Good Game or Good Graphics?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jaro
Would you rather have
A.) A good game with crappy graphics
B.) A bad game with great graphics

Ast
Good game, that is all I care about, though having nice graphics is a plus.

snake_eyes616
good game with decent graphics is good enough for me.

General Kaliero
Speaking as one who still plays the original Super Mario Bros., I prefer a good, fun game. Though I love good graphics, if they're just there to cover a crappy game, it's no good.

dAngEr_Is_gO!
Apparently, Fahrenheit (Indigo Project) is a great example of a good game with crap graphics.

DanZeke25
Good game easily. But you cant have a good game with horrible graphics. The graphics still have to be decent.

snake_eyes616
looks like its unanomous. people buy games for the game and not graphics.

BackFire
gameplay 100%

Some of my favorite games have lame graphics.

DarkC
Originally posted by BackFire
gameplay 100%

StarCraft.

Illustrious
Good game obviously. But you act like the two things are mutually exclusive. Good graphics often contribute to what is a good game. Even those games that are considered "classics" tend to have good graphics for its time.

snake_eyes616
like FF7.

The Highlord
Good game before graphics, I found forexample spliter cell to be a very lame game, even tho it had neat graphics, on the other hand, I play Might Of Magic, and its by far better the game play and a good story is acturly what I care the most for

crazy_shadow
games with crappy graphics but are addicting as hell:

diablo 2
quake 2 & 3
rubies of eventide
darksun
jardinains
doom 1 & 2
zelda OoT
Conkers bad Fur day

Silverstein
i like good games(with amazing graphics)

knight
There are so many PS2 games that have really bad game play, I can list only a hand full that have excellent game play...

1. PRIMAL
2. Defiance
3. Soul Reaver 2
4. Mortal Kombat V

There are more PS1 games that still rein against most PS2 games, especially racing car games. The last NFS game that was any good was NFS High Stakes, the rest that followed aren't very interesting and lack intelligence.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver is still my all time favorite walk-through.
The ideas and the different mixes of music scores for each realm was one of the best ideas in a game yet.

Soccer is a big problem on the current generation of consoles, ACTUA Soccer 3 is the best soccer game, another PS1 production, excellent game play, commentary is brilliant.

Great Games List:

Wild 9
Oddworld 1 & 2
Silent Hill
Need For Speed: High Stakes
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
PRIMAL
Defiance
Soul Reaver 2
Mortal Kombat V
Soviate Strike
Moprtal Kombat 4

powerfulone1987
Crappy game with good graphics for me. Holla.

darth_royke
graphics and sound are what makes a good game great.

Hit_and_Miss
I would say theres a mix...
on a scale...
70% gameplay
30% graphics

I don't see why people want FF7 remade... Its still a great game, I would only want a remake if they were going to add more gameplay... I don't want it if there just adding better graphics...
...otherwise why not remake all the clasics with better graphics??

jaden101
good game good game didn't he do well...higher or lower that a 5

http://www.colinwhittock.co.uk/brucey.jpg

Tru_Slice
Originally posted by Hit_and_Miss
I would say theres a mix...
on a scale...
70% gameplay
30% graphics

I don't see why people want FF7 remade... Its still a great game, I would only want a remake if they were going to add more gameplay... I don't want it if there just adding better graphics...
...otherwise why not remake all the clasics with better graphics??

Good idea.

Why not indeed.

They already remade MGS for Gamecube; proof that old games remade new are a very good thing.

MarioX
Good games over graphics... i.e. not xbox. The only thing xbox has that other consules dont is halo 2. Every other game tere is available for other consules at lower graphics but those consules have better original games. Fable, halo 1, etc, are all for PC now too. No reason to give microsoft more money, you already run them on their OS anyway

Hit_and_Miss
don't go xbox bashing... I'll give you 1 reason xbox is better then other consoles of its generation...

XBOX LIVE....

Lets not start remaking classics... otherwise gaming will be like the american movies, remaking classics, stripping out what was good about them and replacing it with americanism... I.E. the italian job..

Lord help us if they ever remake "The Great Escape"
"... I know guys, he makes the jump... and goes off to kill Hitler.."

MarioX
Im not bashing im just saying the truth, Live isnt a game, and PS2 is online as well, and u dont have to pay for it.

Hit_and_Miss
how many online games does the ps2 got? and how long did it take them to get online? Xbox has loads of good games...
PS2 got 1 good game for every 20 crappy games made..

MarioX
and xbox has maybe 2 good games...

theres over 120 games online for ps2, thats a good amount. and its been online for awhile now.

and yes xbox has good games but the good ones are all multiplatform that the xbox gets so none r exclusive save halo 2

Hit_and_Miss
2 good games??? LOL

halo1/2
ninja gaiden
Jade empire
dead or alive
KOTOR1/2
splinter cell

all say otherwise..

JKozzy
MarioX said that the good games were available otherwise... Splinter Cell, Knights of the Old Republic, Dead or Alive 2, and Halo 1 are all on either PC or the other consules. I agree, for the number of exclusive games that the Xbox has, it isn't worth the purchase price of the consule to me.

Lana
Not to mention the fact that Halo is WAY overrated.

Gameplay is much more important than the graphics for me.

Originally posted by crazy_shadow
games with crappy graphics but are addicting as hell:

diablo 2
quake 2 & 3
rubies of eventide
darksun
jardinains
doom 1 & 2
zelda OoT
Conkers bad Fur day

WTF are you talking about? All those games have exceptional graphics for when they were made. Doom in particular, that game is something like 12 years old. Play a PC game made the same time and then replay Doom and tell me that it has crap graphics for it's time. You won't be able to.

Illustrious
Exactly Lana. Most of the "classic" games had revolutionary graphics for its time.

Good graphics and presentation bring attention to a game, good gameplay carries the attention: combine the two, and you have a classic.

It is NOT mutually exclusive.

crazy_shadow
Originally posted by Lana
Not to mention the fact that Halo is WAY overrated.

Gameplay is much more important than the graphics for me.

WTF are you talking about? All those games have exceptional graphics for when they were made. Doom in particular, that game is something like 12 years old. Play a PC game made the same time and then replay Doom and tell me that it has crap graphics for it's time. You won't be able to.

lol darksun good graphics? the others are ok graphics but darksun? jeez it sux ass! LOL but it's addicting...2nd most addicting game i got into really

el_barto
Originally posted by BackFire
gameplay 100%

Same here. Quake, StarCraft, Doom, etc etc.

Fire
Good game is far more important, look at games like Civ 2 GREAT GAME but the graphics are worth shit.

Zen2nd
Okay, Lana and Hit_and_Miss, if you really are gamers you shouldn't really be bashing other consoles. Because since you like games there really shouldn't be a problem then. Every system has its weaknesses and strengths.

I would prefer better game-play but it needs to be balanced with graphics or the game just won't work.

If it wasn't for the increase of better graphics then FPS wouldn't really have taken off.

Lana
Originally posted by Zen2nd
Okay, Lana and Hit_and_Miss, if you really are gamers you shouldn't really be bashing other consoles. Because since you like games there really shouldn't be a problem then. Every system has its weaknesses and strengths.

I would prefer better game-play but it needs to be balanced with graphics or the game just won't work.

If it wasn't for the increase of better graphics then FPS wouldn't really have taken off.

Show me where I bashed other consoles; all I said was that Halo was way overrated. Which it is.

Tru_Slice
This is funny. Keep talking/typing. laughing

Hit_and_Miss
I'm not bashing the PS2 just defending the xbox from its first attack...

Zen2nd
Yeah I've gone and done it again. Lana your name wasn't suppose to be there I copy and pasted the wrong thing sad forgive me.

I meant MarioX

But the truth is you are bashing the console.

And I'm just going to leave it at that. Really you shouldn't have to defend your console at all, its all about the gaming isn't it after all? Who cares what other people think, once you are playing the games that you like and continue to play them what do others peoples opinions matter?

One day in the future we will have a gaming society where we all come together and live in peace stick out tongue

Illustrious
Originally posted by el_barto
Same here. Quake, StarCraft, Doom, etc etc.

None of those games had bad graphics compared to its contemporaries.

Lana
Doom, as I said, had exceptional graphics for its time. Compared to today's games they're nothing special, but the game was made what, 12 years ago? Quake and StarCraft are also pretty old, and also in comparison to games made the same time, had great graphics.

JKozzy
In some instances, Xbox bashing isn't consule bashing, moreso company bashing. I, for one, don't fully view Microsoft as an established gaming company. Argue what you may, their first consule came out in 2002. Sony's been around since 1994, and Nintendo even farther back.

Lana
NES was released in what, 1985? 1986? Something like that. The company itself has been around a LOT longer.

Personally I'm not an Xbox fan either...just aren't enough good exclusive games to justify buying it. The games I'm interested in that were made for Xbox were ported to other systems as well, so why bother?

powerfulone1987
Hit and Miss:"I don't see why people want FF7 remade... Its still a great game, I would only want a remake if they were going to add more gameplay... I don't want it if there just adding better graphics...
...otherwise why not remake all the clasics with better graphics??"

I would like for them to remake it since I never played the first one. It would be a good way to bring in people who never played it to play it.
It would attract more people and people who probably never would of played it.
And because it's so hard to find, bringing it out in a new game would make it easier for people to obtain it.

And because I never played it, and want to play it, I know that I am more likely to play it if they remake it for the PS3 than if they don't.

powerfulone1987
I think I remembering learning that the PS3 isn't backwards compatible.

Is this true?

If it is, that sucks.

Zen2nd
For people who don't have other consoles I guess.

Lana
Originally posted by powerfulone1987
I think I remembering learning that the PS3 isn't backwards compatible.

Is this true?

If it is, that sucks.

Not sure, I don't remember. Personally of the next-gens I'm probably going to get a Nintendo Revolution, I'll bother with PS3 once they make a Final Fantasy game for that system. As FFXII is going to be for PS2, though, it'll be a few years away.

Originally posted by Zen2nd
For people who don't have other consoles I guess.

Most have been ported for PC, too.

Zen2nd
OKAY, Then for people who only have a "standard" computer.

Lana
A 'standard' computer these days is enough to play most games.

Hit_and_Miss
FF 7 isn't hard to get at all... I've seen it in the games shops around me...
Ebay even has about 20 actions of it... going for about 10-20 dollars... which is a steal for the game...

DarkC
Super Mario 64's damn old and I still enjoy it.

Tru_Slice
I have FFVII for the PC...how much is that worth on Ebay?

Lana
Originally posted by Hit_and_Miss
FF 7 isn't hard to get at all... I've seen it in the games shops around me...
Ebay even has about 20 actions of it... going for about 10-20 dollars... which is a steal for the game...

I can't find it ANYWHERE around where I live. I've been looking for it for 4 years.

Originally posted by DarkC
Super Mario 64's damn old and I still enjoy it.

I love that game.

JToTheP
Gameplay over Graphics, it is what makes classics, and why old-school games will always appeal for replay value more than 60+ hour new games.

powerfulone1987
Well I can't Final Fantasy VII anywhere so it doesn't apply to everybody when it is easy to find in one area.

Blue Dragon
Obvious? Good game rubbish graphics! But I do like a game with good graphics, it has to have good graphics, but I would rather have good gameplay.

JToTheP
Lately bad gameplay comes WITH Bad Graphics, which is why you can only look for the bad graphics, good gameplay to work with old school games.

Blue Dragon
I do like good graphics. If something has bad graphics it won't strike me, unless I know it's good. smile

Vertual Joe (spelt wrong) has bad graphics, but doesn't look that good either.

Tru_Slice
Grand Theft Auto: Horrible Graphics, Awesome Gameplay.

powerfulone1987
Viewtiful Joe had good, unique, and different graphics. I like them.

JToTheP
Whoever the hell thinks Viewtiful Joe, and Wind Waker have bad graphics is a drug addict.

No, only San Andreas on Ps2 has bad graphics, but that is due to the amount of detail on the DVD-Rom, Vice City & 3 looked fine, and of course do on XBox & PC.

Blue Dragon
I'm no drug addict. Wind Waker has nice graphics, but they're not for me. I like realistic graphics. As for Viewtiful Joe, I don't like the graphics.

powerfulone1987
I think realistic graphics are overrated. And too much emphasis is put on them.

Sometimes you just want a fun different unique game. Some imaginary coming from the imagination.
Something creative and maybe even innovative.

I get enough realism in my everyday life and it is fun to have a retreat to a imaginary world with people with over large body parts that are the norm in the world in the game. Or have graphics like in Viewtiful Joe or Windwaker or nothing like them but still something different and anything other than realisitic.

Don't get me wrong. I do like realistic graphics sometimes, but I also like unrealistic graphics a lot of the times.

Game creators need to focus on working with what they have and make great games with what they have instead of just focusing on all these games with an attempt at realism which leaves many disappointed sometimes and other parts of the game lacking because of the focus on realism.

I for one never hear anybody complaining about the Gameboy Graphics.
That's the because many of the games are of good quality and the graphics work just fine with them. They are working with what they have and it is working and paying off in the end.

Others could learn a few things from Nintendo.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.