Star Wars the Ultimate Visual Guide

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darthmonkey9206
got this book today at my local B&N, and must say its wonderful. Its 144 pages, not 40 pages like some reports had.

Tangible God
Aww, good for you.

darthmonkey9206
yeah, this can also be a topic for "discussion" i dont just make threads to announce that i got something. What the f**k?

maybe i'll post some pics later if i'm not to lazy at the time.

SnakeEyes
I was literally just going to start a thread here, because I just picked up this awesome book as well. Wish it had more on NJO...however, that does not stop it from being a really good read.

Deus Ex
Just what does it have in it now?

Darth Faunus
Just as it says; it's a visual guide. And a good one too. Encompasses all the movies, goes into saber styles, and discusses even the Ancient Sith. It's a good book, and helpful when it comes to these kinds of things.

Lana
Saw it in Borders last night but didn't get a chance to look through it.

Darth Faunus
Skim through it when you get the chance. It's interesting.

Deus Ex
Worth the price though, I wonder...

Darth Faunus
Meh. I finish most books at the store. Shatterpoint, The Unifying Force, every single comic book and graphic novel in the store. . . None escape my slick super-reading skillz.

Deus Ex
You're the kinda guy who sits down and spends time in the bookstore, eh? I used to work at a bookstore. we had people do that all the time.

Me personally, I read books -everywhere-. I also reread them, though to be honest I haven't done that in quite some time.

Darth Faunus
Well, I read through Jedi Trial in under 2 hours, so there really is little point in actually spending the money on the books. I'm rather conservative. I've bought Labyrinth of Evil and Cestus Deception, and found that they have an nice re-read value.

The one thing that I always manage to buy is Alex Ross' work with DC comics. That guy's a prodigy, to say the least.

Deus Ex
I hated Jedi trial. That book was horrid.

SnakeEyes
I didn't read it... probably won't either.

Darth Faunus
It really has little plot, and neraly no character development. There is more focus on two random lovebirds than Anakin himself.

Janus, refresh my memory. I've only read that book once, and don't intend to read it again. What happened in it?

Deus Ex
Jedi Trial?

Nejaa Halcyon befriends Anakin. They spar, but there are absolutely no specifics on lightsabering in this book, make no mistake.

Some off the wall planet no one has ever heard of is suddenly a communications hub of the Republic. Some tea drinking, bank clan wedge headed genius tactician takes over the planet and installs his forces. The council is swayed by Nejaa to let him and Anakin be generals to two army groups to retake the place before Separatist reinforcements arrive. Cue subplot with two shallow characters. Cue rebellious pirates with a sordid past with Nejaa, but that doesn't even cause enough tension to smoke a cigarette. Cue Starship Trooper-esque space military scenes that could just as easily not happen in SW. Cue Anakin helping retake the base (While Nejaa and everyone else apparently does jack shit all) and some lady gets killed, reminding him of his mother (She DID have two legs, two arms, and a pair of boobs so = mother) and this causes him to go apeshit and saber up the complex, so basically no one else does any real work. The jedi/Republic forces win, and Anakin is made a Jedi Knight for... winning a battle.

All in all, it sounded very NOT SWlike.

Darth Faunus
Ah. Got that.

Deus Ex
I need medication just recounting that book. Sheesh.

Darth Faunus
Lol. It never struck me as anything compareable to CD and LOE myself.

Deus Ex
Luceno is a god though. We can't compare the two.

Tru_Slice
I personally thought that "I, Jedi" was one of the better books out there.

I saw the Visual guide BTW; very nice.

Darth Faunus
Originally posted by Deus Ex
Luceno is a god though. We can't compare the two.

Agreed. He wrote the only NJO book worth a peek (TUF), Labyrinth of Evil (my favorite SW book to date), and just simply pwns. Not to mention I haven't a clue who the author of Jedi Trial was. Or was it a pair of co-writers?

Deus Ex
A pair of horrid authors, yes.

Darth Faunus
So horrid that I actually forgot the plot of the book. And knowing me, that doesn't happen very often.

Deus Ex
You didn't miss much. They could have taken out the lightsabers and changed the names and it could have been another series.

Darth Faunus
Pft.

Tru_Slice
Stockpole an Zahn write the best ones. And the only ones we care about, really.

The rest are just barfed-up new authors trying to impress Lucas.

Deus Ex
You're entitled to your opinion, I suppose.

Darth Faunus
Originally posted by Tru_Slice
Stockpole an Zahn write the best ones. And the only ones we care about, really.

The rest are just barfed-up new authors trying to impress Lucas.

NJO authors, I'm guessing. Zahn? Timothy Zahn? The NJO author? Tsk.

Tell me, how you ever read Labyrinth of Evil? The Cestus Deception? Shatterpoint? And the authors of these books suck?

Dan Skywalker
I cant wait to get this book it sounds and looks amazing, although i didnt think it was out until the 6th October!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.