Which is more important?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

RedAlertv2
Well, Im in a band with my friends, and although we are just a beginner band (dont even have a name yet) we have reached a point where we are simultaneously getting good at playing are instruments, and are also getting interested in writing songs. Now here's the problem: if we spend all our time writing songs, we'll probably write some good stuff, but we wont be able to improve as much as far as just playing goes. Or if we spend lots of time playing covers and stuff we will get good at playing together as a band, but we wont be creating anything original.

So my question is: Which is more important for a young band-writing our own music, or increasing our playing ability?

Alpha Centauri
Well if you're already well versed enough on your instruments, I suggest just jamming together on some cover songs, throwing ideas together etc. Covers are just a good way to get used to playing together.

Practicing in your spare time is what you should use to primarily advance your skills, then take what you've learnt to the jam session.

-AC

jaden101
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Well if you're already well versed enough on your instruments, I suggest just jamming together on some cover songs, throwing ideas together etc. Covers are just a good way to get used to playing together.

Practicing in your spare time is what you should use to primarily advance your skills, then take what you've learnt to the jam session.

-AC

indeed...practicing covers and getting them down pat is a good way to learn how different techniques fit together and makes the process of writing songs less of a trial and error exercise

its also beneficial to know the basics of each others instruments so that when one of you comes up with an idea for a song then you can lay out the root notes and beats for the others to build on

Df02
write songs and jam together
practise solo

like the 2 above said lol

Victor Von Doom
Technique is secondary, as long as you can play what you need to play. Learn by writing.

RedAlertv2
Its not necessarily all about our skill at playing, but our skill playing all together. Becasue we are a two guitar band, it is very important we can keep synchronised.

Red Superfly
Make some ideas for a song, practise a bit, do a jam session.

Songs, especially things that I come up with, just tend to evolve. First I get a basic structure, then I add meat to the bones. Sometimes I just jam a complete song at random and tweak it accordingly.

As for writing songs, read poetry and just have a strong vocabulary. I always aim to try and stretch beyond normal phrases and words, and not use "obvious" rhyming words (unless the song tone suits simplistic rhyming). Lyrics, in my opinion, need to sound natural, not written. If a rhyme sounds at all forced, scrap it. Develop a strong sense of how phonetic psychology is used aswell - be creative with vowels. I love to be surprised and awestruck by lyrics, and I like to reflect that back into the things I create.

Don't, for the love of God, have lyrics like:

"I went here, I did this, you weren't there
You said you were washing your hair
You dumped me, yes you dumped me
Waaaaaaaaaaaah wah wah

I hate my mum, I hate my dad
Because I got dumped. My name's Brad
I like to wear trucker hats to impress the girls
Waaaaaaaaaaaah wah wah

I use words like phonograph
Personify and epitaph
Because long and grown up words are kewl
Waaaaaaaaaaah wah wah"

Avoid the above example of cliche, unless you want your fanbase to be 12 year old girls or it's a parody.

It just happens. Stretch out with your feelings (Alec Guiness lol) and take it naturally.

Darth Revan
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
Its not necessarily all about our skill at playing, but our skill playing all together. Becasue we are a two guitar band, it is very important we can keep synchronised.

Learn to count. erm

Alpha Centauri
To add to what Red Superfly said, I'd advise not to concentrate on the lyrics until you know how the music makes you feel.

Unless of course there's a subject you want to write about. Write whatever you feel, don't look at your lyrics and think "I could be more complicated than this" and try to make them complex, as Red said. I mentioned in another thread, Rivers of Weezer has an English degree but he doesn't go around showing it off in songs, he just sticks to what's relevant. Only use complex writing technique if it's necessary and not force.

-AC

EsteemedLeader
Work on playing skill. Then when you write your own stuff, you will be able to pick up on it faster.yes

knight
Playing Ability is important: but if you want to write songs, find someone with even simple recording gear (ProTools) and put down some of you initial thoughts, then you can build on them later as your playing abilities increase over time.

Also it's really important to develop your own style and not copy
another band's sound. If you are playing covers in a jam session or just practicing
along to a CD, don't become a human jukebox, learn the songs, but play them differently, as if you had been the author.

You can do the same song in so many different ways.

mshadowsisagod
i play drums so its different for me..im only a beginner so for me its just learning beats...but if ur playing in a band i think that u should learn songs from other bands so u become really good and when u r good then u should right songs because u will hav the experience and practice to be able to play the songs u right..my brother is a guitarist and mainly learns songs from his fav band like avenged sevenfold and coheed and cambria which i also love..which is good practice for him and makes him become better at playing..he is actually quite good now and if he decides to be in a band he and write songs he will be good because he can play well..he has friends that play as well..he has a good friend who is great on the bass and another really good lead and drummer..so if they wanted to start a band and write songs they would be at a good point and be able to play well..the only time he ever writes his own songs is if he has to for a school assessment but he is now finished yr 12..he played unholy confessions by avenged for his hsc trials which is saw and he was bloody awesome!! and he can also so play in keeping secrets by coheed and cambria really well and its great!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.