Do Balrogs have wings?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jaro
This has been a debate for some time considering that Tolkien never actually tells us that a Balrog has wings but he uses words to make it seem so. So what do you think on the matter? Did Balrogs have wings or not?

DarkC
http://gamma.nic.fi/~timbbach/galleria/tolk-balrog.jpg

Zachara
DarkC, that doesn't necessarily prove balrogs have wings. It's just the artist's interpretation of a balrog.

As for my reply to this question: Balrogs did not have wings and then did have wings.
Click Here for the reasoning, its pretty good.

DarkC
I know, but still it's funny. laughing out loud

Zachara
LOL, true, true.

JediMasterLuke5
Originally posted by Celestial
Did Balrogs have wings or not?
Only if I say they do. JK big grin

Balrog's are Maiar, Maiar are lower angels, Angels have wings(most of the time), so Why shouldnt they have wings

Mánwé
deamons have wings but cant fly (most of the time) so i guess they have winds but for show wink

Celestial
Originally posted by JediMasterLuke5
Only if I say they do. JK big grin

Balrog's are Maiar, Maiar are lower angels, Angels have wings(most of the time), so Why shouldnt they have wings
Gandalf is a Maiar and he has no wings

JediMasterLuke5
Gandalf is a Maiar and he has no wings

I know, But it was just an example

Discos
simply because they are mair doesnt mean they have wings - thats the stupidist thing i have ever read, thats like saying you have topay taxes if your a zebra!

Well my interpretation of the Balrog (in the movies) came down to YES they did have wings HOWEVER they were so darn heavy they didn't use them.

Discos - PS: thats a sweet picture of the Balrog dude. which character from the Sil is the great balrog facing? Beren? (I must read up on the Sil again, come to think of it its been 2 years since i last read it)

shadowy_blue
It's Glorfindel.

BTW, nice to see you again, Discos. smile

bogen
yeah i think they did have wings because supposudly they fought at the hights of the world with some elf

Celestial
But most of them fell to their deaths. I think if they did have wings they couldn't fly due to their weight.

Discos
^^ exactly. Just like some of the animals in the real world smile

Balrogs did look gigantic dudes,

ladygrim
This has been a debate for some time considering that Tolkien never actually tells us that a Balrog has wings but he uses words to make it seem so. So what do you think on the matter? Did Balrogs have wings or not?

only when they drink red bull no expression

Flying High
Originally posted by ladygrim
only when they drink red bull no expression
laughing that made my day stick out tongue ....

ladygrim
big grin i thought someone wud have made that joke i was amazed that no one had already

bogen
wat about "V" thats cool to

Batman Returns
balrogs have wings ya dummy! LOL, just playin.

anyways, what does gandalf mean when he says "on the lowest dungeon of the highest peak"? that line always got me confused. he kinda contradicts himself, LOL.

bogen
the lowest cavern in the highest mountain, k?

hope that helped

Batman Returns
Originally posted by bogen
the lowest cavern in the highest mountain, k?

hope that helped

not really. sad

ladygrim
no expression

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.