David Prowse - Vader in Episode III?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Emperor Helmet
British strongman Dave Prowse, who epitomized the dark side of The Force in the first Star Wars trilogy, wants to repeat the role, despite arthritis and a dodgy hip.

Two decades after crossing light sabers with Luke Skywalker in the original movies, the 66-year-old actor has his sights firmly set on being fit enough to bid for the role in the sixth and final "Star Wars" movie.

But first the former weightlifting champion who gained screen immortality overnight in 1977 as the menacing, black-cloaked Vader, must undergo his fifth hip operation and get his hefty frame back in form.

"I would love to reprise the Darth Vader role," he told Reuters in an interview Tuesday. "If I am 100 percent physically able and they offer the part to someone else, I would be very disappointed."

The creator of one of cinema's most famous characters has his next hip operation in September. "I should be walking properly by Christmas and can get back into the gym and training. I am going to surprise them all next year," he said.

Prowse chilled a generation behind his shiny black mask as the heavy-breathing villain in the first three Star Wars movies but found himself out of a job when the action rolled back to Vader's youth in the current series of "prequels."

The last movie in the series, now being scripted by Lucas, completes the circle and brings back the adult Vader in all his evil glory.

Prowse has carved himself out a full-time career traveling the world to Star Wars conventions. Adoring fans line for hours to get his autograph. "I would say it would probably run into millions (of signatures) by now," he said.

"I was one of the first people to do the conventions. I formed a team and called it 'The Men Behind The Masks' and did them with Chewbacca and C-3PO."

Prowse, now working on his autobiography "Straight From The Force's Mouth," has just returned from a Star Wars convention in Indianapolis which attracted up to 100,000 fans.

"I am off to New York this weekend. I go to Japan once a year and do a tour. Germany is very big, as are Denmark and Sweden," said Prowse who has his own fans' Web site that is dedicated to George Lucas.

Prowse played Darth Vader and did all the dialogue in the "Star Wars" movies. But, at the last moment, Lucas asked James Earl Jones to dub the voice in the distinctive deep tones that became an instant classic.

But Prowse is not bitter: "He said I did a wonderful job and I am very complimentary about the way he did the voice."

However there is no doubting the steely determination to get back on the set of the world's most famous space epic.

"If Christopher Lee (one of the stars of the new "Star Wars" movie "Attack of the Clones" ) can handle a light saber at the age of 80, then so can I."

Mujaffa
well let's see prowse do a full scale saber fight like the one in TPM or ATOC.... fast and furious

Emperor Helmet
He wouldn't have to. He would fight exactly the way he did in the OT. Once he is Vader in the costume, the acrobatics are over.

Mujaffa
maybe maybe not... you'll never gess what lucas comes up with next...
uncertain the future is

Ushgarak
We can be pretty certain that Vader will be no more acrobatic than he is in the OT! It is rather the point, after all.

I think if Prowse wants to be like Christopher Lee then he also needs to be the member of two stunt unions at 80 and an amazing sword fighter.

But it WOULD be very nice to have him back in the role.

Gundark
With his enthusiasm, I'd hate to see him disappointed.

finti
nah I would hate to see Vader with a limp

queeq
I don't care much for him to return... but I wouldn't mind it either. As long as Vader looks good.

yerssot
thought he had artritis and couldn't do that anymore

queeq
He had some kind of sudden illness indeed.

mah
what about hayden, who was so eager to wear the suit and said 'george has been giving me little winks and nods' or something like that, when he asked about it.

queeq
I'd say that's a good enough option for me. I look forward to the moment we will see Anakin's face for the last time until ROTJ.

Emperor Helmet
Just hip problems. I saw him at the Philly Episode II premiere. He said he would be 100% healthy by the time they need him for Episode III.

queeq
By the time they need him? WOOOHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Captain REX
I would like to see David Prowse in the role. Even if he still has a small limp that's barely visible, Vader had been injured somehow to get the suit, so it would look like part of it almost. Although, I think he'll be able to walk normally.

Emperor Helmet
From the way it sounds, he will be healthy by the time shooting starts.

Gundark
Its up to George I guess.

Emperor Helmet
That it is.

Captain REX
I hope GL chooses David Prowse for the Vader's suit.

finti
I dont

Halba
he should be in the mask..he is after all 6 foot 1 inches and a bit of padding would make it an easy transition

regarding acrobatics i think we could see Vader jump around but really he will rely on Force powers more than acrobatics

queeq
Jumping can be done with CGI when Vader's all suited up.

Dark Lord Djas
I can see the arguement of him being in the suit or not. For one he is the older Anakin/Vader so he would obviously become better built and taller. Then again he is the old Vader and why not continue the tradition.

Julie
I highly doubt it

Captain REX
Why doubt it? After all, I would want one last hurrah in the Star Wars movie after being laid off from that for 2 decades.

queeq
I would settle for one big HURRAY, since I still find ANH and ESB best. I'd like one more like it.

finti
ESB rules

queeq
You bet!

finti
actually, no i dont

queeq
Oh...

aneekin

DenKi
well ive met him and got his autograph lol

JKozzy
Hm, as old as the debate was, would've been cool to see him back for that. Though we wouldn't have 'seen' him either way. Vader's suited role was so minute in III, so it really didn't matter. Might have been counterproductive to get him back and add another name to the pay roll and training, not that there would be much, but Hayden's been there for the past six years or so, and Prowse has been on a leave of absence for awhile.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.