If you're a dog lover....don't read this article.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WindDancer
I really don't know if The Sun is a reliable newspaper but look at this:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005450117,00.html

Warning

Picture might offend Pet owners.

Alpha Centauri
Of course that's pretty barbaric, but The Sun is the worst newspaper in the world. Or at LEAST this side of the atlantic.

-AC

DarkC
shocking

Those crazy bastards!

Alpha Centauri
They're barking mad.

-AC

Spelljammer
SpellJammer is not offended if the animals are drugged or something so they don't feel pain..

PVS
Originally posted by Spelljammer
SpellJammer is not offended if the animals are drugged or something so they don't feel pain..

then can we shove a hook in your mouth and drag you along the ocean as sharkbait? we'll drug you so it wont hurt a bit and you might actually prove useful for a change yes

La Vierge
OMFG! GROSS!

Did u notic ethe clevage chicks and stuff? I bet that's what led you to the article...

WindDancer
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Of course that's pretty barbaric, but The Sun is the worst newspaper in the world. Or at LEAST this side of the atlantic.

-AC

Well, I'll take your word for it AC. You live in the UK.

Human cruelty is indeed shocking, DarkC

Originally posted by Spelljammer

I seriously doubt that ANY drug will keep any creature numb after a shark has rip-off half the body.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys let's keep any bashing or harsh comments towards other members out of this thread. Please....

KharmaDog
If this is true why is the sun the only paper reporting it? Until I see other proof I would bet that this is a hoax.

Alpha Centauri
Yeah, exactly.

The Sun are the NME of newspapers, but much worse.

-AC

WindDancer
Well, if it is a hoax then the RSPCA in the UK is taking it seriously.

http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RSPCA/RSPCARedirect&pg=sharkbait

leana marie
*...*

KharmaDog
If one were to bait an animal for shark fishing you would use a much bigger hook. It would also be a single barbed hook which is stronger an offers a more positive hooking percentage.

Live bait would be undesirable because it would thrash and lessen your hooking percentage. A dead bait is more effect because it is taken more easily and offers a more positive hookset.

Lastly, a shark attacks the rear or middle of it's prey, those (faked) hooks in the dogs mouth would not hook a shark.

FeceMan
Originally posted by KharmaDog
If one were to bait an animal for shark fishing you would use a much bigger hook. It would also be a single barbed hook which is stronger an offers a more positive hooking percentage.

Live bait would be undesirable because it would thrash and lessen your hooking percentage. A dead bait is more effect because it is taken more easily and offers a more positive hookset.

Lastly, a shark attacks the rear or middle of it's prey, those (faked) hooks in the dogs mouth would not hook a shark.
Thank goodness.

I'm no fan of PETA, but this--if it were true, that is--crosses the line.

The True Fear
thats awful

Tptmanno1
Bullshit
Picture is photoshopped...

Khellendros
Holy hell. I don't even like dogs that much but that's just wrong.

Ushgarak
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/sharkbait.asp

Keep watching...

BackFire
My initial reaction, and the one that is the most reasonable, is that this is probably fake. Though, my general contempt and disgust with humanity and what horrific things we're capable of allows me to not completely reject the possibility of these claims, though I hope with all of my heart that they're false.

fini
yeah it could be fake, because the hook looks like its only going through flesh, and thin flesh too. Thats not enough to hold an animal with.

While disturbing, the real thing would have looked worse, since they would have had to drive the hook through BONE.

Bardock42
Well, it ight be a fake and whatever......but how do yo suppose we get to catch the sharks?

WindDancer
Originally posted by BackFire
Though, my general contempt and disgust with humanity and what horrific things we're capable of allows me to not completely reject the possibility of these claims, though I hope with all of my heart that they're false.

Same here BF. I think the photo could be a fake. There could also be the possibility of being photoshopped to illustrate the cruelty committed to the animal.

As far as saying this is all bullshit.....read Ush post. Jeebus!

Kosta
Thats is SO f*cked up right there! I love dogs, so even IF thats fake, I think the general IDEA of is ****ed up beyon belief as well. mad

Hit_and_Miss
I love dogs and generally all animals...(cept spiders)

..But live bait has been used in fishing since fishing begain... Using smaller fish and worms to catch fish. Suddenly cause they use dogs and cats it has become barbaric?

Point being... Should all life be not valued the same, or are dogs and cats better then fish and worms..

FeceMan
Originally posted by Hit_and_Miss
are dogs and cats better then fish and worms..
Yes.

debbiejo

..But live bait has been used in fishing since fishing begain... Using smaller fish and worms to catch fish. Suddenly cause they use dogs and cats it has become barbaric?

Point being... Should all life be not valued the same, or are dogs and cats better then fish and worms..

Well, fish are not affectionate...they can't lick you, or fetch, or wag their tales when you come home...and can't be happy to see you and they can't rub against you....so, I have a harder time with throwing something so friendly in as shark bait.

Bardock42
Originally posted by debbiejo
Well, fish are not affectionate...they can't lick you, or fetch, or wag their tales when you come home...and can't be happy to see you and they can't rub against you....so, I have a harder time with throwing something so friendly in as shark bait.

It's basically the same though.....you know that?

Kosta

Its barbaric when they use animals that have been domesticated for centuries, yes. no expression

Hit_and_Miss
I keep fish as pets... Not small gold fish but large koi-carp... these fish know me and will come to the my hand when I place it in the water...

While I know most people will say yes there is a difference.., Should the RSPCA not be neutral?

cool_dudes_rule
Originally posted by WindDancer

Warning

Picture might offend Pet owners. that is bad, how can people do this kinda stuff.

Ushgarak
It's looking more likely that the photo is genuine, though not necessarily a photo of the described practice (i.e. it might be an accident).

KharmaDog
wouldn't there be blood? When my dog got his face in a rose bush ( chasing a rabbit) there was plenty of blood. Thatpic look pretty clean.

I have seen where people say that the dog actually bit the hook by accident, but there should still be blood.

Go to
http://www.blueoceantackle.com/shark_lures.htm

and look at the hooks usually used for shark fishing.

Hit_and_Miss
It depends on how long the hooks been in him... it would stop bleeding after a few mins...

Alpha Centauri
Maybe he just went fishing for dogs and got impossibly lucky.

-AC

KharmaDog
It depends on how long the hooks been in him... it would stop bleeding after a few mins...

And the fisherman then conscientiously wiped away the dried blood?

Ushgarak
Well, if it had been an accident (which iof it was, need not even have been with a shark hook) then perhaps.

But I think the idea that it is a manipulated image is losing credibility, one way or another.

KharmaDog
I just notice that those hooks are barbless. What poor fisherman in his right mind would use Barbless hooks to make a living as a fisherman?

There are so many things about this story that seem wrong. I sense a peta (or like minded body) campaign.

Hit_and_Miss
Originally posted by KharmaDog
And the fisherman then conscientiously wiped away the dried blood?

nar.. I would of though the whole being dragged behind a boat would clean it up... also as an added bonus the blood would attract the sharks..

FeceMan
If I recall, The Sun is on the same level as The National Enquirer.

AdventChild
..ew..
interesting but....ew..

feralboy
this is why i care more for animals then people

Susan-Storm
HOLY BANANAS- that is the most revolting and disturbing Image i ever saw in My years of life, it is so cruel i might cry from the sight of it mad

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by feralboy

Which are also animals.

-AC

tabby999

-AC

thats is without a doubt one of the funniest things i've ever heard you say alpha, and you have your moments...sometimes your worth your weight in gold

feralboy
your right cats,dogs,fishh,etc act better then the human race

Thunder Fox
Originally posted by WindDancer

Warning

Picture might offend Pet owners. that is disturbing sick sick sick

thestarwarsman
Actually the practice has been proven, not widespread and the picture is supposedly true but that of a accident. (see snopes link)

I tend to believe that since there is a bit of truth in regards to the practice of life animals being used it was trumped to really draw attention to it.

Regardless of how it got hooked that had to hurt that pup.

FeceMan
Originally posted by feralboy
Yay, PETA.

/vomit in disgust

Bardock42

-AC

just, lol.....I have to say you deserved this "lol" from me.

Originally posted by FeceMan
If I recall, The Sun is on the same level as The National Enquirer.

What now....the National Enquirer is a very reasonable and believable source of information.

Whittdawg92
cats, I don't give a crap about, but dogs... that's just sick

The Force
those french bastards!!!

Whittdawg92
they need to go eat some snails and stop being asses

long pig
Poor dog. sad

Although it's hypocritical to be sad over a dog being hooked and not a fish, I don't really care.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.