What Is A Lie?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Storm

Clovie
not-truth

Atlantis001
Lie is to intentionally make a false statement to mislead someone. Lie would be about our intentions, not about how we classify our senteces.

lil bitchiness
Truth is only an observation of certain person. There is no such thing as an absolute truth, thuis there is no such thing as an absolute lie either.

Lie is, then, telling someone something different from what YOU believe is true, not necesseraly what IS true, as such thing is subjective.

Lying is not necesseraly there to decieve in a sinsiter way - people lie to protect themselves, to protect others, as well as to use.

Julie
yup...lying is untruth

WindDancer
Pretty much you've answer your own question storm. In it's simplest form a lie is nothing more than a deception trying to mislead another person. You can't have a liar without lies.

Shakyamunison

Fëanor
Originally posted by WindDancer
Pretty much you've answer your own question storm. In it's simplest form a lie is nothing more than a deception trying to mislead another person. You can't have a liar without lies. but if a liar admits to lying, then he's telling the truth.

Victor Von Doom
This.

Work that one out.

Spelljammer
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Lying is not necesseraly there to decieve in a sinsiter way - people lie to protect themselves, to protect others, as well as to use.
Bush is lieing for your own good..

DanieLs_4_Ever
Originally posted by Clovie
not-truth
thumb up

A lie~ The opposite of truth. It's as simple and as complicated as that!

debbiejo
OK then, what's difference between a white lie and a lie?

Is one better for the other....

And during WWII when Jews were hiding in some houses that were Christian....and were interrogated....The Christians lied that there were no Jews in the house, when infact there were....Can a lie be a good thing?

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by debbiejo
The Christians lied that there were no Jews in the house, when infact there were....Can a lie be a good thing?

No, they should have told the Germans!

So they could kill them!

Of course it can, you nut. Talk about rhetorical question.

debbiejo
If you go by scripture, then it's ANY non truth....Therefore evil, and breaking one of the big 10.....but as was pointed out it is subjective.....as Lil B stated...

So, out of curiosity are there good lies?

Victor Von Doom
If you go by scripture, then it's ANY non truth

I don't.

So, out of curiosity are there good lies?

Yes.

This was a very perceptive post.

dragon milly
There can be good and bad lies. Like when you are hiding a present for someone, that would be an example of a good lie. If you tell someone you love them and are really in love with someone else, now that would be a bad lie. Both are forms of deception, but it just depends on the way you use it.

soleran30
Well at the end of the day a lie is what you make of it..........but I believe the point to be is if you make a point to go out of your way to decieve someone for your own gain (money, politics, information) then you are creating a lie............the levels of this are huge so of course this isn't absolute.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Spelljammer
Bush is lieing for your own good..

Well the good thing is, I dont live in the Bush land - so he is lying to YOU, not to me.

soleran30
Well the good thing is, I dont live in the Bush land - so he is lying to YOU, not to me.

The Bush is so big he affects world policy so in effect he could.......

Bardock42
Truth is only an observation of certain person. There is no such thing as an absolute truth, thuis there is no such thing as an absolute lie either.

Lie is, then, telling someone something different from what YOU believe is true, not necesseraly what IS true, as such thing is subjective.

I disagree, I very much believe there is an absolute truth...the problem is we can never be sure to know it.....a lie now is to knowingly say something that one believes to not be the truth (usually to mislead another person)

BackFire
A lie is purposely giving someone false information in hopes of misleading or deceiving them.

kidwhothinks

Shakyamunison
A lie is blue and only happens on Tuesday. laughing

mailedbypostman
A lie is telling a piece of information you know is not true but providing the information to someone as a truth.

Thor_300
Nothing is true, Everything is permitted.

Lord Lucien
Assassin's Creed really introduced college kids and wannabe philosophes to a new round of pretentiousness.

ADarksideJedi
It is when you are not telling the truth and it is also consider a sin.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
It is when you are not telling the truth and it is also consider a sin.

Ah, but isn't a sufficient definition. It's possible to say something that isn't true without lying, you can be misinformed or simply wrong.

inimalist
or sarcasm if you aren't trying to decieve the other person

ADarksideJedi
I am telling the truth it is consider a sin and when I was younger I would get a bar of soap in my mouth for lieing or cussing.

spydergirl
Should you lie to someone in order to protect them?
I mean would that be bad if you were protecting them from getting hurt or would that still be lying?

Deja~vu
A lie is being deceptive to someone. And not in some funny way.

Grate the Vraya

The MISTER
If you go by scripture, then it's ANY non truth....Therefore evil, and breaking one of the big 10.....but as was pointed out it is subjective.....as Lil B stated...

So, out of curiosity are there good lies? If a burn victim asks you "How do I look today?" and your opinion is that they look monstrous at all times, it might be considered positive to conceal your true feelings and tell them, " You look very nice today!".

Originally posted by Deja~vu
A lie is being deceptive to someone. And not in some funny way. Yes there are. Truth is not only horrible, but it's for the weak and those lackign imagination.

Deja~vu
Well, the question was "What is a lie" and to me it is being deceptive. Also, I know the truth can sound horrible, and you have to be very tactful when telling it.

alltoomany
what is a lie? Thats a riddle,, boy!

alltoomany
reverse psychology???

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.