though, I would be a real Cyclops fan then. All that military genius (couldn't find better words than that) Cyc's has, would make an awesome villan.
But back to the point, people can relate more to Wolverine, more so than a boy scout that seems to lead a charmed life.

wannabe
Originally posted by Comic Book
I hate when everyone, is like storm and wolverine, are the best. People, only like wolverine, because he is, a savage, badass type, that doesn't take junk. People only like Storm, because she is black, and I am tired of it. If storm was white, she wouldn't be nearly as popular. The comics and the movies, should be based, more on the leader, of the x-men, Cyclops, and the other originals. Wolverine and Storm, wasn't even apart of the original team, so I don't know how, this could of happened. what do you X-men, fans think ? What bullsh*t is that???
I have MANY X-Men readers of both white and black colour among my friends and NOT ONE of them likes (or hates) Storm because she's black!!! Is Wonder Woman so popular because she is white...NOOO! They are popular because they are cool characters and have cool powers.
Originally posted by kichiku_beihei
I really never notcied any one raving about Storm.... but Wolverine appeals to the masses more so than Ice Man, Cyclops, Beast, and so on. I think people can relate more to Wolverine mainly due the fact (IMO btw) that he is constantly dealing with inner demons as other people are. No, most people like him because he is a bad ass and does things they would like to do too...sad truth. He makes them feel stronger, cooler and more independent when they identify themselves with him.

stormfront13
well I think your a jackass. you know nothing of the character storm. storm is appealing to fans not only because she is black, but for the person she is on ths inside. she is a strong female character, and that's rare. she was the first woman leader in comics. that's a great accomplishment by itself. yeah, she is also popular because she is a atrong black character, and those are rare, but it's noit the only reason.

Mainstream
Storm was never over rated...

wannabe
Originally posted by Mainstream
Storm was never over rated... Exactly!!!
She HAS enormous and very versatile powers and a strong and defined character, it's part of her and not overrating.

GalacticStorm
All of this because of that Spiderman thread? Come on CB this is a bit much. confused

supreme_being
I think storm nor wolverine r over-rated i have to agree with many on here... storm is appealing because not only is she black but because she is a woman... when they created her character it was very rare to have a strong powerful black woman, and many people liked that also, she has amazing abilities and powers.
Also im not a huge fan of wolverine but i still think he is very unique, he is a character who is misunderstood and over whelming at sometimes.... part of the reason x-men was created was because it was for teenagers who didnt know who they were or how they felt and the comic gave them something to relate to(people who stand out) if u dont believe this, its on the x-men dvd!
People like cyclops should be thrown to one side, his character is very str8 forward and kinda boring at times(now i dont hate cyclops i think he is good in certain comics) but once agen there r teenagers who r like cyclops and are able to relate to him. All the characters were created to fill certain roles and its unfair to pin point certain ones becuz u may have a grudge on them... they r characters who many other people like. So dont start at the fans, because there is a much bigger fan base for those who like storm and wolverine than cyclops!

Comic Book
Originally posted by GalacticStorm
All of this because of that Spiderman thread? Come on CB this is a bit much. confused

I made this before, I even saw that thread confused

Comic Book
I am saying, that she wouldn't have alot of people to support her, if she was white. please, people, dont tale it as an insult

cheshire_smile
Honestly, I'm not a huge Storm fan, but it doesn't have anything to do with her color, or her powers. Her powers are cool. For some reason her personality doesn't really click with me, and her moralizing has a tendency to get on my nerves. I have the same issue with Jean Grey.

Comic Book
i think you guys took it, different, than what i said. The second, you hear black, everyone think it's racist...well i didn't mean it that way.

Protector
Comic Book I don't really care how you ment it. Cause this is how it is I am a HUGE Wolverine fan and I have nothing but respect for Storm. Now saying that people wouldn't like Wolverine if wasn't badass is stupid.
That's like saying people wouldn't like Beast is he wasn't smart. Like saying people wouldn't like Jean if she wasn't so hott. Like saying people wouldn't like Cyclops if he wasn't such a boyscout. A DUH. His bad assness is part of him if he wasn't so badass we propably wouldn't like him but then again without his badassness he wouldn't be Wolverine.

Awww come on guys if Prof. X was so smart, bald, or in a wheelchair we wouldn't like him.

katie_girl09
I hate when everyone, is like storm and wolverine, are the best. People, only like wolverine, because he is, a savage, badass type, that doesn't take junk. People only like Storm, because she is black, and I am tired of it. If storm was white, she wouldn't be nearly as popular. The comics and the movies, should be based, more on the leader, of the x-men, Cyclops, and the other originals. Wolverine and Storm, wasn't even apart of the original team, so I don't know how, this could of happened. what do you X-men, fans think ?
I'd have to disagree with you on the Storm thing. Storm is cool NOT because she is black, but because she has wicked powers. Are you telling me that it wouldn't be cool to be able to control the weather??? And if anything, I think that she's underrated most of the time...

crimsonphoenix
Everyone haves a different character they like and don't like....we cant expect evey1 to like the same person. Yeah of course ppl will have opinions on how they like or don't like a character. But come on don't make a thread based on characters u think are overrated because u think they are.

pr1983
Both can be incredibly overrated... two reasons... 13 year old boys and chris claremont...

ive been reading xmen since the 80s, and i always hated wolverine, but i never undervalued his worth in a fight... but marvel has gone to far, turning him into a hairy hulk...

as for storm... there was a time when i idolised storm... but not so anymore... claremont saw to that...

while its not just these two, they are perfect symptoms of a larger problem imo...

the xmen are punching over their weight, they have been for a while now... i miss xmen who i actually empathised with...

Creshosk
i think you guys took it, different, than what i said. The second, you hear black, everyone think it's racist...well i didn't mean it that way. What difference would it make?

It would be the same thing as saying we wouldn't like <insert character here> if they weren't <insert character's race here>.

Which is the same thing as saying that a character is only popular because they aren't <insert race they are not here>.

How is that not racist? Wolverine is only popular because he's not black? Or hispanic? Or japanese?

Race doesn't play a part in a character's popularity. . .

I wonder for example, how many people know that Jubilee is Chinese.

pr1983
Originally posted by Creshosk
What difference would it make?

It would be the same thing as saying we wouldn't like <insert character here> if they weren't <insert character's race here>.

Which is the same thing as saying that a character is only popular because they aren't <insert race they are not here>.

How is that not racist? Wolverine is only popular because he's not black? Or hispanic? Or japanese?

i do... and i feel so ashamed for hating her so much... sad

cheshire_smile
Originally posted by pr1983
i do... and i feel so ashamed for hating her so much... sad

Don't. She's annoying, and annoying characters transcends racial boundaries.

pr1983
Originally posted by cheshire_smile
Don't. She's annoying, and annoying characters transcends racial boundaries.

ok... big grin

Droopy

I like storm because of her powers and hair and wolverine is a very interesting character with many sides to him

Comic Book
What difference would it make?

yeah, try to make it look racist. Ok, help yourself.

Creshosk
yeah, try to make it look racist. Ok, help yourself. Don't need to try, you already did.

psycix
i agree w/ Droopy... i mean... it's not that ppl like Storm because she's black or whatever... my friend likes Storm because she's cool w/ her powers n' everything... she didn't even mention the skin color part...

Comic Book
Don't need to try, you already did.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Comic Book
Originally posted by psycix
i agree w/ Droopy... i mean... it's not that ppl like Storm because she's black or whatever... my friend likes Storm because she's cool w/ her powers n' everything... she didn't even mention the skin color part...

No, at the begining, of her career, she was kool, an interesting. Over the years, she became crap, and people just like her now because...

countryfan2004
How old are you? You seem very immature and shouldn't be making such accusations about characters where there are poeple on here who absolutely love them. I, for one, used to LOVE Storm, but recently there hasn't been much done with her character (I'm not talking about her powers or her skills in battle...her actual life...and yes I realize they have a mini out, but it doesn't effect how her character is portrayed right now). As for Wolverine. I like the character in itself, but I personally don't like the kill, kill, kill with sharp claws thing he has going on. it doesn't teach good morals to children. I also think he's being used in too many books. And for the reason I just said, I don't think he should be in that many books. I say limit him to one tema and his solo series. That's why Wolverine drives me nuts. He not overrated; he's overused. I don't think any character is overrated. It jsut depends on people's taste in character.

JediMasterLuke5
Wolverine is pretty good up against human's and people that dont possess super strength. Storm is really good though. Being able to strike you opponnent with a Lighting Bolt could prove fatal.

Creshosk
people just like her now because... Various different reasons that have nothing to do with race?

Why are you making it a racial issue about Storm's popularity?

CaptainBen
Originally posted by wannabe
What bullsh*t is that???
I have MANY X-Men readers of both white and black colour among my friends and NOT ONE of them likes (or hates) Storm because she's black!!! Is Wonder Woman so popular because she is white...NOOO! They are popular because they are cool characters and have cool powers.
No, most people like him because he is a bad ass and does things they would like to do too...sad truth. He makes them feel stronger, cooler and more independent when they identify themselves with him.

Sorry to butt in but, there reason why people like storm and wonder woman is because of their BOOBS

i like wolverine cuz he has claws and hes mean

crimsonphoenix
i dont like them cuz they have boobs

Comic Book
Various different reasons that have nothing to do with race?

Why are you making it a racial issue about Storm's popularity?

Stop trying to make me sound like a racist.

Comic Book
Originally posted by countryfan2004
How old are you? You seem very immature and shouldn't be making such accusations about characters where there are poeple on here who absolutely love them. I, for one, used to LOVE Storm, but recently there hasn't been much done with her character (I'm not talking about her powers or her skills in battle...her actual life...and yes I realize they have a mini out, but it doesn't effect how her character is portrayed right now). As for Wolverine. I like the character in itself, but I personally don't like the kill, kill, kill with sharp claws thing he has going on. it doesn't teach good morals to children. I also think he's being used in too many books. And for the reason I just said, I don't think he should be in that many books. I say limit him to one tema and his solo series. That's why Wolverine drives me nuts. He not overrated; he's overused. I don't think any character is overrated. It jsut depends on people's taste in character.

Who are you talking to. How old are you child ? I bet your balls didn't even drop yet, so watch who you are talking to, or I will just have to type...... rolling on floor laughing

Comic Book
I am black by the way, and I say what i hear now. In the past storm was good, but now she lost her touch, and wolverine is still good, but he is a Cash monkey.

CaptainBen
BBBBBBBBBBBBBooooooooooooooooooooooooobbbbbbbbbbbb
ssssssssssss

Comic Book
Thats low. You only like her for her comic book, boobs.

CaptainBen
its a joke. but you have to admit they are pretty nice wink1

Comic Book
Originally posted by CaptainBen
its a joke. but you have to admit they are pretty nice wink1

Well they are kind of juicie, and tender, ok you got me.

Creshosk
Stop trying to make me sound like a racist. I don't have to try, you do it yourself.

Comic Book
I don't have to try, you do it yourself.

Are you made because of the Storm vs Carnage thread, and things didn't go your way roll eyes (sarcastic)

Comic Book
I am black by the way, and I say what i hear now. In the past storm was good, but now she lost her touch, and wolverine is still good, but he is a Cash monkey.

Creshosk
Are you made because of the Storm vs Carnage thread, and things didn't go your way roll eyes (sarcastic) No, that's why you made this thread.

I'm made because of the racist comments.

"No one would like her if she was non-black"

"No one would like her if she was hispanic."
"No one would like her if she were asian."
"No one would like her if she were white."

THAT is what irritates me. People don't care about a character's race. We like a character because of the character.

NoFate007
Batman wins...wait a minute..

Comic Book
No, that's why you made this thread.

I'm made because of the racist comments.

"No one would like her if she was non-black"

"No one would like her if she was hispanic."
"No one would like her if she were asian."
"No one would like her if she were white."

THAT is what irritates me. People don't care about a character's race. We like a character because of the character.

You want some candy ?

Creshosk
You want some candy ? No, I don't want any crack.

Comic Book
No, I don't want any crack.

confused

crimsonphoenix
I want some candy

Creshosk
Originally posted by crimsonphoenix
I want some candy Not his candy. If that's what he has that makes him come to the conclusion that Storm is only liked because of her race.

kanis
starwars Because of their personalities everyone likes wolverine because of his attitude and how he reacts and about his past which it seems that everybody is interested in and thinks he can beat everybody because he can heal himself and has adamantium claws. Storm is not that bad but doesn't deserve her own movie, neither does wolverine. And I'm adding that I'm not happy with them making once again wolverine the central character in the next xmen movie and down sizing cyclop's role when he casts an important role in the phoenix saga.

Comic Book
Not his candy. If that's what he has that makes him come to the conclusion that Storm is only liked because of her race.

confused

Ieatbabies

Well at the time of their debute there was no one like them. They were unique and the fans loved it.

Comic book readers weren't used to seeing a superhero that doesn't follow the team's orders, like Wolverine. You also really didn't come across that many black female superheroes that were as strong as Storm so, that's why they are liked so much.

Now they have even more fans and getting more overrated then that of some who deserves credit, like Psylocke.

Wolverine and Storm have become so popular they are like the faces of the X-men. Wolverine more than Storm though, just he's become like, a household name.

Comic Book
Originally posted by Ieatbabies
Well at the time of their debute there was no one like them. They were unique and the fans loved it.

Comic book readers weren't used to seeing a superhero that doesn't follow the team's orders, like Wolverine. You also really didn't come across that many black female superheroes that were as strong as Storm so, that's why they are liked so much.

Now they have even more fans and getting more overrated then that of some who deserves credit, like Psylocke.

Wolverine and Storm have become so popular they are like the faces of the X-men. Wolverine more than Storm though, just he's become like, a household name.

yes

crimsonphoenix
yeah i think psylocke should get more credit and i also think sage should too. storms character doesn't bother me but i am a Logan fan.Do i think he is overrated? yes. They shouldn't put him into every f-ing x-men title. I think ppl live out there fantasies in comics especially x-men since there's alot of characters. Thats why there's so many. Thats why some ppl like storm cuz she is a strong female. Ppl like Logan cuz he is a bada**. And ppl like Scott cuz he is a leader and a good boy.

Marvel=DC
Storm most definitely appealed to Black and female comic book readers when she first appeared because she was a rare diamond in the ruff. She was sort of Marvels Wonder Woman at that point because all the heroes were white and all the other females that were popular at that time where weak willed and basically pathetic and constantly had to be saved by the male characters i.e Invisible Girl and Marvel Girl(even the names are somewhat offensive they were full grown women) Storm was and still is strong willed without being arrogant. But that was so long ago the kids of now aren't the kids of yester years there are so many minority characters (most of who seem to be alien) that it's most likely they don't even know she was the first black superhero many people white, black, Latin, Asian, etc like who they like you can't blame someone for liking someone who looks or in one way or another are similar to them. Should little white girls only play with black dolls and vise versa? Know don't right off this generation as ignorant because were not we can just see past the ignorance of race and like people real or not for their style or hair or powers and most of all their personality. If it wasn't for racism Storm wouldn't even be the first black superhero Wonder Woman would be her creator originally made her black but, because of the way society was at that time he was told she wasn't "FIT FOR SALE" (they also told him to change her name which was good cause her original name was I believe Ultra Woman). Also Joel Schuster and they other guy who's name excapes me at the moment considered their creation (SUPERMAN) to be Jewish like themselves is that wrong. I will agree that Wolverine is over exposed and as a result has somehow managed to become some god like being where fanboys(basically people with low I.Q.s or at least no sense of judgement ) are involved. So in essence has become overrated But to say if she wasn't black or he didn't have claws thats just stupid because 1. people like storm's powers, hair eyes and personality and 2. Wolverine without his claws or attitude isn't wolverine just like if Batman was stupid or Superman wasn't faster then a speeding bullet or wasn't Kryptonian. People in one way or another relate to comic characters that they like many people don't for instance like DC cause the characters have "HIGH & MIGHTY ATTITUDES & ARE PERFECT) where as marvel don't and are more down to earth and easier to relate to. So does that mean that they shouldn't like marvel? I for one don't see you as a racist I completely understood what you wee saying wasn't meant to sound racist but, it could and apparently was interpreted as racist. So next time be more careful how you post and what you say.

kichiku_beihei
Try and be nice confused . I totally agree with you though that Wolverine is totally over exposed. X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, Astonishing X-Men, The New Avengers, Wolverine etc. But he is a cash cow and people will buy any comic with Wolverine in it. IMO, I think they should give Wolverine a beautiful temporary death for a few years.

Comic Book
Superman is an alien, but what you said is on the DOT.

Disturbance
Imo people do like Storm partly because of her color as a part of identifying, but that's not the only nor the major reason. But as myself many become color blind and won't even notice such a "minor" characteristic as the story goes on.

Now, after these words of sense, you kids can go on arguing. wink

Marvel=DC
Originally posted by Disturbance
Imo people do like Storm partly because of her color as a part of identifying, but that's not the only nor the major reason. But as myself many become color blind and won't even notice such a "minor" characteristic as the story goes on.

Now, after these words of sense, you kids can go on arguing. wink

Exactly my point big grin

supreme_being
yall guys have stolen my words i sed ages ago about storm and why ppl like her. hey man i think they need to play down wovie too but storm is cool and it just seems like ur bein bitchy and i know u dont want to sound like that!

kanis
starwars I don't mind storm but wolverine and I tell you something I woulden't buy an xmen comic just because he's on the comic

Disappear
a lot of the points Marvel=DC and Disturbance bring up are true. it's not entirely false that storm's race has had a hand in gathering her fan base. to instantly attack Comic Book for mentioning it (which, i admit, was done in a very abrasive way,) and try to defend that race is not an issue is childish. if storm wasn't black, everyone must admit she'd be a much different character. her past, and her heritage (which had a huge part in dictating her black skin, white hair and blue eyes) were major players in defining who storm was as a person. if she'd grown up in chicago, was a white-skinned, blonde-haired bimbo with powers akin to our storm's, her fans would be drastically different. so, while it's entirely false that the only reason people like storm is because of the color of her skin, it's also entirely false that her color had no part in garnering favor with a large portion of her fans.

my personal issues with storm stem primarily from what claremont's done to her. she's his gem, and he's played her up to be a rather hauty, annoying character, in my perspective. and her powers, at least various applications of them, defy their own definitions. hurricane force winds whip around at 100 to 250 miles per hour, on estimate. that's nature. but storm can summon winds, while underground, to ferry a bomb through miles of twisting, turning tunnels to the surface in just a few seconds, without being able to see precisely where she's guiding it? bullshit. combine that level of power misuse (by claremont) with her neverending goddess complex, and she's just a character i'd rather not deal with.

and wolverine, despite being a badass who many people aspire to relate to, has come no length in developing as a character since he was introduced. despite the countless stories and arcs surrounding his past and his politics, he ALWAYS comes back to the same place. it's annoying, and there's really little to relate to with him. i'd much sooner relate to various other characters...

wannabe
Originally posted by Disappear
a lot of the points Marvel=DC and Disturbance bring up are true. it's not entirely false that storm's race has had a hand in gathering her fan base. to instantly attack Comic Book for mentioning it (which, i admit, was done in a very abrasive way,) and try to defend that race is not an issue is childish. if storm wasn't black, everyone must admit she'd be a much different character. her past, and her heritage (which had a huge part in dictating her black skin, white hair and blue eyes) were major players in defining who storm was as a person. if she'd grown up in chicago, was a white-skinned, blonde-haired bimbo with powers akin to our storm's, her fans would be drastically different. so, while it's entirely false that the only reason people like storm is because of the color of her skin, it's also entirely false that her color had no part in garnering favor with a large portion of her fans.
A white Chicago bimbo would of course not have the same impact like Storm BUT that would mean being white would automatically make her dull, cause there is no interesting heritage imaginable when one belongs to the white race...wrong!
If she'd be a white women, descending from an ancient line of strong Wicca-witches with silver-white hair and shining green eyes, originating from one of the british isles, being an orphan, strong in character and will, forced to become a pickpockettess to make a life, she would have a similar fan base like the black Storm we have now!!!

GalacticStorm
that's nature. but storm can summon winds, while underground, to ferry a bomb through miles of twisting, turning tunnels to the surface in just a few seconds, without being able to see precisely where she's guiding it? bullshit. combine that level of power misuse (by claremont) with her neverending goddess complex, and she's just a character i'd rather not deal with.

Its silly to hate a super powered character because some of their abilities defy real world circumstances. Also its common knowledge that Storm can see the world around her in terms of energy patterns that was revealed back in the early days of Uncanny. X-treme X-men revealed the extent of her perceptions. Knowing this its not hard to imagine how she'd be able be able to navigate the bomb out of the morlock sewers.

Disappear
i don't hate storm because her powers are unrealistic. its even made mention in the legion quest issues of uncanny that "the laws of nature don't bend this far. so she breaks them." the fact that she's defying all physics in claremont's bid to make her a stronger character, by shoving an about-to-detonate bomb through a labyrinth of cement and stagnant water at several dozen times any feasible speed, is what bothers me. storm would be a much more interesting character, in my opinion, if she'd been given the chance to grow when passed from writer to writer, instead of having claremont's fascination with her make her unbearably "larger than life," and giving other writers, like ellis, such little else to work with.

masterkit
I never liked Wolverine as much

but Storms always been my fave X-Woman

feralboy
i'm black an i don't like storm becuase we both have the same color skin. i'll her for her powers and who she is.but if thats what you think your wrong

Director321
I hate when everyone, is like storm and wolverine, are the best. People, only like wolverine, because he is, a savage, badass type, that doesn't take junk. People only like Storm, because she is black, and I am tired of it. If storm was white, she wouldn't be nearly as popular. The comics and the movies, should be based, more on the leader, of the x-men, Cyclops, and the other originals. Wolverine and Storm, wasn't even apart of the original team, so I don't know how, this could of happened. what do you X-men, fans think ? well the comics realy ****t up the movie jubilee and wolverine were tight in the comics not rogue and wolverine and it's true if storm was white she would be shit on a stick
smokin' smokin' smokin' smokin' smokin'

Disappear
not just that if she was white noone would like her, it's what dramatically different effects her being white (american or european) would have had on her past, her upbringing, and her developed personality traits. if she had the same powers, she'd probably have the same power-based fans. but the people who like her for her character would be drastically different.

wannabe
not just that if she was white noone would like her, it's what dramatically different effects her being white (american or european) would have had on her past, her upbringing, and her developed personality traits. if she had the same powers, she'd probably have the same power-based fans. but the people who like her for her character would be drastically different. mad AGAIN...
A white Chicago bimbo would of course not have the same impact like the Mother Nature priestess from Kenia BUT that would mean being white would automatically make her dull, cause there is no interesting heritage imaginable when one belongs to the white race...wrong!
If she'd be a white women, descending from an ancient line of strong Wicca-witches with silver-white hair and shining green eyes, originating from one of the british isles, being an orphan, strong in character and will, forced to become a pickpockettess to make a life, she would have a similar fan base like the black Storm we have now!!!

Disappear
no she wouldn't. she'd be just as disinteresting as the goth or the twisted sisters. i'm not saying there's no way for a white character to be interesting, and there are numerous caucasians with less "imaginative" histories as the one you presented who i find interesting. i'm saying that storm's color is irrevocably tied into who she is as a person due to her past experiences. arguing that if she was white with a similar past she'd be the same is both not a counterargument to what i've said, and a completely veilless attempt at forced political correctness. she'd be a fundamentally different person if she wasn't "our" storm, particularly if she'd been uprooted at her very conception to be made a white character.

her having been a strong black female in something of a leading role with the x-men IS a part of why she gained her popularity among the fans. to say it's not is as wildly incorrect as to say it's the ONLY reason.

wannabe
no she wouldn't. she'd be just as disinteresting as the goth or the twisted sisters. i'm not saying there's no way for a white character to be interesting, and there are numerous caucasians with less "imaginative" histories as the one you presented who i find interesting. i'm saying that storm's color is irrevocably tied into who she is as a person due to her past experiences. arguing that if she was white with a similar past she'd be the same is both not a counterargument to what i've said, and a completely veilless attempt at forced political correctness. she'd be a fundamentally different person if she wasn't "our" storm, particularly if she'd been uprooted at her very conception to be made a white character.

her having been a strong black female in something of a leading role with the x-men IS a part of why she gained her popularity among the fans. to say it's not is as wildly incorrect as to say it's the ONLY reason. Since my mother is german and my father african, i was never brought up to be as ridiculously political correct as many americans seem to feel it's needed.
Also i never questioned that Storm wouldn't be "our" Storm, if she were white. I just articulated my opinion, that a white Storm, similar to the one i described, would attract a similar fan base like the black one...and many of my Storm loving friends agree with me.
I agree with you that Ororo's african heritage, which inevitably results in her having black skin, is part of the reason why fans love her. I just think this aspect is interchangeable with a fascinating, troubled and mystic "non black" heritage that would cause comparable fandom. Ergo Storm's black skin is NOT a reason for her (allegedly) being overrated like this threads starter proclaimed...that's all i wanted to express!

supreme_being
its shocking whats happpend in thge room, this all started out cuz one guy/girl said they didnt like these two characters which i find 100% pointless to say in the first place as most people wudnt care if u like them or not, buyt yall in here are taken it personally and sounds like racism etc so can we all just leave the room and get on with everything and not care about a stupid little comment like storm and wolvie r soooooo over rated... man its stupid!
hoepfully yall will just get on with everything and this stupid little pointless room will be closed

RisingStorm
This thread is shocking. Wow, often run into a person who claims very blatantly with the issue of race. First of all, don't even bring this up if you don't know how to defend your ground, because the way I read it, some people will really find it offensive. As I do too, I know what you feel about having an issue about race but not racist in nature, but yours is, sorry. I would complain if Storm is played by Cameron Diaz, or any actress that is of not similar race to fictional Storm, because of the obvious fact. But stereotyping her fanbase of their fascination and reverence to the character only because of her race is very much offensive and careless. So read again if you don't think your post is racist. It is.

On the other hand, I've always liked Storm since I was young, I loved her because of her cool powers. I remembered when I was young I was never really vigilante on the characters' skin colors just like all innocent minds that used to watch the original series or even until now. I love power, she has that power. A lot of people find her unique (white hair, etc...) and a lot of women find her character a representation of outside the barrier stereotyped woman like Jean Grey who only has total dependence to her man. That my friend, is a stereotyped representation of a woman. I swear a lot of my friends back then and until now always have Storm and Rogue at their favorites list only for the sole reason that they are tough women who can kick ass anyday. Jean on the other hand was a weak character, someone who can't possibly stand up for herself for one minute. No one liked her except those who found Cyclops handsome.

And if we are talking about overrated characters, this thread should be titled Jean Grey is overrated because...
That would've been better. Since she has the Phoenix, she has this huge power upgrade, and then she became Omega which I don't get since Exodus has far more powerful telekinesis than her...okay finished my ranting.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.