Good Pop Punk

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

RedAlertv2
Since it is a genre which receives incredible hatred (most, but not all for good reason) Ive decided to start a thread were we can mention some actual good pop punk bands, if only just to prove that they do exist.

Okay, so I think one good pop punk band is the Matches. Got any others? Mention Good Charlotte and you die no expression

Morgoths_Wrath
I don't mind Green Day, blink 182 or Taking Back Sunday.

StinkFist462
blink 182 are probably the only pop punk band i like.

RedAlertv2
You like Blink 182?! I mean, no offense, but you seem like the type of guy who would despise them. But hey, I like them too. They were probably the first band that I really liked, along with Green Day.

PINBALL
Me too Green Day (personal Favorite) Blink 182 is also awsome

StinkFist462
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
You like Blink 182?! I mean, no offense, but you seem like the type of guy who would despise them. But hey, I like them too. They were probably the first band that I really liked, along with Green Day.

the only reason why i like them is i pretty much grew up listening to them, so it just kinda stuck with me.

RedAlertv2
same here

SnakeEyes
Same...

I grew up listening to both Blink 182 and Green Day, and I still listen to them today, partly because of the fact that I grew up listening to them. The Matches are pretty awesome, definitely one of the best bands in this category. Zebrahead and American Hi-Fi are alright... nothing special, but fun to listen to. Others will disagree, but I think Fall Out Boy deserves some sort of recognition (especially if you've seen them live before). This is probably the most underrated genre of music, because for every 1 good Pop-Punk band, there are about 10 horrible ones.

nick1811
Since it is a genre which receives incredible hatred (most, but not all for good reason) Ive decided to start a thread were we can mention some actual good pop punk bands, if only just to prove that they do exist.

Okay, so I think one good pop punk band is the Matches. Got any others? Mention Good Charlotte and you die no expression

i dont think there are any good pop-punk bands....

eggmayo
I like Green Day and Blink 182, but mainly there old stuff that gives me memories. Only in small doses too.

el_barto
I used to listen to Blink 182, but grew out of them. Green Day is probably the only pop-punk band I like.

RedAlertv2
Motion City Soundtrack is pretty good. Sum 41 is good too.

Aj333
I would have to say (and yes i know everyone has said this) blink-182
and greenday although greendays new album is much more rock

RedAlertv2
Im actually genuinely surprised how many people like/liked Blink 182

SnakeEyes
That's because they were all in-the-closet fans... wink

JenR1215
i HATE calling bands pop punk... i wish there was another word for them bcuz, i thought Pux HATED pop music... confused

I LOVE Blink-182 rip weep

Morgoths_Wrath
Dude Ranch is a really good album, brings back old memories

and I really like Green Day, they were my favorite band back in the day, and their new album still get regular listens from me (despite the fact it's being massively overplayed)

lilmisskitten
Whoa dude, The Matches !! i love them.....Blink are good.....i can't really tell teh difference between genres, so...meh....

Morgoths_Wrath
Originally posted by lilmisskitten
i can't really tell teh difference between genres, so...meh....

it's probably for the best if you don't get caught up in it

lilmisskitten
Eh ? , I like what i like 'nd thats it really lol....so what do you mean

JenR1215
I'm guna marry or have an affair with the leadsinger of The Matches drool

barbarossa
Good Pop Punk

Thats an Oxymoron if I've ever heard one.

Anyway, I'd say the only band that falls under that category that doesn't make me retch would be the Offspring.

RedAlertv2
"Thats an Oxymoron if I've ever heard one."

Ever the ignorant one

xxxpoppunker182
i fricken love poppunk. i persoanally like the fact that it is hated by most just makes it easyer for me to get a cd on its release date.

but for good poppunk mests new cd photographs came out today and holy crap if you like good poppunk go listen to it or buy it i garuntee you'll love it. same with allisters new cd and oh god all i listen to is poppunk if you guys want me to post all the poppunk bands i like i will and we can see how many bands we all like.

barbarossa
Ever the ignorant one

Oh, you again.

Would you mind explaining how it is that I'm ignorant? Or would you prefer to just start throwing around immiture claims of my being the one that started it?

Honestly, I have nothing to say to you but this.

Go fall in a pit... And die! smile

RedAlertv2
its ignorant to assume there are no good pop punk bands.

PINBALL
Yeah just because you dont like em doesnt mean there bad.

barbarossa
its ignorant to assume there are no good pop punk bands.

Well RedAlert+PINBALL (since he does and says everything that you do) If you will re-read my post, I included a band with it. Therefor I obviously think there is a decent Band. Damn, buy a pair of ****ing glasses if you really have that much trouble reading my posts.

EDIT: I did not assume anything. I KNOW that 99.99% of it is absolute shit.

PINBALL
You THINK 99.99% of its bad. Just because you dont like it doesnt mean its shit you ignorant loser.

Victor Von Doom
Good pop punk- oxymoron.

jaden101
given that none of the bands mentioned are even remotely close to being punk then its a moot point

the only band i've heard that fits vaguely into a pop punk label that is actually any good is the pattern...they only released one album real feelness

barbarossa
Originally posted by PINBALL
You THINK 99.99% of its bad. Just because you dont like it doesnt mean its shit you ignorant loser.

HOLY SHIT! It spoke something that had not already come directly from RedAlert! *Claps*

No, I do KNOW that 99.99% of it is shit. And your doggeded attempts at defending it have done nothing but further secure that knowledge. As for the loser part... Well, you listen to pop-punk. I think thats all I need to say.

Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Good pop punk- oxymoron.

yes

PINBALL
No i dont listen to pop punk im just saying that your view of music is different than others i mean i could say the kind of music you like is shit just because i dont like it

cool_dudes_rule
heard of the new band "son of dork" there ok.

PINBALL
? random

barbarossa
? random

He was discussing something in tune to the topic of this thread.

Not random. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Lana
Originally posted by Aj333
I would have to say (and yes i know everyone has said this) blink-182
and greenday although greendays new album is much more rock

No it's not. It's just straight pop.

Older Green Day (I like their new stuff, just not so much), The Offspring, and Blink 182 (just for the sheer fact that I liked them when I was younger and their music, their early stuff anyway, brings back memories for me) I like.

Though in general, most pop punk bands sound exactly the same and are garbage.

RedAlertv2
Dude Ranch was the best from Blink 182. And for their credit, they were pop-punk before it was really popular.

Lana
So were Green Day and The Offspring, who have been around longer than Blink.

RedAlertv2
thats true. They are both probably better than Blink 182. But I like Blink 182 just as much as either of those two

PINBALL
Im not saying I like all pop punk i only really like offspring blink and green day but thats still your oponion that you say pop punk is shit i dont care for it but that doesnt mean its shit but im sure we can atleast agree on that Good Charlotte and Simple plan are shit

Lana
Can you please try and make sense when you type?

Punctuation and grammar are your friends, not enemies.

PINBALL
Mamma say puncuation is the Devil and grammer is the Devils hoe

JenR1215
My moma said life is like a box of chocolate.

PINBALL
No Mamma says choclates the devils food
(Water Boy not forest Gump)

barbarossa
Im not saying I like all pop punk i only really like offspring blink and green day but thats still your oponion that you say pop punk is shit i dont care for it but that doesnt mean its shit but im sure we can atleast agree on that Good Charlotte and Simple plan are shit

I did not say that it was all shit. I said that 99.99% of it was shit. I liked old Green day and I like the Offspring.

You'll find that almost everyone will agree that GC and SP are shit. yes

JenR1215
i dont like GC and SP.. SP is good sumtimes but they have Baby Ryhmes in there songs, and GC just sings about they're dad.. its gets a little old sumtimes.

RedAlertv2
SP is never good. ever.

SnakeEyes
I like the horrible dubbing of the video: Untitled... laughing

What a terrible band...

RedAlertv2
no kidding it was way off.

JenR1215
i loved "Untitled" when i first heard it on the radio, but when i saw the video i was like....WTF??

The video ruined the song for me erm

It didnt really follow the song either.

PINBALL
The band ruined music and yes old Green Day and Offspring Kick ass but it is still just your oponion that its shit others may think your taste in music is stupid its just an oponion.

Aj333
I used to like GC and SP but not so much cause they are so corporate pop! some of GC's old stuff i can stand, from when they were trying to incorporate some of Nirvana's sound but their new stuff i hate

JenR1215
Punks arent supposed to cry about their lives and just bcuz ur "pop" punk doesnt make an acception.

RedAlertv2
Its already been figured out that pop punk has little to do with punk. But thanks for stating the obvious. It really cleared things up for me

SnakeEyes
Now I can't speak for all of the following bands, but pop-punk isn't bad if you know what to listen to/look for. For example, ignore bands like Simple Plan and Good Charlotte and maybe look into one of these bands:

Alkaline Trio
Beatnik Termites
blink-182
Boris the Sprinkler
Bum
Goldfinger
Green Day
Head
Jawbreaker
Lawrence Arms
Lagwagon (independent)
Me First & The Gimme Gimmes (independent)
The Mr. T Experience
MxPx
Nerf Herder
No Use for a Name (independent)
The Offspring
The Matches
Parasites
Queers
Squirtgun
Screeching Weasel
Vindictives
Zoinks!

barbarossa
Gold finger is mostly Ska IMO.

el_barto
Originally posted by Aj333
I used to like GC and SP but not so much cause they are so corporate pop!

Says the girl with the MCR signature roll eyes (sarcastic) .

dani_california
The truth is I do hate a lot of whats on MTV or the radio thats being called pop punk but I got a couple good new punk bands that are pop in the sense that the Ramones were:

The Exploding Hearts (too bad three members died a couple years ago)

The Briefs

The Pink Spiders

Search them on Myspace if you like Ramones or anything along the lines of Blink 182 you'll like them.

RedAlertv2
Jawbreaker
Jets to Brazil
The Bouncing Souls
The Descendents

All of these bands can be considered pop-punk. The first three are awesome. I havent listened to the Descendents much, but they seem ok from the songs I have heard.

Alpha Centauri
Hahahahahaha.

Jawbreaker, pop-punk. Good one.

-AC

RedAlertv2
Some of their songs definitlely have a pop-punk feel. Ill admit it was a stretch though

Alpha Centauri
Maybe lighter punk, softer. I'd certainly never tie Jawbreaker with pop.

-AC

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.