HDTV For Next-Generation Consoles?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Draco69
Anyone else annoyed with the fact that for the next-generation consoles you pretty much require a HDTV? Those mothers are damn expensive! mad

gls
required? no not at all, just supported..
revolution may or may not support it..
xbox 360 hd is the main choice but 480 will be also supported
same for ps3 i believe

JKozzy
They're not required. Tell me where it says it's 'required.'

hotsauce6548
I have an HDTV, so I'm not worried.

Well, the burn-in is always a problem...

forumcrew
HD has nothing to do with burn-in thats an issue mainly with plasmas that really isnt much of an issue anymore if you buy a quality tv and not an affordable one (i used to sell TV's)

WindDancer
HD TV is basically a rip off. Sure you get a nice picture but is not worth paying so much money. Besides now they're claiming that newer HD TV should have some chip gadget to get full quality. Like WTF? What's the point of buying a new tv if it doesn't have full quality. Bah!

El_NINO
you can connect an XBOX 360 to your computer monitor if its a VGA meaning it has HDTV qualities... I do so when I get my XBOX360 I will try it but i only have a 15 inch screen.

gls
Originally posted by El_NINO
you can connect an XBOX 360 to your computer monitor if its a VGA meaning it has HDTV qualities... I do so when I get my XBOX360 I will try it but i only have a 15 inch screen.
r u saying that it only has HD when connected to a VGA?

crazy_shadow
Originally posted by El_NINO
you can connect an XBOX 360 to your computer monitor if its a VGA meaning it has HDTV qualities... I do so when I get my XBOX360 I will try it but i only have a 15 inch screen. dude that'll kick ass

JKozzy
VGA isn't nearly as good as DVI...

JKozzy
Originally posted by WindDancer
HD TV is basically a rip off. Sure you get a nice picture but is not worth paying so much money. Besides now they're claiming that newer HD TV should have some chip gadget to get full quality. Like WTF? What's the point of buying a new tv if it doesn't have full quality. Bah! Some are "HD Ready" and some are "HD Qualified"... though not those exactly, they were both R's. One has the actual tuner built in, the other you have to buy the HD tuner seperately, like an extra cable box. Really, that's just plain dumb. Build it in, and make it cheaper. Then I'll pay for it. The picture quality really is nicer, yes, but not nice enough for me to shell out a couple grand.

forumcrew
most companys provide the box the built in tuners often arnt used by a lot of companys, its not a huge deal which is why a lot of people dont care.

hotsauce6548
Originally posted by forumcrew
HD has nothing to do with burn-in thats an issue mainly with plasmas that really isnt much of an issue anymore if you buy a quality tv and not an affordable one (i used to sell TV's)

Well, yeah, I have a plasma, and it's a high-end Panasonic, and the burn-in is still there on plasma's... erm

forumcrew
thats unfortunate i hope you got a service plan.. id recommend getting a pioneer they are the top end.

gls
there's always hd projectors..
i wish i had money >>

Avalonofthewind
No system requires it. Get S-video or component and you'll still get a fairly sweet picture on your standard set.
Me? My Toshiba DLP is the only game in town right now. HDTV rocks for gaming.

powerfulone1987
Can someone explain to me what a HDTV is exactly?

I don't know if I have one or not.

It all looks the same to me.

Tru_Slice
Originally posted by powerfulone1987
Can someone explain to me what a HDTV is exactly?

I don't know if I have one or not.

It all looks the same to me.

(says the same person who didn't know what framerate was)

HDTV has been out for some time now. It is the next-generation of TV's. HDTV is basically higher resolution (HighDefintionTeleVision).

Now tell me that you DO know what resolution is?

powerfulone1987
Look Tru Slice, if you want to be sarcastic and have some negative remark to everything I say and you keep on trying act like you are above me then I rather you just not answer my questions.

After all you must have asked questions along to way to figure out what something is. If you don't then you never find out the answers so act intelligent or just don't respond.

Anyway, I know all of that, I want to know how you can tell if you have one or not. Is it on the tv somewhere or are you suppose to know by just looking at the picture on the screen.

Tru_Slice
In a non-sarcastic way, you can definately tell by looking at it.

It is incrediblly sharp.

Now seriously, go find out how these things work before everybody goes on talking about them! sad

sad sad sad smile

powerfulone1987
What do you mean go find out how these work before everybody goes talking about them?

Isn't this thread about HDTV, i think people are already talking about it.

I find that statement puzzling and if I understand it enough, kind of irrelevant.

But ya really lost me.

So HDTV isn't necessarily a wide screen plasma tv. It can be a regular tv you buy from the store regardless of what inch it is whether its 10 inch or say 32 inch?

Avalonofthewind
What do you mean go find out how these work before everybody goes talking about them?

Isn't this thread about HDTV, i think people are already talking about it.

I find that statement puzzling and if I understand it enough, kind of irrelevant.

But ya really lost me.

So HDTV isn't necessarily a wide screen plasma tv. It can be a regular tv you buy from the store regardless of what inch it is whether its 10 inch or say 32 inch?

It's easier to hit up your nearest Best Buy or Circuit City and just see for yourself. Just ask any rep to show you the HDTV section...you will see the difference in picture easily.

powerfulone1987
So when people are talking about playing games on HD, they are just talking about having a better picture?

So it's not much of a difference from a non HDTV?

forumcrew

Your right HD does not = plasma all the time.. most plasmas will be an HD though, all though som are ED(dont bother worying about it, and please dont buy one) Other non plasma TV's can also be HD including LCD flat panel, projection and DLP's and even your old standard CRT type TV can be. The CRT ones generally dont come in HD in less then 30" though and are often in a widescreen format.

so the bottom line is plasma and HD are not the same thing, plasma is a tv type and HD is a signal type. hope that helps you some.

powerfulone1987
Yes it helps.

So my 32 ince tv at home is most likely a HDTV?

forumcrew
no it is most likely NOT one. While those types of TV's can be, only a newer one would be and they are considerably more expensive. I doubt you do have one, its something you would know.

powerfulone1987
How do you know if my tv is new or not and how much it cost?

Tru_Slice
Your TV should say somewhere that it is HDTV ready.

forumcrew
How do you know if my tv is new or not and how much it cost?

i dont know but, if it was HD youd of known because you would have wondered why it cost so much more then all the other 32" TV's unless you just buy things without asking questions. The price difference is a large one and you would have known was my point.

hotsauce6548
So when people are talking about playing games on HD, they are just talking about having a better picture?

No, there's a difference, alright.

Believe me, you would know if you had an HDTV...

powerfulone1987
i dont know but, if it was HD youd of known because you would have wondered why it cost so much more then all the other 32" TV's unless you just buy things without asking questions. The price difference is a large one and you would have known was my point.

I wouldn't have wondered because I don't know the average price of other 32 inch tv's so I would know if I was paying more than usual. And plus I have never bought a tv before. I got all of mine as gifts/presents.
Including my 32 inch.

hotsauce6548
Nah, you would know. erm

forumcrew
I wouldn't have wondered because I don't know the average price of other 32 inch tv's so I would know if I was paying more than usual. And plus I have never bought a tv before. I got all of mine as gifts/presents.
Including my 32 inch.

Its not an HD, id bet a lot of money on it. Look up your model number if you really want to know all the details of it.. also what brand is it? only a few companys make older style tube TV's in HD form.

Avalonofthewind

It's like a computer monitor when it comes to clarity.
For example...on an hdtv with the right connections, text in games becomes amazingly clear. A lot of little details that aren't normally visible...become visible.
Something like sports...on a regular tv...if watching baseball..u can see the pitcher. On Hdtv you can see the pitcher hasn't shaved that morning and hasn't slept much either. You can see individual faces in the crowd behind him.
Best bet is to hit up best buy and see a display.

hotsauce6548
Originally posted by Avalonofthewind
For example...on an hdtv with the right connections, text in games becomes amazingly clear. A lot of little details that aren't normally visible...become visible.
Something like sports...on a regular tv...if watching baseball..u can see the pitcher. On Hdtv you can see the pitcher hasn't shaved that morning and hasn't slept much either. You can see individual faces in the crowd behind him.

yes

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by Avalonofthewind

this was very helpful.

And I'm kind of getting annoyed at you all who are saying i'd know this and that and telling me what my tv is when you haven't seen it nor know how much it is.

hotsauce6548
Well, I was trying to make the point that you would certainly know if you had an HDTV.

Oh, and I was just reading the manual of the plasma I was talking about. It meantions the burn-in, but it only says 4:3. Is that HD or a regular display?

jerlark386
I've seen expensive tvs before. They sure look nice.

But I still love my 15" computer monitor.

smile

powerfulone1987, HDTV is nice, but theres alot of hype around it. I would'nt even worry about it, unless Sony starts releasing holographic displays.

forumcrew
this was very helpful.

And I'm kind of getting annoyed at you all who are saying i'd know this and that and telling me what my tv is when you haven't seen it nor know how much it is.

its because its true. Im not saying youd know all the facts about an HD tv, but you would know if you had one, there would be connections you had never seen before, it would very clearly have said HD somewhere. And there are not a ton of 32" HD's out there.. What brand is it? Is the screen flat? is it widescreen? is there a DMI or HDMI connection? Are there even composite connections? Answer these and then I will be able to tell you for sure its not HD or it is. Or just look at the box or manual or give me the model number..

hotsauce6548
Originally posted by hotsauce6548
Well, I was trying to make the point that you would certainly know if you had an HDTV.

Oh, and I was just reading the manual of the plasma I was talking about. It meantions the burn-in, but it only says 4:3. Is that HD or a regular display?

Help? confused

powerfulone1987
its because its true. Im not saying youd know all the facts about an HD tv, but you would know if you had one, there would be connections you had never seen before, it would very clearly have said HD somewhere. And there are not a ton of 32" HD's out there.. What brand is it? Is the screen flat? is it widescreen? is there a DMI or HDMI connection? Are there even composite connections? Answer these and then I will be able to tell you for sure its not HD or it is. Or just look at the box or manual or give me the model number..

So are you saying that most HDtv's are larger than 32 inch. If so what is the average size of a Hdtv?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.