Death Penalty

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Julie
This was brought up in another thread, but I believe it deserves a thread of its own. What are your thoughts on the death penatly.

I am for it...strongly, but it also is dependent upon the circumstances....for the sentence.

yerssot
VERY MUCH AGAINST

Ushgarak
As I said in the other thread, I am very much against it as well.

yerssot
that's two versus 1, close it wink / big grin

Texas
You should come down to Texas, we fry the suckers like BBQ evil face

I'm actually against the death peanlty, it's barbaric and so Wild Wild West roll eyes (sarcastic)

finti
I am for death penalty, whish we had it in Norway

yerssot
for what?

Texas
There's no murderers in Norway, just nice 7ft tall people and your occasional disgruntled Viking!

Dim
I'm against it too..

JediOasis
I'm for it. It should be used a little more here in the States if you ask me. People who commit murders are nothing but slime and don't diserve to live anywhere, even prison.

Dim
Well, I don't think it's for us as I society to decide who should die because they're guilty..and I don't think we always have the right person..there's been several overturned death sentences in the last few years because of the new DNA evidence prooved that they didn't do it. It makes you wonder how many innocent people we've executed. Lastly..contrary to popular belief it's cheaper to house these people for the rest of their lives rather than let them exerise their full right to judicial appeals.

ToMacco
Tex, don't commit a crime, or we'll be able to smell your nuts cookin from here! eek!

Texas
Chestnuts roasting on an open fire.........

yerssot
That's VERY true Dim!
And there are others who think that execution is giving an example to others...
explain me then why the crime-rates are STILL going up?

finti
where are they going up, they are dropping in the States.

yerssot
guess everywhere excapt in the States (and I think that's because it handles the zero-tollerance)

Texas
No, actually murder in large US cities is up dramatically this year.
I dont know about other crimes, but I doubt that the death peantly applies to pick pockets and car thiefs.......unless they steal my car evil face

Zed
So the people here who are FOR the death penalty, what do you think a person has to do before he/she should get the death penalty.

And for those who are AGAINST do you believe that a criminal on death-row (for example) can be re-habilitated, if so how.

And lastly for those who don't believe in re-habitilization, What do you believe in??

Ushgarak
I'm really not sure that all criminals can be re-habilitiated.

But I do know that a. a system of judicial murder will never bring about improvement and b. that plenty of countries get on fine without the death sentence- with no higher levels of crime.

Texas
I think that life in prison is far worse then the death peanlty! Let the bastards suffer, that's what I say.

Dim
I wouldn't trust a murderer or rapist..I wouldn't chance trying to rehibilitate someone and then put them out in society..I think at that point we have to just keep them locked up.

Gundark
I'm still for the idea like in that movie....drop all the criminals on an island somewhere and let them try and survive amongst each other. Patrol the shoreline so they can't make a raft and row away...an island where there is a source of fresh water and like fruit or something...but the rest of their lives they have to live on their wits and instincts.

Zed
Didnt the British try that with the Aussies. laughing out loud

Gundark
And they're still there !!! wink

queeq
Escape from Australia? laughing out loud

In Holland we're kinda big with rehabilitation as a political correct issue. Slowly but surely now there's a growing awareness from people that work in rehabilitation facilities that not everyone can be 'cured'. We've had numerous incidents now with rapists and child molestors that got out after several years in an instution (not a prison!) and continued right away. So even in the political correct Holland there's growing awareness that some people CANNOT be rehabilitated. A death penalty seems unproper, but locking out from society for ever seems to be some kind of solution for these individuals...

finti
murder, rape, child molesting.

and smarth mouthing me wink

queeq
I DON'T AGREE WITH YOU, EVIL MAN!

Except for the smart-mouthing-you bit of course. big grin

DJ Velocity
I think Murderers, Rapists & Nonses should be given the lethal injection!!!

All these people who say "Oh no, we shouldn't kill them, its just not civilised", I have a question/s;

How would you feel if it was your parents murdered? Your Sister raped? Your children molested?

EXECUTE THE BASTARDS!!! Will be your answer.

As Dim said, DNA evidence will make sure we have the right culprit.

queeq
Would you be willing and able to give the injection yourself?

And a victim's feelings are not always the right arguments for justice. That's part of the problem. If you solely give in to the feelings of a victim, revenge gets legalised. And that leads to a scoiety of "an eye for an eye". And as Martin Luther King said, in a world like that everyone goes blind.

DJ Velocity
The bible clearly states "an eye for an eye"

Yes I could give someone the injection. I am a cold killer me evil face

queeq
The Old Testament says "an eye for an eye", but then Jesus chances that philosphy to "love your enemies."

DJ Velocity
Thats true. But I am not Jesus, and I am not as "forgiving" as he. Neither are you!!!

yerssot
we can try to be forgiving, killing people isn't the correct way for that

finti
yeah you try forgive soemone who either killed or raped your kin.

yerssot
if you call yourself human, don't be a beast and kill the one who did it...

(sorry for the animals to call them beasts)

queeq
Hey, I;m not saying it's easy or anything. But then, Jesus forgave the ones who nailed Him on the cross, so it's not like it's impossible or anything.

yerssot
eek!.................... big grin
Isn't that blasphemy?
(sorry, couldn't resist it!)

Yes, he forgave them, and that's what we have to do also

queeq
roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
sorry, but admit it, it was funny rolling on floor laughing

*looks at himself*
mad
Laughing with Jesus himself?? How rude!

finti
hmmm well I dont belive in Jesus so to me that wouldnt be the right rolemodel.

Ushgarak
Queeq is right., The feelings of the family of the victim should have NO bearing on sentence. Once we let justice be driven by subjective rather than objective thoughts, it is FINISHED.

And I would like to think that I would not compromise my morals about the death sentence even if it were one of my own that was harmed. I am not impressed by your question, DJ. It makes out that everyone who says that is a hypocrite, which they are not. I have seen many examples of people sticking to their morals in just such a situation. These are better role-models for us than those who want to see all dangerous criminals executed.

Ratcat
Whilst death may seem like the ultimate sentence I think that a life sentence of hard labour, and I mean REAL hard labour, is a much better idea.

That way they can contemplate their crimes for the rest of their lives.

Ushgarak
Indeed. As far as I am concerned, we should do anything harsh short of actual physical harm, and CERTAINLY not murder!

yerssot
guess we are all humanists then smile

actually... can someone recap who is pro-death penalty?

Ushgarak
From what I remember, Finti, DJ, Gundy and even Julie.

yerssot
I might have guessed that DJ was one of them...

and finti is also quoting a fragment of a religious book of the jews so I want to talk more about that...

Julie... I think she will change her mind soon ...
*gets out his lightsabre*
wink

queeq
Well, you all will kill me for this, but I kinda feel for the medieval ways where perpetrators were displayed at markets and people could throw fruit and stuff at them. They'd have a sign syaing what they did around their neck, so everyone knew what they had done. Or they'd have to do community work with a ball-and-chain and a sign reading their violation. The only problem is that people probably won;t forget what they did. But it sounds like an effective repellant.

Ushgarak
It encourages mob mentality, is the main problem. It sounds rather elitist but 'the people' as a whole normally have to be removed from the judicial process; people plural have proven to be poor judges of justice (if you will forgive the wordplay).

Like during the big paedophile scare in the UK two years back a mob of people vandalised a house belonging to a paediatrician (that's a child doctor, for those who do not know). Too stupid to know what the poor doctor was.

So loing as even a small fraction of people think and act this way, you have to keep justice as far removed from the public as you can.

queeq
Yes, the mob is a bit dumb. But there is one problem. Punishment in modern western society is hardly enough to scare people away from breaking the law. I still see no solution for that.

Ushgarak
To be honest, without getting into a Nazi-style society, there seems to have been very little thgat EVER successfully prevented crime by power of fear. Certainly not the death sentence, and I don't think humilaition ever did it either.

Most CONVICTED serious criminals are either organised and did not expect (or at least plan) to be caught, 'nuts', or people who acted in passion. All three areas are immune to the 'putting off' factor.

queeq
Nazi regime didn't work too well either on crime control.

yerssot
ok, please don't talk about nazis the whole time her sad

ok, this is stupid but in the game "civilization" crime-rates drop when you have a fundamentalistic governement

queeq
Why can't we talk nazi's?

yerssot
let me say that they didn't really liked my family...

queeq
That is exactly why we should keep mentioning them. So everyone knows what they did and why they came to power.

Ushgarak
I doubt whether queeq's folks had a great time with them.

Well, if you really don't want them mentioned I will respect that, yerss, but I am not sure if it is the way to go. Turks killed members of may family in the Great War but it is not as if I never want that regime mentioned again.

yerssot
I think that's enough for those for this year... (and that includes 2002)

queeq
My grandfather went in hiding to avoid being sent to a labour camp.

yerssot
then your grandfather was one of the lucky ones
and SHUT UP ABOUT IT!

finti
Yers if you dont want to see this discussed then you dont have to visit this thread, it is more than your opinon that counts

queeq
Hmmm yes, in a way. Still I find WWII very important to talk about a lot happened there that should not happen again, but somehow it does happen again in many forms, be it not as extensive. Your family story, yerss, is just as important.

Gundark
Well I still like the island idea. I suppose in the end it is better than killing them. I guess I heard so many brutal and sordid murder and rape cases of innocents, not to mention of the elderly and children, where the criminal has absolutely no remorse at their trial....its hard not to want to see them fried.

How about this....for murderers, cut off their arms so they can't kill people anymore. For rapists, cut off their....privates so they can't rape anymore. Same for child molesters. Then put them in a prison block with all gay men. Big gay men.

Let the burglars and money launderers and car thiefs do some jail time, then if they commit a crime again, double the time or something.

And make me warden. evil face

queeq
And change legislation big time! evil face

But castration for rapist and child abusers sounds fine by me.

Gundark
Cool. I believe I can handle the cutting, with my experience.

Ush, you gonna go for this ?

queeq
I don't think he's a rapist. big grin

Gundark
laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

That isn't what I meant and you know it, dutch boy ! stick out tongue

Ushgarak
Physical harm is no solution as far as I am concerned.

BTW, odd though this seems to those without experience, the police force in this country has an offiical policy on castration (physical or chemical) for sex offenders, which is that it DOES NOT WORK.

Well, obviously it works in ONE sense, but it does not prevent some form of re-offending.

I'm sorry, but I do not think it is the job of the judiciary to physically harm criminals. And it will not solve ANYTHING. It won't reduce crime, it won't make any problems go away, all it does it satisfy people's calls for blood. Which you may think is a good thing, but I think if we want to advance justice there are other, better areas we can look at.

Gundark
Vader's methods seemed to work fine.

Ushgarak
They did? He killed all his officers so they had to use prats like Ozzel and Jerjerrod.

yerssot
and even they got killed when DSI and DSII blew up

queeq
But not by Needa and Ozzel. big grin

Well, any thoughts on solutions then, Ush? Locking multiple times offenders up for good seems the only solution. And then we as tax payers pay for their crimes.

(BTW I don't disagree with you,Ush. wink )

yerssot
yes, it's better that we pay for them, because killing them costs more

queeq
No, it doesn't. Not economically at least. Having someone detained and fed over numerous years is way more expensive.

mah
killing someone because they killed someone is not the right procedure.

queeq
Yes, we seem to sort of agree on that. But what do we do then?

yerssot
If you don't kill them there is only one more thing: you keep them alive!

Gundark
They should be made to perform hard labor for long hours and get paid, then all the pay goes to the victim's family to pay their bills.

mah
good idea

Julie
Yeah nice idea....but I think a bit impractical.....death penatly is still a better choice....hey just my opinion.......

What about serial killers.....which fam gets the $....there would be some major court battles.

mah
yeah that's a bit difficult, but killing them should not be an option anyways.

finti
you thought that one out all by yourself Yers?

mah
ouch

UnknownBountyHunter
For it:

A)People who kill deserve to be killed.
B)The world is too crowded anyways.

finti
evil face agree

mah
A)So the ones who kill the convicts should also be killed, is that what you mean?

B)the population in the world will stabilize on
8 to 10 000 000 000 citizens.

yerssot
people who killed deserve justice, they have to think about what they've done, we all don't want to become killers huh? Well, then start with stopping the death penalty! It's the same thing!

queeq
What was that line again: "We kill to show that killing is wrong"?

Yes, I'm sure that was it... roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
what are you talking about?

queeq
About the oddity of a death penalty.

yerssot
ok, sorry, missed the point there

ash007
'A killer of that scale is in no way going to benefit society.
By his deeds, he has proven he has no regard for the life of another.
He must be dealt with in such a way that will inhibit him from inflicting ANY
damage on anyone else. He knew what he was doing was deeply evil and
wrong, and he still did it.'

This was a quote form my local Newspaper, In our country we dont believe in the death penalty, but i know in other countries they do.

So i will ask these questions

1. What is the advantage to society gained by putting such evil people to death?

2.How is is better then a "Natural Life" verdict without the possibility of parole that would ensure the criminal died in prison?

3.Is the "benefit to society of putting the worst human animals to death worth the risk of potentially putting the innocent to death?

Ok you guys probably want to know what i think,well i don't see how anyone could think that this is anything but an emotional argument for those who support it.I would really like to hope that our society is beyond eye-for-an-eye mentality which only breeds more hatred sad .

I feel as a race we have not reached that point where we have learned to forgive, i mean we have so many great role models such as Jesus,Buddha,Gandhi but we just tend to ignore all that.

Sometimes i think we have come so far in our progress in technology and medical cures but we have not overcome our basic need for revenge when someone wrongs against us sad

BackFire
I'm for the Death Penalty. But I think it has some problems.

First- too expensive. All these appeals, and a last meal end up costing way to much money. Plus the chemicals used to put the guy "peacfully" to sleep forever. I think if found guilty, he should be shot in the head or stabbed to death, preferably stabbed because it would be cheaper to simply use the same knife over and over. I also think the death penalty should be expanded from just Murderers to Rapists as well, neither of these people have any reason for living.

Second - Yeah, it sucks that innocent people get put to death, but you can't blame the death penalty for that, thats the fault of our crappy judicial system.

If we could fix those two problems, then everyone would love the death penalty.

ash007
yeah but why should we kill them i mean isn't it better to see him live and then atone for his crimes

BackFire
Nah, I'd rather kill him and be sure he would never hurt another person again, rather then leave him alive in jail, where he could possibly escape and kill/rape/hurt again.

lil bitchiness
Wasnt a thread like this that got closed blink

The Omega and myself against the world! big grin

Im against the death penalty. Through and through.

ash007
phew!! i am glad some agrees with me smile

lil bitchiness
I think you'll find quite a few people will agree. yes

Clark_Kent
burn the witches, hang the buzzers, shock the killers, poison the bad, and let the misderminor's walk...

Xena
I'm also against the death penalty. is barbaric and is against my religion and faith.

ash007
indeed but why do a civilized society like US have the death penalty in the first place

Xena
simply because it's been in our country since the earlier days of colonazation. I know BackFire has his reason for supportin it. But I don't accept them. There is another individual who supports the death penalty very strongly. so watch out for his comments.

Just giving you a heads up!

BackFire
I simply see no reason as to why people who kill other people should be allowed to live a full life, with free food, clothes, medicare and other luxuries that are afforded to a person during a life sentance in a prison.

speiderman
I think that a prisoner should have as many necessary appeals as possible. But I do support the death penalty. I lived not far from one of the places the D.C snipers struck. Both of them deserve the death penalty.

shake zula
an eye for an eye. i'm with backfire with the shooting thing. take in the back room, shoot them painlessly in the back of the head. sounds too much, i know. but i'm pretty sure what they did was worse and they deserve whatever end of that deal they got.

Darth Revan
Me too big grin

Though I must say Backfire has a point... If this is punishment for their crimes, why do we care that it's done "humanely"? I mean, it's not like somebody's poor dog who has cancer and needs to be euthanized...

That's not to say I support the death penalty.. I'm against the it...

And Backfire, they don't really live "full" lives when they're behind bars. People who commit severe enough crimes don't get the same treatment as most other prisoners, in a lot of cases. Sometimes they lock people up in a totally isolated cell, no contact with the outside world, except the occasional meal that gets shoved through a slot in the door...

BackFire
Yep, also, clothing, water and soap to wash with, and medicare so if they get sick, they get medical attention. Way way more then they deserve.

If we just threw them into a cell and gave them nothing, I'd be all for that, they'd eventually rot away anyways so that would be that.

Fire
no human has the right to take another's life it is not because someone has taken someone else's life that we now get the right to take his.

It won't solve anything, it is irreversible (which is also a big flaw)
It's bloody expenssive

Nah I'm in favor to life in prisonment (well atleast till ppl are like 85-90, those ppl can't do much harm to society anymore)

yerssot
so... you go to all the effort to arrest a guy, bring him to justice just to kill him? that's ...weird to say the least; instead of arresting him, just shoot him there on the spot roll eyes (sarcastic)

I'm very much against the death penalty, simply because no human has the right to judge over a life, it's even in our constitution. It's your right to rule over your own live, the only thing someone can do is punish you with jailtime if you did something serious.

If you want a killer dead, you're not better than him, you're perhaps even worse, cause you do it out of revange, something not acceptable to me.
There is this huge money-eating trial going on in my country about a guy who did some rather nasty (that's putting it very mildly) stuff with girls and killed two of them... I am VERY happy that the deathpenalty is prohibited here, my idea is: let him get lifelong (which he will get) with no chance of getting out earlier. Some might say that's even more suffering than getting the death penalty

WindDancer
Execution for repetitive murder offenders. Just execute them! Hang em, Poison, electro, firing squad whatever! Those good for nothing murderers don't learn and don't want to learn to be productive in society. Let the judges be wise and have those murderers executed.

eleveninches
There was a previous thread about this.
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30742

Fire
idd there was MERGE

kimahri03
uk does not have it i dont think

Darth Revan
I think it is... Cos even if they do get medicare and crap, they don't have a chance to live a real life...

TheProgramSmith
To quote... who the hell said this?... I don't know. But, 'props' to them.

"Nobody deserves to die, no matter what their crime."

kimahri03
i think they should not die its all aload of crap prison yeah but death no

TheProgramSmith
How can they be forced to "toss the salad" if they are dead?

BackFire
"so... you go to all the effort to arrest a guy, bring him to justice just to kill him? that's ...weird to say the least; instead of arresting him, just shoot him there on the spot "

That sounds good to me. It would save alot of money. The world is over populated after all, don't need murderers and rapists sitting around in jail waiting for parol for "good behavior" just so they can go and commit the acts again, which they most likely will do.

Also, No, a person who wants a murderer dead is not worse then the murderer, no logic in that whatsoever. The murderer killed a completely innocent person for no reason. I want the murderer dead because that's the only way to be 100 percent sure that he won't ever kill again. Also, I want him dead because it is what he deserves for killing an innocent person.

yerssot
than you become a murderer too, so, they have to kill you too blink

§pearhead
but its justified in that sense confused

hasn't this same topic been killed before? huh

BackFire
Nah, because they have it coming, they deserve to die because they killed an innocent person. Big difference in killing an innocent person and someone who deserves it.

BackFire
I think the best justice a murderer could have is to be put in a room with the family of their victim for 15 minutes, and the family could be allowed to do whatever they wanted to him.

yerssot
somehow I'm happy you don't make the law here stick out tongue

lil bitchiness
Not true BackFire! Yerssot is right, but that idea they would have to kill you too.

You are killing someone who has killed someone else, you are murdering a helpless human being, no matter what his/her crimes were, you therefore become a murder you are trying to get rid of.

A family member or a friend of a person you killed on a death row has A EXACTLY AS MUCH RIGHT to murder you, as you had to murder their friend or a family member.

You're view is black and white, and world isnt so, im afraid!

BackFire
I know the world isn't black and white like my view is, if it were it would be a much safer place.

Bottom line is this, if they don't want to get killed, they shouldn't kill other people. There is no reason to leave these people alive where they can possibly hurt or kill again. They give up their human rights when they take someones life for no reason.

If they were ot get the death penalty, it would be out of justice, not cold hearted murder for no reason, as theirs was. That's the big difference here, and surely using any sort of logic you would be able to see the difference.

Also, no. A family member has no right to kill the executioner for his actions, he's simply serving cold hard justice to the murderer, who frankly deserves to die for taking an innocent life.

Heres the law I would make: If you kill or rape someone for no reason other then your own screwed up head, you will die. If you accidentally kill someone (car accident or whatever) you won't die, the same law will apply that applies right now. If you kill someone in self defense, then you get the normal penalty. Basically I'm saying hte only people who deserve to die are the ones who have predetermined their murderous actions, knowing that what they are going to do is wrong, yet they do it anyways. These people have no right to live, they have no right to any human rights. If you kill someone, the insanity plea would be void. It's a stupid plea that allows evil people to often go free and go to a mininum security prison, get treatment, get out of prison and back into the free world, and then kill again, which is what usually happens to these people. Insane people would get the same death penalty as "sane" people who commit the same actions.

If we took these people and just threw them in prison and didn't feed them, clothe them, wash them, or give them midicare, I would be all for that. But we don't, we give them these luxuries that many free people don't even have. That's even a worse crime then murder to me, accomodating these murderering pieces of human waste by giving them these things after they took an innocent person life. We should just throw them in a hole an let them die.

Tired Hiker
I agree. yes Mostly.

ash007
A few studies that contradict what you're thinking

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?scid=12&did=167#STUDIES

The murder rate, in the south, where 87% of executions occurred in 2003, is still the highest, at 6.7 per 100,000 people. You'd think that with so many executions, that there'd be some deterrent, but there isn't at all. One study there even shows that the murder rate in Oklahoma increased after the resumption of executions in the state.

lil bitchiness
Then you are absolutely not familiar with the prison system.

Again, your views are simple! You cant make that laws BackFire and expect them to work. Do you know who goes on a death penalty?? People who cant pay a good layer, those people die! A murderer with rediculous amounts of money who can/will pay the best layer in where ever he is WILL GET AWAY WITH IT!! And its not the first time that happened.

Death penalty is barbaric! Its rediculous that people cant think beyond simple revenge!

''Also, no. A family member has no right to kill the executioner for his actions, he's simply serving cold hard justice to the murderer, who frankly deserves to die for taking an innocent life.''

What are you talking about? Hes serving justice?? To the executiner, this person has done NOTHING wrong, think about it logilcy BF, hes killing, to him an innocent person. What if a killer on a death row killed and raped female serial killer? What then? You are wrong BackFire! Hard Cold justice, is what a family member would be serving to you when you killed their father or sister or mother or whoever!

ash007
yeah what she said smile

Tired Hiker
Nah, I think there is a way things are, and a way things should be. Backfire is just saying how it should be. I've been to courts when I had my news job, I've seen families of innocent murder victims yell at the killer more than once. Every time the killer just sits there, expressionless, and I never got the feeling that justice was being served.

Tired Hiker
I still think the "Silver Back Gorilla Treatment" would be the best way to punish male rapists. yes

Darth Revan
Padme in SW Ep II... *shudder*

True though

lil bitchiness
Tired Hiker, would you like a ladder to climb out of BackFire's ass?

Tired Hiker
There is a difference between young gang members who have a chance to be changed and hardcore murderers who are beyond help. Please keep your negative comments to yourself, thank you.

WindDancer
Folks, let's keep the personal comments out. Let's be courteous to each other. Okay, let me just say this:

To keep a murderer in prison serving a lifetime sentence isn't the right idea. Why? Because to keep one means to keep many. To overcrowed a prison is not a good idea. Plenty of criminals pack together into a prison can create a riot. As proven many times, Prison riots leave more than one Corrections officer injured or even kill. Murderers that have been convicting of comitting more than one murder should be executed. They kill before, and mostly like kill again if given the chance to escape.

Tired Hiker
I agree.

Raventheonly
I say wipe them out... whatever means... yet we must never fall tom there low in ruthlessness.

Creechuur
1. What is the advantage to society gained by putting such evil people to death?

I'd say less violent people makes for a better society. According to Darwinism, the weak are weeded out so the species may prosper. Less murderers able to pass their genes on sounds good to me. Also, its one less convict our taxes have to pay for. Motherf---ers get plasma screen TVs in their cells in Oregon now...with cable.

2.How is is better then a "Natural Life" verdict without the possibility of parole that would ensure the criminal died in prison?

On the other hand, death is an easy way out for some of these scumbags. I would say that the REALLY bad ones, the serial killers and child-rapists and whatnot, should be put in solitary for the rest of their lives. Let them live and be haunted by what they have done while slowly losing their minds due to sensory deprivation. Death is too good for them.

3.Is the "benefit to society of putting the worst human animals to death worth the risk of potentially putting the innocent to death?

No one should be put to death without irrefutable proof. The problem is, in todays crooked justice system, its all too often about silly loopholes and working the system to your advantage. The term 'irrefutable proof' may no longer apply in modern courts.

Our system is flawed. We can debate all we want but thats the rub.

Darth Revan
First of all, that is called Social Darwinism. It is the belief that Darwin's evolutionary theory applies to humans, as well--for example, it was long thought by ignorant Europeans that Africans were literally inferior, both physically and mentally. Darwin did not believe in Social Darwinism. Also, why do you call murderers "weak"? Sure, what they did was wrong and everything, but the ability to kill a person does not make you somehow inferior. Anybody can do it, as sick and twisted as that makes me seem.

Second, evilness is not inherited, no matter what Dr. Hibbert from the Simpsons says. See, there's genotype and then there's phenotype. I assume you've taken high school biology, in which case you should know this. Environment affects phenotype just as much as genotype does. You're not born evil, you become evil. Just because your daddy was a rapist doesn't mean you will be one, too.

Finally, how in the hell is a guy in prison going to even HAVE kids?

Phoenix
I'm completely against the Death Penalty. After they have been executed, it has then been proved that some victims were inncent. Anything that kills innocent life ((or any life for that matter)), I am against

yerssot
than you hate every carnivore already

Phoenix
Its one reason I'm veggie.

But I also respect other peoples beliefs and opinions, even if I completely disagree with them

yerssot
do you hate lions?

Corlindel
I love meat and lions but I am against the Death Penalty stick out tongue

Evy_O
I'm against death penalty and I have already explained my views at the previous thread so yeah, I won't bother stick out tongue

Fire
cheap post: boooooooooooooooooooooo at evy stick out tongue

Evy_O
pfffft, yours was cheaper, boooooooooooooo at fire stick out tongue

Kaleanae
I'm also against death penalty messed

Darth Revan
You also live in Portugal though, right? stick out tongue

Actually I also love meat and am against the Death Penalty... Mmm... Pork...

Fiery Eyes
I posted this statement in the abortion thread but wanted to talk more about this issue and get peoples thoughts and inputs on it.

Do you believe in the death penalty, or are you against it ? and why?

Death Penalty--- has anyone seen movie: The LIFE of DAVID GALE?? it's a good movie and it's about, you guessed it DEATH penalty--- it's very shocking, and i agree w/yer statement on, You never really KNOW all the facts in a situation for the death penatly to occur.
People do lie, i was watching a program the other day, where this lady and her husband had been in prison for 17 years (well actually the husband was executed so he was in there that long) finally that lady over heard guards talking and smarting off that her husband died and didn't even committ the crime, they later found documents, where the authority knew this but hid the info...it was the officeers involved in the case that actually did it. Yet, it didn't bring her husband back or her life back that she loss and her kids that didn't have a mom for 17 yrs. Now thats horrible.

WindDancer
It's been done quite a few times already.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2437&highlight=death+penalty

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30742&highlight=death+penalty

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=293584&highlight=death+penalty

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>