Comics Powerful moments

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

HigH ScholaR
Comics Powerful moments

debate/discuss

but POST PICS of showings of great power in comics.

GalacticStorm
Do you mean in terms of sheer power like showings from Phoenix or the Celestials or do you mean tragic, emotive scenes?

roughrider
Death can be the most powerful.

roughrider
And again.

8bitChris
Endsong was pretty good all around.

BobbyD
I've got to go with Superman's death....sorry no pics. sad

This has got to be easily one of the top 3 most well known events in comicbook history, Marvel included.

It was the death of an icon, and whether one is a Supes fan or hater, they would agree that his death reached everyone in all comicdom...not necessarily on a sad personal level, but more on a level like everyone knows. Even if you didn't know a thing about comics or who the bleep Superman is, you heard about it across the globe.

The pic with him dead in Lois' arms is probably the pic eveyone remembers very well.

Juntai
Originally posted by BobbyD

This has got to be easily one of the top 3 most well known events in comicbook history, Marvel included.

It was the death of an icon, and whether one is a Supes fan or hater, they would agree that his death reached everyone in all comicdom...not necessarily on a sad personal level, but more on a level like everyone knows. Even if you didn't know a thing about comics or who the bleep Superman is, you heard about it across the globe.

The pic with him dead in Lois' arms is probably the pic eveyone remembers very well. It is in fact the MOST known comic event ever, not "top 3".

GalacticStorm
What do you mean high scholar?

Juntai
Originally posted by GalacticStorm
What do you mean high scholar? I'm going out on a limb and assuming he wants to see people doing crazy shit like towing planets or containing the big bang.

GalacticStorm
Originally posted by Juntai
I'm going out on a limb and assuming he wants to see people doing crazy shit like towing planets or containing the big bang.

Thats what im thinking as well. Its just that the thread title suggests that but his first post gives mixed messages so its hard to tell lol.

HigH ScholaR
What do you mean high scholar?

both, what ever was powerful to you, something that made the earth move, could be power, emotion etc sorry sholud have been more clear

Juntai
good choice, should bring out a lot of interesting responces.

Death of Superman was huge... Front page of nearly every magazine and newspaper there was at one point or another during the year...

The watchmen will always be monumental to me.... it set a new standard and made comics grow up...

The original Batman movie . . . so influencial on me.

As for a showing of a characters power... I'm going to have to go with Spectre defeating Shazam.. I had told my friend that Spectre was going to stomp him, but I feared that he may have been done in eventually since Shazam was in the more "good guy" role... but such is apperently not the case in the new DC-in-the-making.

willRules
I really like this argument between Xavier and magneto in a concentration Camp ruins..........for me it sums up what they are both fighting for..................

HigH ScholaR
i always wanted to see the spectre vs shazam fight.

got scans

yes i remember the death of superman it was huge, also how it was affecting btaman but he was dealing with it in his own way not trying to show his feelings to others.

HigH ScholaR
Originally posted by Juntai
I'm going out on a limb and assuming he wants to see people doing crazy shit like towing planets or containing the big bang.

that will be fine also big grin stick out tongue

8bitChris
Death of Superman would have been bigger if he actually stayed dead. Death of an icon. I think it would have had a much better impact on the DCU and would have been better for it overall.

Time for Superboy to man up finally or something along those lines.

It would be the death of an icon, more sacred than the famous marvel death of Captain "Mahr-Vell".

HigH ScholaR
reminds me of captain marvell

yep the original

to bad marvel ruined it with reaperances of him either alive,ghosly or zombie like. Although his apperance in silver surfer was good but kind of pointless as to why he needed to be there in the comic.

8bitChris
Yeah, I don't see what Superman brought to DC that none of their other characters couldn't have.

Too me, he is one-dimensional and getting stale. It's been a lot of the same thing for a long time now.

willRules
I agree. i don't like Superman or Gambit, they are rubbish IMO.............

roughrider

The pic with him dead in Lois' arms is probably the pic eveyone remembers very well.

That was one of the most contrived events in comics history, for no reason than to sell issues. I didn't believe for a nanosecond that he would really die; everyone who bought it I should've been selling them swampland. The more DC got loud and said they were serious, the more I rolled my eyes. roll eyes (sarcastic)
The death of the Barry Allen Flash had meaning - because he stayed dead, and was succeeded wonderfully by Wally West. Recently, I would've liked to have seen Hal Jordan stay in the netherworld, and let Kyle take over.
The original Phoenix saga got cheapened by making it turn out it was never Jean Grey; so even the Watcher got fooled? Please.

GalacticStorm
Originally posted by roughrider

The original Phoenix saga got cheapened by making it turn out it was never Jean Grey; so even the Watcher got fooled? Please.

There was a retcon about 3 years ago. As per current continuity it was Jean Grey. Phoenix and Jean are the same thing.

roughrider
Perhaps, but during the mid-to-late 80's when Jean and X-Factor came into being, it cheapened the event at that time.

Bardock42
Hmm....I'd say

Batman beating the Hyperclan
Batman Beating the Crap out of Darkseid
Batman beating Supes (in Hush as well as in DKR)
Supes beating Doomsday

Yeah, aboot that.

GalacticStorm
Originally posted by roughrider
Perhaps, but during the mid-to-late 80's when Jean and X-Factor came into being, it cheapened the event at that time.

At the time but thats irrelevant now that we know as per the original concept that jean and phoenix are the same thing. Jean was dark phoenix. the cocoon is just part of her phoenix life cycle. she always dies to reborn and then emerges from a phoenix egg. New xmen made that clear. That way the cheapening of phoenix was written over.

Bardock42
Oh Powerful Moments like you see them.

I'd say

Batman losing to Bane
Superman Dying fighting Doomsday
Gwen Stacy dying
Hal Jordans Fall (You might say Kilowogs killing, or Sinestro.....or the last pic as Parralax)
Green Arrow shooting the Arrow at Hal
Batgirl shotJason Todd (well we all know which one would that be)
Barry Allens last Run

...you might see that I am mostly a DC fan.

willRules
and they are all sad events.............

roughrider
At the time but thats irrelevant now that we know as per the original concept that jean and phoenix are the same thing. Jean was dark phoenix. the cocoon is just part of her phoenix life cycle. she always dies to reborn and then emerges from a phoenix egg. New xmen made that clear. That way the cheapening of phoenix was written over.

Until sometime in the future when they change their minds again, thanks to some writer...arrgghh

8bitChris
Uh...the Ultimates has a lot of powerful moments.

Hank Pym beating Janet nearly to death.
Captain America fighting that Nazi Skrull..
Death of Bruce Banner (Ok, so he wasn't killed.)

GalacticStorm
Its gotta be the Dark Phoenix saga for me. What a classic:

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/8595/dsc000332zh.jpg

Lord S
Its gotta be the Dark Phoenix saga for me. What a classic:

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/8595/dsc000332zh.jpg *Yawn*

wink

Mindship

I agree 1000%. I have no more to say on this topic no expression

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by Lord S
*Yawn*

wink

Indeed smile

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by Mindship
I agree 1000%. I have no more to say on this topic no expression

Agreed smile

havok801125
I'd have to go with bats getting clocked by hal jordan in a fairly recent GL comic....that was awesome (guess he didn't anticpate that)

yahman
Mates i can assure that the Infinity Crisis will produce a moment just as powerful as the Death Of Superman wink

OB1-adobe
Death and return of Superman-when you are having skits on SNL about this, you know sumpin is big in comics. Everybody knows this story, Everybody has seen the cover of Superman #75 (Which I proudly own a few), everybody knows doomsday and the 4 supermen. There was a video game based on this one entire event. Talk about a milestone. It was real moving, even though it was a marketing ploy, still enjoyable though and it can never be done again with the same affect. The subsequent funereal for a friend issues were great because you had just about everybody from DC make an appearnce.

Death of Robin-big moment, still looking part 2 though, anybody wanna sell me one?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.