Suburbia

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cringe
Something has been popping out to me lately.Rich people.Rich white men and women who dress in the expensive colorful outfits with the 50 dollar haircuts.You just know that there members of your local Country Club and that they have the best sex every night.They drive around in luxery vehicles or suvs,partiularly Explorers or Escalades.They all reisde in a part of your town known only as The Suburbs or Suburbia for short.All their kids go to the fancy schools together where they are either education nerds or good-looking,popular,and Atheletic football playing jocks who get all the girls.I see these people everywhere.In my small town of 60,000 people they all reside on part of the town.I'm reminded of them everytime I visit that side of town to go to Target or Wal-Mart.I see them all walking into Safeway and JC Pennys or a little italian resturant resturant called STRINGS.There kids are always going out with their friends either to my local theater or to the mall to hang out and go to starbucks.The thing is most of them never look happy.I always see the mom's which I call the "Desperate Housewives" frowning or looking mad about one thing or another.I always see the their kids being stuck up or acting better than everyone else just because they may be wearing prada.The men are the only ones that look satisfied,but thats probaly because they had great sex the night before on their yacht.

Anyways,i'm not complaining I just had to get some stuff off my chest.

Afro Cheese
Sounds like you got that image from a tv show like The OC or someshit. Most the people I know who are from the suburbs are just normal people. Not rich.. not stuck up.. no yatch or any thing like that. The moms look stressed out for the same reasons any mom looks stressed out.. and the kids are often brats cause well that's just how kids are.

Morgoths_Wrath
haha, yeah it's not a bad life

but still, you're generalizing a bit much, and creating steteotypes

they're not all that way

Cringe
I know but thats just how just how percieve them whenever i'm around them.I dont watch those kind of tv shows either but I live a generally small town and thats what I see most of the time.

I just recently went to a volleyball game at our rivals school and all I saw was hot girls and hot guys with there cool parents picking them up.Its not like they just picked them up either.They also stayed and talked with other parents,said hi to everyone then. lefted.Im not saying socializing or being nice was bad but my mom usually waits outside till I come out from school.It was just a weird feeling I have when im around those kind of people.

Morgoths_Wrath
...?

Cringe
What?

Great Vengeance
starwars

Cringe
What are you guys talking about?

KidRock
Originally posted by Cringe
Something has been popping out to me lately.Rich people.Rich white men and women who dress in the expensive colorful outfits with the 50 dollar haircuts.You just know that there members of your local Country Club and that they have the best sex every night.They drive around in luxery vehicles or suvs,partiularly Explorers or Escalades.They all reisde in a part of your town known only as The Suburbs or Suburbia for short.All their kids go to the fancy schools together where they are either education nerds or good-looking,popular,and Atheletic football playing jocks who get all the girls.I see these people everywhere.In my small town of 60,000 people they all reside on part of the town.I'm reminded of them everytime I visit that side of town to go to Target or Wal-Mart.I see them all walking into Safeway and JC Pennys or a little italian resturant resturant called STRINGS.There kids are always going out with their friends either to my local theater or to the mall to hang out and go to starbucks.The thing is most of them never look happy.I always see the mom's which I call the "Desperate Housewives" frowning or looking mad about one thing or another.I always see the their kids being stuck up or acting better than everyone else just because they may be wearing prada.The men are the only ones that look satisfied,but thats probaly because they had great sex the night before on their yacht.

Anyways,i'm not complaining I just had to get some stuff off my chest.

So you are saying only rich white people can live in the suburbs? Why cant black people be rich or live in the suburbs? Why not spanish people or asians? You racist...

Spelljammer
What you've learned is matireal wealth has nothing to do with spiritual wealth.

No amount of money can fill the pocket hole called a soul. Liberals especialy don't seem to realize this. But in some ways SpellJammer pities the rich more then he himself being poor. With money comes responsibility, responsibilities SpellJammer would rather not have..

Great Vengeance
Money in the end means absolutely nothing.

KidRock
Originally posted by Great Vengeance

Actually, money means a lot.

Afro Cheese
Money is vital. It determines your very lifestyle.

Great Vengeance
Why does your lifestyle matter in the least? I could go to some 3rd world country and be as poor as dirt and still find happiness.

Afro Cheese
Are you sure about that? Maybe you could find things that you like, but do you think you could live a happy life living in complete poverty? Struggling financially in America is bad enough.. I find it hard to imagine what it's like struggling in a country where you could end up starving as an end result.

Great Vengeance
Ill hunt to sustain myself liek the cavemen lol///

But seriously I would have no problem with it.

Spelljammer
SpellJammer wishes he were rich.

Then his parents would never have to work again, atleast not so hard.
He could donate to chairty and feel like he's making a differance.
And he could buy a fridge intended solely for diet soda and stockup! Yay! big grin

KidRock
Why does your lifestyle matter in the least? I could go to some 3rd world country and be as poor as dirt and still find happiness.

It is easy to say that when your sitting on your computer using the internet. Lets go ask the people on the street how happy they are.

Great Vengeance
Originally posted by KidRock
It is easy to say that when your sitting on your computer using the internet. Lets go ask the people on the street how happy they are.

And then lets go to the suburbs and see how happy they are...

KidRock
And then lets go to the suburbs and see how happy they are...

Exactly, I have money and live in the burbs and is as happy as can be cause I eat good food everyday use the internet have good friends.

I highly doubt a homeless person who is probley diseased and dirty can say the same thing

Great Vengeance
Exactly, I have money and live in the burbs and is as happy as can be cause I eat good food everyday use the internet have good friends.

I highly doubt a homeless person who is probley diseased and dirty can say the same thing

Well if your truly happy like you claim than your part of the minority that is. Comfort is relative, you can never have enough.

Cringe

Spare me the cliche "money cant by happiness" bullshit.You know you like having it and you know if you had alot you would be happy.

KidRock
Well if your truly happy like you claim than your part of the minority that is. Comfort is relative, you can never have enough.

I am part of the minority? The majority of people are unhappy? Come on now..

Afro Cheese
Not to say that money = happiness, cause it doesn't.. but let's just say it's one of the ingredients.

It's like saying that food doesn't = happiness, that true happiness comes from within. Well that's true, food doesn't = happiness, but I still don't know too many malnourished people who are just overwhelmed with joy..

Cringe
That made absolutely no sense but ok smile

About the race thing.I do see black,asian,maybe even mexican people sometimes acting this way but lets face it.Most of suburbia consist of caucasians wink.I'm a mexican.So that must mean im not rascit huh?

Afro Cheese
That made absolutely no sense but ok smileSorry.. I'd try to explain again but... it's late.

how'd you come to that conclusion?

KidRock
That made absolutely no sense but ok smile

About the race thing.I do see black,asian,maybe even mexican people sometimes acting this way but lets face it.Most of suburbia consist of caucasians wink.I'm a mexican.So that must mean im not rascit huh?

Only Caucasians can be racist? Wow are you ignorant.

Great Vengeance
Spare me the cliche "money cant by happiness" bullshit.You know you like having it and you know if you had alot you would be happy.

It may be cliche but its true.

Great Vengeance
I am part of the minority? The majority of people are unhappy? Come on now..

Most people arent satisfied with themself or their life, money wont help you overcome this.

KidRock
Most people arent satisfied with themself or their life, money wont help you overcome this.

Really? This is news to me. Please give me the survey that was taken of everybody that showed most people arent satisfied with their lives.

Cringe
Only Caucasians can be racist? Wow are you ignorant.

Oh,start throwing insults around.It's more common for caucasions to racist.Thats a fact.

Great Vengeance
Really? This is news to me. Please give me the survey that was taken of everybody that showed most people arent satisfied with their lives.

One tell tale sign is the amount of people who delve blindly into christianity hoping for higher purpose or even greedily praying to the lord for hope of material gain. Also the number of drug addicts, alchoholics and suicidals. But unless you live in 'happy town', all you really have to do is look around into peoples eyes to see most of them arent happy.

KidRock
One tell tale sign is the amount of people who delve blindly into christianity hoping for higher purpose or even greedily praying to the lord for hope of material gain. Also the number of drug addicts, alchoholics and suicidals. But unless you live in 'happy town', all you really have to do is look around into peoples eyes to see most of them arent happy.

That is just good and dandy..now if you dont mind I would like some proof..a survey maybe, or an actual source that says most people are unhappy. Not just "you look into their eyes you can tell they are unhappy." Yeah..that wont cut it around here junior.

Oh,start throwing insults around.It's more common for caucasions to racist.Thats a fact.

Not a fact, but thanks for playing.

KidRock
Damn, I wish BackFire was on right now..he always loves haveing field days with people like you.

Cringe
People like what?People that just happened to notice a bunch of rich white people always hanging around one side of the town like a flock of people that hang around each other to soack up each other's awesomeness.It's just a completely different lifestyle then im used to.I have an aunt and uncle like them and I always feel weird whenever I visit them because they always buying new things and visiting other states.They even rented and moved out of an apartment within a week when they realized they werent going to move to rhode island.

Please dont get rude.I know you think im stupid and naive but you dont have to put me down like im an idiot.How many mexican or asian people do you know that are racist?Where white people treated as slave when they first visited Africa?No.Where africans treated as slaves when they first came here?Yes.Look at the history.Racism is more common in caucasions that anyone else.How could you deny that?

8bitChris
This thread has little substance.

Plenty of people live empty and meaningless lives whether they are in a secure suburb or seedy part of downtown.

I find myself somewhere in the middle. I do have to work to be able to afford a good time, but I don't beat myself up about it and generally don't mind it. I don't ever plan on "settling down" anywhere though.

I think I have more fun than most. smile

Cringe
Good for you.I really dont know why I made this thread either.I just kept noticing something everytime I went and just had get it out.

It just seems like whenever im on a certain side of town im reminded of how much life is better over there and sometimes it just feels weird.I see rich people getting in their suv's with there pretty wives and there good looking children with the family yorkie.It just have to turn away sometimes because its to weird for me.I was driving home with a friend a few weeks ago and his mom said that she had spent 200 dollars at a Walgreens because she was bored waiting for him to call and pick him up.I just sat there thinking,WHO SPENDS 200 DOLLARS AT A FREAKING WALGREENS BECAUSE THEY'RE BORED.

KidRock

How many mexican or asian people do you know that are racist?

Most mexicans and blacks have been more racist then any other race. Most whites I have met arent racist towards other races at all but most hispanics and blacks have been very racist towards me and think I have an easy life just becuase of my skin color and they treat me bad becuase of that.

Where white people treated as slave when they first visited Africa?No.Where africans treated as slaves when they first came here?Yes.Look at the history.Racism is more common in caucasions that anyone else.How could you deny that?

300 years ago I would agree with you..but yeah I am denying that caucasions are the most racist. By your logic I can use the arguement that the germans are the most racist nationality right? Since they tried to exterminate the jews 60 years ago.

So no Caucasians are not the most racist race.

Good for you.I really dont know why I made this thread either.I just kept noticing something everytime I went and just had get it out.

It just seems like whenever im on a certain side of town im reminded of how much life is better over there and sometimes it just feels weird.I see rich people getting in their suv's with there pretty wives and there good looking children with the family yorkie.It just have to turn away sometimes because its to weird for me.I was driving home with a friend a few weeks ago and his mom said that she had spent 200 dollars at a Walgreens because she was bored waiting for him to call and pick him up.I just sat there thinking,WHO SPENDS 200 DOLLARS AT A FREAKING WALGREENS BECAUSE THEY'RE BORED.

Sorry you feel that way..but just becuase it is like that in your town or w/e you live doesnt mean it happens everyware. I am subject to black and hispanic racism against whites in my town and it makes me sad to see that people think Caucasions are the only racist type out there when 98% of the whites I know arent racist at all but most of the blacks and hispanics i know are VERY racist and dont accept others.

Cringe
Two opinions.Let's get over it.This is not the race thread.Sorry for reffering to white people being the only rich people in the suburbs confused

Sorry you get treated that way.

8bitChris

Yeah they got a good deal; but most of them are shallow and lack real world experiences.

It's not something to be admired. Valley girls are only good for one thing manno.

Real world problems build character. You're better off paying your dues then inheriting everything from your mommy and daddy.

You want what they got then go get it. I don't think that that would be an ideal goal to shoot for though. Most people would rather get out of the burbs than become the next soccer mom.

KidRock
Two opinions.Let's get over it.This is not the race thread.Sorry for reffering to white people being the only rich people in the suburbs confused

Sorry you get treated that way.

Im sorry you have the thoughts you do. I hope I educated you a little bit on different races.

Cringe
Ok.I'm pretty familiar on different races.I have friends of alot of races.I go to a church where one half of sunday is the english church and the other have is the spanish churchs.I pretty educated on how they act.

Anyways lets not get off-topic any further.

debbiejo
You can't stereo type, my family grew up in the burbs..my dad was a hard working blue collar worker...We were considered Middle class, and yet it's true, money doesn't buy happiness....It's also been reported on the news that many suburbia kids also do drugs...so are they happy too, but that's another topic...It also depends on the city...In Detroit, there is too much crime to want to live in the city, In Denver people love to live in the city.....The suburbs in the Metro Detroit area are full of many ethnic groups, though many like to subgroup together. ...The problems with money as I see it, is that people want to live beyond their means..They live off credit which always seems to catch up with them.

Hit_and_Miss
I grew up in the nice part of town... all due to my mom and dads hard work...

..Perhaps you should conceder this...

Are you jealous cause these people are "succeeding" in life???

xmarksthespot
Aren't the 'burbs mostly populated with, as Homer put it, upper lower middle class types?

The uber rich tend to prefer huge ranches, mansions or multistorey penthouse apartments.

debbiejo
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Aren't the 'burbs mostly populated with, as Homer put it, upper lower middle class types?

The uber rich tend to prefer huge ranches, mansions or multistorey penthouse apartments.

OH yeah, the way it is now...the uber rich live in these Mansion houses that like HOW WOULD YOU EVEN CLEAN IT...you'd need help...I drive by and shake my head....because they are soooooooo in debt...they spend so much on STUFF, STUFF STUFF that they've forgotten whats important in life....I've known some of them...

The burbs are different now then what I've grown up in...and also there are different sections of the burbs....

xmarksthespot
Hmm I remember reading something about how American consumer debt is at record levels and people are still spending.

Credit cards are bad that way. Still, if AmEx offered me a black card I wouldn't refuse it.

debbiejo
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Hmm I remember reading something about how American consumer debt is at record levels and people are still spending.

Credit cards are bad that way. Still, if AmEx offered me a black card I wouldn't refuse it.

I get credit card requests in the mail all the time....I have great credit.. big grin ...I refuse them, and only stick to one....It wasn't always this way though...Nope...I used to be up to my eyballs in debt...NOW..debt free....

Whirlysplatt
The Burbs are usually full of reasonably educated working stiffs in middle-management - or I own their own small business type jobs. These people are usually very worried about what others think. As I said usually reasonably educated either by life or the educational system. They are one of the backbones of society. It still doesn't stop them being the single funniest group out there.

Keep the faithsmile

Stay Whirly rock

manny321
Well i live outside Toronto, Canada and alot of the suburbs have a lot of minorities. The funny thing is people pretend there still in the ghetto when they come here and then after a while they stop. Well it matters really in some areas. In some suburbs you see no one walking around and it is dead silent. Some are active. Mine is dead in the winter. I mean its like a ghost town during winter but is lively during the summer. Most of the people are the hard working labour types.
Toronto is a weird city. It has a very large city population of 2.5 million and a nice lively downtown but there are also even more people living around the city like 3 million people. Our city (Brampton) is a suburb of Toronto but has about 412,000 people. Its very quite i only remember 4 murders this year.

I like suburbs but it is not desperate housewives. However its quite funny how everyone battles over who has the best lawn in spring and summer. There are kids playing hockey and kids hanging out doing nothing much. Instead of rich white kids in my area, its rich brown kids. Its a myth that only white people can live in suburbs.
However i love the suburbs. Nice and quite and clean. I don't like the city environment.
However most of the kids are brats and a perfect example is my sister. We have been living hear for 6 years and she says "this house is to old, lets get a new one."

Cringe
Originally posted by Hit_and_Miss
Are you jealous cause these people are "succeeding" in life???

Maybe.I'm still in highschool so I have plenty of time to succeed in life.LIke I said.Im not trying to make a point but just had to get something off my chest that I have been seeing alot lately.

BadKitty
So you are saying only rich white people can live in the suburbs? Why cant black people be rich or live in the suburbs? Why not spanish people or asians? You racist... Jesus Christ dude...is that really what you got out of his post?

Cringe
Is that putting me down or complementing me? confused

Cepheus
People like what?People that just happened to notice a bunch of rich white people always hanging around one side of the town like a flock of people that hang around each other to soack up each other's awesomeness.It's just a completely different lifestyle then im used to.I have an aunt and uncle like them and I always feel weird whenever I visit them because they always buying new things and visiting other states.They even rented and moved out of an apartment within a week when they realized they werent going to move to rhode island.

Please dont get rude.I know you think im stupid and naive but you dont have to put me down like im an idiot.How many mexican or asian people do you know that are racist?Where white people treated as slave when they first visited Africa?No.Where africans treated as slaves when they first came here?Yes.Look at the history.Racism is more common in caucasions that anyone else.How could you deny that?
It depends on what you mean by "Mexicans" cause if you mean latinos (people from south america) then you realy should go to countries like Argentina and Chile, they are very intolerant to both black people and asians... and most foreigners for tha matter.

manny321
Well some people i have noticed hate everyone else because they think everyone hates them or after a bad experience.

debbiejo
I did really like the movie "The Burbs".....people can be like that....

Cringe
Originally posted by Cepheus
It depends on what you mean by "Mexicans" cause if you mean latinos (people from south america) then you realy should go to countries like Argentina and Chile, they are very intolerant to both black people and asians... and most foreigners for tha matter.

I'm talking about things that relate to our country.

Great Vengeance
That is just good and dandy..now if you dont mind I would like some proof..a survey maybe, or an actual source that says most people are unhappy. Not just "you look into their eyes you can tell they are unhappy." Yeah..that wont cut it around here junior.

I just gave you reasons why most people are unhappy. If you need a survey I cant help you, it probably wouldnt be accurate anyways.. most people who are unhappy dont realize it. Your obviously stuck to your materialist views that how many jacuzzies and sports cars you have determines your happiness, all I can say is think that if you want.. 'junior'.

debbiejo
The burbs are like anywhere else....people are people....Just make better decisions on how to spend their money and on what they made of a skill or education....I know people who would rather live in the city, not Detroit though....Anyone can get into the suburbs....It just takes some know how...just look at all ethnic groups that come to Detroit...they came with nothing and made something of themselves...Gee..look at China, Japan, Jews, Muslims, Italians, Polish, Greek, Mexican, German, Croatian (sp), Lithuanian (sp)......Man, they're all here.....everyone lives in the suburbs, blacks....man...don't listen to propaganda...It's the effort you put into your future.

There are higher parts of the suburbs and the lower parts, which are just as nice, but not the mansions...

KidRock
I just gave you reasons why most people are unhappy. If you need a survey I cant help you, it probably wouldnt be accurate anyways.. most people who are unhappy dont realize it. Your obviously stuck to your materialist views that how many jacuzzies and sports cars you have determines your happiness, all I can say is think that if you want.. 'junior'.

I am much happier driving around my BMW then I would be a broken down 1964 chevy that gets 3 miles to the gallon. Point and case.

Cringe
Okkkkkkkkkk

I said that the moms always look unhappy or pissed off in some way.I didnt say everyone.

I'm not bashing anyone but merely stating something ive been seeing lately, FOR THE THOUSANDTH TIME.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.