New Yoda?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sans_Fi
http://tinypic.com/dxbnmc.jpg
http://tinypic.com/dxbnna.jpg

It could be just a fake, but the light seems too exact, and remember what happent with the "no, that new emperor on esb is a fake"

kanis
starwars I like the new yoda better than want the phantom menace yoda was like it looked horrible and the AOTC one and ROTS looked like it was actually there and interacting with the real people on screen. I liked the new emperor it made better sense for them to be going on more about the fact he had a son but in ROTS anakin knew that padme was having children.

DeVi| D0do
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f38/t368458.html

It's real. And not Episode III related...

JKozzy
Now, the real question is, when will we see these "special editions" for the PT? stick out tongue

DeVi| D0do
I ain't buying TPM again just for the new cutesy Yoda... They'll have to offer me more than that...

JKozzy
I would assume so; when they did the OT's SEs, they did more than fix one character. We will see..

DeVi| D0do
I just don't know if they'll even bother... Well, at least this time the changes can only make the films better... well, then again, you never really know with Lucas.. stick out tongue

Sans_Fi
2 or 3 more scenes with jar jar, and probably R2 will fly while fixing the ship. Oh, and probably an even MORE extended race and lots of pit droids.
George lucas gives himself stupid limits like "lets see if we dont have to shoot with actors" (he did this on the SE)

Bespin Bart
Fly while fixing the ship? Why? R2 doesn't fly 'starship escaping from cannons!' speed.

darthvader_fan
Originally posted by Sans_Fi

It could be just a fake, but the light seems too exact, and remember what happent with the "no, that new emperor on esb is a fake"

umm lets see DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hammer
shocking

Lord J
the TPM yoda scared me a little his eyes and mouth look strange

Sesse
The puppet one has tiny pupils and a neutral impression on his face.

At least the digital one looks at something and shows emotions.

PVS
OH THANK SWEET JESUS!!!!

i HATE that frikin ep1 mutant yoda!!!

Austral_jedi
please change the freaking yoda puppet, the cg one is great.....

Sith Master X
Yeah, that looks a hell of a lot better.

chinabing
Agree with your taking this Digiyoda as a replacement, *I* do not!

(Even if it were true!)

JKozzy
Uh, it is true.

PVS
Originally posted by chinabing
Agree with your taking this Digiyoda as a replacement, *I* do not!

(Even if it were true!)

yeah, ok. you hold on to your copy of episode 1 with that half-assed shit yoda puppet. good luck

Austral_jedi

((The_Anomaly))
I knew Lucas would end up doing this, im i'm very glad he did.

JKozzy
Mm. Maybe he's browsing forums such as these, and seeing what the fans really want. I wouldn't be surprised, since if it's what they want, well, then they'll be more prone to buy it.

PVS
im sure he does. well, rather i bet some of his people browse all the big forums for ideas.

chinabing
It's test footage. Big deal, there's tons of that stuff. Nobody's saying they going to replace the puppet on the next go-round. If they do, big deal, I still have my DVD and VHS of Ep I.

Seeing Yoda again was one of the triumphs of seeing The Phantom Menace. The crowds in the theaters I was in roared the first time we saw him, even though it wasn't an applause moment, (you know, like when Fonzi entered the room!) It was wonderful.

I tend to like the vision the artist had when they were done with it. That's why I like my WS VHSs of the original series. Now people crucify Lucas for updating TOS, and maybe now he might do it to the prequell trilogy, and people call Yoda a mutant puppet? Please. Show some consistency! Either agree with "don't touch them at all," or "mess with them to your hearts content!" Why is it ok to mess with prequels and not with the originals?

PVS
you make the mistake of assuming.
i hate certain changes in the OT, but not all of them.

im not interested in 'fighting' for some useless cause.
i dont give a shit about "PRESERVE THE MOVIES!!!111oneone!"

im just all for the ommision of anything that sucks.
that ep1 yoda puppet sucks.

Lord J
i wouldnt of minded if it was the same puppet as ESB and i didnt go and see TPM to see yoda i just wanted to go and see it

Darth_Vader05
Yes they will put in the digital Yoda in The Phantom Menace it will be part of the Episode III deleted scenes but i still like the puppet Yoda the best they stayed true to the original trilogy.

Alkaselzer
Originally posted by PVS
you make the mistake of assuming.
i hate certain changes in the OT, but not all of them.

im not interested in 'fighting' for some useless cause.
i dont give a shit about "PRESERVE THE MOVIES!!!111oneone!"

im just all for the ommision of anything that sucks.
that ep1 yoda puppet sucks.

I agree.

...good thing I never bought any of the prequels on DVD so far. I'll wait 'til GL messes with them a bit.

vanyoda
Well the digital Yoda test shot sure looks better
than the "mutant" puppet that was used in the
Phantom Menace. Part of me wishes that Lucas
would just move on and make different new movies,
than just going back and changing his old films.

DeVi| D0do
ALL of me wishes he'd do that...

chinabing
The digyoda doesn't look better, it looks the same as the ROTS and AOTC Yoda. It is not the real Yoda.

How is the digiyoda being in a 2nd disc of bonus material now the official Yoda in TPM? Until they release such a disc, the puppet stays! smile

How else can I say it? The TPM Yoda looks fantastic! The only major difference between the 1983 and 1999 yoda was he didn't have the ratty jedi ROTJ robe and a little more hair! And they did use a digiyoda already in TPM (in the background as he debark's Palpatine's red royal ship, and walking across the room with Obi-Wan saying "Confer on you the level of Jedi Knight the council does."wink

I couldn't believe they went with a digiyoda in AOTC, because they could have made the whole fight digital, and just the close-ups puppetry. Now that would have been even more awesome than the fight we saw! It would have been incredible, and really would have pushed the boundaries of what CG can do. Anyone can make a digital yoda fight, but making a puppet fight so that it still looks real, now that's a challenge! I know LFL could have pulled it off.

The digital yoda is the one that looks funny if you ask me. But I deal with it, Lucas likes to push the technical medium forward and if that means he has to test things out, we just let him play, because he usually hits a home run.

The last Yoda puppet from ROTJ would not have held up, it was too fragile 15 years later. So for TPM they had to make a slightly younger Yoda, and my memory is failing me now but I think they used the same injection mold from the 70s to form the TPM puppet.

Mutant Yoda indeed, you take that back! miffed smile

DeVi| D0do
TPM Yoda looks nothing like ESB Yoda. I'd be perfectly happy with a puppet if the puppet actually looked like Yoda and didn't give me nightmares...

chinabing
That's what more hair and electric lights will do for presentation. Take the candle-lit ROTJ Yoda and put him in the Jedi Temple with all that direct light, and see what you get.

DeVi| D0do
Lol. You're delusional.

Bespin Bart
How about no? I have nothing against TPM Yoda's puppet being replaced, neither should you. It looked nothing like Yoda: its face was too wide, it was a more sickly green, its eyes were huge (as were the irises).

Transitioning between puppet and CGI Yoda would have been way too obvious if they had the puppet in AOTC and ROTS. Why do you think they even made the CGI Yoda? Same reason I stated. It'd be too obvious.

Lord J
The digyoda doesn't look better, it looks the same as the ROTS and AOTC Yoda. It is not the real Yoda.

How is the digiyoda being in a 2nd disc of bonus material now the official Yoda in TPM? Until they release such a disc, the puppet stays! smile

How else can I say it? The TPM Yoda looks fantastic! The only major difference between the 1983 and 1999 yoda was he didn't have the ratty jedi ROTJ robe and a little more hair! And they did use a digiyoda already in TPM (in the background as he debark's Palpatine's red royal ship, and walking across the room with Obi-Wan saying "Confer on you the level of Jedi Knight the council does."wink

I couldn't believe they went with a digiyoda in AOTC, because they could have made the whole fight digital, and just the close-ups puppetry. Now that would have been even more awesome than the fight we saw! It would have been incredible, and really would have pushed the boundaries of what CG can do. Anyone can make a digital yoda fight, but making a puppet fight so that it still looks real, now that's a challenge! I know LFL could have pulled it off.

The digital yoda is the one that looks funny if you ask me. But I deal with it, Lucas likes to push the technical medium forward and if that means he has to test things out, we just let him play, because he usually hits a home run.

The last Yoda puppet from ROTJ would not have held up, it was too fragile 15 years later. So for TPM they had to make a slightly younger Yoda, and my memory is failing me now but I think they used the same injection mold from the 70s to form the TPM puppet.

Mutant Yoda indeed, you take that back! miffed smile then keep the old copy of the film just cause hes putting in a digiyoda on a DIFFERENT dvd doesnt mean you have to buy it its not like he can change the copy of the film youve got just ignore it and keep the copy youve got

masterkit
cgi ones cool

JKozzy
So, we can't believe that they'd use CGI for a fight sequence, involving a green midget jumping everywhere? Yeah, use a puppet and see how many more months, or years it would take to get that sequence down.

If you love the mutant puppet so much, why don't you marry it?

chinabing
Ai-yi-yi this thread is full of maturity!

I don't mind the digiyoda in "Clones" or "Sith," but I would have liked it better with the puppet. As I've reiterated use the puppet for the closeups and digital one when necessary; they did just that in "Menace," they should have just kept doing it! People hardly notice the digiyoda in "Menace!" But hey they don't listen to me, or you for that matter.

Look at all the physical things Yoda the puppet did in "Empire" & "Jedi":
- Crawl around Luke's camp, eating and grabbing things
- Whack Artoo with his gimmer stick
- Walk back to his hovel
- Make root leaf stew
- Ride along in Luke's backpack
- Pinch Luke
- Put his feet up and crawl into bed.

If they did it in Empire, they could have done it in Eps II and III. (It probably would have been less expensive and taken less time.) Sure use digital for the Crouching Yoda Hidden Dragon bits.

I did some research and they did make a new mold for the TPM Yoda. That doesn't make it evil just different. The TPM Yoda's fine, wonderful in fact. I'll never forget the first time we saw him again! And how Lucas just drops us in the middle of the scene, without any stupid Fonzi or Kramer opener, it's fantastic.

MarioX

I don't mind the digiyoda in "Clones" or "Sith," but I would have liked it better with the puppet. As I've reiterated use the puppet for the closeups and digital one when necessary; they did just that in "Menace," they should have just kept doing it! People hardly notice the digiyoda in "Menace!" But hey they don't listen to me, or you for that matter.

- Walk back to his hovel
- Make root leaf stew
- Pinch Luke

If they did it in Empire, they could have done it in Eps II and III. (It probably would have been less expensive and taken less time.) Sure use digital for the Crouching Yoda Hidden Dragon bits.

I did some research and they did make a new mold for the TPM Yoda. That doesn't make it evil just different. The TPM Yoda's fine, wonderful in fact. I'll never forget the first time we saw him again! And how Lucas just drops us in the middle of the scene, without any stupid Fonzi or Kramer opener, it's fantastic. Oh, you drunk.

dragon milly
While fixing The Phantom Menace Yoda seems to be a good idea, I wish they would just stop messing with all of them. Just my opinion.

kanis
starwars Yeah I agree but I think in the phantom menace obi wan should have kicked that puppet straight out of the window in the chamber they were in on naboo when yoda was bestowing the rank of jedi knight on him. And he shouted "that's for being a puppet"

kalsemo
Originally posted by kanis
starwars Yeah I agree but I think in the phantom menace obi wan should have kicked that puppet straight out of the window in the chamber they were in on naboo when yoda was bestowing the rank of jedi knight on him. And he shouted "that's for being a puppet"

Now, there's a real mature thought. confused

kanis
starwars Thanks

Vera21

- Walk back to his hovel
- Make root leaf stew
- Pinch Luke

I did some research and they did make a new mold for the TPM Yoda. That doesn't make it evil just different. The TPM Yoda's fine, wonderful in fact. I'll never forget the first time we saw him again! And how Lucas just drops us in the middle of the scene, without any stupid Fonzi or Kramer opener, it's fantastic.

Meh. The CGI to puppet to CGI to puppet transitions would be terribly obvious, because one moment Yoda is 'real' and the next he's not. It's easier with humans (and aliens) for CGI stuff, but Yoda? No. You can tell too easily which is puppet and which is CGI.

Plus, CGI Yoda does swordfighting and jumping and lightning-repulsion and all these things that it'd be awkward with a puppet.

darthvader_fan
yea i agree

The Ones
Digi Yoda rocks.

Lord J
Originally posted by The Ones
Digi Yoda rocks. yea

overlord

Oh my god, those pictures next to each other makes me want to vomit.. sick

Gunship Pilot
In december we`ll be looking to a new episode 1...this kind of things makes me like this movie even more...

roughrider
By Attack Of The Clones, I would have liked if they mixed up puppetry with CGI when neccessary. But Yoda looked even better by ROTS, on a par or even better than Gollum. Looking at the PM puppet side by side, it's remarkable how strange he looks. I know they wanted to take some years off Yoda, but the CG Yoda looks exactly like the ESB and ROTJ Yoda. If they are indeed substituting him in, it's a good idea.
Frank Oz has been totally on side for this, I know. The work on ESB by him and his team was amazing but incredibly painstaking; likely Oz's greatest test as a puppeteer. I know Irvin Kershner groused and complained about everything it took to bring Yoda to life, must have been killer hours. I hope Oz knows all this CGI work is in respect to the character he created.

chinabing
No, the cg yoda doesn't look anything like the TESB and ROTJ yoda, his face is too oblate, his ear wiggles look fake, his moves are computer-stiff, i.e to clean and perfect, the hair's wrong, the eyes are wrong, his mouth doesn't move just up and down but lips form words. (I loved it in ROTJ when Yoda says "already know you that which you need" in closeup, and Mr. Oz is must moving his thumb and forefinger apart and together.) At least they got the dubbing right in the last two. I still don't know how in TPM they got Jar Jar's voice synch wrong... he was computer generated, just go fix it!

Lord J
like i said just hold on to the old yoda in copy of TPM youve got

just ignore it and pretend it doesnt exist then were all happy

DeVi| D0do
his moves are computer-stiff, i.e to clean and perfect
Yeah, that's probably what annoys me most about CGI. Even the Clones' movements aren't realistic and they were all motion-captured...

But anything's better than that awful awful muppet they called Yoda.

roughrider
Show some respect - Yoda started as a muppet.

DeVi| D0do
They should have showed respect when making that god-awful TPM version... That wasn't Yoda.

overlord
OMG! Yoda was stoned, accept it everybody!
HE HAS A PROBLEM! SO WHAT?!!

JediStang
Let's stop complaining, the new Yoda looks more like ESB and ROTJ Yoda, THE ORIGINAL TPM Yoda doesn't look that bad, seriously, folks.

Ogami Itto
Yodas species is renowned for that!!
when they get to a certain age they turn into puppets!!then come back to life!then back too puppets a few years b4 they die!!

roughrider
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
They should have showed respect when making that god-awful TPM version... That wasn't Yoda.

Yes, yes...things got wrong with his face; I don't know how they let it go. Taking years off? No. He just looked too different.

Backspace
TPM puppet yoda looks like a crack addict child molester.

nuff said.

kalsemo
Originally posted by Backspace
TPM puppet yoda looks like a crack addict child molester.

nuff said.

laughing

Sans_Fi
http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3094&titulo=Video:+Yoda+Digital+para+el+Episodio+I

Lord J
http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3094&titulo=Video:+Yoda+Digital+para+el+Episodio+I it looks wierd after watching the original big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.