My Night With Michale Graves..(Ex-Misfits Lead Singer)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cinemaddiction
Ahhh. Where do I begin. I've always been a big Misfits fan, especially during the Michale Graves era. No, not the kitchen utencil designer guy for Target, the guys in the full face point, front and center.

http://www.freewebs.com/typodemon/Misfits13.jpg

Anycrap, Alison finds out on his website he's was coming HERE to Minneapolis to promote his new solo album on Horror High Records. Of course, we bought two copies of his CD, as well as 3 tickets to the show at the Nomad in Downtown Minneapolis for this evening. I haven't been to a show in 8 years, neither has she, so we had no clue what to expect. We brought along some old Misfits swag, in hopes of getting it signed. But, we suspected although it was a pub, it would be packed, we'd be stuck in the back, and we'd never get to meet Michale......none of which could be furthur from the truth.

We strolled into the Nomad at 8:00, the first band, Six Guns took the stage at 9 to a VERY small crowd, maximum 20 people. Pigsnorter, a great hardcore punk band set up shot to about a 40 person crowd. Once they broke down their set, 1/2 of the people LEFT! During their final song, Alison and I spotted Graves watching the show. Although we had seen him before walking around, we figured he was in the zone, and we were starstruck.

Anyway, Alison and I made our way over. She, with his self-titled CD, me, with our "Famous Monsters" demo marble vinyl. I shook his hand, asked how he was, and asked if he'd mind signing my album. He took it, started pointing at it, and mentioned to his girlfriend something along the lines of it being rare/he never seeing it. He handed it back, and HE thanked ME, patting me on the back as I walked away. I got back to my chair to notice that he had signed it with a devil tail at the end of the S in his last name, which he DIDN'T do for his own CD. Made the sig all the more unique.

Michale took the stage and from the beginning, opening with "American Psycho", I was floored. The amount of energy he put into his show was astonishing. They ripped through classic Misfits tunes, tracks off of "Famous Monsters", as well as his own album. It was literally, a perfect show. There was a connection between he and all 5 of us that wanted to be on the front row. He even mentioned that he was feeding off the energy of one guy in the front row. He was drunk as ****, beligerantly wailing about, but hey, whatever made the show more enjoyable. At one time, he even came by and gave me a pound..which was dreamy.

ALRIGHT! So, show was over, and the guy just hops off stage and sits at the bar! A couple of people stroll by and say thanks, so then Alison and I make our move. We just wanted pictures, so he gladly posed for Alison. Then Alison, Jesse, and I. Then Michale and I. The damn camera batteries were going dead, and even after trying for 2 minutes to get it to work, Mike stood there to make sure we got it. Shortly afterwards, although he had signed 2 things of ours, he gladly signed my "Famous Monsters" CD. Alison had mentioned that she saw him with the Misfits in 1997, when they opened for Megadeth, to which he said to her that he really appreciated people that saw him so long ago still care about him..which was nice.

Michale Graves is one class artist. Totally unspoiled, incredibly grateful all his fans, and one of the greatest on stage performers I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing live. Although I'm hoarse as hell, having tried to match lungs with Graves on virtually every track he spewed, me knowing 75% of them, he even discussed he and CHUD's side project which will be seeing a CD release soon. He even told me he and Chud will be playing Jersey on Halloween. droolio

So..I supposed you're tired of reading of my perfect night..so..here's some photos.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/Cinemaddiction/coolashell.jpg
On stage..

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/Cinemaddiction/danzigconvo.jpg
Here, I was mid way through saying.."Honestly, I don't think Danzig has shit on you. Take that however you want."

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/Cinemaddiction/shoes.jpg
Some random ass photo of Mike and I's shoes. Notice the duct tape holding his shoes to his pants? Don't ask.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/Cinemaddiction/tehcrew.jpg
LEFT TO RIGHT: Alison, Jesse, Michale Graves, and Myself.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/Cinemaddiction/misfitsstuff.jpg
The stuff he was generous enough to sign for us. The album's getting framed tomorrow. Bess believe dat..

jaden101
cool...not a huge fan of the misfits but its always good when you meet someone you admire and they are a decent person

the only star i've met worth note was samuel l jackson in a bar in St Andrews...

mr.smiley
Misfits are my all time favirotes.I'm happy to see you had a good time and that Graves is back!

Where can you buy the new cd at?

Cinemaddiction
www.merchmonster.com looks to be the only place that has his album. It was written and produced in one month, Michale having done it all by himself. He's way..way..way..better live.

Cinemaddiction
Going to drive to St. Cloud to see 'em again tonight. droolio

Peas!

Mandorallen
I met breckin meyer at a food court in beverly hills, no joke.

Cinemaddiction
Tonight's show at the Java Joint was nothing short of incredible. When we walked in, Michale was in the van, and he spotted us, smiled and waved. Shortly after, when Jason Trioxin was walking into the venue, he saw Alison and waved as well. Michale saw me as he was walking through the Java Joint, and said hey, tapped me on the arm. It was like that scene in "Wayne's World" where they're walking through flashing their backstage passes to everyone. Feels to cool to be personally acknowledged by one of your favorite artists.

Anycrap, at last nights show, their stand in drummer James, who is a supposed diabetic, needed some candy. So, when I was at the grocery store today, I decided we were comin' prepared, so I got this big ass $7 bag of candy.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/Cinemaddiction/new5.jpg

The band took the stage, I motioned Michale to come over. I handed 'em the pot of candy and told him I was sorry we didn't have any last night, and that this should last him the rest of the tour, atleast until Halloween. He was actually excited, took it from me, and gave us the photo op of a lifetime...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/Cinemaddiction/new2.jpg

...and so the show went on, a 17 song set, opening with "American Psycho" again. Only this time, the place was packed with kids, so it was rowdy as hell, which gave it a REAL show feel, as opposed to last nights outing, which seemed like a lounge act in comparison.

Again, I was upfront, and Michale and I were on that incredible osmosis like plain, feeding off one another.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/Cinemaddiction/new3.jpg

The band ripped through the set on borrowed equipment, because some mother****ers stole their gear out of their rented tour van, which got the driver's side window broken out. Between 6am and 4pm Monday at the Motel 6 in Richfield, Minnesota, they were robbed. Jason lost his custom casket pedal board, his guitars, everything. Bastards.

Tonight, I got probably the one show photo I will cherish my entire life, being the signature hardcore punk sing-a-long photo...droolio

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/Cinemaddiction/new4.jpg

While their spirits were down, Michael Graves and crew put on a show that was 4 times better than the last. After leaving the Java Joint tonight, I was indeed sad. We made such a connection, Alison, the band, and I. I felt like I was leaving friends, given we hung out and spoke to them so often the past 48 hours. Jason had said he had felt better when he saw us, familiar faces, having traveled an our out of our way to see them again.

He was so grateful, Jason Trioxin took the time to..well..eat my BRAAAAINSSSSSSS!!!!!!

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/Cinemaddiction/new1.jpg

papabeard
Did that guy sing on Fiend Club?

jaden101
you're one scary lookin chap cine...it has to be said

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by papabeard
Did that guy sing on Fiend Club?

Michale Graves did indeed do "Fiend Club". He hasn't done it at the show, since it's a Misfits special track, but that was his song.

Alpha Centauri
I'm gonna tell Glenn of this, watch your back tough guy!

Damn kids with ya music and celebrity friends.

-AC

Mandorallen
Originally posted by jaden101
you're one scary lookin chap cine...it has to be said

not as scary as he is chubby.

jk. big grin

barbarossa
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
They ripped through classic Misfits tunes, tracks off of "Famous Monsters"

*Shudder* There is nothing classic about that album. 'Nothing but new 'fits CRAP. No offence man, but you need to listen to some more Legacy of Brutality Misfits. It's old or nothing.

Cinemaddiction
I didn't say "Famous Monsters" was classic, I said they played old Misfits songs as well as tracks off of "Famous Monsters".

Besides, I'm not going to be so naive as to make a comparison. Old Misfits tunes are timeless, but on that same token, Danzig was overrated. He may have been the brains behind the band, but his vocals were shit.

Michale Graves is an incredible singer, and more personable and approachable than Danzig ever could be. But, I'm not looking to start anything, nor tarnish my incredible experiences with petty bullshit such as this.

It's the NEW "Misfits" that are desecrating the bands good name. Dez, Jerry, and whoever else they got after Marky Ramone. It's a sad state of affairs.

loserib
Thats awsome we played a show with him on October 5th it was a great show and he was a really cool guy to hang out with.i had him sign my American Psyco Album and my Scream Video .i also really enjoyed the fact that he did play some of his Misfits stuff.Like Dig Up Her Bones ,American Psyco and saturday is allright for crying

barbarossa
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction

Danzig was overrated. He may have been the brains behind the band, but his vocals were shit.

It's the NEW "Misfits" that are desecrating the bands good name. Dez, Jerry, and whoever else they got after Marky Ramone. It's a sad state of affairs.

Danzigs Vox shit? He's not called a modern day-Elvis because his Vocals are shit.

The Graves Era 'Fits were also 'New' misfits and they, like the project 1950 Misfits of today, were shit. Simply put, the Misfits WERE Danzig. Without him, they are nothing but a name.

mr.smiley
And it always goes to the split between new and old misfits.I'm personaly a huge fan of both.Only is cool as hell and so is graves.Danzig is an ass no matter if he was the brains behind it or not.I would still love to see a full blown reunion though.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.