Is Thor now obsolete since Sentry broke the scene?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

long pig
I saw this on another thread(unbreakable). What do you think?

Swanky-Tuna
Thor is supposed to be the new Odin now isn't he? Did he drop down from 'there' yet?

xmarksthespot
I recall there was speculation the Sentry was actually Thor. Has that all been debunked.

Swanky-Tuna
He should drop the jackass yellow and blue costume then. It's like when the new heroes bring back or visit old super heroes and/or villains and they're wearing the bright, flamboyant costume still.

long pig
Thor is still in stasis, asleep and all.

I don't know how they can bring him back since he learned the rune magic and got incredibly wise.

He'll be nearly unbeatable.

But, since his comics haven't made the top 20 in 15 years, I doubt he'll be back soon.

xmarksthespot
The costume is pretty lame. Vomit yellow isn't a great costume colour imo.

roughrider
Sentry's new on the scene, with a costume that NEEDS reworking. If he is supposed to be Marvel's Superman, it's 45 years late. This sort of hero should be at the beginning of a comic company - time to move on to a new idea. Thor occupies the same position in his universe that Superman does - being Earth's No.1 Protector; though when he first came into being in the 1960's he function more like a Marvel idea of Shazam.
Thor will be back, as his old self, as will Odin and the rest of Asgard. The cycle of life will begin again - nothing is impossible in comics.
Marvel won't wait too long; Thor had a constant book for 40 years.

The Ion
Sentry also needs a new nickname. Golden Guardian of Good? laughing That's cheesy even for Silver Age standards.

Thor will definitely be back. DC brought back Troia and gave her a huge role and lets face it, nobody gave a damn about Troia.

roughrider
Who thought up that nickname? Tom DeFalco? laughing

Swanky-Tuna
Originally posted by roughrider
If he is supposed to be Marvel's Superman, it's 45 years late.
Marvel, among every other company, including DC, has plenty of Superman clones.

Laminator_X
Who thought up that nickname? Tom DeFalco? laughing

Wasn't it that artist who worked on the Sentry way back. What was his name, Marty something?

Wait, who are we talking about again?

ScarletSpider
Thor isn't obsolete. He has a different niche and status quo. He'll be coming back 2006 or 2007, in a big way. Probably in a Drax-ish reinvention to make him more relevant.

Whirlysplatt
Sentry's new on the scene, with a costume that NEEDS reworking. If he is supposed to be Marvel's Superman, it's 45 years late. This sort of hero should be at the beginning of a comic company - time to move on to a new idea. Thor occupies the same position in his universe that Superman does - being Earth's No.1 Protector; though when he first came into being in the 1960's he function more like a Marvel idea of Shazam.
Thor will be back, as his old self, as will Odin and the rest of Asgard. The cycle of life will begin again - nothing is impossible in comics.
Marvel won't wait too long; Thor had a constant book for 40 years.

Good post I had never thought of that Marvel Shazam indeed - fascinating

olympian
Marvel Thor did indeed had a Shazam kind of take. Especially in the similarity of a normal human (one a kid and another an adult) transforming into magic beings due to a special word/artifact.

As for who is obsolete. Its Sentry that has to prove he isent and that he is going to last. Thor as a fictional character has lasted centuries and in comic books had one of the longest original runs.

Draco69
Thor is gonna come back...and put the Sentry where he belongs...in the trash.

armandovalles
Originally posted by Draco69
Thor is gonna come back...and put the Sentry where he belongs...in the trash.

AMEN.

snoopdogg
While I think that Marvel should push for Sentry to be a major hero over Thor. Simply cause Thor isnt really a Marvel character he is a mythological character and DC can use him also.

Khellendros
I, personally, would like to see them play up his divine nature. I mean, he IS a God after all. I'd prefer to see him keep that rune knowledge even if he gives up the Odinpower. It sucks hat Thor is bruiser with the funny speech and hammer of the top tiers when he's a long-lived God with the knowledge of a medical doctor and millenia of life experience.

Of course, I'd still like to see him kick lots of ass, but we realy should see him taking on threats with his brain, instead of just trying to hammer (pun not intended) them into submission.

Also: yeah, I kinda like Sentry, but I would friggin LOVE Thor to come back and just humble the f*ck out of him.

roughrider
There was a deliberate symbolism to Thor's look when he was being designed by Jack Kirby in the 1960's. In all the break from tradition happening, with the looks given to Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, X-Men, Iron Man and others, Thor was given a cape. In the midst of other new, capeless heroes. Sure, often a cape is unneccessary for a character - that different realism Marvel was going for - but it indicated Thor would have special standing in the Marvel Universe, an overt symbol of heroism. And, the cape was red. Just like you-know-who...
Someone mentioned in the past months that Sentry could be seen as an idea of Miracleman/Marvelman, rather than Superman. Perhaps that angle should be explored instead.

long pig
I HATE NON FUNCTIONAL CAPES!!!!!!!!!

olympian
I think Kirby inspired more in the Captain marvel Jr thing for Thor rather than Superman.

Non funcional capes are for showing off. For da ladies. For the dames.

You get the point.

Thats why Super wears red speedos above his pants. To show off more.......his physical attributs see?

Laminator_X
I hope when Thor returns, he'll retain his great wisdom, though perhaps not the Odinpower. Sentry has plenty of power but not much wisdom

Scoobless
Originally posted by long pig
I HATE NON FUNCTIONAL CAPES!!!!!!!!!

and the Incredibles showed why they should never be worn while super-heroing

Laminator_X
Hey, if we didn't have some appreciation for style-over-substance we wouldn't be reading superhero comics. It's one of the conventions of the genre. Non-flyers with capes still bug me a little, but I can live with them generally.

roughrider
Originally posted by olympian
I think Kirby inspired more in the Captain marvel Jr thing for Thor rather than Superman.

Non funcional capes are for showing off. For da ladies. For the dames.

You get the point.

Thats why Super wears red speedos above his pants. To show off more.......his physical attributs see?

I actually wonder if Superman and Batman, being created in the late 1930's, were given those different colour drawers for comic code reasons. The skin-tight look would make them look too naked, or something, so something extra was put on their groin and backside area. Because - those drawers serve no purpose. Captain Marvel got away with just a sash, maybe because his outfit was a little more baggy?
And think to the Silver Surfer in the 1960 to early 80's, with the silver shorts! Silly, no purpose, unless it was some decency standard or something.
So where does the whole cape & hero idea come from? CM's cape was inspired by pre-WWI British nobility uniforms. Didn't gladiators from ancient Rome wear those crimson capes for warmth and protection, especially in cold climates? I often think that way when I see Thor's cape; he's used it against cold and snow in his own book, and did so in Avengers/JLA.

Laminator_X
The comics code didn't come about untill the 50's. The whole "Seduction of the Innocent" campaign was roughly concurrent with the Red Scare.

As to "Why capes?" I think it's a throwback to the swashbuckling heroes (for whom capes were contemporary fashion) from the Three Musketeers to Zorro, who had been revived in the Pulps not long before the Superhero era. Heroes wearing capes was already part of the Dime-Novel genre when superheroes came on the scene. Remember, Zorro was pretty much the direct inspiration for The Bat-Man.

Magicians, acrobats and strong-men also often wore capes in that era as well. Siegel and Schuster had moved Dr. Occult from a private-eye look to a cape look around the time they were developing Supes. In his case, I think his costume is more of a strong-man look. Remember, in the early days he was quite the macho man's-man; more like Popeye in terms of attitude than the Man of Steel we know. He didn't even fly in the early days, just jumped real far like the Hulk.

roughrider
Originally posted by Scoobless
and the Incredibles showed why they should never be worn while super-heroing

While also propping up the cheesy notion that those little stick-on masks can really conceal your identity! Only Clark Kent's glasses are more unbelievable. I wish I could take every little mask like that off every character in comics, and make them go maskless or give them something bigger and better for most of their face.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.