Batmans ascending grapple hook, is it possible?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lightsaber
Hello all,

I was wondering if it is possible to make a grapple hook that ascends up and down like in the Batman movie. The closest thing I could think of how it was made is by using a electric reel for deep sea fishing, with some 300 lbs line. These are used to pull up large fish in the ocean. You would have to attack it to the waist and hope that it would pull you up. But they cost about $1000 or so.

As far as shooting the grapple hook up to a building top. I think that is possible with CO2 cartridges they would propell it up.

Coming down or decending at a quick speed can be done by mountain climbing techniaues, or with the same ascender. The slack pull on the reel would have to be set very strong.

I think if something like this could be invented it could be used in miltary applications, police rescue teams, firemen etc. They could be attacked to the side of a burning building and help people decnd quickly to the ground. Or if a mountain climber is stuck on a cliff. It could help him to be pulled up or decend quickly.

It would be neat device.

any I deas?

willRules
yes but you would have to take into consideration the speed at which it pulls you up. If it was tied to your waist, you could potentially be ripped in half........

Lightsaber
I think you could set the harness in scuh a way that it would equalize the pressure

But you have to admit. it would be really neat to have a device that could pull you up qucikly like in the movie.

NoFate007
Who cares, Batman did it, its a movie, it looked cool, and hopefully they'll do it again lol

Lightsaber
Nofate007,

Don't you realize, movies and real life are not far apart, especially when it comes to things that are possible.

where is your sense of adventure and wonder? Don't you admit that that kind of wonder is where neat inventions are made,

Like this lightsaber I made, sure it is small scale and not as powerful as the movies. But it looks almost exactly like it and it is very very very hot.

WindDancer
From what I understand it was supposed to be a Military design gadget. But because of contract conflicts the grapple hook was never mass-produced. I think is very possible that it could be made in real life.

Jargon343
Originally posted by Lightsaber
Nofate007,

Don't you realize, movies and real life are not far apart, especially when it comes to things that are possible.

where is your sense of adventure and wonder? Don't you admit that that kind of wonder is where neat inventions are made,

Like this lightsaber I made, sure it is small scale and not as powerful as the movies. But it looks almost exactly like it and it is very very very hot.

Uh, you just fashioned a butane lighter or blow torch or something to look like a lightsaber. That's pretty far removed from making an actual ascending grappling hook.

Using standard line it wouldn't be possible to make one as long as the ones batman uses. The cable nessessarry would be too heavy and thick to fit into a reasonable holster, plus it would weigh a ton.

However there is a material that is extremely thin and light, stronger than steel and potentially microscopically thin. Scientists have been toying with using the material to make a Space Elevator. I'm afraid I can't remember what it's called though.

Of course, it would take someone with Bruce Waynes funding to supply himself with enough of the stuff that he could use it in desposable grapple shooters like batman does.

jplatinum
If you are talkin' about cable that is thin it might work, dude.

If you are talkin' about actual fishin line, the speed at which it pulls you could potential rip you in half.

Fishin' line cuts into objects with sufficient force, if you were being pulled at a high speed with this attacheed to your waist it could tear into your body with tremendous force.

I'd take take my chanced with hanging there waiting for a chopper or something.

sevenman
yes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.