Best Rock Guitarist

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

snake_eyes616
Pick one or click "Other" if you have another in mind.

Alpha Centauri
I picked James Hendricks.

-AC

Odie
Eddie he is king of taping on the frets smile

Victor Von Doom
Jimi- untouchable.

I'd go with EVH other than him.

jaden101
if anyone picks anyone other than jim...they need the lads sent round to sort 'em out

knight
Dave Davies (The Kinks)

http://www.kevinreynolds.co.uk/kevinreynolds/new/uploads/MUSIC2~1/DAVE-D~1.JPG

It's_Alright
Slash!

The Highlord
IMO its a tie between, Slash and Halen, but Halen has something I dont know, its sorta like a never dying thing about him, also Jimi ofc inspired countless of musicians, and I accept him as a great player, but I like Halens playing better

KharmaDog
I think it's asking a little much to put Slash and Young up there with Hendrix, Van Halen and Clapton.

Between Jimi, Eddie and Eric you have three distinct styles that are all beyond excepctional and all enjoyable to listen to, but I go with other.

Stevie Ray Vaughn is my favourite.

John Lee Hooker and Muddy Waters should get an honourable mention somewhere (yeah I know they're blues, but whateva)

snake_eyes616
lol, nice sig KharmaDog punk

Stealth Agent
jimi hendrix is a god theee ****in shit

SnakeEyes
After visiting the EMP (Experience Music Project in Seattle) and going through the Jimi Hendrix section and reading about him/seeing footage of him playing live, I'm gonna have to go with him.

Stealth Agent
he set the world on fire

el_barto
Pete Towshend is probably my favorite, but if we're talking about the best guitarist, I'd have to say Jimi or Eddie.

Sir Whirlysplat
According to Hendrix it was Carlos Santanna smile

What the f...?
I picked Eddie ... he's the best IMO

VoodooChile89
EVH is probably the best full package... for rhythm AND lead stuff... but the sheer talent of Hendrix crushes that!

Psycho Ninja
Of all time... Hendrix
Today.... Santana and Satriani
A few years from now.... Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Paul Gilbert

There are many skilled guitarists, but technical prowess without songwriting is horse shit !!!!

Just take a look at Yngwie Malmsteen, he plays like lightning but people piss on his CDs !!!

Clapton, Hendrix, Santana.... this dudes are 50%tech 50%emotion ....... plus 20% madness for Hendrix...

Some people even say that Hendrix is the guitar god that descended to earth for a while........

Alpha Centauri
Paul Gilbert is possibly the best today. Quite likely.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Paul Gilbert is possibly the best today. Quite likely.

-AC

Haven't actually heard him, have you?

Alpha Centauri
Heard everything, ever.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Heard everything, ever.

'No'.

Deathblow
Neil Young is pretty friggin good, often gets forgotton in these kind of circles too.

Odie
Joe Perry is god to.

Mikethe bassman
Anyone that has a chance to listen to Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush the 1976 Live album will think twise about this guy as he made a living playing Jimi like Butta and improved upon may licks on guitar.
Considering EVH was still milking his moma and this guy did not have a studio rack of effects to make the sweetness

dirkdirden

Da preacher
Jimi hendrix, the emotions in his playing R just awesome. Same with Prince lol. But Jimi is King!

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Da preacher
Jimi hendrix, the emotions in his playing R just awesome. Same with Prince lol. But Jimi is King!

A challenge: make a single post without mentioning, directly or indirectly, Prince.

Da preacher
Sorry, I'm just starting to discover music, I started with Prince to get to James Brown, Michael Jackson, Sly & The Familiy Stone, Parliament, Jimi Hendrix, Marvin Gaye etc. I'm starting to dig more music, but 70 percent of my music collection is Prince. My excuses for that. I know I will grow in music towards oher artists, I also know that Prince will always have a place in my music choice. I know my opinion is kinda worthless since the only music I really know is Prince, then I'm only 14. And I must say Prince has made me interested in music overall. I just need some time to develop a personal taste in music. And I would like to thank prince for showing me there is awesome music, because I always thought most music sucked (listening to the radio). He has shown me the opposite.

Btw, recently bought Mothership connection by Parliament which is an awesome album.

http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/cms/2004/album_170x170/Mothership_Connection170.6599080.jpeg

Bardock42
Hehe, he likes Prince.

reggie_jax
Sorry, I\'m just starting to discover music, I started with Prince to get to James Brown, Michael Jackson, Sly & The Familiy Stone, Parliament, Jimi Hendrix, Marvin Gaye etc. I\'m starting to dig more music, but 70 percent of my music collection is Prince. My excuses for that. I know I will grow in music towards oher artists, I also know that Prince will always have a place in my music choice. I know my opinion is kinda worthless since the only music I really know is Prince, then I\'m only 14. And I must say Prince has made me interested in music overall. I just need some time to develop a personal taste in music. And I would like to thank prince for showing me there is awesome music, because I always thought most music sucked (listening to the radio). He has shown me the opposite.

Btw, recently bought Mothership connection by Parliament which is an awesome album.

http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/cms/2004/album_170x170/Mothership_Connection170.6599080.jpeg good choice

george clinton is da god of negro muzik.

**** that other shit.. stick to prince and p-funk. james brown is disco nigga bullshit..

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Bardock42
Hehe, he likes Prince.

Yeah, Prince CHARLES.

-AC

Bardock42
Yeah, Prince CHARLES.

-AC

Wow. There are some jokes that cross a line. How dare you use the British Royalty for such a joke? You call yourself Englishman? Shame on you, I say. Shame on you.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
A challenge: make a single post without mentioning, directly or indirectly, Prince.

Sorry, I'm just starting to discover music, I started with Prince to get to James Brown, Michael Jackson, Sly & The Familiy Stone, Parliament, Jimi Hendrix, Marvin Gaye etc. I'm starting to dig more music, but 70 percent of my music collection is Prince . My excuses for that. I know I will grow in music towards oher artists, I also know that Prince will always have a place in my music choice. I know my opinion is kinda worthless since the only music I really know is Prince , then I'm only 14. And I must say Prince has made me interested in music overall. I just need some time to develop a personal taste in music. And I would like to thank prince for showing me there is awesome music, because I always thought most music sucked (listening to the radio). He (Prince) has shown me the opposite.

So close.

BackFire
Hahahahaha

Gideon
Neal Schon > Slash and Angus - and he's easily on par with Van Halen in technical/playing ability.

When Carlos Santana asks you to join his band at the age of 14, and Eric Clapton asks you to join Derek and the Dominos at the same time, you're pretty damn good.

vanice
out of these, jimi hendrix all the way.. he is the one of these who can play guitar with feeling and then of course, he's damn skilled. guitar playing skill however is NOT, i repeat NOT playing the fastest you can. that buckethead guy had no skill whatsoever, he just plowed the guitar up and down a couple of times. anyone can learn a major scale and play it in 260 BPM, aint a problem.

Pezmerga
Alex Lifeson! ok maybe not, but he deserves some love.
Hendrix is the obvious choice.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by vanice
out of these, jimi hendrix all the way.. he is the one of these who can play guitar with feeling and then of course, he's damn skilled. guitar playing skill however is NOT, i repeat NOT playing the fastest you can. that buckethead guy had no skill whatsoever, he just plowed the guitar up and down a couple of times. anyone can learn a major scale and play it in 260 BPM, aint a problem.

While this is mostly true, I would make two points.

Buckethead does have skill- you just explained that.

Secondly, I believe you mean while he is proficient, he is not necessarily musically talented. That is also not true.

§P0oONY
I think Brian May is right up there.

vanice
While this is mostly true, I would make two points.

Buckethead does have skill- you just explained that.

Secondly, I believe you mean while he is proficient, he is not necessarily musically talented. That is also not true.

the clip I saw didn't impress much.

Victor Von Doom
the clip I saw didn't impress much.

Regardless, he is very skilled.

I wouldn't go crazy over the guy, but I thought I'd point it out.

~Flamboyant~
Other

Victor Von Doom
Why would you write 'other' and then fail to name them?

Doc Potato
'Cos he's a genius... roll eyes (sarcastic)
i put Slas, but he's just a personal favourite. hendrix was the king! rock

Scarecrow756
Out of the poll of I would say Jimmy Hendrix and Angus Young.

vanice
Regardless, he is very skilled.

I wouldn't go crazy over the guy, but I thought I'd point it out.

what makes him skilled then?
I'm just wondering by pure curiosity, if I missed something.

bakerboy
Hendrix and clapton, but an honorable mention to Brian May and Keith Richards

Victor Von Doom
what makes him skilled then?
I'm just wondering by pure curiosity, if I missed something.

He is one of the more technically able guitarists, actually. Very highly skilled.

I'm sure you know what constitutes technical ability.

vanice
yup. it's not speed. he didn't show it in that clip at least... but he might have it anyway.

Bardock42
Johnny Marr obviously. Everyone knows that.

~Da Rev~
Buckethead is pretty good, but i'm going to have to go with Hendrix FTW.

dirkdirden

~Flamboyant~
Why would you write 'other' and then fail to name them? Why not?

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by ~Flamboyant~
Why not?

It annoys people to the pit of their very soul.

Gideon

vanice

manorastroman
i have to nominate tad kubler of the hold steady, not for technical malmsteen wankery, but because he writes some of the most incredibly gut-busting riffs. ever.

jbrickzin
Chris DeGarmo

vintageSW77
Andy Summers out of THE POLICE
MARCO PIRRONI out of ADAM AND THE ANTZ

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Gideon
Are you serious? If rhythm guitar is your taste.

Brian May is a ****ing legend...

Gideon

Alpha Centauri
Precisely, he's a legend.

Legend is what legend means. He never said he was some mega guitarist, he said he was a legend, he is.

-AC

Kitay
Favourite - Matt Bellamy - Muse - Guy is just awesome with everything he does, brillant riffs also.

Best - Jimi Hendrix - Was listening to his album earlier and it just never ages...

Kid Kurdy
I have no idea who we can call the best rock guitarist, because I'm smart enough to know that everybody just votes for the guitar player that happens to play their favorite kind of music.

Now, this one is a classic, but still impressive to see :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoFOkZS8OE8

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Kid Kurdy
I have no idea who we can call the best rock guitarist, because I'm smart enough to know that everybody just votes for the guitar player that happens to play their favorite kind of music.

I vote for my favourite if the thread is about favourite, not if it's about ability.

-AC

zackyboy
well...my favorite guitarists are joe satriani or kirk hammet of metallica the greatest band ever!!!!!

DarkC
I like Dave Murray.

ILUVQueensryche
I'm really all-over-the-place with the types of guitarists that I like and think that are great. That said, here's my list:

Tony MacAlpine, Vinnie Moore, Richie Blackmore, Yngwie Malmsteen, Stanley Jordan, George Lynch, Eddie Van Halen, Chris Impellitteri, Buckethead...

As of today, my favorite would be Yngwie...

Alpha Centauri
Are we talking about personal favourite or trying to establish an objective view on who are some of the best, regardless of if we like them or not?

-AC

Nellinator
Originally posted by ILUVQueensryche
I'm really all-over-the-place with the types of guitarists that I like and think that are great. That said, here's my list:

Tony MacAlpine, Vinnie Moore, Richie Blackmore, Yngwie Malmsteen, Stanley Jordan, George Lynch, Eddie Van Halen, Chris Impellitteri, Buckethead...

As of today, my favorite would be Yngwie...
It's nice to see Ritchie Blackmore's name, I haven't seen it much around here and I think he is dynamite. I liked him in his Deep Purple days best though.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.