Pros and Cons of USM (comics)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lord Magnus
Ultimate Spider-Man is an amazing phenomenon. From the mind of only one writer in the last eighty-some issues have come several characters that were dead-on to the original Spidey with a fresh new twist, and some who revolted me and almost made me cancel my subscription right then and there.

Here's my list.

Kingpin: The pizza scene in Issue 80 was brilliant. I love Ultimate Kingpin
Spider-Man: Great. Bendis might have wanted to wait a while more than he did for Peter to break out of his nerd shell, but great.
Mary-Jane: Remodeled a lot from the comics and definitely based more on the movies. MJ should not have been a nerd.
Kong: At first I was against the concept of Kong but he's become one of my favorite characters. I wonder if they're going to reveal he's actually Richard Fisk (the resemblance is uncanny)
Electro/Sandman: Basically the same characters, i have no dispute.
Doc Ock: So his tentacles are in the front. no need to whine.
Black Cat: More or less the same character.
Jean Dewolff: Too old to be a potential love interest like in mainstream Marvel, but I'll enjoy it when she dies.
Gwen Stacy: I subscribed around five issues before she died, but I didn't really like Ultimate Gwen. And her death gets -5 points for being in the Ultimate Carnage saga.
Venom: haven't read it or played it yet (tear)
Carnage: What do you get when you mix Peter Parker, Curt Connors and the cure for cancer turned alien symbiote? Why, Richard Parker, of course?
Green goblin: (hiss)
Hobgoblin: Combine the above with the fact that HARRY OSBORN ISN'T THE HOBGOBLIN and you get my feelings
Norman Osborn: Accurate to the character, too bad HIS ALTER-EGO IS SO MESSED UP
Kraven: He was among my favorite villains. To bad he's just Jeff Corwin who occasionally turns into the Man-Wolf or something (hiss)
Mysterio/Venom: Should have happened a lot sooner.
Everyone they've introduced in "Warriors" so far: Priceless

Sparkz
Originally posted by Lord Magnus
Ultimate Spider-Man is an amazing phenomenon. From the mind of only one writer in the last eighty-some issues have come several characters that were dead-on to the original Spidey with a fresh new twist, and some who revolted me and almost made me cancel my subscription right then and there.

Here's my list.

Kingpin: The pizza scene in Issue 80 was brilliant. I love Ultimate Kingpin
Spider-Man: Great. Bendis might have wanted to wait a while more than he did for Peter to break out of his nerd shell, but great.
Mary-Jane: Remodeled a lot from the comics and definitely based more on the movies. MJ should not have been a nerd.
Kong: At first I was against the concept of Kong but he's become one of my favorite characters. I wonder if they're going to reveal he's actually Richard Fisk (the resemblance is uncanny)
Electro/Sandman: Basically the same characters, i have no dispute.
Doc Ock: So his tentacles are in the front. no need to whine.
Black Cat: More or less the same character.
Jean Dewolff: Too old to be a potential love interest like in mainstream Marvel, but I'll enjoy it when she dies.
Gwen Stacy: I subscribed around five issues before she died, but I didn't really like Ultimate Gwen. And her death gets -5 points for being in the Ultimate Carnage saga.
Venom: haven't read it or played it yet (tear)
Carnage: What do you get when you mix Peter Parker, Curt Connors and the cure for cancer turned alien symbiote? Why, Richard Parker, of course?
Green goblin: (hiss)
Hobgoblin: Combine the above with the fact that HARRY OSBORN ISN'T THE HOBGOBLIN and you get my feelings
Norman Osborn: Accurate to the character, too bad HIS ALTER-EGO IS SO MESSED UP
Kraven: He was among my favorite villains. To bad he's just Jeff Corwin who occasionally turns into the Man-Wolf or something (hiss)
Mysterio/Venom: Should have happened a lot sooner.
Everyone they've introduced in "Warriors" so far: Priceless

I'd agree with all of that except I think pete is too whiney, ok so would we if all that shit happend but come on i don't want to read 10 pages of him whining every issue.

Gwen Stacy's death sucked.

Green Goblin I thought was awsome, when he was a mindless monster he was cool, he was pretty crap though when he through MJ off the Bridge, but he was friggin awsome in the Ultimate Six arc, he was baddass then.

Doc Ock
Why the hell would anyone whine if Ock's tentacles were in the front???

hotsauce6548
Originally posted by Doc Ock
Why the hell would anyone whine if Ock's tentacles were in the front???

Because some people are dumb. smart

doctorstrongbad
Its been good so far, a lot of people were complaining when it first came out. I like it a lot and look forward to seeing more of the plot and stories.

Drache53
My uncle hates USM because of the art. THE ART. I love the art and I love USM. I've read every arc up to Hollywood. I'm DYING to read The Six.

Lord Magnus
Six is crazy.
I'm gonna rip it off for Sea Wars: Episode 5 (watch for episodes 3 and 4: Revenge of the Fish and A New Threat when i get around to posting it in the Star Wars forums).
This has been an advertisement.
Seriously though with the Vulture: Bendis could make that the best spoof villain of all time.

DBZ MAN
i like everything in USM except how gwen died, too soon and a bad story. i completly agree with the fact that it makes no sense that peters dad is the face...wtf blink and a piece of blood even tho it's been geneticaly altered can do all that is mind buggling too. they shoulda stuck wd the symbiote idea. kingpin has to be one of the best villians in USM. he has no super powers and yet he makes my skin crawl.
o yeh another thing i don't like is the fact the spidey\peter is really braveless all of a sudden. he basicaly pulls the finger to all his villians, i can't see how a 15 year old kid can be so fearless, so early in the super hero game....than again i havn't been bitten by a radio active spider..

Lord Magnus
Originally posted by DBZ MAN
i like everything in USM except how gwen died, too soon and a bad story. i completly agree with the fact that it makes no sense that peters dad is the face...wtf blink and a piece of blood even tho it's been geneticaly altered can do all that is mind buggling too. they shoulda stuck wd the symbiote idea. kingpin has to be one of the best villians in USM. he has no super powers and yet he makes my skin crawl.
o yeh another thing i don't like is the fact the spidey\peter is really braveless all of a sudden. he basicaly pulls the finger to all his villians, i can't see how a 15 year old kid can be so fearless, so early in the super hero game....than again i havn't been bitten by a radio active spider..

Spider-sense. He won't die or fear anything cause if anything's about to happen he gets all like WHOA! and the rest of the time he can go through life without fear of death. Now with Ezekiel and Morlun and his powers being all supernatural in Amazing it's possible he's immortal.

DBZ MAN
i see what you mean, that would help alot...but still, which 15 year old kid would refuse to make out with someone dressed in leather...unless he's gay shifty

DBZ MAN
i see what you mean, that would help alot...but still, which 15 year old kid would refuse to make out with some hot girl dressed in leather...unless he's gay shifty

Lord Magnus
People posted on my thread... I feel special.

Warriors is crazy though, I just read part 6. It's one issue of undulled senseless action. I twitched slightly.

Sparkz
i see what you mean, that would help alot...but still, which 15 year old kid would refuse to make out with some hot girl dressed in leather...unless he's gay shifty

Black cat?

Spiderman_RJ

Lord Magnus
Warriors makes perfect sense.

Here's the story. The government's trying to crack down on Wilson Fisk's organization, and have forced the Kingpin to lay low for now. Hammerhead takes advantage of the situation by killing rival gang leader Silvermane and taking a foothold in Chinatown. Hammerhead's gnags in Chinatown are being slowly taking out by the areas protectors; Shang-Chi and Danny Rand, the Iron Fist.

Meanwhile, after breaking up with Mary-Jane Peter Parker is regressing more and more into his Spider-Man identity, and is considering starting a relationship with Black Cat, who is recently back in town and considering joining with Hammerhead in his attempt to take down Fisk.

Kingpin, meanwhile, is launching a two-pronged attack against Hammerhead, using both Spider-Man and his mercenary elektra against him. And in the middle of it all is the mysterious vigilante Moon Knight, who is dedicated to wiping out just about everyone except him...

Doc Ock
Part 6 of Warriors was pretty crappy and corny.

Only good thing that happened was MoonKnight got stabbed.

And how many times is Bendis going to have Spidey get his ass kicked by Elektra??

He can take down super powered Goblins,Ock,Venom,Electro etc but can't handle a ninja chick??? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Symbiotica
Originally posted by Drache53
My uncle hates USM because of the art. THE ART. I love the art and I love USM. I've read every arc up to Hollywood. I'm DYING to read The Six.

Six is one of the biggest disappointments you'll ever read; the final throw-down between heros & villains lasts about 5 pages. We see one, count-'em one panel of Electro vs. Thor: there should have been an entire issue devoted to just that! Ock gets taken down stupid, GG goes "Grrrrr!" and blah...... just awful. Peter looks like a mental defective And acts like one, too....

It started off so promising, too. Plus the art really sucks.

Can't say that I recommend it.

As for Elektra, well, that's yet more proof of Bendis' overwhelming inner need to be dominated by a woman. Ever notice? His women are either total teary-eyed wimps or dominatrixes. And while I am sure your average woman would have no problem smacking Bendis up, Spidey is different and no, it's wrong to have every female in the Marvelverse sitting on Spidey's head and making him say Uncle.

Sorry. That's just wrong.

DBZ MAN
he jus a kid with no martial art techniques and bendis probaly feels he should not be sexist

Doc Ock
he jus a kid with no martial art techniques and bendis probaly feels he should not be sexist

That's a silly excuse.

He can take down Ock,Electro,GG,and even Kingpin but he can't take down Elektra????

That is stupid.

Every time they meet she kicks his ass.

Spiderman_RJ
he couldnt take down elektra for the mere fact she is a ninja, and her speed is like silver sabe, so they are human but posses overall human habilitys, plus elektra was doctrinate by a mistic ninja clan , or sth of the sort, so her speed is equal or slight faster then spider, and as for her punching she seems stronger then she really is on 616 universe.
and she is the only woman who have beated spider......so what is he talking about ?

DBZ MAN
guys, calm down..its a comic

Doc Ock
Everyone is calm.

We're discussing the cons of USM.

Spidey consistently getting his ass handed to him by Elektra is a big flaw when you look at other villains who are 50 times more powerful than Elektra and yet Spidey can take them down,but has yet to beat Elektra.

It's stupid.Bendis is clueless.

Spiderman_RJ
ock has made his statement, but i dissagree with him, maybe is becouse in this universe peter also dislike punching woman, althou i think its without sense that he couldnt web her.

DBZ MAN
yeah i suppose. but if you can believe a man can swing in the air with a piece of web than you can believe that highly trained assasin female can kick his butt too. sorry i'm not saying anything relavent, carry on beer

Doc Ock
I believe she can kick his butt.

Just not EVERY time they meet.Elektra is an amateur compared to Goblin,Ock etc.

Spiderman_RJ
did he actually said, amateur? what a ..........! she is a professional killer.....those dumbs were defeated becouse they had no training only raw powers. remember also that spider has not yet his full agility and still learning with his spider sense, not always he can dodge stuff or fast enough. he also was defeated by the enforcer becouse of that in the begining......so its like he is adapting to a new class of fighting skill,one he is still unprepared for.

Mainstream
and remember U Spidey lacks the fighting skill of his 616 counterpart.

Spideys Sister
They Smurf up Venom and carnage. I mean when the hell is Cassidy gonna get thrown into the mix. I loved how pissed Peter gets but still.

Symbiotica
Okay, let me get this straight:

Ultimate Peter takes down GG with NO martial-arts skills... Green Goblin, now. Probably the ultimate u's most powerful and frightening villain yet....

But cannot take down either Elektra OR Black Cat, neither of whom are paranormals. That makes sense, I guess.

..... or how about NOT!

Spidey is one of the most powerful men in the Marvel Universe, and I am SORRY, I am sick of Spidey having to stand in for Bendis' driving need to have every woman he sees dominate him by sitting on his head. This isn't really about Spidey - it never is when Bendis is writing. That's not the Spidey we know - it's Bendis' self-insertion.

Spideys Sister
Originally posted by Symbiotica
Okay, let me get this straight:

Ultimate Peter takes down GG with NO martial-arts skills... Green Goblin, now. Probably the ultimate u's most powerful and frightening villain yet....

But cannot take down either Elektra OR Black Cat, neither of whom are paranormals. That makes sense, I guess.

..... or how about NOT!

Spidey is one of the most powerful men in the Marvel Universe, and I am SORRY, I am sick of Spidey having to stand in for Bendis' driving need to have every woman he sees dominate him by sitting on his head. This isn't really about Spidey - it never is when Bendis is writing. That's not the Spidey we know - it's Bendis' self-insertion. When Spideys ass gets kicked by a chic it's funny. He has a "I don't hit girls rule." I think.

DBZ MAN
yeah, its quite worrying when a girl with no super strength can take down spidey who can lift 2 tons, be beaton with like 4 punches. has GG knocked spidey out with the 4 punches?

Spideys Sister
No GG never really KO'd Spidey. Doc Ock did. But not osborn.

Doc Ock
Originally posted by Spideys Sister
No GG never really KO'd Spidey. Doc Ock did. But not osborn.

Damn that's right GG never did lay Spidey out once.

Gah Bendis get a clue.

Drache53
I read Warriors part 5 recently cause my school library's f***in gay and won't keep a steady subscription. Not much happened in it, but I have to say, I like the other inker better. They need to bring him back. Feedback anyone?

DBZ MAN
when Art Thibert was doing it it was ace, the best ever. Hanna makes it look older than it looked, 3 years ago.
and at least your skl libary does such things lol

Spideys Sister
Lol. 9, 10 and 5 were my favorites, the didn't freak up too much and I loved the cartooon verison of Tobey. It made him look like more of a whimp than Peter. BTW, does anyone notice that they should be on summmer vacation now? They can only be in school for nine months and in vol.13 it states tht Petey got his powers nine months ago.

DBZ MAN
hmm good point. if you saw in 1 of the really old preview mags, just brfore that really good colouring company stopped doing ultimate spider-man after vol 9, they colouerd a page off vol 10. it was the movie spider-man and his spider-webs on the costume were silver (to represent the movies) but cos another colourist took over it was black again

Lord Magnus
I kind of agree with the Elektra thing.

Writers can theoretically make anyone beat anyone in a fight. You have to look back at it and see if it make sense or not.
U Omega Red was awesome. Just felt the need to say

Spideys Sister
When will we see Silver Sable, Man Spider or any of the classics they're forgetting. They just keep repeating crap.

Drache53
Silver's in issue 86.

Spideys Sister
Vol.14? I only go by Vol.s because that's how I collect them.

MuffinmanMike
Originally posted by Doc Ock
That's a silly excuse.

He can take down Ock,Electro,GG,and even Kingpin but he can't take down Elektra????

That is stupid.

Every time they meet she kicks his ass.

Have you ever tried to fight and stare at a persons chest? wink Not easy.

Spideys Sister
Originally posted by MuffinmanMike
Have you ever tried to fight and stare at a persons chest? wink Not easy. I think thats all Peter was doing when he first met Black Cat.yes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.