Okay, who DOESN'T have a magic weakness?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.



Khellendros
This was inspired by the thread asking waht Silver Surfer's weakness is. Are there any characters, other than actual mag/wizard/witch types who have a resistance to magic? Majestic comes to mind, he's resisted a decent variety of spells. I beliwve Thor is too. Anyone else out there who's just really hard to effect with magic? Those with magical weapons/armor count, just no spellcasters.

Piedmon
Juggernaut, or at least classic Juggernaut, I'm pretty sure...

Khellendros
Originally posted by Piedmon
Juggernaut, or at least classic Juggernaut, I'm pretty sure...
Really? I thought magic hurt him, he just got better so fast it didn't make a difference in the long run.

long pig
I'm guessing to have immunity or resistance to magic, you'd have to be magically charmed yourself.

So finding a non magical being who is resistant will be hard.

Khellendros
Originally posted by long pig
I'm guessing to have immunity or resistance to magic, you'd have to be magically charmed yourself.

So finding a non magical being who is resistant will be hard.
Like I said, magical enhancements and armor are fine, just no true spellcasters

Draco69
Wonder Woman. Dr. Fate. Green Lantern.

Smaxxer
Is Surfer weak against magic ? I could be wrong, but I thought he wasn't. He has just no special protection against it. But it's certainly no "special weakness".

Creshosk
Originally posted by Smaxxer
Is Surfer weak against magic ? I could be wrong, but I thought he wasn't. He has just no special protection against it. But it's certainly no "special weakness". That's generally true for any character that has a "weakness" to magic.

It's not really a "weakness" per se just, as you said, no special protection against it.

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by Creshosk
That's generally true for any character that has a "weakness" to magic.

It's not really a "weakness" per se just, as you said, no special protection against it.

This is true smile

Khellendros
Originally posted by Draco69
Wonder Woman. Dr. Fate. Green Lantern.
Thanks, though I personally would file Dr. Fate under "spellcaster".

Originally posted by Smaxxer
Is Surfer weak against magic ? I could be wrong, but I thought he wasn't. He has just no special protection against it. But it's certainly no "special weakness".
For the puposes of this thread, magical weakness is defined as anyone who is about as susceptible to magic as a normal completely powerless human.

Mindship
What is so special about magic? One would think that it is the most powerful type of force in the MU.

Khellendros
Originally posted by Mindship
What is so special about magic? One would think that it is the most powerful type of force in the MU.
Well, not so much that as spellcasters are just walking plot devices. Pulling a new spell out of their ass whenever the need arises.

long pig
Strange has never used a spell that wasn't in the Book of Vishanti since it came out in the early 70's.

It's not a plot device, it's just insanely versatile.

The only time he got new spells was when he learned black magic, and he doesn't use that anymore.

Mindship
My guess is, other types of forces (eg power cosmic) are in some fashion, "science/physics-based," and we understand that, understand and acknowledge (however distantly) laws/limits of science/physics.

Magic, on the other hand (as far as we know) is total fantasy, with no basis in the material world. Therefore, we can run with it, so to speak. It allows a much fuller use of the imagination, no-holds barred, free reign. It's like the difference between science fiction and fantasy; you can get away with a hell of a lot more with the latter.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by Mindship
My guess is, other types of forces (eg power cosmic) are in some fashion, "science/physics-based," and we understand that, understand and acknowledge (however distantly) laws/limits of science/physics.

Magic, on the other hand (as far as we know) is total fantasy, with no basis in the material world. Therefore, we can run with it, so to speak. It allows a much fuller use of the imagination, no-holds barred, free reign. It's like the difference between science fiction and fantasy; you can get away with a hell of a lot more with the latter.

That's the problem with society if you ask me. Everything has to be logical and rational or it can't be 'real'. Being rational and objective isn't always the best way to go.

Magic isn't total fantasy and it does have a basis in this world. Why else do we refer to an iddylic time as 'magical'.

Magic is part of our lives, even if we aren't always aware of it.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by Mindship
What is so special about magic?

What isn't?

Magic is "the inner nature of the beings that make up the universe- the spiritual part of all things that is cosmic and eternal."

Seems pretty special to me.

snoopdogg
Does anybody read Superman/Shazam First Thunder?

It does not driectly say but by reading the comic I get the notion that Captain Marvel is immune to magical attacks.

While they were fighting these two magical beasts one of the shot Superman with a energy attack and it covered Superman in a crystal like substance. The other one shot CM and CM just shrugged it off.

It even surprised Superman that he could take that attack.

jrodslam
^ Youre right.

Khellendros
Originally posted by snoopdogg
Does anybody read Superman/Shazam First Thunder?

It does not driectly say but by reading the comic I get the notion that Captain Marvel is immune to magical attacks.

While they were fighting these two magical beasts one of the shot Superman with a energy attack and it covered Superman in a crystal like substance. The other one shot CM and CM just shrugged it off.

It even surprised Superman that he could take that attack.
Yeah, I saw that too. I wonder if there are any other examples of Captain Marvel showing a high resistacne to magic...

Scoobless
Iron Man has shown to hold up well against magical force blasts.... doubt he'd have much resistance against spells though

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/5809/page0108je.th.jpg
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/9932/page0117ho.th.jpg

he downs the Giant then takes a full Mjolnir type blast from Loki

snoopdogg
Here is Captain Marvels proof.

Juntai
Originally posted by snoopdogg
Here is Captain Marvels proof. I was about to say that. lol.

leonheartmm
Originally posted by Scoobless
Iron Man has shown to hold up well against magical force blasts.... doubt he'd have much resistance against spells though

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/5809/page0108je.th.jpg
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/9932/page0117ho.th.jpg

he downs the Giant then takes a full Mjolnir type blast from Loki

but thas gotta be crappy writin, wouldnt that put iron man's resistance beyond surfer level?

GalacticStorm
Originally posted by leonheartmm
but thas gotta be crappy writin, wouldnt that put iron man's resistance beyond surfer level?

How when it was a shield? confused

Khellendros
Originally posted by leonheartmm
but thas gotta be crappy writin, wouldnt that put iron man's resistance beyond surfer level?
Doubt it. It's just as possible that Loki underestimated the armor. I mean, the man upgrades it so much, he probably assumed he was smacking down a weaker version.

Scoobless
Originally posted by Khellendros
Doubt it. It's just as possible that Loki underestimated the armor. I mean, the man upgrades it so much, he probably assumed he was smacking down a weaker version.

maybe....but Loki was aiming at Thor and Iron Man just jumped in the way

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.