Benefits of a Sequel Trilogy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarkAge
I'm not saying it's necessarily a good idea, I'm just wondering if there is anyone out there who thinks it would be worth it.

First of all, if it was made in five to ten years from now, the original cast could resume their roles as voice actors because photo-realistic CG would be entirely possible by then, so none of them would be too old.

Also, people I think would like to see:
the New Jedi Order
Leia as a Jedi
the Palpatine clones
and at the end of the trilogy, the death of Luke

It could also introduce characters like:
Han and Leia's three kids
NJO Jedi
Luuke
Chewbacca's son
Mara-Jade

Another thing is that it would give the series a greater feeling of closure, because it would end at the end, not in the middle. Lucas could take the best parts of the EU and transform them into a trilogy. What do you think?

Ushgarak
Err, it already DOES end at the end. ROTJ was the end. There is no more.

There are no benefits at all to a sequel trilogy because the film storyline is done with. It's an even more terrible mistake to think that basing it off the EU is a good idea.

Dan Skywalker
I kind of agree, Star Wars is the fall and redemeption of Anakin/Vader. However I have no objections to a TV show on after ROTJ although if they were to do this it would have to include the OT actors.

Red Superfly
Luuke? Are you f*cking kidding me?

Star Wars is OVER! Everyone lives happily ever after despite what the books like us to believe.

Return Of The Jedi = END!

OB1-adobe
I couldn't sit through another 3 movies and six years listnening to fan boys complain how Lucas fuked up, and critics say "well, they're okay, not as good as the originals though."

Oh god did that shit get old

Joli Bug-Azi
Originally posted by OB1-adobe
I couldn't sit through another 3 movies and six years listnening to fan boys complain how Lucas fuked up, and critics say "well, they're okay, not as good as the originals though."

Oh god did that shit get old

Too true. I'm sick of listening to people complain about how the PT is of less quality that the OT and that Lucas sold out, that Lucas failed, that Lucas is an idiot. Anyone would begin to have enough of that!

Tangible God
They weren't better than the OT, but God, after a 16 year break, I think he did OK.

No more movies, no more TV shows, just end the SW saga with a few more books at most. We're killing the story's dignity with all this EU.

roughrider
Yes, no more after Jedi - the arc of the true story, Anakin and his redemption by his children, is done.

They should wait a number of years, build up the public hunger, then go 1000 years in the past, to the Knights Of The Old Republic, the original war with their Sith brothers, and the introduction of Yoda. It doesn't have to be called Episode whatever at the beginning, it doesn't have to have the same opening scrawl, or the same music - an opportunity to start fresh. Just like if the LOTR filmmakers went to adapt ancient tales from The Simarilion.

exanda kane
Dude I'm digin that shit.... Although they might wanna leave that like 50 years - there'll be alotta hunger then and GL probly be dead (although live on through the force etc., the barmy git...) so he cant mess up a new part of the franchise - i ignored the complaints and complaiiners earlier -

Yesh! The Silmarillion, im also digin that adn feelin' the vibe...

overlord
George Lucas originally intended on a 9 episode b-movie set or something, and the emperor wasn't to appear untill episode 9! There was a reason why Lucas didn't allow pre-OT literature to be published (except a few), it was of course because of his actual prequel trilogy plans, GL did allow books after episode 6 though.. So I think he just accepted the ending of episode 6, I don't think he would have any idea's anyway, and I really don't think he would just direct movies about other people's books although he did let other people write for his movies, I don't think the chance is high that he would let movies be made about some of the books. They probably wouldn't be so impressive anyway on the big screen to my opinion. The only thing that really impressed me was the first SW script draft.

Tangible God
AW man! I really want to see like a 5hour version of the Silmarillion, tha would be one b*tchin film in which you'd have to hold a pee.

exanda kane
Yes - make that 10 hours tho xD

Red Superfly
Originally posted by overlord
George Lucas originally intended on a 9 episode b-movie set or something, and the emperor wasn't to appear untill episode 9! There was a reason why Lucas didn't allow pre-OT literature to be published (except a few), it was of course because of his actual prequel trilogy plans, GL did allow books after episode 6 though.. So I think he just accepted the ending of episode 6, I don't think he would have any idea's anyway, and I really don't think he would just direct movies about other people's books although he did let other people write for his movies, I don't think the chance is high that he would let movies be made about some of the books. They probably wouldn't be so impressive anyway on the big screen to my opinion. The only thing that really impressed me was the first SW script draft.

The events of Episode 9, became the events of Episode 6. The story was squashed, the bulk of which and pretty much all of Lucas' Premier ideas (not regarding effects, planets and ships) ended up in the Original Trilogy one way or another.

Lucas effectively condensed nine movies worth of story into three movies.

When the prequels came around, he took the back story concepts (he never had Episodes 1, 2 and 3 mapped out like everyone likes to think - he had a vague backstory when he did Episode IV, and slowly pieced together Vaders backstory as V and IV came along, but his original backstories were about a single movies worth) and threw in all the things he couldn't do with the Original Trilogy - mainly exotic planets, the sleek sliver Flash Gordon-esque ship (which is clearly the Sith ship from the earily drafts of the OT) that Padme rides in.

As far as story is concerned, the important stuff happens in the original trilogy, and Return Of The Jedi pretty much caps off the series as much as Lucas envisioned it. There can be no sequels.

Austral_jedi

Ogami Itto
i'm sorry but whos Luuke? What the f**k?

Tangible God
The clone of the Jedi, Jorus C'baoth, who was named, Joruus C'baoth, created a clone of Luke Skywalker he would use to kill the real the Luke, that clones name was Luuke.

Ogami Itto
omg

overlord
Originally posted by Red Superfly
The events of Episode 9, became the events of Episode 6. The story was squashed, the bulk of which and pretty much all of Lucas' Premier ideas (not regarding effects, planets and ships) ended up in the Original Trilogy one way or another.

Lucas effectively condensed nine movies worth of story into three movies.

When the prequels came around, he took the back story concepts (he never had Episodes 1, 2 and 3 mapped out like everyone likes to think - he had a vague backstory when he did Episode IV, and slowly pieced together Vaders backstory as V and IV came along, but his original backstories were about a single movies worth) and threw in all the things he couldn't do with the Original Trilogy - mainly exotic planets, the sleek sliver Flash Gordon-esque ship (which is clearly the Sith ship from the earily drafts of the OT) that Padme rides in.

As far as story is concerned, the important stuff happens in the original trilogy, and Return Of The Jedi pretty much caps off the series as much as Lucas envisioned it. There can be no sequels.

Yeah I know, I wasn't implying that there could be some more story George Lucas has laying around, and about the episode 1, 2 and 3 I've even read that Lucas was constantly changing his mind about it, like Padme being Obi's wife.. And I can see that the prequels were kind of chaotic, because the phantom menace doesn't contribute anything to whole prequel trilogy except for two maybe three small scenes. I think George Lucas should have thought out the whole basis of the prequel trilogy, it could have been much better I think. Then again, even during the making of A New Hope he suddenly chose Obi Wan should die!
Lucas is a pretty weird guy.. But his very first SW script did freaking rock though!

DarthLazious
Originally posted by Ogami Itto
i'm sorry but whos Luuke? What the f**k?

Luke's Evil Clone.

overlord
The clone of Luuke was called Luuuke and his clone was called Luuuuke, but Sidious didn't like that idea.

And then there was vaader and vaaader and vaaaader and vaaaaader and vaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaader!!!!!!! Hurray!!
Wow.. I'm so funny today..

Austral_jedi

xyz jedi
yeah and there could of been a ST if Luke turned evil. But then why would it be called Return Of The Jedi? It would be called something like The New Emperor or The Ultimate Choice. But it wasn't ROTJ is end. Not bell end, END!!! No more, after all SW is about Anakin who died at ROTJ so forget about this thread.

Darth Subjekt
i think anything more, inmcluding this tv show, would and WILL just kill the Star Wars legacy. what kinda show is this gonna be? HBO style or somewhere on TBS between Friends re-runs and Everybody Loves Raymond? Gimmie a break. To quote someone, "It's overkill". and just shouldn't be done. The story is about Anakin/Vader, not what luke does, so anything beyond the death of Anakin would just be detrimental to the story. The only thing i wish LFL would of done different, is start Ep1 around the time of Ep2 when anakin is older and already a padawan, then progress form there, and have half of Ep3 be the Jedi Purges. I dont know, i just believe that chapters 7-9 are better left in the books, not in the "mainstream canon films".

Pondo Booboo
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Err, it already DOES end at the end. ROTJ was the end. There is no more.There are no benefits at all to a sequel trilogy because the film storyline is done with. It's an even more terrible mistake to think that basing it off the EU is a good idea.
I disagree. I would have had no problem with Lucas leaving the series at six movies if he had told us, like, in 1983? That would have been nice of him. Saying now "Oh, some newspaper reporter got that wrong" is a cop out. This is why fans who have been waiting thirty years to see Luke etc. on the big screen again feel ripped off. I see no need to be a sequel czar. They needn't be official sequels. Remember, by the way, that Star Wars was originally described as being, and I quote "from the adventures of Luke Skywalker," not Anakin. Okay? Everyone seems to have forgotten that.

Yes, eps 4 - 6 were squished, and sure, the Anakin story arc is over. We all know that. But I personally felt there was a great richness which could have been explored in Luke's journey to full Jedihood and Jedi trainer which we were ripped off. This, Gary Kurtz has revealed, was originally to have been explored. If further Luke etc. adventures were acceptable as books, why not movies? They needn't be official sequels. Then there are people who (for some unknown reason) are quite happy to see movies or tv versions of EU Star Wars with other characters, but wave the purist stick in the air at any mention of sequels involving Luke Han and Leia! That's pretty nuts, if you ask me.

Tangible God
There would be major problems if 7, 8, and 9 were made. Lucas definetly would not base his movies off of EU, which fills every void for at least 30 years after ROTJ.

I mean HUGE continuity problems there, it would destroy the thing entirely.

Not to mention that, the large majority of people would be sick and tired of SW movies by then. The PT were nothing compared to their predecessors, and a Sequel Trilogy would be the guillotine for SW.

Vader was in or based in, every single movie so far, by making ST, you cut him out of this comfortable little loop.

There's just too many negative variables to consider in terms of a sequel.

Shadow x 20
The OT was Luke's story of saving Vader (Anakin) from the dark side

Pondo Booboo
With all due respect, the reason I disagree with that is that, as I said, it needn't be an official sequel trilogy (I just used the terms 7-9 as a catchphrase). The other thing is, I envisaged Lucas would farm out the property to some other director. There's no way he'd be interested in directing. What I'm suggesting is a straight movie version of the Zahn sequence.

As to people being sick of Star Wars by then, I think that's very unlikely. Don't you think that's for them to decide? Do you speak for all Star Wars fans? Well the answer to that is of course no. If anything, many Star Wars fans have been feeling starved for a very very long time. And as they would just be Zahn movie adaptations, they're not Star Wars canon as such, the original couplet of trilogies stays intact, honour is satisfied, everyone's happy.

The next thing I address which you mentioned is continuity. In a forward moving story, there are far less continuity problems to consider (in fact, as Anakin's story is left behind, which is the very thing you're complaining about, wouldn't that mean there ARE no continuity problems?), unless someone has a child in earlier episode or there is some origin issue which will have later repercussions. And if there are such issues to reincoporate into the scripts, then so be it. A writer can take care of that. That's called writing; that's what writers do. And as to said contintuity problems, to what continuity problems are you referring? I think that's just something you pulled out of you hat to justify being a sequel czar.

Believe me, I'm a purist too.. I'd just love to get some kind of payoff for waiting to see Luke in action for again for so long, even if it was just one movie condensed story.

xyz jedi
The clone of Luuke was called Luuuke and his clone was called Luuuuke, but Sidious didn't like that idea.

And then there was vaader and vaaader and vaaaader and vaaaaader and vaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaader!!!!!!! Hurray!!
Wow.. I'm so funny today..
JumpyJumpyJumpyJumpyJumpyJumpyJumpyJumpyJumpyJumpy

xyz jedi
omg hysterical
laughing

exanda kane
Originally posted by Pondo Booboo
With all due respect, the reason I disagree with that is that, as I said, it needn't be an official sequel trilogy (I just used the terms 7-9 as a catchphrase). The other thing is, I envisaged Lucas would farm out the property to some other director. There's no way he'd be interested in directing. What I'm suggesting is a straight movie version of the Zahn sequence.

As to people being sick of Star Wars by then, I think that's very unlikely. Don't you think that's for them to decide? Do you speak for all Star Wars fans? Well the answer to that is of course no. If anything, many Star Wars fans have been feeling starved for a very very long time. And as they would just be Zahn movie adaptations, they're not Star Wars canon as such, the original couplet of trilogies stays intact, honour is satisfied, everyone's happy.

The next thing I address which you mentioned is continuity. In a forward moving story, there are far less continuity problems to consider (in fact, as Anakin's story is left behind, which is the very thing you're complaining about, wouldn't that mean there ARE no continuity problems?), unless someone has a child in earlier episode or there is some origin issue which will have later repercussions. And if there are such issues to reincoporate into the scripts, then so be it. A writer can take care of that. That's called writing; that's what writers do. And as to said contintuity problems, to what continuity problems are you referring? I think that's just something you pulled out of you hat to justify being a sequel czar.

Believe me, I'm a purist too.. I'd just love to get some kind of payoff for waiting to see Luke in action for again for so long, even if it was just one movie condensed story.

Do you realise they are 'ordinary' people in this world. People that grew up on the OT yet rather disliked the PT because it IS crap. People have grown sick of 3 crap Star Wars movies in a row (this IS the general opinion) and they would not buy into a new trilogy after the sucky PT.

Pondo Booboo
Originally posted by exanda kane
Do you realise they are 'ordinary' people in this world. People that grew up on the OT yet rather disliked the PT because it IS crap. People have grown sick of 3 crap Star Wars movies in a row (this IS the general opinion) and they would not buy into a new trilogy after the sucky PT.

You're speaking to a veteran, kid. I'm a purist, but I'm also open minded. PT is crap? That's just your opinion. You could use a little humility. Just tell me your opinion and I'll respect it even if I don't agree.

By the way, I'm a little unnerved that you think being "ordinary" is a virtue. "Only Sith think in such absolutes."

smokin'

overlord
Wow. You are a purist, open minded veteran who has been here since november..

Actually, you can't give an unbiased statement about the prequels because you are a fan. Years ago when I took my (non-SW fan)friends to TPM they couldn't make any sense of it. This is the case with a lot of people.
Although I am a fan and it's hard for me to see what is wrong with them I think it's because there is just too freaking much stuff happening in TPM and the lack of explaning what the hell was going on wich was the case in ANH. And AotC.. Well.. That one was just poorly written.

But as long as you know that we like them. Although we are able to express criticism and have at least some amount of insight to the overall story we actually don't hate them.

I hope this finals the same conflict started everywhere about the prequels. They just could have been better, no matter what opinion.

JKozzy
Originally posted by Joli Bug-Azi
Too true. I'm sick of listening to people complain about how the PT is of less quality that the OT and that Lucas sold out, that Lucas failed, that Lucas is an idiot. Anyone would begin to have enough of that! After 16 years, I think he made the movies for himself. His satisfaction that he finished what he started. He made the movies he wanted to make, not what his fans wanted to see. Everyone else can deal with that. I know if I made movies, I wouldn't want to change my movie to what I feel would be shit, just because I get petty emails and blogs written that I destroyed their childhood, etc.... nobody forced anyone to watch them. If you heard bad things and didn't want to ruin your IV-VI experience, then you shouldn't have watched them.

I see Lucas making I-III not to entertain everyone's requests, but to entertain his own ideas of finishing what he had started. He was so stressed bringing the OT to life, that now he can do whatever he wants, and he did just that, no matter how silly or stupid people see them as. He's happy with his movies, and really? That should be all he cares about. I know I would. It's a plus that people like them, and there are cults and followings, for sure, but cults or not, they would've turned out the same.

overlord
I see Lucas making I-III not to entertain us, but to entertain him? Sorry, but I can't agree with that. erm

If you look at TPM and ROTS, you can see that he pulled out everything he had to entertain the viewer. It wasn't as much about the plot anymore but more about as much spectacular scenes as possible to entertain the masses.
Of course the motives to doing that are very obscure because he doesn't need the money I think.. But it happened nonetheless.
Only AotC was a serious attempt at making a good movie. Yet it failed miserably..

But let's all just go back on topic instead of starting the same discussions everywhere.

JKozzy
And he didn't care if you took it or not, that's what his vision was, and he was sticking with it, despite reviews through the years. He said he went back to finish them for himself in interviews, not for fans. I meant entertain figuratively, he entertained the idea not from fans, but because he wanted to finish what he started. Sorry, didn't make that clear.

overlord
You like ignoring other peoples arguments and just going off topic, don't you?

JKozzy
I was simply responding to posts from earlier in the thread. You like pretending to be a mod, don't you? Here are the quotes, if it makes you feel better.

Originally posted by OB1-adobe

Oh god did that shit get old Originally posted by Joli Bug-Azi
Too true. I'm sick of listening to people complain about how the PT is of less quality that the OT and that Lucas sold out, that Lucas failed, that Lucas is an idiot. Anyone would begin to have enough of that!

overlord
Yeah, I like pretending I'm a mod and you like assuming, don't you?
Anyway, quotes are pretty helpfull to not sound random. It was just me giving advice. big grin

Lana
You like ignoring other peoples arguments and just going off topic, don't you?

Except he's not off-topic, he is addressing posts made earlier in the thread; that is perfectly valid.

JKozzy

Wow.. I'm so funny today.. And that's not random? roll eyes (sarcastic)

overlord
Originally posted by JKozzy
And that's not random? roll eyes (sarcastic) You are getting angry, aren't you? pulling out age old comment.. eek!

Lana
Can you possibly discuss the topic? Sheesh....

overlord
Can you please repeat me? sheesh..

Benefits? No there aren't any.
We have the EU. What possible benefit would there be?

xyz jedi
Can you please repeat me? sheesh..

Benefits? No there aren't any.
We have the EU. What possible benefit would there be? erm... To see Dark Jedi??? Don't know how? They're would of been if luke became a sith. like father like son. lol. anyway, It's return of the jedi meaning Ani is back to the good side. Sheesh..

Would be cool though.

overlord
You just took drugs, didn't you?

Lord Shadow Z
Making films or a TV series on the EU would be pointless. Hell, people would watch and indeed buy them as quickly as it would take GL to make them but there is no story of any worth to tell anymore.

Stories told from books are quite different when translated onto screen and not everyone tends to like whats done with them so GL is not going to want more complaints on how he messed up the Yuuzhan Vong, or how he bastardised the character of Thrawn. If he does anything more its going to be from his own imagination and special effects team.

overlord
Yeah, if he should stick to EU history he would only screw up + it wouldn't be exciting anyway..

xyz jedi
You just took drugs, didn't you? ermm. No. lookaround what makes you say that smokin'smokesmokin'smoke

xyz jedi
GL should of just made 4, 5, and 6. 1, 2, and 3 were pretty good though.

overlord
Originally posted by xyz jedi
ermm. No. lookaround what makes you say that smokin'smokesmokin'smoke What makes me say that? You should read the thread again:

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.