Moon Knight

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ScarletSpider
We all know Moon Knight is frikken awesome. He has a new mini-series out in January, and I urge everyone to pick it up, it's supposed to be a dark, brutal superhero romp. From what I've gleaned....(spoilers below)

Taskmaster's going to be showing up!

Nataku8188
MK is just a crazy white supremecist. I'd like to see him fight BP. That'd be cool.

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by Nataku8188
MK is just a crazy white supremecist. I'd like to see him fight BP. That'd be cool.

Ahh because of the costume laughing out loud no Moonknight is cool - I loved the early eighties series smile

roughrider
Supremicist? Then Daredevil is the Gimp! laughing out loud
Hey, Marc Spector is Jewish. That's never been explored much, him turning to worship an Egyptian God. I hope they never change his look, though; it's uber-cool.

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by roughrider
Supremicist? Then Daredevil is the Gimp! laughing out loud
Hey, Marc Spector is Jewish. That's never been explored much, him turning to worship an Egyptian God. I hope they never change his look, though; it's uber-cool.

I agree Moonies Costume is very cool smile

ScarletSpider
Yup. Just remember, it's Jet and Silver! Not white! Never white!

roughrider
One of the best things about the earliest series was how it launced the career of Bill Sienkiewicz. Once considered a Neal Adams imitator, he started to rapidly experiment with media & illustrating, making him break out into pop art everywhere by the late 1980's. Book covers and commercial ads, he became quite known for his distinctive, Gustav Klimt-type art. Here is some of his cover work.

roughrider
This is one of my all-time favourite covers.

roughrider
More...

roughrider
Moon Knight descending into schizophrenia...

roughrider
Fully painted work that he does so well.

ScarletSpider
Yes. It is interesting to note that when Doug Moench left the series and went to DC to write Batman, Moon Knight--in direct sales (that means being solicited only in speciality shops) was selling more than the Batman titles were! Pretty well for an "immitation" huh? Moench has said he never intended Moon Knight to be a Batman riff, he was originally just a merc with a Moon theme who was hired to bring down the Werewolf By Night, and later he was given a supporting network via the Shadow and other pulp type stuff. Only then did he realize that Steven Grant was very Bruce Wayne like.

Here's a great interview with Charlie Huston, writer of the upcoming mini-series. http://www.buzzscope.com/features.php?id=1093

And partially down this page-- http://www.comicgeekspeak.blogspot.com/ -- is an audio interview with Doug Moench, Episode 57 to be exact, it was very interesting and a worthwhile listen, Moench is an excellent writer and was fun to listen to. His new novel pitches and ideas are neat, and I'd love to see it get published--loved the bit about the Vampire who slits peoples throats, holds them up and drinks the blood as it drips from the wound--disgusting but f-ing sweet.

To all: what's your favorite Moon Knight story?

ScarletSpider
C'mon, guys! Moon Knight! Taskmaster! What's not to love! Discuss! Superfluous exclamation points!

roughrider
Task is white hooded and robed, like Moonie.
Good links. I read the Charlie Huston interview; this series sounds like it could approach Garth Innes Punisher work. And I listened to the entire Doug Moench interview, never heard him speak before, very neat. So he had a lot of ideas for Batman that DC used with different people...Hmm. He is an excellent writer - his fantasy stuff with Paul Gulacy like Six From Siruis and stories for Epic Illustrated should be read.

ScarletSpider
Actually, as of his mini-series, Deadpool and Agent X appearances, Taskmaster has a new look, to go with his new Merc work. Although, whether Finch will use this look, or opt to go back to the original remains to be seen. The new one is a bit less iconic, but it looks more realistic and functional, I like it overall.

The Moench interview was great, I loved the sounds of the novels he was working on, hope to see those at some point.

Blair Wind
so I saw a promotional two pages of moonknight (im guesing the same series as the one in your sig SS) anyone have any scans? it looks pretty sweet

jgiant
i want to see a mk and pun crossover...they have had several in the past but i want to see both of the new versions together...hopefully for a very dark, ass kicking, hardcore crossover...

Spideys Sister
I liked Ultimate Moon Knight. In #85 i think. When Spidey Made fun of him whereing white and he called Spidey and Idiot Monkey....Who calls someone and idiot monkey?!

ScarletSpider
Who says "websliggin' ass kickin'!
"?

Haha, I don't know. Seeing an Ultimate version of one of my favorite characters was cool. For all the hype, I'm still not a big Bendis fan.

Spideys Sister
Originally posted by ScarletSpider
Who says "websliggin' ass kickin'!
"?

Haha, I don't know. Seeing an Ultimate version of one of my favorite characters was cool. For all the hype, I'm still not a big Bendis fan. Spiderman in Marvel Nemisis. Moon knight is so awsome but Hammerhead knows his identity which means one thing....
REMATCH!!!

Lucid Lui
Great first issue. Really has me wanting the next.

Murda Mase
It was good.

It read like a movie trailer to me.

Juntai
Artwork was good, the narration was solid, which is of course what the whole book was pretty much.

Irish Wolverine
*Possible spoiler Warning*

I'm not that familiar wth the character, are we meant to know who the guy walking away with leg extensions is?

marvelprince
Does anyone have Moon Knight #1 scanned? I'd love to read it and they don't sell Moon Knight over here.

srankmissingnin
Actually, as of his mini-series, Deadpool and Agent X appearances, Taskmaster has a new look, to go with his new Merc work. Although, whether Finch will use this look, or opt to go back to the original remains to be seen. The new one is a bit less iconic, but it looks more realistic and functional, I like it overall.

The Moench interview was great, I loved the sounds of the novels he was working on, hope to see those at some point.

The cover art of the Moon Knight issue shows Tasky back in his old duds.

Lucid Lui
So what did people think of issue #2?

I enjoyed it. Good to see Crawley and his flies again. This would have to be the best i've seen Finch's art. It's really looking good.

On that note, here's the cover to issue #5 with Taskmaster...
http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/Aug06/Moon_Knight_5.jpg

ScarletSpider
I agree, Lui, great issue, glad to see some of the supporting characters brought back in and Huston paying attention to their previous characterizations, what's always been neat about Crawley is that, while he's a bum, he's eloquent and charming.

Man, that fight with Bushmaster was brutal, one of the best sequences I've seen in awhile. I'm was so pumped for this series, I'm glad to see it delivering. After I put it down I let out a "wow," the fight scene was just great.

Can't wait for the next round.

ScarletSpider
Taskmaster, bitches.

SnakeEyes
Man, that fight with Bushmaster was brutal, one of the best sequences I've seen in awhile. I'm was so pumped for this series, I'm glad to see it delivering. After I put it down I let out a "wow," the fight scene was just great.

Can't wait for the next round.

I definitely felt the same way.

That fight was so gruesome and awesome. I loved it.

smokin'

SnakeEyes
Still reading this series. Still lovin' it.

marvelprince
Amen to that. Series is great. I can't wait to see how Marc handles Tasky. I'm in this for the long haul as long as Huston and Finch are the creative team

Black Adam
SCUTCH. stick out tongue

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8402/moonknight005007kj7.th.jpg

The Fake Macoy
So now Moon Knight, who can't even walk properly is trying to fight Taskmaster? I hope he pulls a deus ex machina out of his pocket, because he's going to need it. I sort of wish there was a longer period of time for MK to recover, since I'm not sure what to expect in the big fight.

Lucid Lui
When the time comes, Marc'll just fight through his leg injuries. He's done it before, he'll do it again.

The Fake Macoy
Still, Taskmaster seems to be a cut above who he normallly fought. For instance, Black Spectre gave MK a huge fight and Black Spectre was only supposed to have basic training.

AcousticDoc
what is moon knight's fighting ability compared to other street heroes such as punisher, daredevil, and iron fist

ScarletSpider
there has been some discrepancy in Moon Knight's abilities over the years, even when under the same writer. Doug Moench outlined him, initially in Wereworlf by Night #32 and #33 as a fighting tank. Years of experience, master of just about all forms of fighting and weapons, etc. and, while yes he was using a variety of silver armaments, he beat the shit out of Jack Russel. It went back and forth a bit, but Moon Knight controlled most of the fight.

Then in Moon Knight's first series written by Moench, we have the Black Specter fights, the fight with Randall Spector and others where Moon Knight encounters much more trouble than he should.

In some showings, he can be a masterful combatant on par with the best. In other showings...eh, not so much.

roughrider
Originally posted by Black Adam
SCUTCH. stick out tongue

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8402/moonknight005007kj7.th.jpg

Taskmaster's face is looking even freakier than normal. It's supposed to be a mask, but WTF is around his eyes? We've never seen his real face, right? So we don't know if he's really scarred or what.

ScarletSpider
So what do you all think of it now that the first arc is done?

It was good but a bit anticlimactic, there should have been more of a battle with Taskmaster, although seeing Moon Knight inspire such fear in someone like the Taskmaster was badass in and of itself. Having Khonshu--or whatever it is--show his hand was great though, really established just how ****ed up this "hero" is. Overall a great start, some rough moments, a little underdeveloped in some areas, but enjoyable.

SnakeEyes
Agreed. ^

The Taskmaster battle was VERY anticlimactic, IMO.

I was expecting some brutal, awesome fight, but what I got was a splash panel and a couple pages. Meh, I still think the series is great.

I will definitely keep reading. I'm curious to see where it will go next.

Spider-Man's in the next issue!

King_Mungi
Never understood why villians don't just shoot people in the head? He was going to kill him earlier, but nope I will just shot him in the arm and chest and then cry later he is chasing me

I'm enjoying the series, but that irked me

roughrider
Originally posted by King_Mungi
Never understood why villians don't just shoot people in the head? He was going to kill him earlier, but nope I will just shot him in the arm and chest and then cry later he is chasing me

I'm enjoying the series, but that irked me

About half of all comic characters would die by being shot in the head. But it doesn't happen except once every few years. I think we just accept it.

Rewmac
Moon Knight kicks ass...Have you guys read issue 6?? He is just awesome.

FearMe
Never read any comic with him in and never will I suspect. I don't even know who the guy is.

db_renji
Taskmaster is a B***h. I've been on these forums the last couple of months hearing people talk about how hard and good the taskmaster is. I've set back listening to people talk and argue about if he is better than people like deathstroke, or batman, or wolverine, etc. I was really excited to finally see this charater in action, to gauge his ability.

He lost to Moon knight without even fighting. He just started srceaming like a scared child. WTF???!!!! This is the man who is suppose to be better than Deathstroke, please. DS would have at least put up a fight. For godsakes the man was a cripple. I don't ever want to hear about how good Taskmaster is, again!!! (otherwise, this is an excellent book.)

marvelprince
I think the reason Tasky was so scared scared was cause he put a arrow in the guy's heart and Spector just kept coming. I know that'd throw me off

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.